Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

I've posted a few things on this thread and really appreciate all the responses. I have been off ambien for going on three weeks, I took it nightly for 6 months. I was initially on 12.5 mg and tapered down to 2.5 before stopping. I'm not sleeping well at all, but expected that. I have been battling Graves' disease and feel that after A horrirific 10 months I'm getting that under control. I've had disconnected/dizzy feelings throughout the time while I was sick. It has been my worst symptom. I also have a really hard time explaining it....everything is sort of swirling and rocking, I feel like I just can't access the world around me (de realization?).  It was getting better, which is a reason I decided to get off ambien. But, since stopping it's been horrible. It's totally debilitating and I am very scared by it. I'm wondering if this could be from the w/d? Also, is it possible that this was a side effect/inter dose w/d and is worse now because of the stopping? I'm just so scared it won't go away and I'll never feel like "me" again. Thank you!!

Erp--so sorry you have to go through this. Three weeks is not a long time in the world of withdrawal and psych drugs. Insomnia is a dreadful thing and makes everything else awful quite magnified. As you sleep improves (which it will) you are going to feel sooo much better.

Take the best care of yourself that you can, and try to be patient while your body is readjusting. Are you taking any other meds?

Erp--so sorry you have to go through this. Three weeks is not a long time in the world of withdrawal and psych drugs. Insomnia is a dreadful thing and makes everything else awful quite magnified. As you sleep improves (which it will) you are going to feel sooo much better.

Take the best care of yourself that you can, and try to be patient while your body is readjusting. Are you taking any other meds?

I am on methimazole and a tiny bit of propranalol for hear palpitations from

Graves' disease. I was on celexa for 5 months but got off about 6 weeks ago pretty uneventfully. Thank you for your encouragement!!

I agree! It makes w/d 100x that more difficult. We have to get sleep, it goes along with nutrition and all the rest. I decided to add melatonin at night. Does well for me (thank goodness) so I'm able to get at least 5 hours per night as opposed to none.

LL,

I know that is what Dr. Ashton advises and honestly, a lot of people have very sensitive CNS-es in withdrawal.  I couldn't tolerate B vitamins for the first 2 years off, for instance, but did fine with all the other supplements I'm on.  That made treating my adrenal exhaustion more difficult as a lot of supplements for adrenal fatigue include B vitamins but they made me feel revved up and nauseated.

I got drawn back to looking at amino acids recently as I'm trying to find ways to heal my mitochondria and improve my energy levels.  In addition, I bought Dr. Kelly Brogan's great new book "A Mind of Your Own" and read her interview with Trudy Scott (www.everywomanover29.com) who worked with Julia Ross for years.  I'm adding Tyrosine to my mix - just started today.

Dr. Brogan is a big proponent of putting in the nutritional supports to help with withdrawal in advance of starting the taper process.  Honestly, if I hadn't done this and also balanced my hormones, I'm not sure I could have done this.  Hard to sleep when you don't have enough building blocks to manufacture the neurotransmitters and hormones necessary for sleep.  Optimal nutrition is key and I'm more and more convinced that some judicious shoring up can really help us.

This is an excerpt from Dr. Brogan's interview with Trudy Scott on Trudy's blog where she talks about using amino acids in withdrawal.  The caveat is that you must make sure there are no interactions with other supplements and be mindful that you should be working with someone knowledgable.

-----------

Dr. Kelly Brogan: Yes. Absolutely. I am quite certain that there are many, many, many roads to physiologic and psycho spiritual resiliency. I, in no way, intend to position myself as having the answer by any means. I am very much trying to create a space for all of those who are passionate about natural healing, including yourself and our colleagues, because I think that just about everything in the natural health arena offers you the potential for very high yield, very low-risk healthcare.

I certainly don’t consider myself an expert in amino acids and don’t have a fraction of the knowledge that you have about this arena. That being said, I do use them for tapers specifically. If I use supplements I wait after a month of dietary change before introducing any supplements, mostly because I want to, I don’t know, send patients the message of what a single intervention, in terms of lifestyle, what a dietary intervention can do in terms of moving the needle of their health. I often don’t want to cloud the picture with other interventions like even supplements or even detox.

