Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Hey there. Sorry just been referred to this thread. I have a lot to read up on but I am looking for an answer. I’m 15 months roughly off benzos. I gave in and went on lexapro a few weeks ago due to depression that was hitting a different level and bad panic. They suggested gabapentin.

Is this something that can trigger benzo withdrawals again? Or aggravate benzo withdrawal? I’m so afraid of anything bringing me back to where I was.

I’d be ok just go incorporate this in a as needed basis (planes) but I just don’t know enough about it

Jus, this is just my opinion, but I would take a pass on the gabapentin. I had to taper it after my benzo taper was over, and it was a beast. It did not help me at all.

You wonder about using it PRN, but the drug doesn't work that way. Initial use makes you very dizzy and shaky. That passes in about a week, but you suffer from feeling like c**p in the meantime. This from a drug that is supposed to make you feel better? So if you took it PRN you would probably feel dizzy and shaky each time you took it.

I know many psy docs are prescribing this for anxiety, but those prescriptions seem to be aimed at patients experiencing the manic phase of bipolar disorder. Prescribing it for "ordinary" anxiety never did make sense to me. 

So, maybe try something else for your panic? I would not take this drug again.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Jus, this is just my opinion, but I would take a pass on the gabapentin. I had to taper it after my benzo taper was over, and it was a beast. It did not help me at all.

You wonder about using it PRN, but the drug doesn't work that way. Initial use makes you very dizzy and shaky. That passes in about a week, but you suffer from feeling like c**p in the meantime. This from a drug that is supposed to make you feel better? So if you took it PRN you would probably feel dizzy and shaky each time you took it.

I know many psy docs are prescribing this for anxiety, but those prescriptions seem to be aimed at patients experiencing the manic phase of bipolar disorder. Prescribing it for "ordinary" anxiety never did make sense to me. 

So, maybe try something else for your panic? I would not take this drug again.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for that input. I have a lot to consider. My anxiety is getting much better since starting the lexapro. Depression is most improved. It was getting so bad. Going to give the lexapro a few more weeks before making a decision.

Thank you again for the response.

Hey there. Sorry just been referred to this thread. I have a lot to read up on but I am looking for an answer. I’m 15 months roughly off benzos. I gave in and went on lexapro a few weeks ago due to depression that was hitting a different level and bad panic. They suggested gabapentin.

Is this something that can trigger benzo withdrawals again? Or aggravate benzo withdrawal? I’m so afraid of anything bringing me back to where I was.

I’d be ok just go incorporate this in a as needed basis (planes) but I just don’t know enough about it

Gabapentin has been a miracle drug for me. After getting off klonopin my anxiety and panic order returned strong. Depression returned just not as bad.

Anxiety can manifest itself in many ways. Prior to ever taking a drug I had painful pins and needles in my hands and feet, muscle and joint aches and several other symptoms. Celexa worked great for 10 years until it pooped out. I could not tolerate tca’s, MAOI’d or Remeron so I was out options.

I started with a councilor, biofeedback and am part of A IOP. That 8-10 hours a week I work in a session. I got off alcohol awhile back. I do meditation and hypnotherapy app in the evenings. This things helped me and I’ve got some tools I can use during panic attacks but I still was not enjoying life. I have Post infectious IBS and degenerative disc disease. Both of those have some crippling effects on my daily life. My main anxiety/panic symptoms is derealization, nausea and startled easily. No matter how hard I’ve worked all of those things in the last two sentences still happened out of nowhere and my days revolved around dealing with those and going to whatever session I had that day. Go to sleep at night and do it all again the next day.

After speaking with my doc, we spent 30 minutes talking it all out. The truth was I still hated life and I was not a good father or husband. I didn’t want my kids to know me as a parent that has a absent mind and I felt I was sucking the joy out of everyone around me. He suggested a swab that looks at genes and somehow can show what meds a person may not tolerate well. I had sever antidepressant come up in the red category and I wasn’t surprised since I did so bad on them. My only green category was Wellbutrin I believe but he said he only uses that test to avoid ones in red. There was no guarantee Wellbutrin would help just that may not have the same side effects as the others. The other eye opener was I have some mutation that has shown to lead to depression. I started Deplin for that and it has helped some with energy and desperation but didn’t seem to help my panic problems.

He stated some people have trouble clearing lactic acid (something like that) from the brain and he mentioned studies have shown that can cause panic disorders.

