Heart Palps Support Group

[Co...]

I just wanted to chime in being another heart palp sufferer :( Unfortunately I was getting these darn things before I started taking the ativan .Most likely its due to hormonal fluctuations or so the doctors think .I am periomenopause and the pms is off the chain lately . For the past five days I get the HP when I wake up and its so bad I have to take breaks and lay down a lot .Im still managing a  45 minute walk .So I figure I must not be too bad off . Im at .189 daily ativan .I take a dose every twelve hours .So I am getting down there .Oddly enough the only symptoms I have right now is on and off anxiety and depression and bad fatigue with some heart palps . This might seem like a lot but compared to some people on here Ive been reading about I think I am fairly lucky but then again I havent been on them too long and have been slowly tapering since one week after starting them . I am just now starting to feel close to normal memory wise so I am pretty sure I wouldnt have been able to just go cold turkey with them even after a couple of weeks .This is some gnarly stuff to say the least . Does anyone know at what point the lorazapam no longer has a therapeutic effect ? The lowest dose is basically .25 .But does it still mess with brain chemistry all the way to 0 ?

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Ha...]

• [me...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with this affecting us long after a therapeutic dose has been tapered past is that our gaba receptors have been temporarily damaged(in lay mans terms).  That's why I call BS on any dr who says to me it still can't be withdrawal as the drug is out of your system.  Yes it is but the damage isn't healed ignorant imbecile  >:D

I have a weird question. I do have PVCs that I feel and have had them in the past. This issue has come and gone over the years though it had been a long time since I had them before the Benzos. I get this feeling in the right side of my chest that is kind of a mini wave. It feels like that it might have some nerve component. I am also having a lot of muscle twitching. I was wondering if any of you guys have felt that and do you think it is also a PVC or something twitching and impinging on a nerve? I realize that it is difficult (nigh impossible) to determine these things over the Internet but I would love to hear anyone who has an opinion to offer.

I have a weird question. I do have PVCs that I feel and have had them in the past. This issue has come and gone over the years though it had been a long time since I had them before the Benzos. I get this feeling in the right side of my chest that is kind of a mini wave. It feels like that it might have some nerve component. I am also having a lot of muscle twitching. I was wondering if any of you guys have felt that and do you think it is also a PVC or something twitching and impinging on a nerve? I realize that it is difficult (nigh impossible) to determine these things over the Internet but I would love to hear anyone who has an opinion to offer.

I think you would have to check your pulse at the same time you have a muscle spasm to feel if your heart skips. I've had those muscle spasms all over, and when they were in my chest or over my ribs they were scary. I checked my pulse when I was having them and they weren't related.

Hi All,

I'm leery of posting this (for reasons that I will explain), but it's something I would want to know about if I was a BB with heart palps, which I am, so here goes...

I THINK use of Hemp paste that is reportedly lab tested to be about 24% CBD and about .78% THC (and therefore would be considered "legalish" in all 50 states) and which contains a lot of other canniboid terpenes and such, has helped my heart palps.

I was referred for medical marijuana (I live in an mmj legal state) due to seizure disorder, but never, ever, having tried it before, I was just too uncomfortable and worried about how it might affect my benzo wd and my arrhythmia -- plus, they had all these VERY unmedical sounding names (like "couch lock", "purple haze" and "skunk monk" that made me skeptical) so my doc and I agreed I would just start with straight, but high grade,  Hemp paste from a supposedly reputable company.

My first dose sort of freaked me out, but I didn't really feel much except MAYBE a bit more relaxed. I was told it would take awhile (4 -14 days) to "activate" my endocannabinoid system (since I never used mj before) and then if I didn't feel results in 30-60 days it probably wouldn't help me much, especially since there is some evidence that seizure suppression may take higher THC levels in some people.

