Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Oh, goodness, Fluffer. I can't say I have heard much good about any of those Facebook groups. I suggest you stay away. You'd be much better joining survivingantidepressants.org and looking for their lyrica info. I found most of my gabapentin info on there. It is a moderator-driven site, and I find the moderators to be very sensible. There's one mod that's rather strict-sounding, but she gives very good information. Their benzo sub-forum is a very good source of information, also. You can't see the benzo sub-forum until you join, but it's there. In spite of the name survivingantidepressants, they deal quite a bit with poly-drugging. I think you would get better advice from them than from me. They have so much more experience.

I'm on 300mg gabapentin which isn't that much different from your lyrica dose. I take it 100mg 3x/day.

Let me look at your signature again before I write more....

Am I right that you have only been on the lyrica one week? I would be tempted to do a really fast taper after only a week. Like drop a whole dose, wait a day, drop a whole dose, wait a day, be done. But I'm not sure. Gabapentin is not Lyrica. With gabapentin, if I accidentally missed a dose, I felt it within 12 hours. So, if I tried a rapid taper like that and it was wrong, I would know very quickly and could reinstate very quickly with few or no consequences. I don't know about Lyrica and I don't know how you could tell your continuing benzo WD symptoms from your Lyrica symptoms.

Survivingantidepressants might know more, especially how likely it is that you could be dependent already and how fast a taper is wise after such short-term use. I think you should get on over there ASAP and see if you can get an answer.

Whatever happens, remember you have seen progress and you are healing. This will not be forever. :smitten:

[64...]

gardner99, you are such an amazing source of great info and such a sweet and supportive friend - I so appreciate you. Your talking to me has made such a difference! We are on similar (equivalent) doses of similar drugs.

I think I better just let my brain stabilize a bit. I am tempted to fast taper as you said, but this is what I've done many times when things get good and I regret it. I did it with baclofen when it was working, and the magic never returned even when I went back on it a few days later. So, I'll be more cautious this time. I'll let my brain heal and then, well, I'll have another taper at another time. Not my favorite outcome, but we do what we need to do to survive this thing.

So many hugs to you.

:hug:

gardner99, you are such an amazing source of great info and such a sweet and supportive friend - I so appreciate you. Your talking to me has made such a difference! We are on similar (equivalent) doses of similar drugs.

I think I better just let my brain stabilize a bit. I am tempted to fast taper as you said, but this is what I've done many times when things get good and I regret it. I did it with baclofen when it was working, and the magic never returned even when I went back on it a few days later. So, I'll be more cautious this time. I'll let my brain heal and then, well, I'll have another taper at another time. Not my favorite outcome, but we do what we need to do to survive this thing.

So many hugs to you.

:hug:

That sounds like a sensible plan. Sometimes you need to think things through and then go with your gut feeling. :thumbsup:

[64...]

gardener99, how is your gabapentin taper?

What can I expect most likely when I taper? I am so confused about how to do it. I want to try to limit trauma to my brain.

If I taper at 1mg every 2 weeks, this might be too slow and expose me to the Lyrica for longer. But, if I do more, it might traumatize my brain more? Has anyone done the DLMT method?

I wonder if I could do this for a week, then wait a week or two. I admit, I am terrified at the thought, even though it is months away. I just don't know how much more terror, panic, anxiety and fear I can take. Now that it is gone, I just can't imagine tolerating it again. I mean, a bit of anxiety is fine, but I am just sort of distraught at the high interest loan I had to take out!!!

Then again, some people do fine getting off of these, so maybe I should just put it out of my mind and heal...

gardener99, how is your gabapentin taper?

What can I expect most likely when I taper? I am so confused about how to do it. I want to try to limit trauma to my brain.

If I taper at 1mg every 2 weeks, this might be too slow and expose me to the Lyrica for longer. But, if I do more, it might traumatize my brain more? Has anyone done the DLMT method?

I wonder if I could do this for a week, then wait a week or two. I admit, I am terrified at the thought, even though it is months away. I just don't know how much more terror, panic, anxiety and fear I can take. Now that it is gone, I just can't imagine tolerating it again. I mean, a bit of anxiety is fine, but I am just sort of distraught at the high interest loan I had to take out!!!

Then again, some people do fine getting off of these, so maybe I should just put it out of my mind and heal...

I'm just not sure, Fluffer. I've never taken Lyrica. I've never been on a drug short term. I've never rapid-tapered anything. I don't think my experience slow tapering off of long-term gabapentin use is going to be helpful. Have you tried survivingantidepressants? You really need to find a Lyrica person and/or a rapid-taper person if you're wanting to get off of the drug before you become dependent on it. I'm not sure how long that takes. Weeks? Months? I'm not sure.

[64...]

