• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Ca...]

• [pa...]

• [Sv...]

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I was also on klonopin for 8 years and remember the pain of being a slave to the bottle and cutting my meds, making sure I never ran out, etc. It's so crazy and I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!!! And I can finally take a medicine over the counter for something and not freak out about if cough medicine or something will interact wrong with it. I have been depersonalized since day two off of klon when I was in rapid detox. Did anyone else have this and when can I look forward to this PASSING? Will it ever? Thanks so much! I'm so happy for you!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hi Jya1124,

I read on your introduction post that you are about one month off klonopin? If that's correct these are very early days for you, especially after a rapid detox. I wouldn't expect you to be feeling 100% better. It will take time. I can't say how much time. It's different for everyone but what I can tell you is that it will get better. You will heal.

Hang in there. You're going to be fine.  :smitten:

Hi Jya1124,

I read on your introduction post that you are about one month off klonopin? If that's correct these are very early days for you, especially after a rapid detox. I wouldn't expect you to be feeling 100% better. It will take time. I can't say how much time. It's different for everyone but what I can tell you is that it will get better. You will heal.

So inspiring! Thank you!  :smitten:

Hi Jya1124,

So inspiring! Thank you!  :smitten:

You're so sweet LovingMother. Thank you.  :smitten:

Hi Chickiep,

Insomnia was one of my worst symptoms. I tried Benadryl. That worked some times. Some have tried over the counter sleep aids. However, as is true with most symptoms, time is what heals the best.

I know the feeling of walking around like a zombie. I'm sorry your going through this.

Hang in. It gets better. :smitten:

Thank you Hope for sharing your story and also you tapering..it was so inspiring and also gave me hope that one day I will be able to write my story.  I am so happy that you are doing so well and i see you were on the same amount of k as me 4 mg a day which gives me even more hope to one day it will all be over and i can learn who the real me is since i have been on these since i was 22 and im 55 now...it should be interesting.

thanks again

deep

Thank you Hope for sharing your story and also you tapering..it was so inspiring and also gave me hope that one day I will be able to write my story.  I am so happy that you are doing so well and i see you were on the same amount of k as me 4 mg a day which gives me even more hope to one day it will all be over and i can learn who the real me is since i have been on these since i was 22 and im 55 now...it should be interesting.

thanks again

deep

Hi deepcanyon,

Thank you for commenting. I'm glad my story helped.

For me the key was to not rush my taper, in fact, I may have gone too slowly (at one point I held for 4 months) but I was able to function which was very important to me. I cut 6% every 2 weeks. When I look back I think I could have gone faster at the start (6% every week) and see how I felt half way through, then perhaps slowed it down.

In any event, tapering is totally doable. The key is to listen to your body and if you are having uncomfortable symptoms, slow down your taper or hold for a week or two. You're in control.

I still have some symptoms now and then. I think they are related to hormones (I'm 52). Mine are fluctuating on a daily basis. Hormones and w/d symptoms are closely related. None of my lingering symptoms are of great concern to me. The occasional bout of dizziness, some tingling in my extremities but nothing that I can't ignore. They don't last (maybe 4 or 5 hours) and don't return for weeks. Because of the nature of the return of the symptoms I'm almost certain they are hormonal related. If I wasn't on the threshold of menopause I'm certain my symptoms would be gone.

You can do this. There is absolutely nothing to stop you from getting of this medication and healing then getting back to yourself. Just remember, you are in control. Work with your body. Let it speak to you and guide you. I think people run into the most trouble when they rush it and ignore the symptoms they are having. Nobody needs to be a hero here. White-knuckling it doesn't get you anywhere other than dealing with unpleasant symptoms.

Keep me up dated on your progress. I can't wait to read your success story one day.:thumbsup:  Remember you have a lot of people here who can support you during this time. Take advantage of that as much as you can. This forum has been a lifeline for so many.

Much love,

Hope  :smitten:

thanks again

deep

Hi deepcanyon,

For me the key was to not rush my taper, in fact, I may have gone too slowly (at one point I held for 4 months) but I was able to function which was very important to me. I cut 6% every 2 weeks. When I look back I think I could have gone faster at the start (6% every week) and see how I felt half way through, then perhaps slowed it down.

In any event, tapering is totally doable. The key is to listen to your body and if you are having uncomfortable symptoms, slow down your taper or hold for a week or two. You're in control.

