The Voice of Withdrawal; silenced.

[Ho...]

When I was a team member I was in touch with a lot of members over many years. Almost all of those members told me they were certain they would not heal....but they did. Most are no longer on the site as they have moved on with their lives. That will be you. Don't let the voice of withdrawal convince you otherwise. You will heal. In the mean time you must hold on to each day and get through it as best as you can. Try not to think about tomorrow. Trust in your body's ability to heal itself. You can help by learning meditation, or distracting yourself with a book, puzzle, tv show...etc. For me, chamomile tea helped calm and sooth my raw nerves.

Hello Hope,

Thanks for coming back and posting this!  It's so, so true, so many of us have gone through thinking we'll never heal and yet we still do heal... :smitten:

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ho...]

• [Ca...]

• [pa...]

• [Sv...]

Hi Hope,

so funny, the other day someone told me how much you helped them

through their nightmare and here you are now...

Its good to see you are doing so well....thanks for coming back,

have a nice summer , hope to hear from you now and again. :smitten:

Hi all,

I thought I'd stop by to post and update.

I was looking back at my post on my Buddie Blog. It's wild that I jumped almost 3 years ago.

I wanted to let you know that I am well. I remember thinking so many times that all the symptoms, tremors, anxiety, sleeplessness...etc would never end. In fact, I was sure it would never end. I couldn't imagine that my body and mind would ever feel like me again...and if it did I thought I'd be damaged. However, I was wrong. I am not damaged. Our bodies want to heal. Our bodies strive to get into balance. This is why when we get sick we get a fever. That's our body fighting the bacteria. Or when we break a bone and it heals in 6 weeks. That's our body healing itself. This is what it does. The benzo withdrawal you are feeling is like a broken arm or an infection. As we speak your body is trying to get back in balance. For some it takes longer than for others and that sucks. I know it's hard to read about how someone healed relatively quickly when you're still in the thick of it. But I'm here to tell you that you will heal too.

When I was a team member I was in touch with a lot of members over many years. Almost all of those members told me they were certain they would not heal....but they did. Most are no longer on the site as they have moved on with their lives. That will be you. Don't let the voice of withdrawal convince you otherwise. You will heal. In the mean time you must hold on to each day and get through it as best as you can. Try not to think about tomorrow. Trust in your body's ability to heal itself. You can help by learning meditation, or distracting yourself with a book, puzzle, tv show...etc. For me, chamomile tea helped calm and sooth my raw nerves.

My life have moved on. I am able to deal with social situations again. My marriage is strong (my husband is a saint for putting up with so much). Yes, there have been difficult times too. There have been deaths and other heartbreaks but I got through them. Going through withdrawal showed me that with enough time I can get through anything.

So, hang in there. This isn't the end for you. Years from now this will all be a distant memory. I know it feels scary right now but remember, nothing bad is going to happen. The side effects you're feeling can't hurt you. Fear of what's happening to your body makes all of these sensations worse. Any amount of stress does.

So, try to disengage from what your body is doing. Try to occupy your mind any way you can and remember this will end and you're stronger than you know. That will be the take away of this and that is a very empowering realization.

Take care of yourself and be well.

Hope

So very encouraging thank you so much hope.  :smitten:

Hope  :smitten:

So wonderful to hear how well your doing. You suffered I remembered and I am so happy to hear your not anymore. What inspiring words you wrote. Miss you dear friend!

Have a beautiful summer

Your friend ~Jenny

I miss you too Jenny. I'll be back.  :smitten:

Hi all,

I thought I'd stop by to post and update.

I was looking back at my post on my Buddie Blog. It's wild that I jumped almost 3 years ago.

I wanted to let you know that I am well. I remember thinking so many times that all the symptoms, tremors, anxiety, sleeplessness...etc would never end. In fact, I was sure it would never end. I couldn't imagine that my body and mind would ever feel like me again...and if it did I thought I'd be damaged. However, I was wrong. I am not damaged. Our bodies want to heal. Our bodies strive to get into balance. This is why when we get sick we get a fever. That's our body fighting the bacteria. Or when we break a bone and it heals in 6 weeks. That's our body healing itself. This is what it does. The benzo withdrawal you are feeling is like a broken arm or an infection. As we speak your body is trying to get back in balance. For some it takes longer than for others and that sucks. I know it's hard to read about how someone healed relatively quickly when you're still in the thick of it. But I'm here to tell you that you will heal too.

