Remeron (Mirtazapine) Withdrawal Support Group

[no...]

Hello so I have been taken Mirt 30mg for 15 days then lowed to 22.5 one night and then 2 nights at 15mg. total 18 days. Should I stop it now? And tonight Im gonna finish my switch from 1.5 mg Lormetazepam who didnt had an effect anymore to 15 mg Diazepam. I think the Diazepam is going to be able to make me sleep so maybe it would be better without the mirt. And I m going to use the mirt like sometimes to fast gain weight and sleep. I need to know because I m not sure I m doing

Careful, my experience was that one benzo does not stop the withdrawal from the other. I was CT’d off of Xanax in the hospital and then given an equivalent dose of Ativan. Ativan did not stop me from going onto full blown Xanax cold turkey acute withdrawal. It took about 2 weeks to stabilize and it was 2 weeks of HELL. After two weeks everything was still echoing and I was still having mild hallucinations. The Ashton manual recommends a benzo crossover schedule for a solid reason.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Co...]

• [ja...]

• [no...]

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Ive followed the Ashton manul to my switch it took me 3 weeks to switch. The problem is I didnt take my mirtazapine last night. I slept 2 hours and then completely awake. I tried to go back to sleep but after 2 hours I took 7.5mg of mirt. I slept good but I had to wake up for my job and I went there completely drugged. I managed the day but I really dont know what to do.

yes Ive followed the Ashton manul to my switch it took me 3 weeks to switch. The problem is I didnt take my mirtazapine last night. I slept 2 hours and then completely awake. I tried to go back to sleep but after 2 hours I took 7.5mg of mirt. I slept good but I had to wake up for my job and I went there completely drugged. I managed the day but I really dont know what to do.

Oh ok, yeah a three week crossover sounds like it should spare you from most or at least some of what I went through with that. Was your lack of sleep mirt withdrawal or were you not sleeping in the first place and that is what led you to take mirt?

yes my lack of sleep came because I cold turkey my benzo and when I tryied to reinstate I was sleeping like 3 hours a night maximum. I stayed like that for 2 months and day by day it became hell a little bit more each day. With the lack of sleep then came the stress, then anxiety then panic attack and anxiety all day long with suicidal thoughs because I couldnt see an issue an everybody was telling me that it was all psychological. nobody was understanding was I was through. Then I went after many doctors and everything I could find to a psychiatrist who gave me mirt 30 mg and I tryied it for 2 weeks. At the beginning it was hell because of the accute anxiety and suicidal thoughts but at least I slept more. Then anxiety and everything went down progressive with the more sleep so less stress day by day. And at the samr time I was switching by myself my benzo to the Diazepam and it worked with anxiety too. So now I totally switched to Diazepam and I saw my psychiatrist and we agreed that I m going to stay on mirt 15 mg for a time. Thats the only thing that makes me sleep. I dont want to live again the no sleep effect. Even if I dont want to live with pills all my life. And He s going to work with me after I mcompletely stabilized and I feel good for a time to low my Diazepam and mirt to stop them. But not too fast. Patience is the key.

And sorry for my english I speak french.

Got it. Well, then I have to take back what I said earlier. If I was in your shoes I would not stop taking the mirtazapine proven by the fact that when I was in your shoes I did not stop taking mirtazapine. Keep in mind I did not suffer any significant side effects from mirtazapine. If I had then it may have been a different story. I don’t believe I would have survived without the sleep and appetite that mirtazapine gave me. It sucks to be tapering it now but at least I am here. It took me 1 year and 5 months to taper from 15 mg down to the 1.38 mg I am at now and it could be another 6 months to a year to finish the rest which sucks. So know what you are getting into but if it is helping you it could end up being a necessary evil. It certainly was for me.

yes thats what I think too. Its helping me for now and its going to help to manage my Diazepam taper in the future. Lets crossfinger. But being stuck with pills. I hate that. Lets hope that my taper for the mirt its going to be easy and not hell. I hope everything is going to be fine for you.

yes thats what I think too. Its helping me for now and its going to help to manage my Diazepam taper in the future. Lets crossfinger. But being stuck with pills. I hate that. Lets hope that my taper for the mirt its going to be easy and not hell. I hope everything is going to be fine for you.