I still have some symptoms now and then. I think they are related to hormones (I'm 52). Mine are fluctuating on a daily basis. Hormones and w/d symptoms are closely related. None of my lingering symptoms are of great concern to me. The occasional bout of dizziness, some tingling in my extremities but nothing that I can't ignore. They don't last (maybe 4 or 5 hours) and don't return for weeks. Because of the nature of the return of the symptoms I'm almost certain they are hormonal related. If I wasn't on the threshold of menopause I'm certain my symptoms would be gone.

You can do this. There is absolutely nothing to stop you from getting of this medication and healing then getting back to yourself. Just remember, you are in control. Work with your body. Let it speak to you and guide you. I think people run into the most trouble when they rush it and ignore the symptoms they are having. Nobody needs to be a hero here. White-knuckling it doesn't get you anywhere other than dealing with unpleasant symptoms.

Keep me up dated on your progress. I can't wait to read your success story one day.:thumbsup:  Remember you have a lot of people here who can support you during this time. Take advantage of that as much as you can. This forum has been a lifeline for so many.

Much love,

So happy for you both! I'm just wondering how you are "shaving" back. It seems like tapering is really difficult science wise too. Do you use a scale and just literally shave crumbs on it and weigh it? 6% at a time seems like so little. I know it's key when tapering I just think it would have caused extra anxiety tapering for such a long period of time and putting all the work into it like that. It has to be better than what I did which was a rapid medical detox--that was hell but at least it was quick! Sometimes I am grateful that it was so quick when I read that it is such a long and stressful process. My biggest compliant about my rapid detox is that the sxs were SO hellish and SO INTENSE all at once but it was really only for a couple of weeks that it was bad. The only huge thing I have left is the depersonalization/derealization (which I can only PRAY IT WILL LET UP SOON since it's been over a month now with it) and the extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. When does that let up? So happy you tapered and are feeling better!!

thanks again

deep

Hi deepcanyon,

Much love,

So happy for you both! I'm just wondering how you are "shaving" back. It seems like tapering is really difficult science wise too. Do you use a scale and just literally shave crumbs on it and weigh it? 6% at a time seems like so little. I know it's key when tapering I just think it would have caused extra anxiety tapering for such a long period of time and putting all the work into it like that. It has to be better than what I did which was a rapid medical detox--that was hell but at least it was quick! Sometimes I am grateful that it was so quick when I read that it is such a long and stressful process. My biggest compliant about my rapid detox is that the sxs were SO hellish and SO INTENSE all at once but it was really only for a couple of weeks that it was bad. The only huge thing I have left is the depersonalization/derealization (which I can only PRAY IT WILL LET UP SOON since it's been over a month now with it) and the extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. When does that let up? So happy you tapered and are feeling better!!

Hi Jya1124,

As you know, everyone is different. What works for one may not work for another. Some can handle a faster taper. This is why it's important to test the waters. I usually suggest to a member that they start with a higher percentage and see how they feel. If they feel ok, then stay with that or even increase it. If not, then slow it down. This way they can determine the right taper rate for them.

My long taper wasn't stressful for me at all. I didn't focus on it. At the time I was the admin of this forum and that kept me busy as well as other things in my life. I'm terrible at math so my husband did all of that for me. Every other Sunday we would just sit down and he would do the math and I would cut the pills for the following two weeks. Then two weeks later we did the same thing until I was done. It didn't take a lot of time. Maybe 30 minutes every two weeks....and yes I used a scale.  I didn't obsess about how long it was taking. I didn't worry about that at all. I just did what, at the time, felt like the right thing for me.

I've known several members who, like you, didn't feel they could go through a long taper. I have also known many who felt they wanted to take their time and feel relatively well so they could function.

As for your symptoms, I wish I could tell you when they will let up. Everyone is so different. What I can say is that these are very early days for you, especially after a rapid taper. I could hazard a guess but I wouldn't want to give you any false hope or discourage you. What I can do is suggest that you keep a record of how you feel each day. Perhaps use a 1-10 scale regarding each of your symptoms, then look back on it after a month. We don't always remember who we feel and it helps to have a record to encourage us that we are indeed healing. And you are healing. I promise you that. I know it's a little unsettling to feel these strange things. It can be downright frightening. However you will heal and you will be back to who you want to be and get on with you life. That is something I can tell you with confidence.  :thumbsup:

I hope that helped.

