Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Crossing over to V from K. How long does the lethargy and fatigue last?

I have read in other posts that it isn’t a long term thing. Anyone have any experience with that? I’m on day 4 of crossover and I feel so out of it and confused. I took a 4 hour nap today and can’t wait until bedtime.

So far I’ve converted 1/4 of my daily k to Valium.

Does anybody else sleep all the time almost 247 because you feel forced to hard to keep eyes open and most of the time after waking up from it doesn't matter how much sleep you get you don't feel rested and the times you do feel somewhat rested the EXTREME tiredness hits you out of the blue shortly after or a little bit after and scared to stay awake in fear you will just fall asleep with whatever you're doing? 😭😭😭

Extreme tiredness/sleepiness is pretty common on the higher doses of Valium.  For some, it gets better the longer you have been on and the lower you get.  Can also be a withdrawal symptom.  I've seen people tapering on Klonopin who didn't have insomnia and instead were sleeping a lot, having to take naps everyday, etc.  For me, this is all a MUCH better symptom than insomnia, though I know that sleeping all the time isn't ideal. 

Extreme tiredness/sleepiness is pretty common on the higher doses of Valium.  For some, it gets better the longer you have been on and the lower you get.  Can also be a withdrawal symptom.  I've seen people tapering on Klonopin who didn't have insomnia and instead were sleeping a lot, having to take naps everyday, etc.  For me, this is all a MUCH better symptom than insomnia, though I know that sleeping all the time isn't ideal.

Um no it's not better.

And not if it's narcolepsy!

Crossing over to V from K. How long does the lethargy and fatigue last?

I have read in other posts that it isn’t a long term thing. Anyone have any experience with that? I’m on day 4 of crossover and I feel so out of it and confused. I took a 4 hour nap today and can’t wait until bedtime.

So far I’ve converted 1/4 of my daily k to Valium.

treelover, it took me about 3 weeks to gradually come out of the fatigue and lethargy. It was intense at first . . . a little later, not so bad. Itpasses.

Katz

Thanks mom and oregon - I’m doing better now. By about day 5 things let up a bit. I crossed my full night time dose to V 2 days ago. Still fatigued and have that heavy-body feeling, but not wired and exhausted like I was with first 1/4 crossover.

I think completely cutting our sugar helped when I was wired.

It’s crazy how desperate you feel when things are bad. Then it just shifts and things are ok 👍🏻

You look back and think “man, I was freaking the F out!”

Got outside to do some gardening today, making some roasted root veggies, interests slowly returning. <exhale>

I think the V is going to work for me. Glad to be moving towards all Liquid dosing once K is crossed over. Thanks for answering my questions 🙏🏼

Hi Everyone:

This is a wonderful community, that I hope to be a small part of. I am just starting a Valium taper from 14.5 milligrams and would like any advice someone might be kind enough to share about how I should best go about this, and what is a reasonable timetable? I will be dry cutting and using a jeweler's scale. Thank you

Hi and Welcome Wwn.  Not sure where you have been but if I had general recommendations, they would be 1) Look into a daily microtaper, using liquid, 2) Don't set any deadlines (some people say throw out the calendar), 3) Start out tapering low amounts and then increase from there if you can handle; 4) Don't compare your own situation to anyone else's.  Every benzo w/d experience seems to be different.

Hi Lonely,

Hope you are hanging in there.  I'm doing ok - about 6 weeks from making my jump, I think.

very good, how are you sleeping?  I upped my dose because I couldn't sleep with my tight schedule.  Glad you're doing well.  It's hard weaning off this stuff with kids and a full time Job.

It's been up and down but lately, pretty decent, for which I am grateful.  However, I take Seroquel and have for many years and that is part of it.....without it, I don't sleep.  I'm hoping in a few years (after Zoloft), I can eventually get rid of it too.  We'll see.  I'm sorry you are struggling.  I was not able to continue working and had to give up my career two years ago.  I can't imagine trying at this point so I feel for you.  I have to take a lot of measures to keep my stress levels low, despite having many children. 

Mom of 7 Babes,

I'm struggling with crossover from Klonopin to Valium.  Did it take you a long time?  You mentioned it was hard for you. I've had to slow way down. Thanks.

Hi Slow - I am in the middle of this cross over too. I started sept 22nd substituting 1/4 of my K dose with V. The first 5 days were very rough. Tingling, buzzing, thoughts all over the place. From wildly anxious to nonstop exhaustion. Panic to 4 hour naps.

It got better.

The second 1/4 (waited 8 days to drop more) was barely a blip of symptoms for me.

I went faster after that because I had time off of work.

Where are you in the cross over?

Hi Slow,

I took a little over 5 weeks.  I had hoped to go faster but my symptoms....side effects from Valium and withdrawal from Klonopin, kicked my rear.  They got better as time went on and were almost gone at the end.  Just remember that everyone is different. 

Hi,  I'm tapering Diaz.  I've gone from 20 mg to 8.5 mg.  I went to refill my prescription and they don't have the Mayne brand.  Did you ever have problems with changing brands?  I changed brands for a few days and I went into withdraw. 