After that period, if it is necessary, I’ll often lead with some of the supplements that I talk about, whether it’s probiotic or glandulars, I use a lot based on my work with the only mentor I’ve ever had, Dr. Nicholas Gonzales. I learned a lot about using glandulars, using specific minerals, using fatty acids, that sort of thing. Well, we’re working with SSRIs. I tend to use tryptophan more often than 5-HTP. I do use tryptophan even in the 3 to 6 gram range before dinner and before bed. I would say that it’s helpful often, not in every case, with a lot of the insomnia specifically. It’s about the worst thing that can happen in the setting of a taper. It’s the kind of insomnia that’s induced by psychiatric medication taper.

I have several tricks up my sleeve, and that’s certainly one of them. Through my own self-education, and again, you may have a more sophisticated perspective on this that when you use 5-HTP or tryptophan for the longest period of time, meaning over a couple of weeks, so you want to balance it out with tyrosine or DL-phenylalanine. If we are using it for a period of time, I might incorporate that. I have found that when I work with Wellbutrin tapers, it’s extremely helpful. Tyrosine and actually an herb called mucuna support dopamine.

Then all of my patients who are tapering – I have them on a blend of amino acids.

-----------

There is more on this interview in the audio on Trudy's post.  I'll post a link for it if anyone is interested.  Really recommend Dr. Brogan's book.  The audio (full interview) is at the bottom of the post:

http://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/medication-tapering-withdrawal-kelly-brogan/

Here is a link to Dr. Kelly Brogan's latest blog post on benzodiazepines and withdrawal.  An eye opening read:

http://kellybroganmd.com/benzos/?utm_source=Kelly+Brogan+MD+Newsletter&utm_campaign=81e934abd5-Benzos%3A+A+Dance+With+the+Devil&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d0f977a8c5-81e934abd5-122010197

If you go to her website, she is enrolling people for a Beta version of her program based on her book.  I'm not sure, but I think this may be free of charge initially (for the Beta participants).  I've signed up and am curious to see what it is like, I loved her book and am learning a lot.

:smitten:

Ali

Hi Ali, Thanks for your very long and comprehensive post. Much appreciated. So much information! I will gradually work my way through although I am off to the east coast on Wednesday.

I kinda waffle between what Dr Ashton recommends and trying supplements. I have had some good effects from supplements over the years. Perhaps some did nothing or some harm but who knows! Certainly many drugs I have taken in the past have done greater harm - ie Zopiclone, Losec, antibiotics long term for sinus infections etc.

I guess all we can do is research them carefully and try them. There is much that is unknown and we are all individuals.

I think I will look into the amino acids again and keep an open mind. I have some in the cupboard and can try them.

In my wanderings today on this group I discovered a thread by Perserverance on MCT Oil for BW and for boosting mitochondria.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=127796.0

Very interesting thread. I’d love it if you read this thread…would like your thoughts on it. I have used glutathione in the past but did not see much effect. That was when I was on full dose Zopiclone and somewhat dragged down especially in the mornings.

Thanks for the links. I will check out Dr Kelly Brogan. Interesting that she was mentored by Gonzales. I am interested in trying Tyrosine and Mucuna at some point but it is on the back burner for now. Dopamine tested low on an Organic acids test but I want to wait and see how things shake out once I’ve been off Zop for awhile. Testing glutathione in urine may not be valid.

I will get her book. Thanks for the links to Trudy’s post and Dr Brogan’s latest blog post. I will see if I can sign up for the Beta version of her program.

Gotta go to bed!!! Still have some jet lag and am soon to depart on another trip. I love that I can do these trips but it is a bit hard on the body.

Thanks again for all the information.  LL

I take 4,000 IU of vitamin D3 every day because even though I live in Hawaii, I developed a sun sensitivity and must avoid the sun. I can't say that it did much of anything to help with my Ambien withdrawal, unless of course, it would have been much worse without.