Hope :smitten:

thanks again

deep

Hi deepcanyon,

Much love,

Hi Jya1124,

As you know, everyone is different. What works for one may not work for another. Some can handle a faster taper. This is why it's important to test the waters. I usually suggest to a member that they start with a higher percentage and see how they feel. If they feel ok, then stay with that or even increase it. If not, then slow it down. This way they can determine the right taper rate for them.

My long taper wasn't stressful for me at all. I didn't focus on it. At the time I was the admin of this forum and that kept me busy as well as other things in my life. I'm terrible at math so my husband did all of that for me. Every other Sunday we would just sit down and he would do the math and I would cut the pills for the following two weeks. Then two weeks later we did the same thing until I was done. It didn't take a lot of time. Maybe 30 minutes every two weeks....and yes I used a scale.  I didn't obsess about how long it was taking. I didn't worry about that at all. I just did what, at the time, felt like the right thing for me.

I've known several members who, like you, didn't feel they could go through a long taper. I have also known many who felt they wanted to take their time and feel relatively well so they could function.

As for your symptoms, I wish I could tell you when they will let up. Everyone is so different. What I can say is that these are very early days for you, especially after a rapid taper. I could hazard a guess but I wouldn't want to give you any false hope or discourage you. What I can do is suggest that you keep a record of how you feel each day. Perhaps use a 1-10 scale regarding each of your symptoms, then look back on it after a month. We don't always remember who we feel and it helps to have a record to encourage us that we are indeed healing. And you are healing. I promise you that. I know it's a little unsettling to feel these strange things. It can be downright frightening. However you will heal and you will be back to who you want to be and get on with you life. That is something I can tell you with confidence.  :thumbsup:

I hope that helped.

Thank you!! When I went into detox I wasn't planning on getting off of my benzos. I have been in recovery for alcoholism for a while and relapsed once and wanted to go to rehab but I couldn't until I was medically detoxed--I had no idea they would take me off the klonopin dumb as that sounds. I think it was a good thing I did get off of it though but I don't recommend a rapid medical detox for anyone because I don't think they did a good job or even anything close to it. They made sure I didn't have a seizure and controlled my blood pressure and used Ativan sporadically but honestly I didn't feel detoxed when I left because I wasn't! I'm glad that there is so much support here for everyone and so much hope and knowledge in the whole process. Thanks again and congrats!!

thanks again

deep

Hi deepcanyon,

Much love,

Hi Jya1124,

I hope that helped.

Thank you!! When I went into detox I wasn't planning on getting off of my benzos. I have been in recovery for alcoholism for a while and relapsed once and wanted to go to rehab but I couldn't until I was medically detoxed--I had no idea they would take me off the klonopin dumb as that sounds. I think it was a good thing I did get off of it though but I don't recommend a rapid medical detox for anyone because I don't think they did a good job or even anything close to it. They made sure I didn't have a seizure and controlled my blood pressure and used Ativan sporadically but honestly I didn't feel detoxed when I left because I wasn't! I'm glad that there is so much support here for everyone and so much hope and knowledge in the whole process. Thanks again and congrats!!

Your story of detox isn't unusual at all. I don't recommend it either. After the meds are out of your system your CNS still needs time to heal. Many leave detox and end up going through intense withdrawal symptoms.

Congratulations for getting off alcohol. That's a tough go. I have several alcoholics in my family and I know how difficult all of it is. Well done! :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

I thought I'd pop in with an update. Things have been going marvelously for me and my family. I am completely recovered from benzo withdrawal. In fact, just this last week I was treated for a medical condition with antibiotics and had no ill-effects whatsoever.

This will all end one day for each and every one of you. I know it's hard to believe when you're in the thick of it but I used to be where you are and now I'm living my life and I've never been happier or healthier. Don't let the voice of withdrawal convince you otherwise. That voice is wrong.

You're stronger than you think. Believe in yourself and that strength. It will serve you well.

Much love to everyone who is struggling. I think of you often. I hope to have the time some time very soon to help BB members. Right now I'm looking forward to spring and long walks in the woods.

Be kind to yourself and take good care.  :smitten:

A beautiful update...thank you! I needed these words today.

With gratitude,

Carita

I'm glad anything I said helped in any way, Carita. I know this is so hard and frightening but it's temporary and you'll get through it. I used to try to get through just each hour...sometimes just each minute.

