Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

[ff...]

gardener99, I do appreciate your support in this. I did see some discussion here about pregabalin in much earlier days, so thought it was ok.

I hope that people tapering pregabalin will still be welcome (and I appreciate you making me feel welcome!) Although Lyrica is different, as a gabapentinoid, it likely does share a lot of qualities in terms of withdrawal.

After much deliberation, I've decided to split the difference between holding and stopping. I am going to do a slow taper at 1mg a day 2-3 days on / 4 days off (this is about 6mg a day of gabapentin and 12-18 a week). This is more than 10% per week, and might be too fast. That said, since I've only been on a low dose for 10 days, it might be ok. I'll just take it one day at a time. Some weeks I might not taper (hormone flux week), since I know I'll probably be miserable. I hope to be off in the 2-3 month timeframe.

Cantfly, I am so sorry you are suffering and really appreciate your taking the time to post. I'll PM you.

Cant, Fluffer chose to start a thread under Other Medications called Support for those needing gabapentinoid - please contribute your experience good. She wasn't getting responses regarding Lyrica in Support Groups but is getting them in Other Medications, so maybe that's a good place for her topic.

Thanks mate.. :)

Ill look later, running out the door into the big bright world of adventure atm (self pep talk in that, lol)..

keep up your good work..

:)

Cant, Fluffer chose to start a thread under Other Medications called Support for those needing gabapentinoid - please contribute your experience good. She wasn't getting responses regarding Lyrica in Support Groups but is getting them in Other Medications, so maybe that's a good place for her topic.

Thanks mate.. :)

Ill look later, running out the door into the big bright world of adventure atm (self pep talk in that, lol)..

keep up your good work..

:)

Have a safe adventure!

[ff...]

I have been a silent reader of this group for a good while and hope it's ok to join. I am not on Gabapentin but on another Anticonvulsant drug, Lamictal. I am off benzos for 4 years and 7 months but still on this other drug, which is preventing my healing big time and which is giving me horrible side effects itself.

My journey with this drugs sounds so similiar to many of your journeys... a pure nightmare to get off.

So before I wrote more.... may I join the group?

If you are still wondering, I'd say join the group.  We can all help one-another with experiences.  As you probably know, Lamictal has a different mechanism of action from gabapentin. 

All the best,

-RST

I just wanted to include the post from a while ago. It looks like, at least then, everyone was welcome. Is that still true? Because I feel like we are here to support each other. I agree that this isn't the place for going ON a neuroleptic, but perhaps a safe place for those tapering.

I have begun my very slow taper off pregabalin. I have so far cut 1.5mg (about 9mg gabapentin equivalent) from 37.5mg (225mg gabapentin equivalent). My hormones tend to cause surges in symptoms, so I am not sure if I will remain here or end up increasing temporarily. I hope more will come here to share experiences and provide support.

I have been a silent reader of this group for a good while and hope it's ok to join. I am not on Gabapentin but on another Anticonvulsant drug, Lamictal. I am off benzos for 4 years and 7 months but still on this other drug, which is preventing my healing big time and which is giving me horrible side effects itself.

My journey with this drugs sounds so similiar to many of your journeys... a pure nightmare to get off.

So before I wrote more.... may I join the group?

If you are still wondering, I'd say join the group.  We can all help one-another with experiences.  As you probably know, Lamictal has a different mechanism of action from gabapentin. 

All the best,

-RST

I just wanted to include the post from a while ago. It looks like, at least then, everyone was welcome. Is that still true? Because I feel like we are here to support each other. I agree that this isn't the place for going ON a neuroleptic, but perhaps a safe place for those tapering.

I have begun my very slow taper off pregabalin. I have so far cut 1.5mg (about 9mg gabapentin equivalent) from 37.5mg (225mg gabapentin equivalent). My hormones tend to cause surges in symptoms, so I am not sure if I will remain here or end up increasing temporarily. I hope more will come here to share experiences and provide support.

I look at it this way, when members are searching for help, they use the search words that will help them find exactly what they need, the title of this thread will not help people trying to taper from pregabalin.

garndener99 has stated she has no experience with this medication and since she's the only person who posts to this thread when I've sent members this way, you'll basically be talking to yourself and denying current members who may share your plight from taking part in a discussion. 

There's a FB group called "Gabapentin and Pregabalin Information". It's administered by a doctor who seems to be very knowledgeable.

[ff...]

Pamster, I have to respectfully disagree.

Gabapentin and pregabalin are very similar in their mechanisms and % daily / weekly tapers. Have you been on one or do you have medical knowledge of these compounds? The main difference is that pregabalin is absorbed better and more predictably, making it 6 times stronger. So the exact milligrams of taper is different, but percentages are the same. The withdrawal symptoms are similar. This is why many facebook groups are "pregabalin and gabapentin" because they are similar in terms of mechanism and withdrawal as well as taper. You can even look through this thread, as there are people here who have tapered pregabalin.