One last thing. In my opinion 15 mg is the max amount you should be taking for benzo withdrawal. At 30 mg it may actually induce anxiety because it will act as a stimulant which is the opposite of what we need in benzo withdrawal. At 15mg it is more well balanced. For me as I started to taper I found that I felt best between 7.5 mg and 11 mg. When I dropped below 11 mg I felt much more like myself, however it could just be that I was in a point in my benzo withdrawal where i was starting to get my emotions back. Hard to say. Just my opinion.

ok thanks for your advice. For now I ll not play with the ammount and let my body stabilized. Then I ll search my heaven point. lol. Ill stick with 15 mg for now because I feel a little anxiety is not far if you understand. I was just traumatized for a while so I m going to live like a month or 2 to feel normal without (to forget) the fear of the anxiety.

Anyone said side effect? I am at 8.5 mg and i cant go anywhere. For the last 3 months, all they have attacked on me. Dizziness, headaches, Gi issues etc. It could be a lifesaver for benzo WDers. But not for the others. Intense 3 drug WD was better than even holds of this stuff. Wish someone would warn me strongly when i was 3 weeks on that. But, i strongly believe every journey is made by God and every journey has a purpose...

Hi friends. A lovely puppy which i feed in the street bit me today while loving him and i went to the hospital instantly. They gave me a shot of vaccine and ll also give two shot more. I am abit fearful about the side effects or interaction. Has any of you lived such a weird thing and what happened? It was a must so i made it done. That happened while i have been suffering extreme depression, so i am even thinking to updose from 8.5 to 9. Any comment is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
[c1...]

Remeron gets stronger the lower the dose. Below 7mg. Why taper and not just jump at a higher dose.

That's a good question. However, despite hearing this many times in my experience it does not get stronger as the dose gets lower. As a matter of fact, once I got under 4 mg I had to start taking melatonin for sleep again like before I was on the remeron. I am now down to 1.68 mg and I do not get as sleepy as I used to after taking it. Also, I feel that after getting below a certain amount it's antihistamine effects start dissipating as well. My allergies are worse the lower I go. If it's antihistamine properties became stronger the lower you go then I would expect the opposite. I think the stronger the lower you go is only true to a certain point and only applies to specific effects of the drug.

I was on Remeron for about a month and a half for sleep after Zopiclone induced insomnia. I only took one tab at 15mg, and I think for 3 days I took 7.5mg. The rest of the month and a half I only took 3.75mg.

There is definitely a difference in anti-histamine effect between 15mg, 7.5mg and 3.75mg.

15mg would knock me flat on my ass and I would feel like a zombie the next day, barely being able to do anything. 7.5mg was tolerable, but the entire morning would be a write off.

At 3.75mg, it would barely give me a gentle push to sleep, and would only be mildly drowsy upon wake up. But after a month, that effect started to run out, and about a bit more than a week or so, 3.75mg no longer did anything.

I am back to full on insomnia, and supplements like Valerian and Theanine definitely help, but I'm thinking of going back on Remeron, as I don't want to be using Gaba receptor agonists and blunt my recovery.

It seems you were on this for a while. I'm thinking of going back on it, and riding it slowly up to 15mg (taking 3.75mg again, see if my body recovered some sensitivity). I'm sure 3.5mg would help me again for at least a week, then I'd bump it up to 5mg, ride that as long as I can, then 7.5mg, and so on until I get to 15mg.

What do you think? May I has how long where you on the Remeron? And were you taking the 15mg full blast from the beginning?

Remeron gets stronger the lower the dose. Below 7mg. Why taper and not just jump at a higher dose.

That's a good question. However, despite hearing this many times in my experience it does not get stronger as the dose gets lower. As a matter of fact, once I got under 4 mg I had to start taking melatonin for sleep again like before I was on the remeron. I am now down to 1.68 mg and I do not get as sleepy as I used to after taking it. Also, I feel that after getting below a certain amount it's antihistamine effects start dissipating as well. My allergies are worse the lower I go. If it's antihistamine properties became stronger the lower you go then I would expect the opposite. I think the stronger the lower you go is only true to a certain point and only applies to specific effects of the drug.

I was on Remeron for about a month and a half for sleep after Zopiclone induced insomnia. I only took one tab at 15mg, and I think for 3 days I took 7.5mg. The rest of the month and a half I only took 3.75mg.

There is definitely a difference in anti-histamine effect between 15mg, 7.5mg and 3.75mg.

15mg would knock me flat on my ass and I would feel like a zombie the next day, barely being able to do anything. 7.5mg was tolerable, but the entire morning would be a write off.