Do/did you take the Vit D first thing in the a.m.? Was it oil based? I ask as my naturopath says it is important to have it with oil and the oil based supplement helps us absorb it. I am leaving on a trip and wonder how I will carry it. I think it needs to be refrigerated once opened. LL

I do take an oil base D-3 supplement. I have always taken it with breakfast since I am trying to replace a lack of sunshine rather than using it for sleep (never heard that it can be a sleep aid). I have never refrigerated mine and just checked my bottle and it said nothing about needing to refrigerate it. A large bottle lasts me for a long time and it is always just sitting in my cabinet.

Restless Legs! Well, it is 5 a.m. and I finally got up after a frustrating time trying to sleep. Restless legs are a huge problem today.

I have had Restless legs and Periodic Limb Movement disorder in the past too. Lately the RLS has been getting more frequent. Perhaps the Zopiclone covered up the problem?

Medications for RLS and PLM are not something I want to take. Too many side effects and some worsen the condition longer term.

Anyone else have this? What do you do about it? I did have a diet coke last night at dinner time while out visiting. I usually don't have any caffeine except a very small amount in the morning. Whatever possessed me to have it?! I also took a Benadryl when I couldn't sleep. Think that just made it worse. Maybe I will try an epsom salt bath.

Thanks for any help you may have! LL

Restless Legs! Well, it is 5 a.m. and I finally got up after a frustrating time trying to sleep. Restless legs are a huge problem today.

I have had Restless legs and Periodic Limb Movement disorder in the past too. Lately the RLS has been getting more frequent. Perhaps the Zopiclone covered up the problem?

Medications for RLS and PLM are not something I want to take. Too many side effects and some worsen the condition longer term.

Anyone else have this? What do you do about it? I did have a diet coke last night at dinner time while out visiting. I usually don't have any caffeine except a very small amount in the morning. Whatever possessed me to have it?! I also took a Benadryl when I couldn't sleep. Think that just made it worse. Maybe I will try an epsom salt bath.

Thanks for any help you may have! LL

L.L. Perhaps it's because you just cut your Z. 

So now you know about evening caffeine and just chalk that up to learning about what you can't tolerate (for now).  My sleep isn't great but when I made longer holds, I adjusted and started sleeping a bit longer.  I hope your RLS abates after this cut.  WBB

Thanks Wannabebetter for the support. It is interesting that everything looks 10x worse in the middle of the night! No perspective. I did get to sleep finally.

You are right about the caffeine. I don't think the sleep problem was dose related as I do a 1% cut per day of current dose. I may have to hold a bit right now as I start traveling again but am anxious to get off this drug!

I do hope the RLS is not an ongoing problem. I will have to be very disciplined re my health and sleep habits. I can't just rely on Zopiclone anymore to over ride the problem.

First night last night without Lunesta!!!!! I did it! I woke up like 10 times but nonetheless I slept!!!!!!

Fingers crossed and how fantastic a feeling is it not to be chained to this drug?  And you slept!

The body remembers!  So happy for you.  I remember my first night off, so nervous.  Three years out, I sleep 10 hours straight through most nights.  Heaven.

Ali

Restless leg syndrome has been mentioned. In my early days here I was hearing a lot about magnesium. I did some internet research and some of the signs of magnesium deficiency were said to be anxiety, insomnia, restless leg syndrome and in extreme cases, seizures. I'm sure we all familiar with at least a couple of those symptoms.

Supposedly there is a large number of people deficient not only in Vitamin D3, but also in magnesium. I looked up the food sources for this mineral, and the best ones were nuts, like almonds and cashews, and dark green leafy veggies like spinach and kale. How many people actually eat those foods on a daily basis?

Also I found a map that shows areas of the U.S. that have low amounts of magnesium in their soil. So even a food that normally contains adequate amounts of magnesium may not have much of it depending on where it's grown.

I've always taken multi-vitamins and now, with this tapering am also taking moderate amounts of Vitamin D3 and magnesium. A test a year ago showed I was deficient in Vitamin D3, since I began the supplement, it has shown to be normal. My magnesium level is also normal, what is what before, I don't know, but I displayed some of those deficiency symptoms before, both on benzos and while tapering off. I don't have much trouble with anxiety and insomnia now even though I have tapered off Ambien completely and am in the process of tapering Ativan.

