Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Valium/Diazepam Support Group

[Di...]

Hope I take Teva brand but I know when I got a different generic for my Klonopin I went into withdrawal. Of course I did not realize this at the time and thought I was having an allergic reaction to the different generic.  So what I would say is have your friend call the pharmacist and say what I did to mine- I am allergic to this generic and need to have a different one - can you order it for me and I will bring back all my pills since I can't take this brand.  I would  have your friend call the doctor to let the doctor know as well.  In my case the pharmacy took it back and I got my usual generic since I returned the unused pills. I also believe my doctor called the pharmacist for me as well. 

Diaz Pam, I have a question, I have read on various sites here, that when you get down to the lower doses, the % is not going down, it is going up,

is this true?. I was thinking that as we lowered we were having less of the V in our systems and then when we jumped, it would be somewhat easier

to adjust, and our CNS would be better equipped to handle it. Thanks for this site, where we can come and be advised and learn. And leave it with

the knowledge that someone who has been through this is by our sides.  :thumbsup:  I like to read things, but I like to have things clarified, and by

someone that has been there.  :smitten:

Hi, I am also struggling with finding out how slow I should go at the low doses I am on. I am around .40 and when I cut down to .35 I had a hard time. My primary symptom is low energy, some difficulty breathing fully, heart racing and I am more recently beginning to feel depressed. Is it normal to get depressed as you come off of Valium? Many people were able to jump at .5 and do real well. I don't know if I am prolonging this by not jumping where I am. I don't know if I will feel any better at .25 or lower then I feel today. I would like to hear from those who are at low doses like mine and know what to expect. Some people had no problem. I have ben tapering for 2 years now from 8mg of valium. As I work full time it is hard for me to allow myself to feel much worse however it feels like I am not making any progress once I went below .5mg which is about 6 weeks ago. Any feedback would be welcome,

Concerned

Diaz Pam, I have a question, I have read on various sites here, that when you get down to the lower doses, the % is not going down, it is going up,

is this true?. I was thinking that as we lowered we were having less of the V in our systems and then when we jumped, it would be somewhat easier

to adjust, and our CNS would be better equipped to handle it. Thanks for this site, where we can come and be advised and learn. And leave it with

the knowledge that someone who has been through this is by our sides.  :thumbsup:  I like to read things, but I like to have things clarified, and by

someone that has been there.  :smitten:

Well it probably is true to a certain extent, although I never bothered with percentages because too much brain power was needed. I did work it out for myself a couple of times and for a lot of my taper I was cutting around 7-9%, but towards the end of my taper I was cutting about 20%. Then no matter what your final cut is it's always going to be 100%.

For me percentages were irrelevant because I was doing a daily taper and cutting according to how I felt. IMO that's a much better way to go.

[e9...]

Hey velium taperers,

It's been a long time since I checked in on the forum. Probably most of you all don't know me by now, but back in the day I was a regular poster here and this is the thread where I ended up getting the best tapering advice. Good to see that a couple of other old timers are still posting and helping folks out. Sensible tapering is the easiest path to freedom.

Quick update on me, in case anyone is interested. I'm over six months out and I'm going very well. Not entirely healed yet, but past the point where I think I'll have any serious backslides. Guessing I'm about at 90% recovered, with a couple of little niggling nuisance issues yet to be fully resolved. I could probably write my success story now, but I'm going to hold off for another couple of months. It does get better eventually.

Stay strong taperers!

jj

so nice to hear from you jj and that you are healing! Thanks for the help you gave me last year, cheers buddy ;)

Begood at some point in time you have to increase the % as Diaz-Pam said or you will never get off.  At the lower doses your cuts do become higher and all you can do is go with a symptom based taper at that point in time.  Of course we all know the last cut is 100% of your dose so you want to be in a place where this is not too much of a shock to your system. It is preferable to slide off vs. jump though we all tend to use that word when we are finishing up.  I think this is why so many of us are now micro tapering, especially as we get to the lower doses - you don't get bogged down in %'s but rather how you feel and you cut based on this or slow down if you need to and it truly allows you to take your taper one day at a time.