It has been well over a week now and while I don't know if it is supressing seizure activity since I don't have another EEG for a couple more weeks, I DO notice that, surprisingly, I am having much less arrhythmia. This is something I certainly did not expect...my doc just wants fewer seizures and I just want OFF the Benzos so we decided to give mmj a try. Of course I have no way of knowing for sure that this is due to the Hemp paste, but I haven't changed anything else. I have also noticed my tremors and muscle cramps are easing a bit as are the horrible headaches I was getting so often. They are not gone, but they do seem better. My vertigo and perceptual issues from wd have NOT improved, but I feel less stressed about things and my spouse even commented that I seem "lighter"...I hope that doesn't mean I'm high...I certainly don't feel high at all and I don't want to!

The research I found suggests that high THC levels can actually cause arrhythmia and tachycardia, but other studies suggest that CBD may improve arrhythmia in ischemic patients...it says nothing about CBD improving palps caused by stress or anatomical defects. The mechanism suggested is direct effect on the CBD receptors, but I have read that CBD may be a strong anti-inflammatory and there were a couple of reports that suggested anti-inflammatory meds can sometimes improve certain types of arrhythmia so it's still a mystery to my why the Hemp paste might have had such a marked effect and I'm still a little concerned as to it's effect on GABA and GABA receptors as I tried to wade through that, but it seemed rather complicated and I am still trying to tackle it.

I'm by no means suggesting anyone run out and get Hemp paste. For one thing, it is a very poorly regulated industry and there is some bad stuff out there. I got mine through a medical facility that tests for various cannabinods and their levels and tests for toxins and contaminants. For another, I think 2 weeks use is a very short time to be feeling effects. And lastly, I really have no way of knowing for sure the improvement is due to the Hemp paste or of knowing if this is a temporary reaction as my endocannabinoid system activates or whether it really is helping me. All I know is I'm having about 85% fewer palps and hardly any PSVT at all. Since the percentage of CBD is relatively high, I take a dose of about the size of a large grain of rice 2-3 times per day. It tastes funny and it burns my throat a little bit, but as I THINK it might/could be making a difference, I'm okay with that.

I will be curious to see if this continues...

Anyone else have any experience or info about mmj and arrhythmia or heart palps?

Best,

Mo

Thanks for the post Mosart. I live in a state where it's legal medically as well.

There's just not enough research done to know what the effects are, so we have to go on our own experience. In my experience it doesn't hurt. Can't tell if it helps or not.

In my opinion, IF I were going to try it for heart related stuff I would stay away from anything with a high amount of THC. It can activate the sympathetic nervous system. I think high CBD content would be the smartest.

Interestingly, I could see where someone who has GI related palps could benefit if it calms the GI stuff.

Also MMJ is very dosage dependent. Especially for folks with no tolerance. It can go from therapeutic to paradoxical very quickly.

AWESOME mosart!

I've been wondering about CBD on arrhythmia's as well.  I'm in Canada, and we are on the verge of legalizing marijuana completely here so I'm hopeful that I will have a selection of products to try in the coming years.   

I've also done a bit of reading that suggest High CBN gel or capsules can be great for insomnia.  Better sleep helps with my arrhythmia for sure.

I'm glad it's helping you with your heart palps mosart.  very very cool.

So glad that the hemp is helping you Mosart!  I had heard it is helpful for so many things but, have never heard about it helping heart palpitations.  That is good news and hope it continues to help you.  I started using a CBD oil a couple months ago and it helps me with GI issues, tremors, anxiety and muscle aches.  It took awhile to kick in and I take a very low dose still but, pleased with the results so far.  Wondernova had a good point about it possibly helping with GI related palps, too.  And, yes, a reputable MM/CBD company is very important with all this being so new. 

Hi all Im getting the irregular heart rhythm myself .I had a stress test about a year ago and wore a halter monitor and it showed some pvc's and pac's . I have had them on and off since my early twenties .I suspect its always been hormone related because I had irregular cycles my whole life .Flash forward to irregular hormones due to periomenopause PLUS tapering ativan and I have a big old mess on my hands .Im wondering if anyone knows how accurate the samsung health app is for detecting an irregular rhythm ?I know it is designed for calculating HB per minute but what about the actual heart pattern ? I have the galaxy 6 and if it is accurate my heart rhythm is pretty darn wonky .Just wondering if I should even pay attention to it . Sometimes I get a real squiggly pattern and a lot of squared off beats ( if you have the app its more rounded when normal ) . Anyone know ?