At 3.75mg, it would barely give me a gentle push to sleep, and would only be mildly drowsy upon wake up. But after a month, that effect started to run out, and about a bit more than a week or so, 3.75mg no longer did anything.

I am back to full on insomnia, and supplements like Valerian and Theanine definitely help, but I'm thinking of going back on Remeron, as I don't want to be using Gaba receptor agonists and blunt my recovery.

It seems you were on this for a while. I'm thinking of going back on it, and riding it slowly up to 15mg (taking 3.75mg again, see if my body recovered some sensitivity). I'm sure 3.5mg would help me again for at least a week, then I'd bump it up to 5mg, ride that as long as I can, then 7.5mg, and so on until I get to 15mg.

What do you think? May I has how long where you on the Remeron? And were you taking the 15mg full blast from the beginning?

It sounds like your experience mirrors mine in that the drug’s antihistamine effect is lower with the lower doses. I took 15 mg right out of the gate. I was on 15 mg for 9 months and then started to taper. I am currently at 1.38 mg and have been holding for over a month. I plan to resume tapering on February 1st.

Hi. This depression is literally kicking my ass. I got through lots of sxs. But why is this one so persistent? I know i am very close to depression safe zone. But, i cant move on. What would you do if you were in my shoes. I am just holding, because it is so severe. Why dont you share your own experiences with me? I am afraid this group has lost the ability to support each other while one is having bad times. However, i have found solace here many times in WD and i also gave support to one whom in suffering. For example, while i was suffering balance problems a buddy from FB group suggested Sea Bands and it worked great. Or suggestions from Dave about histamin issues. Briefly, I need your opinion and i hope this group wprks again as a solace and support group.

Hi. This depression is literally kicking my ass. I got through lots of sxs. But why is this one so persistent? I know i am very close to depression safe zone. But, i cant move on. What would you do if you were in my shoes. I am just holding, because it is so severe. Why dont you share your own experiences with me? I am afraid this group has lost the ability to support each other while one is having bad times. However, i have found solace here many times in WD and i also gave support to one whom in suffering. For example, while i was suffering balance problems a buddy from FB group suggested Sea Bands and it worked great. Or suggestions from Dave about histamin issues. Briefly, I need your opinion and i hope this group wprks again as a solace and support group.

Sorry June. I can’t really give you advice on depression. If I am feeling depressed I occupy myself with stuff. But I never suffered from clinical depression and it really hasn’t been one of my symptoms in withdrawal. I had a lack of emotion for a while but I would not call it depression. I have to think you have some underlying depression that lead you to take all of those ADs in the first place. Most of us here were lead to antidepressants by benzo withdrawal. You are unique in this group having not taken benzos but this also leads me to believe that you were lead to ADs by actual underlying depression. I am sure this could complicate tapering your final AD. For example I had histamine intolerance symptoms for two decades before this mess. That is certainly complicating the end of my taper here. It is not only the exacerbation of my histamine issues but also the return of some that I had forgotten about. I have slept every night since on Remeron. It would be easy for me to blame my sleeping troubles as I get to the end of this taper on withdrawal except that I need to remind myself that I had insomnia in the first place and that is what lead me to benzos.

Tx for your thoughts and wishes Jack.

I am sure it is not underlying depression apart from WD. It is all chemical and histamine reaction. Because i have never suffered such great depression neither in WD nor in my normal life. What leaded me to ADs wasnt my depression like many people, it was just suggestiom of my friend to get checked by a "Doctor". I have listened him 10 years ago, used many ADs and got through lots of WDs until 2018 while not knowing what was going on. And you know the rest. After 2018. Briefly, depression or anxiety havent carried me to this point. Light WDs brought heavier ones.I remember the times when i was using Efexor, Prozac etc., I hadnt had such terrible terms. Yes, side effects were there but nothing compared to Remeron. Even holding is not enough to find peace on Rem. Suffering while holding requires not tapering. You know i got through anxiety for a long time, then dizziness, then GI issues, then this depression. How can i push it? I have checked in a FB group "Rem should be illegal". I think they are definitely right.

I am also curious about the histamine effect of this drug. Sometimes i am thinking whether i am the only man in the world who eats some beans/meat and then get depression/anxiety on the top of default D/A. There must be steady state point where i find some peace due to holding. Then of course tapering. I got through many problems while and after using artificial Vit Cs but now i must have some peace really.

