Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Z-Drug Support Group (Lunesta, Imovane, Zimovane, Ambien, Sonata, Zopiclone)

[Wo...]

BarbaraAve,

Yes, I was mostly on Ambien, but I took a little Ativan and Lunesta when the Ambien started to not work so well. Toward the end, I would spend time every night trying to decide which drug or combination of drugs would give me a little sleep. Prior to my using too much Ambien, I would just take it from time to time when I felt too amped up to sleep, was taking too long to fall asleep or just to ensure a good sleep because I had a big day coming up. Otherwise my sleep was fairly normal, although I did have a few temporary periods of bad insomnia previously in my life (that is how I discovered Ambien).

And for some happy news, after hearing all the hell I was going through with sleep med WD, my neighbor decided she was done with Ambien. She had so much trouble getting her scrips filled, and the costs were so outrageous, she just decided to quit. She was definitely not happy to hear that the sleep drugs can cause CNS damage. She had also been experiencing what I believe to be tolerance, lots of irritability and anxiety during the day.

She discovered that large amounts of melatonin allow her to sleep just as well as the Ambien. She takes 20 mg at night, and sleeps just fine now. She was on Ambien for at least 5 years. The irritability and anxiety vanished after she stopped taking the Ambien.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am about to quit zopiklone after three month use. I know that I am supposed to taper but how is that possible? I take 5mg and surely I cannot sleep on less. So if I taper down and it will take about 2 weeks, does that mean no sleep during that period? Or how does tapering funktion? I mean if I could take less i would, right?

I tapered 5 mgs of zolpidem by cutting the little red football-shaped pill into quarters, then starting a slow taper. Of course I'd had experience tapering valium. It will take much longer than 2 weeks imo to do this with minimum pain.

You ask about sleep and how you will sleep without this pill . . . well  I wonder are you sleeping well now on 5 mg? What's your reason for wanting to get off? Most people quit because the drug isn't working well.

There are plenty of things to try for insomnia. Just look around -- there are lots of threads devoted to things people try for sleep. So there's help for you there. Or start a thread asking for ideas for insomnia. You'll get plenty of answers.

Back to tapering. I dropped my first quarter and waited for a month to drop another. I slept less well, and I started to have the same withdrawals I had tapering valium. It's not a nice process. After a month I felt well enough to go on, and I did a month at a time down to zero.

So . . . it's doable. But you have to be prepared for withdrawal s/x, and you have to look around for things to fill in the sleep that your drug provided. And then you can wean yourself off everything and sleep pretty much on your own. At least that's what happened to me.

Be kind to yourself, try different things to help you sleep, and don't be impatient. Yeah, nothing puts you/me to sleep like a z-drug . . . but like anything, they stop working, they give us nasty tolerance withdrawal, and they're really pretty bad in general for us.

My best to you,

Katz

l

Hey everyone

I’m trying to taper off Ambien/Zolpidem 5mg. I thought that if I could do a very slow taper it would be less noticeable for my body, but I’m wondering whether I was wrong about this...

I’ve tried cutting by 1/60th of a pill, using a jewellery scale - but I still got withdrawal symptoms. Now I’m trying tapering by 1/100th of a pill at a time using the water titration method, but my body still freaks out over every cut I make.

Is it impossible to do a slow microtaper with z drugs because of the short half-life and interdose withdrawal? Is it better to taper more quickly off z drugs and just put up with the side effects?

Thanks

Katie

Katie, I looked this up for you:

The free base of zolpidem is insoluble in water; zolpidem tartrate is slightly soluble in water

Maybe that's why you are having trouble?

When I wanted to taper Ambien I looked into dissolving it in alcohol (as I did with my valium) but it is not soluble in any alcohol we could drink.

So I decided to cut up my pills. I quartered them as best I could, and when I got down to 1/4 of a 5 mg pill, I whacked it into tinier pieces, maybe 1/8. I made a reduction every month. So it was a long cut and hold.

I didn't have many awful s/x . . . not like my taper from valium. Of course I didn't sleep, but I hadn't been sleeping on the pill anyhow.

I guess I would advise you to do pill-cutting and stop the water titration, which doesn't seem to be advised given the near-insolubility of zolpidem.

This makes the drug very hard to taper down . . . but as I said, it wasn't nearly as bad a taper as my valium taper.

So . . . just my experience.

Katz

Yes - I used a jewelers scale, too. I think you can hold if you feel better doing that.  I did that on and off.  I didn't get really low on my Lunesta but I knew I could handle jumping off of it. 

I know people think Lunesta is a weak cousin to Ambien and a very distant relative to conventional benzos but I'm here to tell you it kicked my ass in withdrawal and also the butts of few others on here.  I may have been kindled in a way, too, having taken Ativan years earlier and Ambien after that.

The Z drugs are tricky so - I recommend staying on a tolerable course downward if you can.  Sleep is terrible for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I’ve been battling with chronic nausea and diarrea in the morning on and off for a while now. Doc diagnoses me with IBS. Is this common when being on a z-drug every night for many months? Anyone else had this?

Feeling so bad, but then I need the zopiclone to sleep a little. A viciois cycle..😑

Vanessa, I would bet you don't have IBS. When I was on 2.5 mgs of zop, I felt horrid. Nausea (not diarrhea) and feeling sick every day. I was getting zero benefits from the drug, and rotten s/x, I believe. imo, zop isn't responsible for helping you sleep if you are taking such a low dose, as I was.

But you've been down to a low dose before, right? How did it affect you then?