It's been said that if a person eats a balanced diet they should have no need for supplements. But that's a big if. Add soil depletion and the use of other medications besides and including benzos and the need for supplements becomes more of an issue. I believe in moderate use.

First night last night without Lunesta!!!!! I did it! I woke up like 10 times but nonetheless I slept!!!!!!

Congrats! I felt that freedom too when I went my first night without Ambien.

Restless leg syndrome has been mentioned. In my early days here I was hearing a lot about magnesium. I did some internet research and some of the signs of magnesium deficiency were said to be anxiety, insomnia, restless leg syndrome and in extreme cases, seizures. I'm sure we all familiar with at least a couple of those symptoms.

Supposedly there is a large number of people deficient not only in Vitamin D3, but also in magnesium. I looked up the food sources for this mineral, and the best ones were nuts, like almonds and cashews, and dark green leafy veggies like spinach and kale. How many people actually eat those foods on a daily basis?

Also I found a map that shows areas of the U.S. that have low amounts of magnesium in their soil. So even a food that normally contains adequate amounts of magnesium may not have much of it depending on where it's grown.

I've always taken multi-vitamins and now, with this tapering am also taking moderate amounts of Vitamin D3 and magnesium. A test a year ago showed I was deficient in Vitamin D3, since I began the supplement, it has shown to be normal. My magnesium level is also normal, what is what before, I don't know, but I displayed some of those deficiency symptoms before, both on benzos and while tapering off. I don't have much trouble with anxiety and insomnia now even though I have tapered off Ambien completely and am in the process of tapering Ativan.

It's been said that if a person eats a balanced diet they should have no need for supplements. But that's a big if. Add soil depletion and the use of other medications besides and including benzos and the need for supplements becomes more of an issue. I believe in moderate use.

Just trying to understand...are you saying that if we have more magnesium and vitamin D3 in our diet we are less likely to have RLS? I'm not following how exactly soils fit into all this?  Thanks! ~CeCe

Thanks GABAreceptors. I agree that many people are low on magnesium but I am not likely one of them. I take 2 magnesium citrate in the morning and 2 Mag Threonate at bedtime plus I try to have some dark green leafy veggies every day.

I think perhaps that the restless legs may be a withdrawal symptom as I read that benzos can treat it.

I also read that one should take more potassium but I've noticed that I get the restless leg feeling after eating a banana which has a lot of potassium in it.

Fingers crossed that I will have a better time tonight. LL

PS: You were smart to taper the Ambien first. Glad that you are not experiencing symptoms from your Ativan taper.

LL,

Chris Kresser has a good article on RLS:

http://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/source-natural-gaba-calm-anxiety/

I think that it may be linked to low dopamine levels too.  When I take Trazodone at night, I find that I have a touch of it in my right leg, particularly just after I take it.  As I've tapered my Trazodone down, it is getting less and less.

The other thing is that SIBO may be a factor.  Chris Kresser posted a Twitter reference to this article:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21881/1/The-Restless-Leg-Syndrome-SIBO-Celiac-Connection/Page1.html

I've read that one simple solution for some people is to sleep in compression socks, haven't tried this but it is inexpensive.

I can absolutely see this being related to benzos/z-drugs but can find no proof!

Ali

I'm done with Lunesta. I'm struggling but optimistic. Every other day though I'm taking .50mg of Ativan which is dumb if I'm trying to heal bc that's just as bad as taking Lunesta. So it's like I'm trading one poison for another?!?! 😩

Need your advice! I started taking the Theanine but every time I take it I feel nausea. So I feel like maybe I shouldn't take?

I just wish I found something that could help me through the withdrawals. How long do you think this rebound insomnia will last?

Now I feel like I'm in a rut! Bc it seems like all on here that have successfully tapered off a zdrug had the help with another drug.