My choice was keep living like this, try Wellbutrin or gabapentin. Because of the degenerative disc problem I decided to do gabapentin at a low dose and make my choice after couple weeks before I got in to deep on gaba.

I did 300mg at night for 5 days and then 200am and 300mg for the last couple. It has been great. It has helped my IBS, nerve pain, mood and sleep. My wife commented how different of a person I’ve been. My plan is to continue. I want to enjoy life like I did before. I’m also loaded with information going into this unlike I was with klonopin. I’m going outside more and back to exercising enough to make a difference. I’m going up 300am and 300mg for 3 months. After that I am going to tamper off over 2 months and see how I’m doing. My hope is that with my increased exercise combined with everything else I’m doing that I may be able to be drug free. If not then I initiate gaba again and get up to a dose that works and I will live life with gaba if Need be. It’s much better than the last couple years of my life.

This is obviously only my experience and everyone is different. I just wanted to share my story. Sometimes there physical reasons for anxiety, panic, depression, etc. I have no problem using a drug if it helps me be the best me. I do think everyone should be aware of the drug, know the risk, know about withdrawal, etc. be informed and have a good talk that doesn’t rush you and listens to your concerns and willing to help. From there make a choice that feel is right for you and your ability to truly enjoy life. If you choice to go on the drug then just have a plan in place. For me it’s always been to start low and be ready to make a decision by 2 months. Don’t let anyone rush you up to a dose or rush you off.

Best of luck.

Many of you know I tore my sciatica in the accident, so I use GPN for that as needed now.. -as opposed to constantly in the early days..

I just wanted to note that for me, and for that use, it works within 1-2hrs.. I did use it as needed for Drs appointments and such for a while too, and it helped get me through.. -But later moved to that damn lyrica... Thats another story though...

Im not promoting the drug, but wanted to mention this as I noticed that the lengthy initiation phase was also mentioned in the recent Benzo Symposium..??

I wonder if that was in relation to anxiety only, which I wouldnt know about as its not realy my thing...??

I know here in Aust “we” rushed into off label use of GPN, but the medical profession seems to be seriously re-thinking that now as a long term solution.. Infact that was very clear about 5yrs ago when C17 (now) snapped both his hands off his arms doing extensive ulna nerve damage..

I wonder what “the Crystal ball” would tell us..??!!

Many of you know I tore my sciatica in the accident, so I use GPN for that as needed now.. -as opposed to constantly in the early days..

I just wanted to note that for me, and for that use, it works within 1-2hrs.. I did use it as needed for Drs appointments and such for a while too, and it helped get me through.. -But later moved to that damn lyrica... Thats another story though...

Im not promoting the drug, but wanted to mention this as I noticed that the lengthy initiation phase was also mentioned in the recent Benzo Symposium..??

I wonder if that was in relation to anxiety only, which I wouldnt know about as its not realy my thing...??

I know here in Aust “we” rushed into off label use of GPN, but the medical profession seems to be seriously re-thinking that now as a long term solution.. Infact that was very clear about 5yrs ago when C17 (now) snapped both his hands off his arms doing extensive ulna nerve damage..

Cantfly I didn't know this happened to your son. I'm shocked and I can't imagine how hard that has been for both of you.

Cantfly I didn't know this happened to your son. I'm shocked and I can't imagine how hard that has been for both of you.

yeah, damn motorbikes..

Well it sure brought out my bad parenting..!! It was just after I CTd the oxycontin way back when... We wernt at home when it happened so I was suddenly dumped in our capitals new childrens hospital for a week with nothing...  Fun days..!!

Hope you are doing well yourself..?? Well you know, -WD well...

:)

Cantfly, I'm so sorry. Did they fix his hands?

Pretty well.. Slight nerve damage at times..  it was two off-end distal radius fractures.. if that means anything... Banana hands... :)

Didnt slow him down any.. :(

Pretty well.. Slight nerve damage at times..  it was two off-end distal radius fractures.. if that means anything... Banana hands... :)

I'm glad he's almost well then. It must have been so hard for you. As you ask how I'm going... horrible. I'm doing horrible. Insane level of anxiety. Of course better than summer (If that wasn't acute wd, then I know I'd never make it through an acute wd because I nearly didn't make it). Anyway better than then but considering it's been 7 months since the crash, I'm doing horrible. For instance today, the level of anxiety is insane. I fear I'll stay on this dose forever. I can't risk getting even worse than this. I can barely hold it together and I have a teenager with no help from anyone so as you know, I have to be ready to stuff in life. I guess that's it. 2.5 of valium for me. I wish I NEVER had started tapering, but now going back to 5 wouldn't help and I know it, so I stay put. Thanks for asking and sorry for the bad news. Nothing to be optimistic about in the bwd department today. I hope you're getting close to your painmed freedom.