This is like saying we should have klonopin buddies, xanax buddies and valium buddies and so on and that people on these different benzos should not be asking advice from one another. Of, I won't respond to any posts or questions from anyone who did not withdraw from xanax.

Sure, I could understand if I were talking about depakote or lamictal and asking for tapering advice, but these two substances - pregabalin and gabapentin - are highly similar in everything except specific doses. In fact, people often cross over from one to the other, similar to the way they cross from one benzo to another. I have read most of the posts - have you?

I have gone to the Facebook groups, but because they are not benzo injured, the experiences do not easily apply. This is why I have relied on the valuable resources of this group.

Why don't we let Gardner99 decide?

She was very kind to me at first, and didn't send me away. However, perhaps I am slow on the uptake. Gardner99, are you saying that I am not welcome here? Gardner99, if this has become your group and you would like me to discontinue posting here, please let me know. Personally, I cannot imagine refusing to help someone who is suffering and trying to heal because they are on a different analogue of the drug, but I am sure you are very busy, so again, if that is what you want, I won't post here. Just say the word.

[ff...]

valiumnomore, I've been there. Interesting that they welcome those on both pregabalin and gabapentin. Why? Because the drugs are similar.

I was hoping to get advice and share experiences from those who are specifically benzo injured. But I am getting the message that this group is restricted. I am shocked and disappointed, to say the least. I guess I'll cross over to gabapentin so that I can get some support. I never would have thought, but I guess we are all just people here.

valiumnomore, I've been there. Interesting that they welcome those on both pregabalin and gabapentin. Why? Because the drugs are similar.

I was hoping to get advice and share experiences from those who are specifically benzo injured. But I am getting the message that this group is restricted. I am shocked and disappointed, to say the least. I guess I'll cross over to gabapentin so that I can get some support. I never would have thought, but I guess we are all just people here.

Don't switch drugs because of a disagreement in the forum. Take a few days to make your decision. :hug:

Fluffers is correct.

“ Overall, the pharmacokinetic profiles of these 2 medications are somewhat similar, but they also have some significant differences.

For example, both drugs are structurally similar to the amino acid leucine. Because of this, they can both undergo facilitated transport across cellular membranes through system L-amino acid transporters.3 This is the major form of absorption for gabapentin and pregabalin, with the exception of an extended-release gabapentin prodrug to be discussed later.”

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/view/how-gabapentin-differs-from-pregabalin

If you read further on this the differences are as she stated. The absorption and bioavailability. Lyrica has a higher bioavailability and better absorption.

I personally see it as them belonging to the same family. Sisters as you will…….. 

[ff...]

Paxia, thank you for your support - I appreciate it. At the end of the day, we are in this together.

Gardner99, I appreciate your being willing to come here and support people. I hope you will consider allowing people who are short-term, starting both during taper, before and after, a range of doses, and on either gabapentinoid. I didn't realize that this group was run and restricted by one person, but if that is the case, then just let me know if you want me to leave for not meeting the criteria to belong here.

Why don't we let Gardner99 decide?

Yikes! Gardener99 is not an administrator or moderator so doesn't get to make those kind of decisions. The administrative team does. This thread will be what the admin team decides it will be.

Personally, I don't get what the point of arguing with admin about this is. It's not like you're trying to get into an active group. You're trying to get into an almost-dead group. ::) What's the attraction? Why not go form a new group that that encompasses more meds and meets your needs?

This kind of looks more like an effort to stick it to the admin team than to get support. I'm sure you don't realize how hard the team works behind the scenes or you would not be pushing this. It is amazing how tirelessly they devote themselves to keeping this forum running. So why not give them a break, let it go, and create a new group?

As for me, I am not great at communicating online, so it takes me a long time compose posts. This post has taken me a long time. I'm not going to say anything more on this topic because I have other urgent things I need to attend to. Best wishes to everyone whatever you all decide.

Gardie :)

[ff...]

Gardener99, first, I have appreciated all of your support.

I certainly don’t want to stick it to the admin team. That is not the kind of person that I am.

I am here to offer support and hopefully get support from those who have the wisdom to help. That is all.

I was just surprised that the mods wanted to restrict posts to this group. It started out inclusive and a lot of people came to share.

I’d love for the group to become less dead again, because I know I’d love to share my experience and hear others.

If the group is dead, I wonder why it’s worth it to anyone to try to restrict entry?

