Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

LadyD!! Congratulations on 22 months!!! I can’t believe how far out we are now but so grateful for it !!!!  Have a celebratory herbal tea for me 💕

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🌹🌹 love you dear friend! Thank you!

From me also congratulations for LadyDen and Deanne… with 21 and 22 months z-drug free! :balloon::boxer::thumbsup:

Jerry

Thank you dear friend Jerry!  🤗🤗🤗🤗

Agoura,

Great to see your update!! I've wondered how you've been. So very sorry for your struggle. I understand you want to keep working and think that is very good. Staying home sick can make some of us worse mentally! I was home during my taper and it didn't make me worse but at about the halfway mark I knew I wanted to get back to working again. I truly got my life back with this taper.

Do not get down on yourself for taking this, no no no. No point, it's all behind us now. But I felt SO SAD and MAD that I gave so much of my life to ambien.

Sounds like you are really being tested to the max and may be quite scared of what lays ahead. There's a lot I could not have faced if my taper had been worse and I really feel for those who have it bad. Yet, I had it soooo horrific in the last years before I got off. I still feel very hopeful for you and want you to feel the same.

LadyDen is my Rock Star here but I respectfully disagree about trying more natural things that can help sleep, within moderation, for myself and believe everyone has their own choice if they want to experiment. I know Dr. Ashton has a list of what not to take and this is a consideration. I've taken things the whole time and tried different things. Most nights I fall asleep on my own and sleep through the night, but the nights I have trouble on one or the other end are a big challenge to my mental health so I am still trying to work with that. I'm not sure what's worse, that I'm awake or that I'm not just surrendering and getting up to do something to take my mind off my worries about sleeplessness. I use or have used taurine; magnesium; valerian; hops; l-theanine; passionflower and also benadryl just occasionally to reset my mental health with a good night sleep. Sometimes when I've taken 1 or 2 of the herbal capsules at 3am I've gone back to sleep.

Another opinion from me: YES, yes yes yes, do the 10 and/or 14 day hold. I did my whole taper at about 14 day intervals, holding a couple of times when under extreme stress. Do Not worry about the end date, please don't push yourself, that is just added stress. I hope holding could make a difference for you. Your idea of holding is the recommended taper schedule and holding in BB terms really means longer than 14 days.

I want to share that I did intermittent fasting during my taper. I ate for a window of 6 to 8 hrs a day and the rest of the time just had clear liquids or nothing. There is something called autophagy--where our cells digest waste inside our body--a housecleaning--that occurs at an increased rate when we fast longer than just overnight. I wonder if this could be a factor in me not having worse symptoms while tapering. I also had a cyst shrink by 50% during this time.

Does a strong work out or a big carb meal ever help? An intense yoga class truly might, that's a deeper kind of exercise and I can remember it making me sleep. Hot bath? That was a nightly part of my taper routine and have done it many times in the middle of the night to go back to sleep. Progesterone cream that is over the counter is worth looking into in my opinion, not dangerous, yes for women in general but for a sleep help sometimes it is extremely mild, from the health food store.

Keep us posted!

Kachina!  So good to hear from you!  I noticed your reference to intermittent fasting.  I am into about a month of this right now.  It has helped tremendously with turning a corner and giving me more energy.  But did you ever find that it might be too much stress on the body?  I do well mostly, but then if another stress comes along (too much stimulation, etc) it pushes me over the edge into a wave.  I truly believe it is helping, but sometimes I feel that I have to take breaks from it.  Did you find this?  I was sleeping 9 hours, now with IF I am waking up 4:30 am.  I read where this could happen especially with women.

Any insights that you uncovered?

Thanks so much!!!

Deanna, how cool!!! I really think it helped my taper. To answer your question I really have never been able to track. Seems the main wave I ever have is leg pain and trouble sleeping ... sometimes I had akisthesia and still do sometimes but seems due to eating sugar maybe? I'm sorry I don't really have any insight other than, yes, I do wonder if it adds to my sleep issues. How many meals do you eat? Do you eat carbs? I really love how much energy and clear thinking I have in the morning. Did you find Gin Stephens---that's the author I learned about it from. Super neat!!! I hope you sleep better and if you're concerned I would suggest eating more!

hugs,

KB

Kachina, lovely post. And it is ok for us to disagree. After all everyone is different with each having their own body. What works for you won’t necessarily work for me or vice versa. So, it is definitely ok with me that you disagree. And you have just as much right as we all do to express things. Your experiences might help someone or Helen’s or Deanna, Jerry, me, etc. That’s why this forum is so valuable. I’ve shared CBTI with some on here and it helped a great deal. Then for some, it doesn’t help. I think it is so awesome of you to take the time to try to help. You’re a very sweet person that I cherish. I said all that to say that we are not called Team Z for nothing!  :thumbsup: Nothing but love here and sweet sleep wishes. I’m so happy that after 20 years of Ambien, you are approaching 1 year and doing well. Way to go! You got off like a true warrior. I remember how proud I was of you when you jumped. Wow!!! Can you believe it’s been almost a year? Is it me or does it seem like time is flying! ?