After I got completely off my zop, about two years ago, I hit a bad patch where I thought I need to reinstate it. I did. At 2.5 mgs for a month. It did not help me sleep. Brother, did I feel awful. Once again, I got the miserable s/x -- nausea, feeling crappy, a little dizziness, some headache. I CT'd it.

Anyhow, I'm re-teaching myself my old "tricks" for getting sleep. No more zop.

I don't know if this has helped you. I hope so.

Katz

Thanks, Katz. Well, it gives me at least four hours of sleep, but then  i wake up

nauseous and with stomach pain. Are you feeling better now completely off them? (Not nausea etc)?

Are you feeling better now completely off them?

Definitely, but I wasn't getting any sleep benefit. It sill be harder to give up if the drug is helping you sleep.  :(

Katz

At the moment, I am still using a half tablet zopiclone before I go to bed. I have used it for years. A couple of years ago I tried to quit it, but in the end my taper was not successful. According to my shrink it doesn't give interdose withdrawl, like benzodiazepine's do. I wonder if she is right. I daily have anxiety problems, which also could be related to my higher bloodpressure which can give dizziness. At the moment I am using medication to lower the bloodpressure. But still I have anxiety problems. Maybe me bloodpressure is still not low enough?? I would like to know whether if people here experience anxiety of their daily use of zopiclone?

Jerry

Hi Jerry - Sorry you are still struggling with this.  Many of us have learned not to listen to our doctors.  I became dependent on my z drug - thanks to doctors.  Only you can decide if you want to try life without these drugs.  Lunesta was supposed to be the nonbenzo Ambien and I got really sick wth interdose withdrawal.  When you say the tapering "failed" what do you mean?  WBB

Hi Jerry - Sorry you are still struggling with this.  Many of us have learned not to listen to our doctors.  I became dependent on my z drug - thanks to doctors.  Only you can decide if you want to try life without these drugs.  Lunesta was supposed to be the nonbenzo Ambien and I got really sick wth interdose withdrawal.  When you say the tapering "failed" what do you mean?  WBB

Hi Wbb,

I mean, I tried to taper zopiclon then, but in the end I stopped because my sleeping problems returned. It has been several years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Did you also get anxious, when you had interdose withdrawal?

Jerry

Hi Wbb,

I mean, I tried to taper zopiclon then, but in the end I stopped because my sleeping problems returned. It has been several years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Did you also get anxious, when you had interdose withdrawal?

Jerry

Yes -- anxiety is part of interdose withdrawal symptoms.  There are threads all over benzobuddies about ways to cope with anxiety without zopliclone.  Insomnia is part of withdrawal and there are plenty of threads about that, too.  Find members who are now sleeping.  You can do it -- but you've got to go through the insomnia.  I'm often sleeping 7 + hours without anything.  You can, too.  WBB

Can't find how to start new topic hope this works. I'm 6 months off zopiclone after being on it 12 years. Still getting awful intrusive thoughts feel quite suicidal at times. Do seem to have spells when not so bad but just wondering how long before things improve. Got appt with GP am considering anti depressants but loathe to be hooked on another drug and then get more withdrawal symptoms. Tried CBT but was useless. Did see psychotherapist who explained because it's chemical damage it won't work. If anyone tried anti depressants be grateful for advice not depressed all the time it's only when get really bad anxiety. I have what's classed as harm ocd.

My GP retired new gp wouldn't give me any more said wouldn't have any problems going ct. Awful symptoms so after month reinstated trying to gradually wean off for 2 or 3 months then stopped. Had randomly cut out taking it some days since beginning of 2018 so realise was getting interdose withdrawal. Just feel like living in a permanent nightmare at moment. Gp keeps mentioning anti depressants might consider them if still the same at a year

Leann - well others might feel differently but give yourself time to recover from getting off your sleep med.  Your brain is not permanently damaged.  It is trying to repair itself.  Introducing an antidepressant to your brain right now may interfere.  Be patient  - you'll get there.  WBB

Hey everyone

I’m trying to taper off Ambien/Zolpidem 5mg. I thought that if I could do a very slow taper it would be less noticeable for my body, but I’m wondering whether I was wrong about this...

I’ve tried cutting by 1/60th of a pill, using a jewellery scale - but I still got withdrawal symptoms. Now I’m trying tapering by 1/100th of a pill at a time using the water titration method, but my body still freaks out over every cut I make.

Is it impossible to do a slow microtaper with z drugs because of the short half-life and interdose withdrawal? Is it better to taper more quickly off z drugs and just put up with the side effects?

Thanks

Katie

Katie, Im on Zopiclone and went from 13 mg to now 5 mg since december. I take 1.5 mg daytime it helps a bit with withdrawals

At the moment, I am still using a half tablet zopiclone before I go to bed. I have used it for years. A couple of years ago I tried to quit it, but in the end my taper was not successful. According to my shrink it doesn't give interdose withdrawl, like benzodiazepine's do. I wonder if she is right. I daily have anxiety problems, which also could be related to my higher bloodpressure which can give dizziness. At the moment I am using medication to lower the bloodpressure. But still I have anxiety problems. Maybe me bloodpressure is still not low enough?? I would like to know whether if people here experience anxiety of their daily use of zopiclone?

Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Im on a low dose too. It can cause anxeity mabye you are in interdose withdrawal as you dont increase your dose? I dont have anxeity (well not much) but I have depressed feelings. Its hard. Its a lonely place... I think its correct that CBT dont help if its chemical but Im not sure because I think if serotonin is low, för instance, theraphy should help dispite why its low?

My depression ifton ease up around 7 or 8 pm does your?