LL,

Chris Kresser has a good article on RLS:

http://www.everywomanover29.com/blog/source-natural-gaba-calm-anxiety/

I think that it may be linked to low dopamine levels too.  When I take Trazodone at night, I find that I have a touch of it in my right leg, particularly just after I take it.  As I've tapered my Trazodone down, it is getting less and less.

The other thing is that SIBO may be a factor.  Chris Kresser posted a Twitter reference to this article:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21881/1/The-Restless-Leg-Syndrome-SIBO-Celiac-Connection/Page1.html

I've read that one simple solution for some people is to sleep in compression socks, haven't tried this but it is inexpensive.

I can absolutely see this being related to benzos/z-drugs but can find no proof!

Ali

Thanks Ali for all the good information. I could not find anything in the first link about RLS however. Can you please check it for me?

I think it likely that the gut ecology has a big effect on RLS. I have suspected that I have some SIBO and read quite a bit about it. It seems to be OK if I am careful re diet. Not always the case!

Thanks for the idea of using compression stockings.

I read that Trazodone increases dopamine! So, I don't understand why your RLS is getting better. We are complicated beings!

Thanks again.  LL

I'm done with Lunesta. I'm struggling but optimistic. Every other day though I'm taking .50mg of Ativan which is dumb if I'm trying to heal bc that's just as bad as taking Lunesta. So it's like I'm trading one poison for another?!?! 😩

Need your advice! I started taking the Theanine but every time I take it I feel nausea. So I feel like maybe I shouldn't take?

I just wish I found something that could help me through the withdrawals. How long do you think this rebound insomnia will last?

Now I feel like I'm in a rut! Bc it seems like all on here that have successfully tapered off a zdrug had the help with another drug.

Hi FreeSpirit, I am wondering if the Celexa is contributing to the insomnia. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/04/celexa-might-trigger-insomnia-in-some-patients/index.htm

Yes, it is a bad idea to be taking Ativan! Have you talked to your doctor?  LL

Hi FreeSpirit, I am wondering if the Celexa is contributing to the insomnia. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2011/04/celexa-might-trigger-insomnia-in-some-patients/index.htm

Yes he told me to take Unisom. Anyone try that?

Just trying to understand...are you saying that if we have more magnesium and vitamin D3 in our diet we are less likely to have RLS? I'm not following how exactly soils fit into all this?  Thanks! ~CeCe

Magnesium deficiency can cause restless leg syndrome. Because some area soils are deficient in magnesium, it might be necessary to use a magnesium supplement.

The key word is "can". So if I had RLS, I'd sure want to at least try a magnesium supplement.

Hi Freespirit,

It probably would not hurt to try Unisom, but I would recommend taking the Diphenhydramine formulation and not the Doxylamine version. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient found in Benadryl and you can find it in a generic version that is much cheaper than Unisom.

It did not work for me early while I was in bad withdrawal, but it seems to help at times (but not always) now. I just take 25 mg. and it sometimes makes me tired enough to fall asleep fast or at least better tolerate being in bed awake on bad nights. Maybe it is just a placebo effect, but it is cheap and I have not felt any side effects yet.

Hi Freespirit,

It probably would not hurt to try Unisom, but I would recommend taking the Diphenhydramine formulation and not the Doxylamine version. Diphenhydramine is the active ingredient found in Benadryl and you can find it in a generic version that is much cheaper than Unisom.

It did not work for me early while I was in bad withdrawal, but it seems to help at times (but not always) now. I just take 25 mg. and it sometimes makes me tired enough to fall asleep fast or at least better tolerate being in bed awake on bad nights. Maybe it is just a placebo effect, but it is cheap and I have not felt any side effects yet.

I like both doxy and diphenhydramine. I will usually alternate them, a couple nights with one, then the other. They sure helped when I tapered off Ambien. Now I use them to help taper off Ativan.

So I tired Unisom last night and slept like a log!! But I can't seem to wake up this morning! A good cup of joe will help I'm sure!

So question to the ones that have taken it....so I took it last night but want to try on my own tonight, is it hard to sleep without? Is it easy for your brain to get addicted to it and then you're screwed if you don't take it?