Love and happy healing to you all. Keep up the good work! ❤️

Ohhhh LadyDen, you are a Wise Woman and that is very wonderful to read. Thank you for your very kind words! I cannot believe the way time has passed and that a year ago I was getting near to jump and SO NERVOUS!!!! OMG YOU have really been the Den Mother here and we are very lucky to have you!!! I want to hear more and more about your new life post-symptoms!!!

Cheers,

KB

YES!! And congrats to Helen, LadyDen, Deanna and all others!

Jerry good to hear from you and about your good life.

Helen, I love SF, lived there at one time.

Yes, I get overstimulated and I think that keeps me up at night. This week has been crazy with sleep ---very little sleep. I have had so many social plans scheduled for all week, work on the house, work stress and lots of changing plans ... all too much for this nervous system.

Thanks for the reminder of rest. Spring and this NEW social calendar after 2 yrs of covid, yikes.

TGIF

Kachina

Hi all,

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post (especially LadyDen for your long and detailed response). I am very, very grateful to all of you. 

I have slowed down my taper pace from 7 days to 10. I will see how this goes for my next cut and will then decide to stay at 10 days or move to 14. 

Anxiety, depression, muscle pain, jelly legs, feeling revved up despite a chronic and severe lack of sleep are all common symptoms for me. I guess they're normal...

I have it in my head that sleep won't really start getting better until I'm off the poison. I hope I am right because I don't know how long I can live on 3, 4 or 5 hours a night. Haven't had more than 5 hours since September 2021.  

By the way, are we healing on the way down during a taper? Or do we have to jump off before healing starts? I don't know if there is a consensus or credible scientific evidence about this...I would like to think we are healing as it would help maintain a positive outlook during the challenge. 

I don't think intermittent fasting would work well for me as I have trouble keeping weight on and have already lost quite a bit of weight (that I can't afford to lose) throughout this ordeal. If I don't eat frequently things can get dicey for me pretty quickly. I eat quite healthy and have cut out processed food, junk food and pretty much all sugar. 

Anyway, onward and upward. I am staying the course, just slowing down a little bit as I work toward my goal. 

Thank you so very much again to all of you! Hoping you are all well.

Agoura 

Agoura,

Great to see your update!! I've wondered how you've been. So very sorry for your struggle. I understand you want to keep working and think that is very good. Staying home sick can make some of us worse mentally! I was home during my taper and it didn't make me worse but at about the halfway mark I knew I wanted to get back to working again. I truly got my life back with this taper.

Do not get down on yourself for taking this, no no no. No point, it's all behind us now. But I felt SO SAD and MAD that I gave so much of my life to ambien.

Sounds like you are really being tested to the max and may be quite scared of what lays ahead. There's a lot I could not have faced if my taper had been worse and I really feel for those who have it bad. Yet, I had it soooo horrific in the last years before I got off. I still feel very hopeful for you and want you to feel the same.

LadyDen is my Rock Star here but I respectfully disagree about trying more natural things that can help sleep, within moderation, for myself and believe everyone has their own choice if they want to experiment. I know Dr. Ashton has a list of what not to take and this is a consideration. I've taken things the whole time and tried different things. Most nights I fall asleep on my own and sleep through the night, but the nights I have trouble on one or the other end are a big challenge to my mental health so I am still trying to work with that. I'm not sure what's worse, that I'm awake or that I'm not just surrendering and getting up to do something to take my mind off my worries about sleeplessness. I use or have used taurine; magnesium; valerian; hops; l-theanine; passionflower and also benadryl just occasionally to reset my mental health with a good night sleep. Sometimes when I've taken 1 or 2 of the herbal capsules at 3am I've gone back to sleep.

