Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

My Rheumy wanted me to take gabapentin, but then I didn't.  How does a person feel on it?  Do you go into tolerance w/d?  Any w/d symptoms?

When I first started it I was a bit foggy and dizzy, but that went away.

I found it easy to taper at first but it got more difficult as I got lower. Way easier than tapering my benzo was, though.

The problem is you're likely to become tolerant and need to up the dose.

My Rheumy wanted me to take gabapentin, but then I didn't.  How does a person feel on it?  Do you go into tolerance w/d?  Any w/d symptoms?

Becks you should know, all those psychiatric pills leads to dificcult withdrawals, gabapetin and lyrica are no different

[ef...]

I didn't think gabapentin was a psyche drug.  I thought it was just used for pain only.

It’s prescribed off label for a number of psychiatric conditions as well as for drug withdrawal.

I didn't think gabapentin was a psyche drug.  I thought it was just used for pain only.

It’s prescribed off label for a number of psychiatric conditions as well as for drug withdrawal.

Yup.

It stopped working for me for nerve pain. You can definitely develop a tolerance to it and it does cause dependance.

I'm Stil on 1600mg, and the only reason I am is because the w/d was too hard to handle. I'm going to attack that taper after my benzo.  Bad insomnia and irritability/anxiety are the most common side effects I experienced. A lot like benzo w/d but I think a little easier..still hard for me.  It is a psych drug and they use it for lots of off-label uses.  It's one of the most over-prescribed drugs.  It did make my balance difficult with wobbliness when I first started taking it. It was prescribed as an alternative to opioids for my neck pain.  I hate taking it and it made me gain weight and bloat up. That's just my story. Good luck with whatever you decide. If I could turn back time, I would have never gone up to this high of a dosage, I'm now dependent on it.  It also wears off quickly anywhere from 4-6 hours depending on the dose. They do monitor the drug here in my state, so they know it is on it's way to being controlled substance. Just be careful.

I'm glad I didn't start taking gabapentin all those years ago.  I'll bet if I didn't have pain when I started taking it, I'd eventually have pain when I hit tolerance w/d and then started getting off it.

I'm glad I didn't start taking gabapentin all those years ago.  I'll bet if I didn't have pain when I started taking it, I'd eventually have pain when I hit tolerance w/d and then started getting off it.

I agree. :thumbsup:

You've only been on it a month? You should be able to taper off that easily since you're only on it a short time. I suggest looking through the previous pages of this thread to get some answers.  Most people have not given me good replies when I ask.  They often direct me to www.survivingantidepressents.com.  I've done a basic search on there and no thrilling solutions, either. When it comes time for me to start my gabapentin taper, I will probably use a jewels gram scale and measure out the amount of powder I need on the scale.  I tried to come off it twice dy decreasing 100mg at a time and could not handle the side effects from that amount. So for me opening my capsules and weighing a lesser amount that 100mgs will be what I do.  How long have you been taking it?  Have you tried to stop already and had a hard time with side effects?  You're not on a terribly high dose which is good, but this medication has been proven to cause dependence on does even as low as 300mg once per day. Some info you'll find if you look at the older pages of this thread will contain posts on people doing a liquid water taper and people who empty powder out of the capsules (or crush the dry tablets into a powder), and either weigh it out and reduce, or reduce by eye balling the amount.  Good luck! And who knows you might get a reply on here that can guide you directly regarding taper techniques and exacting them.

I’m currently on 150 mg of gabapentin three times a day for 1 month.

Does anybody know a good paper schedule to get off this stuff?

Hi again. I answered you on page 280. The best I can say is if your doctor says a rapid taper is OK, then I would do a rapid taper. I would come down on each dose evenly. That's possible doing a liquid which is easy with gabapentin since it is water soluble. The standard rule for tapering is 10%/month, but I think that's too slow for such short term use. I can't give you an exact taper plan because you kind of have to go by how you feel. But I can say I would not take more than a few weeks if I were in your shoes (as long as you feel you have stabilized since your hospitalizations and all the changes). I would also not wait much longer to get started or you could end up needing a slower taper.

If you're feeling good and continue to feel good, you could try

week 1: reduce each dose by 50mg

week 2 reduce each dose by 50mg

week 3 reduce each dose by 25mg

week 4 jump

Or you could just jump at week 3.

I'm only suggesting this rapid taper because you have only been on a month.

Thank you.

There’s no reason why I’m on gabapentin if I’m on a benzo still.

I agree.

I'm assuming you have already picked a taper method, either dry or liquid, since you already made your first big reduction. If it's working for you, I'd say stick with it.

I currently take 150mg Gabapentin 3 times a day.

Does anybody know a safe taper schedule to get off this?