You're not alone. There is a whole forum of people who know exactly what you're going through. Lean on these people.

Much love.  :smitten:

Thank you all so much for all you have said here. I related to it. I remember getting through one minute at a time too. Congratulations on your recovery, Hope! I appreciate this dialog. And to comment on "the voice of withdrawal," mine said it was permanent too. And was extremely persuasive and convincing too. Hauntingly so.

The other part for me was I felt almost too weak to maintain or have any hope that it might be TEMPORARY, because I felt I had lost so much, that if I allowed myself hope that I COULD get better, and was wrong, I did not believe I could stand that pain too. But I was wrong. It was in fact temporary and I am in fact back to my old self. Except memory issues, which I believe could still be healing. Also I have noticed a little shake or mini-seizure when falling asleep that is stronger than just the normal jolt as muscles let go as we fall asleep. But I have a feeling this too is a mini-phase in my brain's full healing and that it will pass. In any case it is not that worrisome, given how far I have come.

Just wanted to thank you, Hope, for the thread, sharing your recovery, and the work on this forum. I need these stories to feel part of a community who understands. This has been an extremely long journey. I am so grateful and relieved to be on THIS side of it now. . .

Peace to all,

healingtime

Thanks healingtime for your post. I know someone will read it and feel a sense of relief.

This does end. It just feels like it will never end. I can so relate to your words when you stated that you were afraid to feel hope because the fall might be more than you could handle. I felt that. I'm not sure it really possible to really feel the hope until more healing has been done. It's like part of withdrawal. Your mind just can't go there. Then there comes a time when hope doesn't seem like such a wild idea. That's the day you know things are starting to get better.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post, healingtime and I know the member of this forum who read your post appreciate it as well.

Dear Hope, i am so glad you've made it and the antibiotic treatment didn't

set you back, which means your body ....your immune system is working well.

thanks for your update love, wish you well. :smitten:

Dear Hope, i am so glad you've made it and the antibiotic treatment didn't

set you back, which means your body ....your immune system is working well.

thanks for your update love, wish you well. :smitten:

You're so sweet. :smitten:

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I thought I'd stop by to post and update.

I was looking back at my post on my Buddie Blog. It's wild that I jumped almost 3 years ago.

I wanted to let you know that I am well. I remember thinking so many times that all the symptoms, tremors, anxiety, sleeplessness...etc would never end. In fact, I was sure it would never end. I couldn't imagine that my body and mind would ever feel like me again...and if it did I thought I'd be damaged. However, I was wrong. I am not damaged. Our bodies want to heal. Our bodies strive to get into balance. This is why when we get sick we get a fever. That's our body fighting the bacteria. Or when we break a bone and it heals in 6 weeks. That's our body healing itself. This is what it does. The benzo withdrawal you are feeling is like a broken arm or an infection. As we speak your body is trying to get back in balance. For some it takes longer than for others and that sucks. I know it's hard to read about how someone healed relatively quickly when you're still in the thick of it. But I'm here to tell you that you will heal too.

When I was a team member I was in touch with a lot of members over many years. Almost all of those members told me they were certain they would not heal....but they did. Most are no longer on the site as they have moved on with their lives. That will be you. Don't let the voice of withdrawal convince you otherwise. You will heal. In the mean time you must hold on to each day and get through it as best as you can. Try not to think about tomorrow. Trust in your body's ability to heal itself. You can help by learning meditation, or distracting yourself with a book, puzzle, tv show...etc. For me, chamomile tea helped calm and sooth my raw nerves.

My life have moved on. I am able to deal with social situations again. My marriage is strong (my husband is a saint for putting up with so much). Yes, there have been difficult times too. There have been deaths and other heartbreaks but I got through them. Going through withdrawal showed me that with enough time I can get through anything.

So, hang in there. This isn't the end for you. Years from now this will all be a distant memory. I know it feels scary right now but remember, nothing bad is going to happen. The side effects you're feeling can't hurt you. Fear of what's happening to your body makes all of these sensations worse. Any amount of stress does.

So, try to disengage from what your body is doing. Try to occupy your mind any way you can and remember this will end and you're stronger than you know. That will be the take away of this and that is a very empowering realization.

Take care of yourself and be well.

Hope

So wonderful to hear how well your doing. You suffered I remembered and I am so happy to hear your not anymore. What inspiring words you wrote. Miss you dear friend!

Have a beautiful summer

Your friend ~Jenny