Another opinion from me: YES, yes yes yes, do the 10 and/or 14 day hold. I did my whole taper at about 14 day intervals, holding a couple of times when under extreme stress. Do Not worry about the end date, please don't push yourself, that is just added stress. I hope holding could make a difference for you. Your idea of holding is the recommended taper schedule and holding in BB terms really means longer than 14 days.

I want to share that I did intermittent fasting during my taper. I ate for a window of 6 to 8 hrs a day and the rest of the time just had clear liquids or nothing. There is something called autophagy--where our cells digest waste inside our body--a housecleaning--that occurs at an increased rate when we fast longer than just overnight. I wonder if this could be a factor in me not having worse symptoms while tapering. I also had a cyst shrink by 50% during this time.

Does a strong work out or a big carb meal ever help? An intense yoga class truly might, that's a deeper kind of exercise and I can remember it making me sleep. Hot bath? That was a nightly part of my taper routine and have done it many times in the middle of the night to go back to sleep. Progesterone cream that is over the counter is worth looking into in my opinion, not dangerous, yes for women in general but for a sleep help sometimes it is extremely mild, from the health food store.

Keep us posted!

Kachina!  So good to hear from you!  I noticed your reference to intermittent fasting.  I am into about a month of this right now.  It has helped tremendously with turning a corner and giving me more energy.  But did you ever find that it might be too much stress on the body?  I do well mostly, but then if another stress comes along (too much stimulation, etc) it pushes me over the edge into a wave.  I truly believe it is helping, but sometimes I feel that I have to take breaks from it.  Did you find this?  I was sleeping 9 hours, now with IF I am waking up 4:30 am.  I read where this could happen especially with women.

Thanks so much!!!

Deanna, how cool!!! I really think it helped my taper. To answer your question I really have never been able to track. Seems the main wave I ever have is leg pain and trouble sleeping ... sometimes I had akisthesia and still do sometimes but seems due to eating sugar maybe? I'm sorry I don't really have any insight other than, yes, I do wonder if it adds to my sleep issues. How many meals do you eat? Do you eat carbs? I really love how much energy and clear thinking I have in the morning. Did you find Gin Stephens---that's the author I learned about it from. Super neat!!! I hope you sleep better and if you're concerned I would suggest eating more!

hugs,

KB

Thanks Kachina!  You are the same as me - most bothersome symptom is leg pain.  I have cut back the IF to a strict 12 hours only.  It seems to do the trick in that I have clear thinking and more energy, but not too much stress on the body.  So that's where I will stick to it for now.  I'm sleeping a bit better again.

My next hurdle is attempting some sort of exercise.  I notice I sleep better if I've been active.  But of course have to thread that needle and not go overboard.  Slow.  Steady. PROGRESS!

Kachina, lovely post. And it is ok for us to disagree. After all everyone is different with each having their own body. What works for you won’t necessarily work for me or vice versa. So, it is definitely ok with me that you disagree. And you have just as much right as we all do to express things. Your experiences might help someone or Helen’s or Deanna, Jerry, me, etc. That’s why this forum is so valuable. I’ve shared CBTI with some on here and it helped a great deal. Then for some, it doesn’t help. I think it is so awesome of you to take the time to try to help. You’re a very sweet person that I cherish. I said all that to say that we are not called Team Z for nothing!  :thumbsup: Nothing but love here and sweet sleep wishes. I’m so happy that after 20 years of Ambien, you are approaching 1 year and doing well. Way to go! You got off like a true warrior. I remember how proud I was of you when you jumped. Wow!!! Can you believe it’s been almost a year? Is it me or does it seem like time is flying! ?

Love and happy healing to you all. Keep up the good work! ❤️

Ohhhh LadyDen, you are a Wise Woman and that is very wonderful to read. Thank you for your very kind words! I cannot believe the way time has passed and that a year ago I was getting near to jump and SO NERVOUS!!!! OMG YOU have really been the Den Mother here and we are very lucky to have you!!! I want to hear more and more about your new life post-symptoms!!!

Cheers,

KB

Thank you so very much. What a nice compliment! Super love and hugs to you. ❤️🌹

YES!! And congrats to Helen, LadyDen, Deanna and all others!

Jerry good to hear from you and about your good life.

Helen, I love SF, lived there at one time.

Yes, I get overstimulated and I think that keeps me up at night. This week has been crazy with sleep ---very little sleep. I have had so many social plans scheduled for all week, work on the house, work stress and lots of changing plans ... all too much for this nervous system.

Thanks for the reminder of rest. Spring and this NEW social calendar after 2 yrs of covid, yikes.