I know of many others who have.  I had issues on Klonopin with this and I can only have my same brand of Zoloft or I have issues.  So sorry you are dealing with this.  I had to call around to several pharmacies to find it.  If you are able to get them to save it for you, it would be best.  You will probably have the best luck with this at a small, locally owned pharmacy.  That's what I did with both Klonopin and Zoloft.  My pharmacist orders what I need and keeps my name on it.

Hi Slow - I am in the middle of this cross over too. I started sept 22nd substituting 1/4 of my K dose with V. The first 5 days were very rough. Tingling, buzzing, thoughts all over the place. From wildly anxious to nonstop exhaustion. Panic to 4 hour naps.

It got better.

The second 1/4 (waited 8 days to drop more) was barely a blip of symptoms for me.

I went faster after that because I had time off of work.

Where are you in the cross over?

I started crossover from 0.625 klonopin in mid-July. Night dose switched easily, but morning one is going so slowly with much nausea and loss of appetite. So weak as well. Worried something else is going on with this much difficulty. Had to drop out of grad school program, so focusing on relaxing and resting now.

Hi Slow,

I'm looking at the info. you have in your signature and it appears to me that you have been under-dosed by Valium by quite a bit but maybe I have not read it right?  When I moved from .360 of Kon, I went to 6.5mg of Valium and even that was a little less than the Ashton charts.  I've seen some switch to about 2/3 and be fine (others aren't) but I would be concerned about trying to go less than that.

I'm sorry you had to drop out of grad school and put your life on hold.  Glad to see you have some good support, though.  A lot of initial side effects from Valium may settle down and you may end up with some withdrawal effects from Klonopin too but hopefully, those will go too eventually.  Nausea and weakness are common.  Hang in there.

Hi Slow,

I'm looking at the info. you have in your signature and it appears to me that you have been under-dosed by Valium by quite a bit but maybe I have not read it right?  When I moved from .360 of Kon, I went to 6.5mg of Valium and even that was a little less than the Ashton charts.  I've seen some switch to about 2/3 and be fine (others aren't) but I would be concerned about trying to go less than that.

I'm sorry you had to drop out of grad school and put your life on hold.  Glad to see you have some good support, though.  A lot of initial side effects from Valium may settle down and you may end up with some withdrawal effects from Klonopin too but hopefully, those will go too eventually.  Nausea and weakness are common.  Hang in there.

Hi Mom of 7 Babes,

My dose was 0.75 K and I got down to 0.625 K. That's divided by three doses per day. Currently I’m trying to cross over to 12.5 V, but am only 7.2 there. Using water titration. Want to move along the speed of crossover so I can get started on V taper. Just often feeling so sick and weak. Maybe it will be better to get all on V? 

Phew!  Glad to hear. For me, the nausea didn't last long, a couple of months or so.  I was very tired for a while and somewhat weak and I think that took longer to leave.  However, everyone is very different in this.  I hope it all improves for you soon!

Hi

This is my first post on this support group. I recently crossed from Ativan starting in mid sept. I replaced each Ativan dose completely with Valium in a step wise fashion. On 9/15 first the night dose from .125A to 1.25V, then the morning dose on 9/23, then the midday dose on 9/29 with 1.0V for a total of 3.5V. I went lower on the midday dose since I was feeling sedated. So currently holding with 2 weeks thus far on all Valium. It went fairly smooth with symptoms of sedation, some depression, mostly in the morning. I am currently stabilized but having trouble deciding what to do next as far as consolidating doses, transitioning to liquid, and how much to start my taper. I want to go slow so I can maintain my ability to function. Not sure when or how much I’m going to cut yet. I understand that DLMT can be tricky with the delay due to longer half life. My doc prescribed me liquid if I want to switch but concerned about reading syringes accurately.

Would appreciate your lessons learned experience so I can decide how to start

Thank you, Joeb

Hi Joeb,

Glad to hear you are stabilized.  You are actually in a pretty good spot with moving to liquid.  I c/o to 6.5 mg.  I originally transitioned just .5mg to liquid (1mg/1ml) and kept the 3 doses with 2mg pills for each 3.  The .5mg of liquid got tacked on to my bedtime dose - I started microtapering just that bit.  After I tapered that bit, I just transitioned just 1mg (1ML) at a time and held for about 5 days just to make sure I could handle it.  No problem for me with the prescription Valium liquid; if anything, better.  Eventually for me, I went to all liquid at 3mg.  But I did this by converting 1mg at a time with a month or two in between, if I remember correctly.  The lquid is SUPER easy.  Really, you just need a 1ML syringe (BD is my favorite).  Mine has a line for every .02ML.  I taper by .01ML (.01mg) each day and then hold every .1ML.  I estimate the .01ML going between the small lines.  I originally added mine to water and did all this complicated stuff but this was by far way easier.  For a long bit, I also added my doses to water (because of the taste and to dilute) and would carry the bottles out wherever I went but now, I just leave them in the syringes and put caps on. 

Sorry if this is confusing but hopefully, some of it will make sense?  Good luck!