I have noticed that I might have been experiencing chronic hyperventilation syndrome which is often related to high anxiety states. I have been trying to breathe only through my nose and trying to breathe from my abdomen as well in a controlled manner. I have noticed that my pvcs/pacs have dropped off a cliff recently after I have tried this. It also has seemed to help with some of my muscle tension issues ( not all). It could be a coincidence but hyperventilation is related to some crazy stuff like chest spasms, arrhythmia, and vasospams. I will continue to try this out and let you know how it goes.

That's awesome news MHW69. Can you share how you're training yourself to do this throughout the whole day please? I can do it if I concentrate, but throughout the day when I'm not thinking about it I notice my breathing gets shallow and fast. I know if I learn to breathe "better" it would help a lot. Thanks!

If anybodies out there I could use a few words of encouragement..

Use to have pvcs and pacs..they for the most part are gone or if they come don't bother me....

Couple days ago started getting very short runs of fast rate....kind of like a panic attack......resting heart rate kicked up over the last week or so from 64  to 80s... now today it wanted to stay in upper 90/ low100s....Leaving me feeling shaky and low grade panic...

I know it won't hurt me... or kill me with a heart attack but that sure isn't how it feels....short of er or drugs anybody know how to get hr to slow? ..........lots of stress

I know it won't hurt me... or kill me with a heart attack but that sure isn't how it feels....short of er or drugs anybody know how to get hr to slow? ..........lots of stress

What I have done is find a quiet ( I know sometimes really hard to do)dark place, (like the closet, seriously, the closet ) and just focus on slow steady breathing.  Stress can be really difficulty to overcome.  Sometimes I feel like the princess of stress, not quite the queen, but I can be pretty close because things that are important to me have a great effect on me.  Hope this is of some help.  Sorry, I have no magic potions that are safe to take, would be nice.

Sweet pea

thanks Sweet pea, it did help.  I usually am not bothered so much by this...it's just something new to accept..

My entire house is quiet..very quiet..I went through a half hour directed meditation twice and almost fell asleep at one point but it didn't slow my heart....finally an hour or so later it's like a switch was flipped...Bpm is back in 60 s...just having a few sporadic minute long runs of fast rate...

Yep, a magic potion would be great

Nomne

Hi all Im getting the irregular heart rhythm myself .I had a stress test about a year ago and wore a halter monitor and it showed some pvc's and pac's . I have had them on and off since my early twenties .I suspect its always been hormone related because I had irregular cycles my whole life .Flash forward to irregular hormones due to periomenopause PLUS tapering ativan and I have a big old mess on my hands .Im wondering if anyone knows how accurate the samsung health app is for detecting an irregular rhythm ?I know it is designed for calculating HB per minute but what about the actual heart pattern ? I have the galaxy 6 and if it is accurate my heart rhythm is pretty darn wonky .Just wondering if I should even pay attention to it . Sometimes I get a real squiggly pattern and a lot of squared off beats ( if you have the app its more rounded when normal ) . Anyone know ?

Hi jinko,

I have a congenital heart defect that causes (among other things) palpitations, arrhythmia and tachycardia. Each if these terms means slightly different things: palpitations is a general term and can be caused by a pounding heart, simple ectopic beats or indicate an actual rhythm disturbance such as PSVT or atrial fibrillation; arrhythmia is an irregular heart beat that can be at a slow, "normal" or an elevated rate of speed; tachycardia refers to an elevated pulse rate and the underlying rhythm can be normal or irregular. The ONLY way to really know for sure what is going on is to capture them on an EKG. Tests your cardio doc can order, like holter monitor, event monitor, Ziopatch (my preferred method) -- or in serious cases an small device can be implanted under the skin near the heart that lasts for 1-3 years and reports rhythms via a cell phone signal.