TGIF

Kachina

10 months Congrats! 🎊🎉

Agoura,

Keep us posted!

Thanks so much!!!

hugs,

KB

Thanks Kachina!  You are the same as me - most bothersome symptom is leg pain.  I have cut back the IF to a strict 12 hours only.  It seems to do the trick in that I have clear thinking and more energy, but not too much stress on the body.  So that's where I will stick to it for now.  I'm sleeping a bit better again.

My next hurdle is attempting some sort of exercise.  I notice I sleep better if I've been active.  But of course have to thread that needle and not go overboard.  Slow.  Steady. PROGRESS!

Deanna and Kachina, I'm reading with interest your commentary on IF.  I've been doing it for about a week and a half. I started with the 14/10 ratio but have moved into 15/9.  HOWEVER, I'm in some awful wave now with massive tingling/burning/aching, etc.  I'm not at all sure it is the IF that triggered it but maybe like, Deanna I'll scale back to 14/10 or 13/11 or something like that. I guess it could be the IF causing this wave since my system needs to adjust to changes in its own way.  I think my gut has benefitted already from the process. I really hope it's not causing the wave but I'll keep at it and see if it passes. 

Morning Team Z! 

Agoura I think we do began healing somewhat while coming off. But the real healing begins after jumping. Because nothing is entering the body anymore. In my experience many of my strange yet making me sick symptoms immediately went away when I was tapering ( especially at the end). And a few stopped after I jumped. I’m glad you decided on a 10 day reduction pattern.  :thumbsup: I’m rooting for you and wishing you the best. Big hugs!

Deanna I’m also anxious to start being able to exercise again. I miss just going for a walk whenever I want without a wave. It’s funny how many say exercise helps. And I see how that is true because exercise increases circulation, lowers stress and anxiety, combats depression, releases/ balances chemicals in the brain, prevents muscle atrophy, etc. But, some of us can’t physically do that ( me and you for example). So I guess we just have to wait until we’ve healed enough. I look out my window or go out for sunlight. As I do, I see everyone else walking dogs, jogging, getting in their cars to drive, playing with their kids, etc. it breaks my heart and at the same time it gives me something to look forward to. Very mixed emotions for sure. We definitely will be doing exercises soon enough. We’re making good progress now. Thank God!

Jerry how are things on your end?

Helen how are you doing today?

Everyone else….hold on. Press on. Keep going. It’s worth it!

Ha zzers, my post was accidentally deleted… aaarrrgg…. I am doing ok, went to a concert yesterday night with my father… was nice… i am a bit lightheaded now. … went swimming this afternoon… huggg Jerry :smitten:  :thumbsup:

Good Morning and Happy Weekend Team Z!!!

Helen and Deanna, glad you can moderate with hours fasting, cool we're all doing it. I just think very highly of it and will keep it in my life for the long haul. I have insulin resistance I'm healing. Deanna makes me feel less alone knowing about your leg issues. I need some acupuncture on my legs. They are so tender.

LadyDen, so happy for your progress!!! I know you can't wait to go on longer walks.

Jerry and Augura, so glad you're both here, keep plugging along and it will get better and better. I definitely felt healing as I tapered, but much more after I hit about 6 months in my 9 month taper. Augura, you are having a horrific time. I am so sorry, I can't wait to hear of improvement. Glad to hear you're going to try slowing down a bit. You are STRONG and you are working so hard!!!

I'm grateful and I LOVE SPRING!!! Could use some warmth though...come on Sun!

Peace All,

KB

Hugs Team Z! I echo Kachina I love Spring except all the pollen making me miserable every time I go outside…even with a mask on.  Me and my daughter are the sneeze queens. 😂 But yes I’m trying to increase my walking. I’m riding in the car just the parking lot for now. Soon I’ll be going places.  :thumbsup:

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Sounds like Jerry enjoyed the concert.  :thumbsup:

Ha Zzers, I am doing a next step in my taper, very small, but it is a step. Today is a holiday here, we celebrate the birthday of the king with flee markets all over Netherland. Because of my taper step I am not feeling great, but it is what it is. Huggss, Jerry

Sorry Jerry that you’re feeling your reduction. But as we all know, it’s part of the process. Things will settle down soon. Great job on reducing. Keep up the good work.

Everyone else I hope you have a great day. I’m dealing with morning dread right now and a wave. Some mornings are just a little tougher than others. That’s how it is with this recovery.