Again, I value your support and other’s too. I have attempted several times to get another group going. I will keep trying. My last thread got a good amount of interest. The search tool on bb isn’t great but I’ll use it to try to find others.

I’ll just let this go. I’ll try not to be offended that you accused me of trying to stick it to the admins because I know I’m in a sensitive state and probably taking it too seriously; everything seems to make me cry these days. Barely hanging on. This group can be so nice sometimes and others I wonder if maybe I should stay away.

Can anyone suggest a good scale that would measure small amounts of powder? I am cutting my gAbapentin and my scale doesn't even register it. It's a typical $30 scale you buy at Amazon that is used to taper off Benzos. I'm currently doing a water taper which is driving me crazy because it's such a pain to refrigerate the one you take during the day and then you have to find a way to take that afternoon dose with you and keep it cool. i wish this drug came in smaller doses. Thanks

[ff...]

Also, WhiteWillow, have you decided to taper gabapentin after all? I had thought you were just going to stabilize. Or are you dividing the dose into two or three times a day? If you do this, maybe start with twice a day, since your peak brain levels of gabapentin will go down a little once you divide.

Your steady state peak dose when you dose once daily is around 115, whereas with 50mg twice a day it's more like 85 (I can lay out the math if you want, but has to do with the 6 hour half life). It might feel like a dose reduction for your brain, but more stable over time.

Also, WhiteWillow, have you decided to taper gabapentin after all? I had thought you were just going to stabilize. Or are you dividing the dose into two or three times a day? If you do this, maybe start with twice a day, since your peak brain levels of gabapentin will go down a little once you divide.

Your steady state peak dose when you dose once daily is around 115, whereas with 50mg twice a day it's more like 85 (I can lay out the math if you want, but has to do with the 6 hour half life). It might feel like a dose reduction for your brain, but more stable over time.

Hello, fluffernutter123.  You clearly have a handle on the impact splitting doses has on steady-state drug levels! This is an important but difficult to grasp concept. I wonder if you would be willing to “lay out the math” for whitewillow — and hence other interested members — so we all can make better informed decisions about splitting doses?  Thank you for your consideration of this request.

[ff...]

Libertas, sure! I hope I can lay it out so that it makes sense. I used a spreadsheet to do it. I realized once I made my spreadsheet, the numbers above are off, but the message is the same. So, here are the actual numbers, using 100mg.

For simplification, I did every 24 hours, every 12 hours, and every 6 hours dosing. Many do every 8 hour dosing, which will be similar to every 6 hours. However, the math for this, due to the 6 hour half life, is a bit more complex so I'm leaving it out.

Every 24 hours dosing:

starting dose = 100mg

50mg at 6 hours

25mg at 12 hours

12.5mg at 18 hours

6.25mg at 24 hours. Another dose is taken, new starting dose is 100mg+6.25 = 106.25.

106.25 is approximately your peak dose and 6.25 is your lowest dose. If you run the calculation out, it ends up being just a few mg more, but you've reached steady state

Every 12 hour dosing:

starting dose = 50mg (100/2),

25mg at 6 hours

12.5mg at 12 hours, add another dose now 62.5

31.25 at 18 hours

15.625 at 24 hours plus another dose = 65.625 at 24 hours.

65.625 is approximately your peak dose - if you carry out the math, about 32 becomes your lowest dose

Every 6 hour dosing:

starting dose = 25mg

12.5mg at 6 hours plus 25mg = 37.5

18.75 at 12 hours plus 25mg = 43.75mg

21.875mg at 18 hours plus 25mg = 46.875mg

23.4375mg at 24 hours plus 25mg = 48.4375.

48.4375 is approximately your peak dose and your dose varies very little If dosing every 8 hours, it's a bit more but not far off

What you can see, is that the brain sees a much bigger dose, lower lows and a bigger impact the less frequently you dose with this drug with a short half life. In fact, the peak dose in the brain is more than 50% more when dosing once daily versus 4 times daily. My theory is that this is likely much more traumatic to the brain.

However, there is also time of need. This drug suppresses brain activity. It will have a bigger impact during times when brain activity is already low (most take it at night - good for sleep, but the brain might not like this so much). Some might argue better to take it when brain activity is higher, but that's a whole other theory.

I hope this is helpful and makes sense. I can run the numbers out to 48 hours if anyone likes. There you can see the steady state a bit easier. It just gets a little harder to read and comprehend so I didn't want to get too confusing.