I was on 900 mg a day but I got down to 150 per day.

I only started gabapentin a month ago.

I currently take 150mg Gabapentin 3 times a day.

Does anybody know a safe taper schedule to get off this?

I was on 900 mg a day but I got down to 150 per day.

I only started gabapentin a month ago.

I’m currently on 150 mg of gabapentin three times a day for 1 month.

Does anybody know a good paper schedule to get off this stuff?

Hi again. I answered you on page 280. The best I can say is if your doctor says a rapid taper is OK, then I would do a rapid taper. I would come down on each dose evenly. That's possible doing a liquid which is easy with gabapentin since it is water soluble. The standard rule for tapering is 10%/month, but I think that's too slow for such short term use. I can't give you an exact taper plan because you kind of have to go by how you feel. But I can say I would not take more than a few weeks if I were in your shoes (as long as you feel you have stabilized since your hospitalizations and all the changes). I would also not wait much longer to get started or you could end up needing a slower taper.

If you're feeling good and continue to feel good, you could try

week 1: reduce each dose by 50mg

week 2 reduce each dose by 50mg

week 3 reduce each dose by 25mg

week 4 jump

Or you could just jump at week 3.

I'm only suggesting this rapid taper because you have only been on a month.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. For those of you who came off of a benzo and are on gabapentine we’re you able to heal ok. I’m on gabapentine 400mg and cymbalta30mg.

Some say it prolongs the healing process.

Tulip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m almost 2 years off & in hell. Worse than acute this wave.  I’ve had enough & can’t take anymore. I’m researching gabaoentin to go on to relieve relentless & mental & physical symptoms.  Does anyone have any feedback about gabaoentin helping or hindering them - did it help them

Heal faster or just delays the healing? Thanks In advance for any advice.

Edit: Removed disallowed content.

Maybe reinstate on Valium and do a slow taper.  Not sure…you are far out.

Thanks so much for your advice.  I’ve been advised not to re-I stare & do a slow taper as I’m too far out. The last month of Valium use I was deep in tolerance withdrawal (didn’t know what the symptoms were at the time). Does gabapentin help with severe mental symptoms or just physical?  Thanks for your advice.

i withdrew gabapentin successfully years ago. it helps with all symptoms a bit. i needed 3x600mg.

withdrawal is not too bad if you taper. it is over fairly quick once you jump.

you can also try lyrica, it is a stronger gabapentin, this will definitely help with symptoms. withdrawal will be harder, but i can't imagine like a benzo. probably quick and brutal

if you can keep taking it only when symptoms get bad, like couple times a week, you won't get dependent. lyrica will work quick. gabapentin needs to be taken every day IMO.

Maybe reinstate on Valium and do a slow taper.  Not sure…you are far out.

Thanks so much for your advice.  I’ve been advised not to re-I stare & do a slow taper as I’m too far out. The last month of Valium use I was deep in tolerance withdrawal (didn’t know what the symptoms were at the time). Does gabapentin help with severe mental symptoms or just physical?  Thanks for your advice.

A side effect of gabapentin is depresson.  Doc asked me if I was prone to depression and I said, "yes" then she wouldn't prescribe it for me for my Lupus.

A side effect of gabapentin is depresson.  Doc asked me if I was prone to depression and I said, "yes" then she wouldn't prescribe it for me for my Lupus.

Thanks - hope you’re doing ok :))

hey all, just repeating my own exp., i am healed and will be mostly off this thread. had a mini wave related to some stresful exp.

gabapentin w/d is NOTHING like benzo w/d. it is short and brutal yes, i ended in the ER with high BP. but mentally i was OK.

i tapered slow  in a course of 3-4 months. jumped at 50mg. i managed the insomnia with seroquel 25mg, which i withdrew later very quick, with no s/x.

then I swapped seroquel for hydroxizine 25mg to help insomnia, which i also tapered later and remain drug free since then. yes IT IS a ladder, but it worked for me.

I slept 8h during the ENTIRE withdrawal from all drugs.

i used some valerian to bridge hydroxizine w/d. and don't come with this valerian messes with gaba bullshit i don't care. i took it, i stopped, no problem

gabapentin w/d was over after 1 week.

yes it helps, yes it will make you sluggish and your memory shot, in some (not me) causes depression, but then i have no history of depression.

if you are in hell, and thinking about REINSTATING benzo, by ALL means, take gabapentin or something. don't listen to fearmongering that it is a benzo.

i know people who ended up on benzos for gabapentin withdrawal, but they have absolutely no fucking idea what they did. if they thought gabapentin w/d is bad, they will have a nasty surprise once they try to get off benzos.

last words; as any drug, take gabapentin withdrawal very slow and small decreases like a benzo, and you be fine.