DiazPam, and Kgirl, thanks for both of your responses, sometimes things can get a little cloudy, so I will continue doing my liq taper and wait,

until I get to the very last bit, I am a complete believer in this now, as I was really getting tired of trying to cut the pills, this works well for me, and

I will continue to the end, Pam I remember you saying many times, listen to your body, well a few days before the end of my .25mg drop, I could

feel that I was not feeling good, but I stuck out the last three days and in hold now until I feel I have stabilized, that old saying listen to your body

is true. Thanks again to both of you.  :thumbsup: I am so close, but if it takes another year, that is ok, I am in no race.

If you continue to taper at the same (mg) rate, then it is a simple mathmatical fact that the percentage will be increasing.  For example, if you are at 10mg, and cut .5 every 10 days, then here are what the percentages look like:

10mg    .5 mg cut =5%

9.5mg    .5 mg cut =5.3%

9.0mg    .5 mg cut =5.6%

7mg    .5 mg cut =7%

5mg    .5 mg cut =10%

etc, etc

Hope I take Teva brand but I know when I got a different generic for my Klonopin I went into withdrawal. Of course I did not realize this at the time and thought I was having an allergic reaction to the different generic.  So what I would say is have your friend call the pharmacist and say what I did to mine- I am allergic to this generic and need to have a different one - can you order it for me and I will bring back all my pills since I can't take this brand.  I would  have your friend call the doctor to let the doctor know as well.  In my case the pharmacy took it back and I got my usual generic since I returned the unused pills. I also believe my doctor called the pharmacist for me as well.

Kgirl10 do you know the name of the generic that didn't work for you. My friend is asking?

Dear buddies!

I have not logged in for a few months, as I was feeling healed that I do not need to find support from here like in the past. I was busy starting my own business with my spouse and still working at the same time. But I feel bad that i didn't pay it forward and help the fellow members, so here i am to report on my progress today!

My last dosage of valium was on 22 Sept. I actually finish my taper on 31st July 2015. But symptoms came along after i completely stop. I had few episodes of heart palpitation middle of the night. It just came suddenly while I'm fully asleep. I was so terrified that i quickly took a pill of 2mg valium. After i took it, i feel so guilty and regretful. I told myself, i would rather die the next time it occur than took another pill of valium.

I keep to my promise, i had a super bad heart palpitation once again on 25 Oct. I beg my husband to call an ER as i thought i couldn't survive. I didn't take a valium. I have throwed away all my valium at home, as this is the only way to STOP me from taking another one during my desperate moment. This idea was given by a fellow buddy here and i feel so eternal grateful.

I took a propranolol and less than 2 hours, my heart beat was back to normal. I was at the ER and met a wonderful doctor which check my past history in details. He told me and my husband that i am absolutely fine. I was relieved to know that i don't have a pre-existing physical condition that lead to the heart palpitation. It was all the benzo withdrawal. I'm finally convinced.

From that day onwards, i never look backwards. I remind myself, if another episode occur, it is because of withdrawal. I no need another valium to help me. It will go away by itself. Amazingly, after the incident at the ER, i did not have anymore heart palpitations episode. Life become normal daily and i feel GREAT. I feel less anxious. In the past, anxiety followed me like 24/7.

In late November, my husband and i decided to go IVF. It was a mentally and physically challenging process. I'm surprised I'm all ready to go for it and feel no fear. Well, my 1st IVF failed but I'm not disheartened. I'm going to try in again in another 2 to 3 months time. At the same time, I'm working to taper my antipressant like how i taper valium. I have confidence to succeed in tapering antipressant as benzo is even harder but i make it.

To all fellow buddies here, I want to tell you, WE CAN HEAL. I'm on benzo for over 20 years. Though in low dose, it has caused me lots of sufferings. If you are in the process of tapering, please do so diligently and slowly, at your own pace. Eventually, WE ALL HEALED. I wish you all the best in your endeavour. You may drop me a PM if you wish to ask anything about my taper and i will be glad to help where i can.

I wish you success and health soon!  :smitten:

Love,

panicnomore

Hope it was the Mylan brand that didn't work for me. I take Teva for both Klonopin and Valium  hard to find where I live so I go to a small pharmacy that orders it for me.