Can anyone suggest a good scale that would measure small amounts of powder? I am cutting my gAbapentin and my scale doesn't even register it. It's a typical $30 scale you buy at Amazon that is used to taper off Benzos. I'm currently doing a water taper which is driving me crazy because it's such a pain to refrigerate the one you take during the day and then you have to find a way to take that afternoon dose with you and keep it cool. i wish this drug came in smaller doses. Thanks

Whitewillow, on those scales, when you add one of the metal weights that come with it, like for instance the 10g or 50g weight that often comes with the scale, you can put that weight on the scale and then add the powder that comes in the capsule (gabapentin in this case), and if you want to weight for e.g. 0.12 grs of the powder, then it would weigh 50.12 grs, or if you're using the 10 gr weight it would weigh 10.12 grs when you add the 0.12 grs of powder to the metal weight. I hope you understood. English is not my first language and for more difficucult things I'm not so good.

fluffernutter123:  Wow! Thank you ever so much for your helpful and easy-to-understand lesson on dose splitting and drug concentration levels. 

As you know full well, the time doses are taken as well as the amount taken can be very important both in achieving desired effects and minimizing undesired ones. Your lesson will help members understand the implications of making such adjustments. 

• 3 weeks later...
[ff...]
Clarifying post - I am not providing medical advice. If you felt that I did, I apologize. Please check with you doctor on any medicine. I am not advising to do anything without the advice of your doctor.

Hi everyone, I’m about 2 months out and am now trying to taper gabapentin. I’ve been on 1,200 mg for about 15 years. I don’t know why my doc put me on such a high dose. 2 weeks ago I cut it by a third to 800 mg. I seem to be doing fine except for a little insomnia and leg pain but that could just be my fibromyalgia. Before I got on gabapentin I used to have terrible nerve pain but with diet and supplements I’ve been able to control it. Is there a danger of cutting to much and too fast?

Has anyone had any positive results with this medicine - even a bit—short term? I have read lots of the bad stories on here and read it can be as bad as benzo to w/d from.  I am reluctant to try it— but I am in a serious bind physically, mentally— and docs are really urging me to give it a try— i am probably going to need to take Something soon—- just looking to find the lesser of evils…. Has even a short term trial helped with—control pain, anxiety, depression, or insomnia?  As I said I am in a deep bind mentally — and doing nothing has not helped me either. Not looking for confirmation to take it— as I will make decisions independently with doctors— just looking for patient experiences to do my best to weigh my decisions.

Well joe, im here on this topic to ask buddies here something abojy gabapetinoids ( lyrica ) withdrawal but i will let you know, i saw your still on zopiclone.. this drug like a benzo vauses awfull damage and chemical induced wd ( phisical and mental) im 7 months off this time , on my last attempt inwas very unfunctionall,  completely housebiund due to anxiety and.agoraphobia plus the whole ordeal of symptoms.. and when i reached 10 months off suddenly this drug (lyrica) provided me a big relief , and i began to function again.. it masked all my crazyness and mental distress caused by benzos.. prior to those 10 months i took it for many times esporadically when i needed to go out of home no matter what,  all those times it only made me drunk of too much of it and not much relief from the mental distress, but after this time frame something changed and suddenly oneday i took it and it managed to control my mental distress( long list) that was.keeping me so unfunctionall i coudnt leave my house

Im going trought the same thing again,  im houseboumd again, but im getting better, and i feel ths this drug it is still helping

But it did nothing to the worst of acute.. i got severly ill when i c/t .. it was a total F..nightmare( mentally)., it still being a nightmare but comparing to how it was , it got better, no drug can do much to help in the worst of it you must go trough it and kts awfull..  you should know that zolpidem like a benzo causes phisical pain aswell .. im against to this drug, how can a doctor prescribe a drug that makes you sleep but ends up causing you worst insomnia, phisical pain and makes you a basket case ? Where could you see someone benefit from that ? It doesnt makes.sense

Wishing you the best

Hey gardner and buddies , i would ask you about your point of view and from yohr knowledge given the time and folks you helped and saw recovering from gabapetinoids , can you tell about the timeline to recover from it ? in matters of the Acute from each cut, or c/t  and the  post wd of it ? Just asking for your knowledge based on what you keep up with

I tried to read enough to take a conclusion myself , but given the fact that i cant read much and.my cognitive abilities to be very impaired i couldnt reach a conclusion

I plan to oneday taper it.. its impossible by now, i got severly ill again  withdrawing from benzos ..  as you can see by what i wrote above,  this drug pulled me out of a hole on my prior wd

Attempt,  all the times.i had to cut the dose i got very impaired but i couldnt tell what was from the ongoing benzo damage wd and recovery and what was.only from the.gabapetinoid

I remember spending something like 4.days without and it was awfull, even being years ( almost 2) off from the benzos it made me feel an acute kind of suffering , very much like a benzo wd acute stage ( but again i cant say what was from the benzos and what was.only from the gabapetinoid)

Thanks in advance for any input