All of these things make my tapering harder. I know this isnt a race. But i could come from 12 to only 8.5 in 1 year. Lots of suffering in spite of slow pace. Believe me, if i could, surely i would. And lastly, as you said some months ago, i am also screaming: I WANT MY LIFE BACK, TOO. :(

It was nice to read your post after such a long time.

Take care

[7a...]
Hi guys, I’m new to this group. I was give mirtazapine by my pcp for sleep and have taken it two days at 1.75mg. I’m wondering in your experience how long I can take it before I need to worry about dependence. It helps, but I’d like to avoid problems. Thanks so much!

Hi guys, I’m new to this group. I was give mirtazapine by my pcp for sleep and have taken it two days at 1.75mg. I’m wondering in your experience how long I can take it before I need to worry about dependence. It helps, but I’d like to avoid problems. Thanks so much!

Quite a few members have asked this exact questions. I have yet to be able to answer it or see someone else answer it. No one including the docs that prescribe them and possibly even the manufacturers themselves truly understand how these drugs work. I could say fairly confidently that you could stop now after two days with little issue. However, once you are a week or more in who knows. That would depend on your specific physiology.

[c1...]

I took 3.75mg for a month and a half. I went off it cold turkey, and only had (apart from the insomnia), some mild headaches and nausea that lasted for about 3 - 4 days.

Right now I am sleeping purely with supplements. If I get a good night's sleep, I feel normal, almost like what I felt like before this sleighride began.

If I don't sleep, then I feel like crap, but I don't think that's mirt W/D, it's just lack of sleep.

[7a...]

Thanks for the input. I’ll rotate this with doxylamine and hydroxyzine.

Andros01 what supplements help you? I’ve tried melatonin, valerian, theanine, passionflower, kava, lemon balm. None keep me asleep...

[c1...]

Thanks for the input. I’ll rotate this with doxylamine and hydroxyzine.

Andros01 what supplements help you? I’ve tried melatonin, valerian, theanine, passionflower, kava, lemon balm. None keep me asleep...

I'm not sure there's a point in rotating different anti-histamines, since I would assume they all work the same way: By antagonizing histamine.

I was combining valerian, timed released melatonin, lemon balm, theanine, and lavender capsules. A week ago I was getting 6-7 sleep with this combo. Last night I only got 4hr sleep with it.

If I don't take it, I get zero sleep. Like nothing, not even an hour. If these supps stop working, I may have no choice but to go back on Mirtazapine, and updose if I have to. I don't think we can heal properly if we don't sleep.

Like in the other post you made, I am really hoping the Ebb machine helps me sleep, as I believe extreme anxiety about not being able to sleep IS the reason I get no sleep. You mentioned it gives you a least a couple of hours in the other thread, and that it helps you fall asleep faster. I hope it does the same for me.

I just passed 1 year since jump, tapering off of 3.75 mg in 3 months.

I have the worst insomnia. But the worst thing is the light headedness. I cna't tell if thats a brain zap or not. It's just a watery feeling. I wonder if it's lack of sleep.

[c1...]

Well, I'm going back on Remeron tonight.

The supps I was taking only got me 2hr sleep last night. I am taking the plunge into mj to see if it helps me sleep, but my order doesn't show up until next Tuesday.

Sooo I will have to take Remeron tonight to get some sleep and probably for the weekend.

3.75mg stopped working for me on Jan 14th, and I've been off it since then. I'm hoping that means my body will get an effect from 3.75mg tonight, and that 3.75mg lasts until I make the jump to mj next week.

• 2 weeks later...
[f2...]
Wouldn’t it be best to taper off Remeron once we are 100 % healed from the benzos? Nothing I can see that would make believe that we can’t heal while still on Remeron?

Wouldn’t it be best to taper off Remeron once we are 100 % healed from the benzos? Nothing I can see that would make believe that we can’t heal while still on Remeron?

Yeah, it would probably be best. I agree that it does not seem than remeron interferes with benzo healing. My reasoning for starting my Remeron taper as soon as I could tolerate it was that I did not want to wait until I felt great to have to suffer again for a couple of years. I want to do all of my suffering in one cluster of my life if that makes any sense. Plus, I think I would have always wondered if I was healed or if waves were benzos or remeron side effects. That's my reasoning, however I don't think waiting would hurt if that was the route someone wanted to go.