Panicnomore, thanks for coming back and letting us know that yes we can Heal and we will. I agree, about choosing

our own pace, so far it has been working well for me. Best to you and your Future that looks truly Bright.  :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone who posted their input about Valium tapering speed! My goal is to find a doctor who will support tapering at whatever speed is comfortable, unlike the forced one-month Ativan taper that my current doctor has insisted upon.

Having said that, so far, so good. I think between the Valium, the Lopressor/metoprolol for blood pressure, the magnesium for muscle tension, and the medical marijuana for migraines, I have a pretty decent mix of protection against WD symptoms.

The only real symptom I'm having is physical throbbing and a bit of pain, both only in my temple area. It passes quickly. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I'm due for another cut tomorrow, and going to 3x per day was psychologically difficult. Going to 2x per day is going to feel insane. But as long as I'm not seizing or having vertigo attacks, I think I can be brave. :thumbsup:

Thank you to everyone who posted their input about Valium tapering speed! My goal is to find a doctor who will support tapering at whatever speed is comfortable, unlike the forced one-month Ativan taper that my current doctor has insisted upon.

Having said that, so far, so good. I think between the Valium, the Lopressor/metoprolol for blood pressure, the magnesium for muscle tension, and the medical marijuana for migraines, I have a pretty decent mix of protection against WD symptoms.

The only real symptom I'm having is physical throbbing and a bit of pain, both only in my temple area. It passes quickly. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I'm due for another cut tomorrow, and going to 3x per day was psychologically difficult. Going to 2x per day is going to feel insane. But as long as I'm not seizing or having vertigo attacks, I think I can be brave. :thumbsup:

Solaceandpeace,

What is your metoprolol dose?  Have you ever tried propranolol and if so how does it compare?  Have you ever had issues with racing heart/palps during withdrawal or has the metoprolol kept things at bay?  I'm on a low dose of propranolol 10 mg up to 4 times daily as needed for racing heart, mainly just taking at night because it keeps me up.  My blood pressure runs low so not sure about if I can take a beta blocker regularly but I'd like to because my heart pounds a lot during the day too.  Just wondering about metoprolol because propranolol supposedly crosses blood brain barrier and can cause more depression issues, and I have enough depression as it is with the Valium withdrawals.  Also, what magnesium supplement are you taking and what time of day?  I'm thinking about adding this in as well.  As I live in Texas, I'm going have to hold off on the medical marijuana for now lol.

Hey velium taperers,

It's been a long time since I checked in on the forum. Probably most of you all don't know me by now, but back in the day I was a regular poster here and this is the thread where I ended up getting the best tapering advice. Good to see that a couple of other old timers are still posting and helping folks out. Sensible tapering is the easiest path to freedom.

Quick update on me, in case anyone is interested. I'm over six months out and I'm going very well. Not entirely healed yet, but past the point where I think I'll have any serious backslides. Guessing I'm about at 90% recovered, with a couple of little niggling nuisance issues yet to be fully resolved. I could probably write my success story now, but I'm going to hold off for another couple of months. It does get better eventually.

Stay strong taperers!

jj

JJ,

I'm very grateful for all your help, this forum means so much to me.  Thanks for coming by and check on Us. Is great to know, that you are doing well,  I will look forward to see your success story.

Tex

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dear buddies!

I have not logged in for a few months, as I was feeling healed that I do not need to find support from here like in the past. I was busy starting my own business with my spouse and still working at the same time. But I feel bad that i didn't pay it forward and help the fellow members, so here i am to report on my progress today!

My last dosage of valium was on 22 Sept. I actually finish my taper on 31st July 2015. But symptoms came along after i completely stop. I had few episodes of heart palpitation middle of the night. It just came suddenly while I'm fully asleep. I was so terrified that i quickly took a pill of 2mg valium. After i took it, i feel so guilty and regretful. I told myself, i would rather die the next time it occur than took another pill of valium.

I keep to my promise, i had a super bad heart palpitation once again on 25 Oct. I beg my husband to call an ER as i thought i couldn't survive. I didn't take a valium. I have throwed away all my valium at home, as this is the only way to STOP me from taking another one during my desperate moment. This idea was given by a fellow buddy here and i feel so eternal grateful.

I took a propranolol and less than 2 hours, my heart beat was back to normal. I was at the ER and met a wonderful doctor which check my past history in details. He told me and my husband that i am absolutely fine. I was relieved to know that i don't have a pre-existing physical condition that lead to the heart palpitation. It was all the benzo withdrawal. I'm finally convinced.