I'm glad he's almost well then. It must have been so hard for you. As you ask how I'm going... horrible. I'm doing horrible. Insane level of anxiety. Of course better than summer (If that wasn't acute wd, then I know I'd never make it through an acute wd because I nearly didn't make it). Anyway better than then but considering it's been 7 months since the crash, I'm doing horrible. For instance today, the level of anxiety is insane. I fear I'll stay on this dose forever. I can't risk getting even worse than this. I can barely hold it together and I have a teenager with no help from anyone so as you know, I have to be ready to stuff in life. I guess that's it. 2.5 of valium for me. I wish I NEVER had started tapering, but now going back to 5 wouldn't help and I know it, so I stay put. Thanks for asking and sorry for the bad news. Nothing to be optimistic about in the bwd department today. I hope you're getting close to your painmed freedom.

Im so sorry to hear... :(  It can feel like a very solid and high brick wall indeed..

I wonder if we aren't in a similar position, just different meds and presenting symptoms..??

All my eggs are now in one basket, and if these probiotics dont work out I will be following Chin’s example, biting the bullet, and tapering off.. or down to the lowest of sub-therapeautic doses at least.. -Much like I did with the Valium... 

Its really crap when its not just ourselves that suffer this and our kids or other loved ones are severely affected too... Im still pretty pissed off at so many government entities that made all the right promises of help and support for C17, but when the time came they ran for the hills, often throwing fuel on the fire first... So from my experience, fwiw, if you find you have to bite the bullet at some point, try to make the best self reliant plan you can, accept the downsides and pick up the pieces later.. Brutal as that may be... It makes me so angry, but I cant see an alternative... (open to suggestions though..?? -anyone..??)

Just dont give up looking for those little pieces that can add up to make a difference, whatever they might be for you... Its clear your strength and perseverance isnt the issue, so I trust that will see you and your daughter through this and clear out the other side... The term “forged in fire” springs to mind...

Strength to you..

Hi Cant.  I hope the gabapentin people excuse us both for having gone off topic a little bit here. I should probably put gabapentin back on my signature again so that it makes any sense that I'm following this thread.

I'm so sorry your son didn't get the promised help from the government. Bureaucracy can be so cruel because when you get an unfair resolution there's nobody to yell at or get mad at or reply to. It's just a huge heartless machinery. I guess all your four children will turn out to be very strong men in the end and it's a shame that has to happen at the price of so much trauma for all of you. I'm turning more religious again as I really don't see that this world makes any sense justice wise, although I know that's not everyone's thing. I just want to believe that for families that have suffered as much as yours has, there has to be a silver lining somewhere, call me naive.

As for me, for now, no tapering. My daughter, work, finances and other obligations are not going to be taken over by anyone, so no more surprises to my brain for now. My priority is not coming off all meds. My priority is raising this kid to her best capabilities and not losing all my finances to benzo brain (in summer it used to take me 45 mins to make an online bank transfer). My priorities are clear.

I can imagine that you must be going through hellish opiate withdrawals as you'd otherwise be tapering, because I know how much you love a good taper  :laugh:. Are you in a rush to come off? I don't know anything about opiates but what if you just cut a minuscule amount a year? It's not like we're going to get a medal or make it to the Guiness Record book for being clean sooner. I really hope the probiotics do the trick or at least help enough.

Who knows, maybe you can come off before you think and you can finally make it to the Japan Olympics this summer. I might go to cheer you in whatever category you decide to compete, but don't worry, I'll wear a T shirt that says "still on drugs" so that they sit me in the third class terraces.

I hope everyone has a decent day.

Hi Cant.  I hope the gabapentin people excuse us both for having gone off topic a little bit here. I should probably put gabapentin back on my signature again so that it makes any sense that I'm following this thread.

