Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

[01...]

gardener99, what symptoms do you get tapering and how fast are you going?

I ask because I am considering pregabalin. I have been opening a 25mg capsule and taking 8mg three times a day for the last 2 days. It helps, even at that dose (it is 6 times stronger than gabapentin so equivalent to 40mg three times a day of gabapentin). I want to stay on until my brain heals, rather than going on and off (I fear that is more trauma to my poor brain).

gardener99, what symptoms do you get tapering and how fast are you going?

I ask because I am considering pregabalin. I have been opening a 25mg capsule and taking 8mg three times a day for the last 2 days. It helps, even at that dose (it is 6 times stronger than gabapentin so equivalent to 40mg three times a day of gabapentin). I want to stay on until my brain heals, rather than going on and off (I fear that is more trauma to my poor brain).

I'm not sure gabapentin and pregabilin would be similar. I think I have heard more trouble with people getting off of pregabilin than gabapetin.

I paused my gabapentin taper and am now doing Seroquel because I was more nervous about being on the Seroquel. For me, tapering gabapentin was similar to tapering a benzo, except I could go faster. I suppose if I had slowed down my symptoms would have been milder. Mostly anxiety and phobias and sensory issues, just like the benzo.

You're right about going on and off being hard on your brain. I was thinking be on it for a few weeks and then rapidly taper off, period. Or use it very occasionally. For example, I doubled my dose for one day when I had to go to a doctor visit several hours away. Highway speeds made me ill when I was in withdrawal. The extra drug enabled me to tolerate the trip. That sort of thing. (I was not driving!)

survivingantidepressants.org is a good source for info on tapering lots of psych meds. You might want to check there.

[01...]
Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I suspect pregabalin might be harder due to its increased binding so it’s very potent. I’m keeping doses small and will microtaper. Hopefully, I won’t have too much trouble but it’s worth it to save my sanity. I will have to microtaper baclofen too eventually. But had to do it too to get through. I felt it better than reinstating! Good luck with your tapers!

[01...]
When people cut, is it small like when you taper benzos? Does anyone do a microtaper? I know Stillbelieving did a microtaper with pregabalin that seemed to work well. I’m just starting pregabalin. Even at low doses it’s really helping. I didn’t want to do it, but I feel I need to in order to survive. So I am preparing for the future as I suspect I’ll be on it a few months to a year. Thanks!

Think I made a reduction about once/week with the gabapentin. I think Katz cut once/month. Maybe she'll pop in and let us know.

Think I made a reduction about once/week with the gabapentin. I think Katz cut once/month. Maybe she'll pop in and let us know.

Gardener I'm putting on a lot of weight with the gabapentin and my Valium taper is going to take years, v if not forever. Do you think it would be wise to hold the Valium and start tapering the gabapentin? I won't do anything until September.

Gardener I'm putting on a lot of weight with the gabapentin and my Valium taper is going to take years, v if not forever. Do you think it would be wise to hold the Valium and start tapering the gabapentin? I won't do anything until September.

Some people think the gabapentin helps with the benzo taper so they say do it last. However, I think people habituate to the gabapentin and then it's doing no good anymore. You've been on it for awhile so you may be habituated to it. I would say give it a try and see how hard it is for you. For some people it's easy. For others it's like a benzo. If it's hard, I would save it for later. That's what I did. Tapered until it got hard and then switched to the Seroquel taper. I consider how both dangerous the drug was and how hard/slow the taper would be which choosing what to do. Here was my reasoning:

1. Benzo is highly addictive. Wanted off that first.

2. Gabapentin was least dangerous but perhaps the easiest to taper so could get off faster. Tapered away half before it got really hard, and then needed to decide to stop or slow down.

3. Seroquel is just as dangerous as a benzo but I cannot sleep without it. Want to get as low as I can get on it and still sleep.

4. Since gabapentin was going to take longer than I thought, and it was my least dangerous drug (in my mind), held the gabapentin and switched to tapering the Seroquel.