Hugs 🤗

Hi Jerry - You are making such progress.  I know it doesn't feel good yet, but you are doing the very best thing you could for your future self.

BTW, how much have you tapered now?  I can't tell from your signature.  You must be getting pretty low now.

Light Spacer,

I hope you'll feel much better soon and can enjoy your holiday.  We all understand the part about not feeling well.  Keep up the good work! 

LD, sorry about your morning dread and hope it passes quickly.

Agoura Success, how are you coming along? 

Kachina, Deanna and others, I hope everyone is feeling well.

I'm still plodding along. I'll have 11 months under my belt this coming Sunday.  I'm curious if anyone else had sort of a "rapid cycling" of symptoms close to the year mark?  One day, I'll have a bad headache and the next day, that'll be gone and I'm tingling and burning all over with my muscles all bound up, then maybe there is a day of queasiness and bad equilibrium for example. There are other symptoms that cycle in and out but you get the picture.  I'm sort of hoping someone tells me this is a good sign.  It's rough but I'm trying to stare it down. 

Best to all!

Hi Jerry - You are making such progress.  I know it doesn't feel good yet, but you are doing the very best thing you could for your future self.

BTW, how much have you tapered now?  I can't tell from your signature.  You must be getting pretty low now.

Ha Deanna,

It is a bit hard to say how much I have tapered now. I started tapering off a half tablet, and at the moment I reached more than half off that… I will try to calculate it tomorrow, it is bed time for me now…

Hi Everyone,

I am down to 4.3 mgs after starting at 10mgs.

I have slowed down my taper and will now hold for at least 10 days and more likely 14 before the next cut.

Sometimes the daytime symptoms can be very rough and I have felt generally crappy pretty much since I started taking this stuff but so far I've been able to manage.

By far the worst for me is the terrible sleep. I'm at 4-5 hours a night (sometimes less) for 7 -8 months now. I feel like I could collapse at any moment. I wake up like clockwork for the bathroom and, no matter how long I had been asleep, that's the end of my sleep for the night. Tried all kinds of things to fall back to sleep (meditation, sleep stories, podcasts, you tube, breathing, counting, binaural beats...) and nothing has helped yet...

How and when will sleep improve?

Of course, I don't want to take any supplements during this taper but did anyone take anything during your taper that helped?

It sucks to be fighting an unfair fight; if I could just get a bit better sleep I know I'd be better able to handle the challenges of this taper.

Have restricted my time in bed and been waking up at same time everyday for months now but hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't know if anything will help until I get completely off and really start healing. Is this even realistic?

Any thoughts?

I absolutely won't go back but don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. Don't even know if I'm in the tunnel yet...

Hi Agoura,

I was on the poison for 12 years and tapered very quickly (not advocating for that) over 5 weeks.  It wasn't until about 4 months after I was off that my sleep started to improve.  I do believe that when we are tapering and in acute the imbalance in the GABA system is just too great to get a complete night's sleep.  That is why there isn't anything that really helps, but I think it is a great idea to practice good sleep hygiene because as we heal it will facilitate the best sleep possible no matter where you are in your journey.

At about 4 months after I jumped I happened to try a grounding mat.  It is purported to increase circulation, reduce inflammation and normalize cortisol.  I must say that the first night I used it I slept better.  I have continued to use it to this day.  Personally I think it has really helped me and there is zero risk of side effects. 

https://www.earthing.com/

Also some people say they can tolerate camomile tea, although it is on the no-no list.  It always helped me relax before this nightmare, but I tried it again about 9 months after jumping and it seemed to cause me more symptoms.

All in all I just want to say to hang in there.  It will get  better.  I promise.

Agoura,

Yes, it's so very hard to keep going on so little sleep.  I can't say exactly when my sleep started to improve but I think it was around a couple of months after I jumped.  I still have some of that same stuff you mention about waking up and being done but most mornings I can fall back to sleep for a little while after using the bathroom.  I now get more like 6 hours of sleep a night more or less and that's better than it was before. I agree with Deanna that you should stick with the good habits you have developed as they will benefit you down the road.  I took some antihistamine (hydroxyzine) for a few weeks after jumping but not every night and I stopped and never started it up again.  I think the less we take the better. The hydroxyzine really knocked me out but I didn't like the next day grogginess and dry mouth it caused.  I think it's mostly safe though if you get desperate.  It sounds like you are doing all the right things and better nights will come your way.  I surely wish I could give you a timeline but we're all different.  You're doing great even if it doesn't feel like it. Keep it up!

Helen