I'm so sorry your son didn't get the promised help from the government. Bureaucracy can be so cruel because when you get an unfair resolution there's nobody to yell at or get mad at or reply to. It's just a huge heartless machinery. I guess all your four children will turn out to be very strong men in the end and it's a shame that has to happen at the price of so much trauma for all of you. I'm turning more religious again as I really don't see that this world makes any sense justice wise, although I know that's not everyone's thing. I just want to believe that for families that have suffered as much as yours has, there has to be a silver lining somewhere, call me naive.

As for me, for now, no tapering. My daughter, work, finances and other obligations are not going to be taken over by anyone, so no more surprises to my brain for now. My priority is not coming off all meds. My priority is raising this kid to her best capabilities and not losing all my finances to benzo brain (in summer it used to take me 45 mins to make an online bank transfer). My priorities are clear.

I can imagine that you must be going through hellish opiate withdrawals as you'd otherwise be tapering, because I know how much you love a good taper  :laugh:. Are you in a rush to come off? I don't know anything about opiates but what if you just cut a minuscule amount a year? It's not like we're going to get a medal or make it to the Guiness Record book for being clean sooner. I really hope the probiotics do the trick or at least help enough.

Who knows, maybe you can come off before you think and you can finally make it to the Japan Olympics this summer. I might go to cheer you in whatever category you decide to compete, but don't worry, I'll wear a T shirt that says "still on drugs" so that they sit me in the third class terraces.

I hope everyone has a decent day.

Yes, we will have to catch up somewhere else when I feel a bit more human..  Im inside out atm...

Sorry...

Not reading all these pages so sorry this has probably been talked about but does gabapentin slow down healing from benzo?

Also if I stay on gaba and then am doing better in a year and get if gaba then am I just gonna be right back to healing from whatever gaba did?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know,of gabapentin has tolerance withdrawal like benzos?

I got off K a year ago but have slowly been getting off gabapentin 100 mugs every other week.  I have taken four months off though and currently take 300 mg 4x a day.

Tuesday I started having terrible anxiety and panic, especially hot flashes and my entire body shaking.

Not sure if my Prozac stopped working or increased stress pushed me over the edge or is it a gabapentin issue.

Not sure and just want to get stable.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Yes it has a withdrawal profile similar to benzos.

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant drug prescribed for seizures and nerve pain. People who develop physical dependence to gabapentin may experience withdrawal symptoms when they try to come off it. These symptoms can begin within 12 hours to 7 days after quitting the medication and last up to 10 days. Symptoms of gabapentin withdrawal may include nausea, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, and anxiety.

Sorry for what you're going through, Brooklyn. Gabapentin was very hard for me to withdraw from. What you are experiencing may well be from your gaba withdrawal.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Yes it has a withdrawal profile similar to benzos.

Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant drug prescribed for seizures and nerve pain. People who develop physical dependence to gabapentin may experience withdrawal symptoms when they try to come off it. These symptoms can begin within 12 hours to 7 days after quitting the medication and last up to 10 days. Symptoms of gabapentin withdrawal may include nausea, dizziness, headaches, insomnia, and anxiety.

Sorry for what you're going through, Brooklyn. Gabapentin was very hard for me to withdraw from. What you are experiencing may well be from your gaba withdrawal.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Thank,you for your reply, it means a lot.

So even though I haven’t reduced gabapentin for over four months my body might have started withdrawing cause it got used to it? So then I need to get to a stable dose and hold and then start reducing slowly again?

Kind of like what I did with K? Or maybe it isn’t to do with the gabapentin at all and my Prozac isn’t working anymore.  I have had these symptoms in the past during break downs where I have intense panic and anxiety and can’t eat or sleep and shake and shiver really bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have been off of benzos for 6 years and started experiencing waves that have bene really harsh lately. I have been taking gabapentin for 3 years now 300mg x 3 times a day and am wondering if it is possible that it could be the gaba? I know there is w/d if I reduce but I have not reduced. What advise if anything I can get would be deeply appreciated. I am thinking of going to 1200 a day. Any experience would be appreciated.

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

Not reading all these pages so sorry this has probably been talked about but does gabapentin slow down healing from benzo?

Also if I stay on gaba and then am doing better in a year and get if gaba then am I just gonna be right back to healing from whatever gaba did?

Yes these drugs are trash. They do slow healing. They don't impact gaba like benzos but work on glutamate so it's still interrupting the balance between the two. I was stuck on lyrica for 2 years which is similar to gabapentin and I barely healed at all, then had a rough withdrawal. All these drugs are poison, don't trust doctors as they don't even understand these meds.