You would also throw in the weight gain when weighing your options (ha, ha, didn't intend that awful pun ::)).

Some people think the gabapentin helps with the benzo taper so they say do it last. However, I think people habituate to the gabapentin and then it's doing no good anymore. You've been on it for awhile so you may be habituated to it. I would say give it a try and see how hard it is for you. For some people it's easy. For others it's like a benzo. If it's hard, I would save it for later. That's what I did. Tapered until it got hard and then switched to the Seroquel taper. I consider how both dangerous the drug was and how hard/slow the taper would be which choosing what to do. Here was my reasoning:

2. Gabapentin was least dangerous but perhaps the easiest to taper so could get off faster. Tapered away half before it got really hard, and then needed to decide to stop or slow down.

3. Seroquel is just as dangerous as a benzo but I cannot sleep without it. Want to get as low as I can get on it and still sleep.

4. Since gabapentin was going to take longer than I thought, and it was my least dangerous drug (in my mind), held the gabapentin and switched to tapering the Seroquel.

You would also throw in the weight gain when weighing your options (ha, ha, didn't intend that awful pun ::)).

Thanks Gardener. You tapered half the gabapentin and then it got hard so you held the gabapentin and continued tapering the benzo or were you talking about gabapentin/seroquel? Sorry, that's thepart I didn't understand.

After reading you I think in September I might continue tapering a bit of the valium if I manage to keep the weight gain under control. I had two days of good windows, yesterday and today, so that makes me think I'll be able to taper the valium again. I was very pesimistic after two very bad months. I see on FB forums of back pain sufferers like me, that some were on gabapenting for twelve years and them came off, but of course, everyone is different and my brain is so messed up already. I'm also scared of coming off gabapentin and that making it even more difficult to taper the valium. Ahhhhh what a struggle, to make a decision with these things. I don't even care about the trazodone, I'll probably stay on that forever or until I retire.

Wise words, gardener99! You are healed from benzos, right?

It's complicated. I had significant health issues before the benzos and am still on 2 meds that I'm trying to get off of. It gets a bit hard to sort out what is benzo-related and what is not. I think I have a sort of PTSD reaction to anything that reminds me of my withdrawal hell. And I think that's mostly what's left of the benzo's effects. My gut feeling is that the rest of my problems are related to the drugs I'm still on and my autoimmune disorder, not the benzos.

Thanks Gardener. You tapered half the gabapentin and then it got hard so you held the gabapentin and continued tapering the benzo or were you talking about gabapentin/seroquel? Sorry, that's thepart I didn't understand.

After reading you I think in September I might continue tapering a bit of the valium if I manage to keep the weight gain under control. I had two days of good windows, yesterday and today, so that makes me think I'll be able to taper the valium again. I was very pesimistic after two very bad months. I see on FB forums of back pain sufferers like me, that some were on gabapenting for twelve years and them came off, but of course, everyone is different and my brain is so messed up already. I'm also scared of coming off gabapentin and that making it even more difficult to taper the valium. Ahhhhh what a struggle, to make a decision with these things. I don't even care about the trazodone, I'll probably stay on that forever or until I retire.

I was off the benzo before I started the gabapentin taper. I was choosing between the gabapentin and the Seroquel.

Gabapentin is generally not as hard as a benzo to taper. I think when you get through the benzo and then give yourself some healing time, you will be happy to find the gabapentin is easier. I seem to recall that some of the gabapentin horror stories were by people who finished their benzo taper and immediately started their gabapentin taper. I don't think that's a very good idea.

The weight gain thing is tough. Eating healthy was really hard during withdrawal. I'm doing much better now. You will, too, one day.

Thank you Gardener 🙏. I'll hold the gabapentin and resume my snail pace Valium taper in September. I've discovered sleep hypnosis videos to sleep all night with them on, that focus on weight loss. I always sleep with nice affirmation videos since my 2019 Valium crash, but the same guy, Thomas hall, has a weight loss all night video. I'll give it a go and see if it helps with the cravings that I blame the gabapentin for.