Well, I will likely be on it a while. I am probably just thinking too far ahead. I don't plan to stop it any time soon. I am sure I will be dependent on it by the time I do. I just can't rock my brain again. I think dependence is better than doing that.

I'll join surviving antidepressants group. I did go there - they seem great.

I hope your taper is going well. Hugs.

Well, I will likely be on it a while. I am probably just thinking too far ahead. I don't plan to stop it any time soon. I am sure I will be dependent on it by the time I do. I just can't rock my brain again. I think dependence is better than doing that.

I'll join surviving antidepressants group. I did go there - they seem great.

I hope your taper is going well. Hugs.

:thumbsup::smitten:

Hello all

I would like to join your group. I have been off benzos for quite a while but I am suffering terribly from anxiety and insomnia. I have recently been put on gabapentin to help with both of those things. Currently gabapentin is an off label use for anxiety and insomnia. Not sure how I will react to this.

So far I’ve been sleeping and I feel pretty good.

I’m here because I don’t want to get hurt like I did on the benzo’s. I don’t know if this will cause WD or if I will get tolerant .

I don’t know if I can go through that again

[64...]
ego trapped, we are in similar situations except I am not healed yet. Adding pregabalin pushed my healing up a ton, but I too am scared. I cannot do this again. What dose are you on? Are you taking it three times a day?

This group was created to help people who are trying to get off of gabapentin. I have nothing good to say about going on or staying on the drug except possibly for very short term use. It is highly likely that anyone on it long term will become dependent and tolerant and need to continuously up their dose until eventually they are forced to taper off of it slowly, just like tapering off of a benzodiazepine. I've seen some evidence that the taper is easier than a benzo taper, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.

I'm sorry to be delivering bad news, but it is the truth. The best course is to take it short term and taper off as soon as possible.

I also want to point out that pregabalin (Lyrica) and gabapentin (Neurontin) are not the same drug. They have similar effects in the body the same way Xanax and Klonopin have similar effects, but they are not the same drug. Their absorption rate, bioavailability, clinical effects, etc. are very different.

[64...]

gardener99, this is an excellent point. I came here with the intention of finding out how to get off. I am hoping 2-3 months will be short enough that my body accepts a taper without too much horror...

I feel like gabapentinoids are like taking out a high interest loan from a loan shark. You do it if you are truly in desperate need, and you start making plans to pay off that debt asap before it gets too high.

I should clarify. My idea of very short term use is a few days for some urgent need. For example, I used a higher dose for a few days when I had to sleep in a strange place to care for my ailing parents. And I used a higher dose for one day when I needed to make a long car trip to a doctor when benzo withdrawal made car travel almost impossible. My recollection is that my doctor told me I could use a higher dose for as long as a week without becoming dependent on that higher dose. Then I should go back to my maintenance dose ASAP.

I again urge people to consider other options for longer term use, preferably non-drug options. If you must use a drug, use the smallest effective dose for the least amount of time possible and be prepared to taper, possibly with difficulty. There are no guarantees with these drugs.

This group was created to help people who are trying to get off of gabapentin. I have nothing good to say about going on or staying on the drug except possibly for very short term use. It is highly likely that anyone on it long term will become dependent and tolerant and need to continuously up their dose until eventually they are forced to taper off of it slowly, just like tapering off of a benzodiazepine. I've seen some evidence that the taper is easier than a benzo taper, but that doesn't mean it will be easy.

I'm sorry to be delivering bad news, but it is the truth. The best course is to take it short term and taper off as soon as possible.

I also want to point out that pregabalin (Lyrica) and gabapentin (Neurontin) are not the same drug. They have similar effects in the body the same way Xanax and Klonopin have similar effects, but they are not the same drug. Their absorption rate, bioavailability, clinical effects, etc. are very different.

I'm in agreement with gardener99, this is where I send members interested in tapering from Gabapentin because she's the only person still willing to help for which I'm extremely grateful.  My hope is those who are actively taking this medication and not interested in tapering will start their own support group, or you could revive this one. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=129833.0

It's perfectly acceptable to discuss your medications in Support Groups or on the Other Medications board but please reserve this space for those looking to taper Gabapentin. 

Thanks,

Pamster

oh gosh, gardener99, I am at a week now. Maybe I will start tapering and see what happens.

fluffernutter, are you taking both Lyrica and Gabapentin?

[64...]

Pamster, I am just taking Lyrica. I am taking 12.5mg three times a day. It seemed to pull me out of hell. I am still miserable, but not as much (not vomiting, shaking and feeling like I might not survive). i have been taking this dose a week, before that 3 days at 8mg three times a day.

I don't want to be on this drug, but I am not sure if I can survive much longer this way. I wrote here to find out how to taper when the time comes, which I am not sure when to do it. I am so torn. On the one hand, I want to keep my brain calm so that it can heal and not rock the boat. On the other hand, I wonder if I should get out now, before it gets its claws into me. But if I do a rapid taper and go back into hell, I am not sure it will work again. I am just not sure of anything anymore, just that I have to somehow survive.