From that day onwards, i never look backwards. I remind myself, if another episode occur, it is because of withdrawal. I no need another valium to help me. It will go away by itself. Amazingly, after the incident at the ER, i did not have anymore heart palpitations episode. Life become normal daily and i feel GREAT. I feel less anxious. In the past, anxiety followed me like 24/7.

In late November, my husband and i decided to go IVF. It was a mentally and physically challenging process. I'm surprised I'm all ready to go for it and feel no fear. Well, my 1st IVF failed but I'm not disheartened. I'm going to try in again in another 2 to 3 months time. At the same time, I'm working to taper my antipressant like how i taper valium. I have confidence to succeed in tapering antipressant as benzo is even harder but i make it.

To all fellow buddies here, I want to tell you, WE CAN HEAL. I'm on benzo for over 20 years. Though in low dose, it has caused me lots of sufferings. If you are in the process of tapering, please do so diligently and slowly, at your own pace. Eventually, WE ALL HEALED. I wish you all the best in your endeavour. You may drop me a PM if you wish to ask anything about my taper and i will be glad to help where i can.

I wish you success and health soon!  :smitten:

Love,

panicnomore

PanicNoMore,

Great to hear from you, great success story, I love BB and I love success stories. 

Thanks

Tex

:smitten: :smitten: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Solaceandpeace,

What is your metoprolol dose?  Have you ever tried propranolol and if so how does it compare?  Have you ever had issues with racing heart/palps during withdrawal or has the metoprolol kept things at bay?  I'm on a low dose of propranolol 10 mg up to 4 times daily as needed for racing heart, mainly just taking at night because it keeps me up.  My blood pressure runs low so not sure about if I can take a beta blocker regularly but I'd like to because my heart pounds a lot during the day too.  Just wondering about metoprolol because propranolol supposedly crosses blood brain barrier and can cause more depression issues, and I have enough depression as it is with the Valium withdrawals.  Also, what magnesium supplement are you taking and what time of day?  I'm thinking about adding this in as well.  As I live in Texas, I'm going have to hold off on the medical marijuana for now lol.

I am on 100 mg of metoprolol daily, taken in two doses of 50 mg. It definitely keeps my heart rate in the 60-80 range, pretty much no matter what I do. I had horrible reactions to other blood pressure meds (Maxzide gave me a seizure and I could hardly walk for three months afterward), so although metoprolol isn't a first choice for blood pressure issues, it ended up being a godsend for me and has worked very well. I've still had a couple of palpitation type moments during withdrawals, but nothing too bad.

For magnesium, I was on Country Life magnesium-potassium aspartate for years (two tablets daily) until I found out that the aspartate form can contribute to anxiety. I'm now on KAL magnesium glycinate 400 twice a day, which is a form that is supposed to help anxiety and be easier on the stomach.

As for medical marijuana, hang in there because I think we will see federal reform sooner than later. It has been a miracle for me in other areas, not just migraine and anxiety. I didn't have menstrual periods for most of my life and they have been like clockwork since I started smoking a little over a year ago. The doctors have been pretty interested in that effect of it! And I haven't changed anything else, so there's nothing else to attribute it to. Having said that, I do have a complex ovarian cyst and a follow-up ultrasound this coming Friday for that, so who knows? But it seems like if me suddenly having periods was caused by something bad, they would not be so incredibly regular and predictable.

Sorry if I went a little off-topic there! But it does help a lot with the anxiety, and I think you can legally obtain CBD-only products (no THC, so no getting high) anywhere. Don't quote me on that though, but that is worth looking into.

Solaceandpeace,

I am on 100 mg of metoprolol daily, taken in two doses of 50 mg. It definitely keeps my heart rate in the 60-80 range, pretty much no matter what I do. I had horrible reactions to other blood pressure meds (Maxzide gave me a seizure and I could hardly walk for three months afterward), so although metoprolol isn't a first choice for blood pressure issues, it ended up being a godsend for me and has worked very well. I've still had a couple of palpitation type moments during withdrawals, but nothing too bad.