Thank you Gardener 🙏. I'll hold the gabapentin and resume my snail pace Valium taper in September. I've discovered sleep hypnosis videos to sleep all night with them on, that focus on weight loss. I always sleep with nice affirmation videos since my 2019 Valium crash, but the same guy, Thomas hall, has a weight loss all night video. I'll give it a go and see if it helps with the cravings that I blame the gabapentin for.

I know how hard it is, but the slow, careful route is what works for many of us. You'll get there!

I know how hard it is, but the slow, careful route is what works for many of us. You'll get there!

Thank you Gardener, you've always been very helpful to me.

Thank you Gardener, you've always been very helpful to me.

Just paying it forward. :smitten:

22 months off my ct from V.  On 600 G for wd.  I still have nerve pain, cognitive confusion, anxiety, stomach spasms and depression, fatigue rls and bad mornings  Also crying spells the last week.  I have a lot  of stress in my life and no way to get rid of it.  I am wondering if the G is prolonged my healing?  Should I wait a while longer before I start my taper off the G?  No I don’t feel healed but much better then even a few months ago.  Any advice?

U

This is just my gut feeling, but starting another taper sounds like a risky thing to do right now.

I also always recommend people look at survivingantidepressants.org for dealing with poly-drugging. They do much more than antidepressants, and they have a benzo subforum.

[01...]
gardener99, how did you decide when it was time to taper gabapentin? I see you've been healed from benzos for a while. I will have to make this decision eventually with pregabalin, and am not sure when will be the right time to stop after I heal.

gardener99, how did you decide when it was time to taper gabapentin? I see you've been healed from benzos for a while. I will have to make this decision eventually with pregabalin, and am not sure when will be the right time to stop after I heal.

It was a combo of life circumstances being right and feeling like I was finally on the mend.

[01...]

So I’m having a bit of a cross roads crisis in a way. 6 days of lyrica and I’m 95%. I almost have to pinch myself. It’s a low dose for lyrica (37.5mg) but not that low (equivalent to 225 of gabapentin).

At 6 days, I could probably fast taper. But it seems my brain is really benefiting from this so I’d rather not. But the thought I’d another long period with anxiety is awful and the thought of returning to hell is awful. I just don’t know what to do.

So I’m having a bit of a cross roads crisis in a way. 6 days of lyrica and I’m 95%. I almost have to pinch myself. It’s a low dose for lyrica (37.5mg) but not that low (equivalent to 225 of gabapentin).

At 6 days, I could probably fast taper. But it seems my brain is really benefiting from this so I’d rather not. But the thought I’d another long period with anxiety is awful and the thought of returning to hell is awful. I just don’t know what to do.

Maybe you could try a really small cut and see if your symptoms get worse?

[01...]
I considered this. If they get worse, can I go back up or is it like benzos where once you cut, you often can’t increase again?

I considered this. If they get worse, can I go back up or is it like benzos where once you cut, you often can’t increase again?

I don't know about Lyrica, but I made a significant updose of my gabapentin at one point to get back to whole capsules when I decided to hold. It took awhile to get my sleep back. Who knows if it was the updose or the hold that steadied me. ???

My doctor told me, "The brain likes predictability." Just keep that in mind whenever you decide about adding or subtracting medication.

[01...]
Thank you so much, Gardner. I’m having such a hard time with this. I feel like my brain calming down is good for it and me. But I’m also really concerned about the consequences. I’m going to keep this dose another week then start a slow reduction. Sigh. I feel like I might not survive this.

[01...]
gardener99, how much gabapentin are you on now? What symptoms did you have reducing? Did you get back to baseline between reductions?

[01...]
ok! I reduced by 2.5mg of my afternoon dose. How long should I wait until reducing again? 2 weeks if I am stable? Does that seem reasonable. Gardner99, you are the absolute best. I am positively frantic and need to stop!!! The Lyrica survivors facebook group is terrifying me! But, my poor brain needs a little help!