Over the years I have had ALL these monitoring devices at some point or another. Having largely determined what my problems is and how to handle it, I am now using an AlivCor (new name is Kardia) which is a little device that attaches to my Samsung Galaxy smart phone and actually provides a 2 lead EKG reading that my cardio doc, or the AlivCor company, can interpret. The device stores and sends my EKG readings and even does a "rough" interpretive reading right there on the spot so I can get an immediate reading via their proprietary algorithms that will tell me the EKG is "normal" or give me a recommendation to call my doc or go immediately to the ER. It is NOT perfect (it is only 2 lead and has limitations in what types of arrhythmia it can detect and decode) and it does NOT replace any of the actual testing methods mentioned above, but my cardio doc and I both like the device very much because it allows me the freedom to live my life and still be vigilant with my heart rhythm issues. It appears to be very accurate for reflecting heart rate and is able to detect many abnormal heart rhythms. It is great at picking up AFib, but not so good at VFib and the older version I have often erroneously misinterprets ectopic beats for AFib giving me a false positive, but since I've learned to read the things pretty well, I've still found it invaluable for reassurance and for tracking data on my heart rate, types of arrhythmia I am having and regular EKG readings and my cardio doc can use the data it provides to help me manage my condition.

The older version is the device I have and it cost about $75 three years ago. I attached right to the back of my phone, where it still works great despite being lugged around, dropped constantly and set in or on various surfaces. The app has been free to use for BASIC services. They recently changed their name and their service levels so I don't know exactly what it costs now and what services you get, but I would definitely buy it again in...a heartbeat...as I think it is probably the best device and app out there now for public use for monitoring heart rate, palps and arrhythmia episodes. I included the link below.

Benzo w/d has DEFINITELY messed with my heart rate and my heart rhythm, so I know how frustrating and frightening it can be, but I would suggest getting whatever support and reassurance you need and maybe consider trying some meditation or relaxation exercises -- they have helped me a lot. Best wishes to you and I hope you are soon feeling better.

Mo

http://www.alivecor.com/

Jeesh I just realized I posted twice in this topic .I thought I posted once in each of the heart palp threads lol. Sorry to be redundant guys . Anyway ,thanks mosart for the good info . I have been diagnosed with tachacardia ,pvc's and pac's .Ive had it all on and off over the years .I got stretches of being symptom free for years on end .But when it hits it tends to stick around for awhile .Now (as I mentioned previously ) I have been getting them right and left between stopping the beta blocker and hormone fluc's and withdrawal . Its been really bad .Oddly enough its happening with low bp and low pulse .It used to be it was more common with the higher numbers .I also smoke .I think I could almost eliminate them if I stopped smoking .But its super hard when trying to taper these meds too .I split my dose into 2 and I had to take my full 24 hour dose at one time and since then the heart rhythm is WAY better .Which suggests to me this heart episode is indeed related to tapering .I have no idea what they would or could do for me at the cardiologists because my bp is so low these days .A beta blocker would knock it down even further and that would not be good .I have a cardiology appointment in may so until then I need to just keep moving slow in my taper .I am going to tell them what has been happening when I see them and go from there .I have been pretty scared a few times on the heart rhythm graph on my galaxy .A couple of times it even stopped picking up my rhythm .Ive googled and googled to see if the rhythm on the galaxy is very reliable without the extra ekg app one can use but I cant find a thing on it .

For anyone looking for more info, reassurance and specifics on palps, arrhythmia and tachycardia, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, of York Cardiology in the UK has a great YouTube channel. You can find many interesting videos at his channel; York Cardiology on YouTube...I can't figure out how to put in a link so you can just go to YouTube and type York Cardiology into the search bar and it should come up. Although he does not mention anything about benzo w/d and palps, it is still good info.

I can't be the only one with this issue--bras bug the heck out of me right now! I found these extender tabs in the lingerie section that have been a life saver--I put them on super loose, and as I'm doing better I can tighten it up. They work great and make me feel a lot more comfortable.