The gabapentin equivalent is 6x, so it's a small dose in Lyrica terms, but not super small in gabapentinoid terms.

I'm so very sorry for your pain and I'm not judging you for taking it, we all do what we have to do to survive, I started taking Ambien 5 months into my cold turkey so I get it.

I do feel though that you should either start a thread or another support group for your Lyrica discussions, I don't know much about it but there appears to be enough of a difference in the two drugs to warrant a discussion space of it's own.

[64...]
Hi Pamster, I have tried - no takers! I mostly came here just for tapering advice, views on dependence, etc since although they are not the same, they are similar. But, I will leave here. I don't think there are any answers for me, sadly. I have to navigate this as best I can.

ego trapped, we are in similar situations except I am not healed yet. Adding pregabalin pushed my healing up a ton, but I too am scared. I cannot do this again. What dose are you on? Are you taking it three times a day?

3mg at bedtime. 2nd day and I feel better.

Looks like I may be in the wrong group as this group is getting off Gabapentin which ai just went on. My anxiety can be crippling at times and was hoping this would help.

[64...]
ego trapped, let’s make another thread for those going on gabapentinoid s. You are on only 3mg? Not 30mg? I’ll create a new thread over in other meds. Meet me there 😊

ego trapped, let’s make another thread for those going on gabapentinoid s. You are on only 3mg? Not 30mg? I’ll create a new thread over in other meds. Meet me there 😊

Oops- 300 not 3. ( must still be thinking in terms of Klonopin  and Valium🙃)

I will meet you on the other board thanks!

Pamster, I am just taking Lyrica. I am taking 12.5mg three times a day. It seemed to pull me out of hell. I am still miserable, but not as much (not vomiting, shaking and feeling like I might not survive). i have been taking this dose a week, before that 3 days at 8mg three times a day.

I don't want to be on this drug, but I am not sure if I can survive much longer this way. I wrote here to find out how to taper when the time comes, which I am not sure when to do it. I am so torn. On the one hand, I want to keep my brain calm so that it can heal and not rock the boat. On the other hand, I wonder if I should get out now, before it gets its claws into me. But if I do a rapid taper and go back into hell, I am not sure it will work again. I am just not sure of anything anymore, just that I have to somehow survive.

The gabapentin equivalent is 6x, so it's a small dose in Lyrica terms, but not super small in gabapentinoid terms.

This is an example of why these 2 drugs cannot be dealt with interchangeably. Saying 6x is an over simplification. Gabapentin becomes dramatically less bioavailable as you increase the dose. Someone who is dependent on gabapentin might find tapering off the top of their higher doses easy but the lower doses more difficult. I don't think it's the same for Lyrica.

Ativan and Valium and Xanax (etc.) are all benzodiazepines but they are very different drugs. I see Lyrica and Neurontin the same way. They are both gabapentinoids but they are very different drugs. I urge caution for anyone trying to make direct comparisons in dosing and tapering.

Im sorry, Im part of the lack of others experiences problem.. 2 main reasons, a) Im fried atm, and cant give the matter anything close to my best input.. b) My range of experiences of both gabapentin and lyrica, pre and post benzos, for tapering/WD symptoms and blunt force nerve damage, low and extreme doses, on and off, even singular a couple of times a year dosing, etc, is so individual and complex that I havnt felt I can bring any useful clarity to the table..

I have been reading, close to comment at times, but it all seems to be getting said one way or another, leaving the individual determinations Flutter just mentioned and the cautions Gardie has purveyed..

Im a bit on the fence about splitting the topic/s, -support vs thread correctness, probs because this thread has, in my time here, tended to be a “catch all”.. Valid points on both “sides”, so ill just go with the flow.. Fwiw..

A special thanks to Gardie for your fine efforts here recently, -a far better effort than I could have done.. :)

There is an old Pregabalin (Lyrica) thread under Other Medications, perhaps started by Shamo, that I wrote a couple of my experiences under, -namely a short trial as to MY incredibly rapid Dependance and even Addictive experiences with Lyrica once Benzos were in the picture (as opposed to pre-benzo.. My “other” med muddies the water though, so its just MY experience..

I guess if anyone would like my thoughts “somewhere” pls just ask, or perhaps send ma a PM with a link if I dont see it.. 

-Though Flutters “self navigation” comment probably sums it up.. Determine the need, weigh the risks, define the use, and tentatively trial.. -Reassess..??

My best to All..

:)

Cant, Fluffer chose to start a thread under Other Medications called Support for those needing gabapentinoid - please contribute your experience good. She wasn't getting responses regarding Lyrica in Support Groups but is getting them in Other Medications, so maybe that's a good place for her topic.