For magnesium, I was on Country Life magnesium-potassium aspartate for years (two tablets daily) until I found out that the aspartate form can contribute to anxiety. I'm now on KAL magnesium glycinate 400 twice a day, which is a form that is supposed to help anxiety and be easier on the stomach.

As for medical marijuana, hang in there because I think we will see federal reform sooner than later. It has been a miracle for me in other areas, not just migraine and anxiety. I didn't have menstrual periods for most of my life and they have been like clockwork since I started smoking a little over a year ago. The doctors have been pretty interested in that effect of it! And I haven't changed anything else, so there's nothing else to attribute it to. Having said that, I do have a complex ovarian cyst and a follow-up ultrasound this coming Friday for that, so who knows? But it seems like if me suddenly having periods was caused by something bad, they would not be so incredibly regular and predictable.

Sorry if I went a little off-topic there! But it does help a lot with the anxiety, and I think you can legally obtain CBD-only products (no THC, so no getting high) anywhere. Don't quote me on that though, but that is worth looking into.

I really wish I had a little blood pressure to,work with. That dose would lay me out flat in the floor.  These heart poundings are driving me nuts not to mention scary. I'll definitely check into the magnesium though and maybe a baby dose of scheduled beta blocker.

Have you been checked for heart problems with an EKG? If so, and they said you were fine, then try to remember that the heart flutters, feelings, palpitations, etc., are just temporary annoyances that won't hurt you. I'll be there too, soon enough, unless the metoprolol really makes THAT much of a difference, so we'll see if I can take my own advice then! Lol. Right now I'm trying to tell myself the same thing about the temple pain and throbbing. It feels bizarre. I guess it's just part of the process... i hope!

I haven't had one in a little while but had no symptoms prior to benzos, so I'm assuming it's withdrawal. I probably do need to get a checkup at my primary docs office, just so sick of doctors appts!

Question: I have been off my K for about a month now. I feel good. Someone told me to wait 3 months before I begin Val my taper, to get through acute. I asked my pdoc whether I could begin soon, but he suggested that I ask you guys what to do. He also added, "be very careful." Any thoughts? He also said that if members of BB agree that it is OK, only then will he endorse it.

Bets

Bets, I would wait a little while.  I crossed over to V from ativan and it took me 4 months.  It wasn't too bad.  I then immediately started tapering the V from 20 down to 15 and I got slammed so I wonder if I would have waited it would have gone smoother.  I also have other issues and meds so can't say for sure but if I would have known then what I know now I would have held awhile.  Now I'm stuck with s/x that won't let up so I will have to taper while feeling crappy.  I think it depends on the person also and you did so well with coming down off the K you might have no problem.  See what the experts on here say, I'm too new to really offer any advice, only relating what I am going through now.  Im sure you will do great and so happy you are feeling so well.  Good luck and God bless.

Bets, I would wait a little while.  I crossed over to V from ativan and it took me 4 months.  It wasn't too bad.  I then immediately started tapering the V from 20 down to 15 and I got slammed so I wonder if I would have waited it would have gone smoother.  I also have other issues and meds so can't say for sure but if I would have known then what I know now I would have held awhile.  Now I'm stuck with s/x that won't let up so I will have to taper while feeling crappy.  I think it depends on the person also and you did so well with coming down off the K you might have no problem.  See what the experts on here say, I'm too new to really offer any advice, only relating what I am going through now.  Im sure you will do great and so happy you are feeling so well.  Good luck and God bless.

Thank you BG (lol)

Bets the other opinion is what Clona told me. She said our bodies because of our klonopin taper are used to cuttiing at a certain pace.  So yes we should hold but since Valium was not our original benzo we can start cutting after waiting 3-4 weeks at the same pace we cut our klonopin.  At least that is what my benzo brain recalls her saying though I may have it wrong. 

I think if it were me given your dose of  Valium I would try a very conservative cut.  If I felt fine after 2 weeks I would go ahead and cut at a very conservative pace.  If I felt at all in the weeds I would just stay at the 1st cut dose and hold there. 

You are also one of the people who essentially felt fine throughout your entire taper of Klonopin.  You have also been on Valium now awhile so you are not shocking your body by crossing over and  then starting your taper. You are starting from a point where you feel fine. Again that is where and when we all want to start our tapers, not when we start feeling awful so again that is another reason I would begin my taper sooner rather than later.