Meowie, omg I hate to wear a bra.  I have a permanent rash at the spot where the bra closes.  Even wear sports bras and those itch.  I hunch up then the breathing gets screwy and it feels like the heart will pound out of the chest.

I only wear a bra for society, not in society no bra!

Sweet pea

• 2 weeks later...

Jinko...I am just reading your post as I have had a return of mild palps....at month 29....so I wanted to scan the thread.

In answer to your question about the Note 4...I have a note 4 and just recently started using the app for heart rate etc...just playing with it with my daughter...I think it is fairly accurate. .  But when I really want to know about b/p and irregular beat I use my home monitor b/p machine...it's a small apparatus .. really easy to use .  And it counts your beats and displays the number....and mine has a heart symbol that vibrates if my beat is irregular. The machine is a little spendy, but has been a source of reassurance for me. My b/p can be 140/90 if I am revved....and drop back down to 110/66 within minutes . It is great for actually seeing how effective your breathing or meditation is.  ...In acute I had horrible b/p spikes and wracking Palos that sent me to er twice..  once I started using my home monitor I could see that it would come down once I calmed down....there was a time I was actually sleeping with it next to me on the bed....rather than go to er...lol....That was a long time ago...now I take it maybe once a week...I think the home monitor is more reliable than the phone app....but when you are out and about I think the phone app at least gives you a ball park idea....hope that helps. 

Hi cooperten ,Thanks for responding :) Mine is actually the galaxy 6 but Its still the samsung health app . I used to have a bp monitor with the irregular heart beat alert but I had to get a new one and it doesnt have the heart rhythm feature . With the old bp monitor I did indeed have a lot of irregular heart rhythm's. I am one of those people that can feel those suckers really well .The cardiologist told me he could garauntee if they did a certain heart procedure on me ( they do it while awake ) most people wouldnt feel it but I would .Some people are born that way he said . I told him lovely lets avoid that procedure ,lol. My irregular rhythm is a lot better then it was but its still daily .It is being triggered by the tapering and hormones so I am just going to ride it out and hope that at some point it gos away . Sorry to hear you are getting the palps again .How are you doing otherwise ? Are the symptoms gone or going away ( besides the heart palps ) ?

HI Jinko....I am 29 months out and was feeling close to healed . I hadn't had any real palps for months. Then I got a virus and was prescribed an antibiotic that has macrolides in it which I don't tolerate well....So I have been sent temporarily back to acute with panics, anxiety, jitters etc etc . I know it will eventually end. I am now taking 6 mg of atenolol temporarily ...which I really don't want to do, but have to say that it's helping

If you are still tapering, just let me tell you that after I got through the first year my palps pretty much disappeared. Still have some mild pvcs that I have had forever with a regular irregular beat....I hardly even notice them anymore. I know your heart stuff is more complicated but I hope once you are further through w/d your palps ......coop

• 2 weeks later...
Went on an SSRI for two weeks at a tiny dose and then stopped. It's been a week and still getting really strong heart beats and palps that make me extremely anxious and depressed. Why did I listen to my doc? When will this end...

This is for cooperton . Im curious how long you were on the ativan before you started tapering and also how your symptoms were at the end of your taper ? Were you feeling better on your taper before you jumped ? Or did it get better after you jumped or was it about the same ?

I just wanted to get in on this group. Nearly 4 months out and heart is so fast, especially in the AMs.  The less I sleep, the more the heart races and the more the heart races the less I sleep.  Glad to know I am not alone.  But this can't be healthy...Not reinstating though.

For anyone looking for more info, reassurance and specifics on palps, arrhythmia and tachycardia, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, of York Cardiology in the UK has a great YouTube channel. You can find many interesting videos at his channel; York Cardiology on YouTube...I can't figure out how to put in a link so you can just go to YouTube and type York Cardiology into the search bar and it should come up. Although he does not mention anything about benzo w/d and palps, it is still good info.

gonna look at this stuff.

Meowie I have the bra issue too.  Thanks for the extender idea.