My life have moved on. I am able to deal with social situations again. My marriage is strong (my husband is a saint for putting up with so much). Yes, there have been difficult times too. There have been deaths and other heartbreaks but I got through them. Going through withdrawal showed me that with enough time I can get through anything.

So, hang in there. This isn't the end for you. Years from now this will all be a distant memory. I know it feels scary right now but remember, nothing bad is going to happen. The side effects you're feeling can't hurt you. Fear of what's happening to your body makes all of these sensations worse. Any amount of stress does.

So, try to disengage from what your body is doing. Try to occupy your mind any way you can and remember this will end and you're stronger than you know. That will be the take away of this and that is a very empowering realization.

Take care of yourself and be well.

Hope

So very encouraging thank you so much hope.  :smitten:

I hope it helps. :)

Hello Hope,

Thanks for coming back and posting this!  It's so, so true, so many of us have gone through thinking we'll never heal and yet we still do heal... :smitten:

I've kept meaning to come back but life starts happening...well then there's one thing after the other.

I really think this kind of thinking (that we will never heal) is a symptom of withdrawal. It's so common. To me it's as much a symptom as insomnia. When you start to feel better this kind of thinking stops as well.

Thanks for responding Megan. You're so awesome and kind.  :smitten:

Hi Hope,

so funny, the other day someone told me how much you helped them

through their nightmare and here you are now...

Its good to see you are doing so well....thanks for coming back,

have a nice summer , hope to hear from you now and again. :smitten:

Wow...that's nice to know. Thanks for letting me know. I hope everyone knows they can contact me here any time and I'd be happy to support them and answer any questions they might have.

Hope,

So glad to hear that you have made it 3 years.

I have a  question for you - I seem to have the most trouble at lunch time.  I take my dose at 11am.  By 12:15 I am having terrible stomach aches.  It is the only time of the day it happens.  But it lasts till about 3:30pm.  Would you have suggestions on what to eat for lunch?

It happens after my dose, not before.  I can't see it being interdose w/d.  My doctor and I keep working out a taper but until I get this straightened out I can't see it happening.  He wants me to take prescription Zantac, but that has too many symptoms too.  I take Gas-x and that seems to work.  Just would like some lunch ideals if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks much

Plady  :smitten:

""Wow...that's nice to know. Thanks for letting me know. I hope everyone knows they can contact me here any time and I'd be happy to support them and answer any questions they might have"

Hope,

I have a  question for you - I seem to have the most trouble at lunch time.  I take my dose at 11am.  By 12:15 I am having terrible stomach aches.  It is the only time of the day it happens.  But it lasts till about 3:30pm.  Would you have suggestions on what to eat for lunch?

It happens after my dose, not before.  I can't see it being interdose w/d.  My doctor and I keep working out a taper but until I get this straightened out I can't see it happening.  He wants me to take prescription Zantac, but that has too many symptoms too.  I take Gas-x and that seems to work.  Just would like some lunch ideals if it isn't too much trouble.

Thanks much

""Wow...that's nice to know. Thanks for letting me know. I hope everyone knows they can contact me here any time and I'd be happy to support them and answer any questions they might have"

Hope,

Thanks much

Hello Plady,

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. For some reason the notification of your first message went to my junk folder. Thank you for posting again or I wouldn't have seen this.  :thumbsup:

I know many have GI issues surrounding withdrawal. That's one thing I didn't need to deal with, thankfully.

I've had irritable bowel syndrome for years. My doctor had me keep a journal of everything I ate and any symptoms I had within 24-36 hours of eating. I didn't find that helped me much. He then suggested an elimination diet. That is, I started out eating only a few things that I knew didn't bother my bowel (low fat meats, eliminated raw veggies and fruit. I ate any veggies I could cook and I stayed away from all wheat products...even the healthier choices like whole wheat etc). I ate within this range for a week or 10 days. Then I would add one thing at a time and see how my body reacted to it. This way I was able to pinpoint exactly what wasn't agreeing with me. (Nuts, chocolate, cheese...etc). There's a lot of information on the internet about elimination diets. It could be that something you've been eating all your life is now causing you problems due to your taper. You might also want to consider any supplements you might be taking. It might be worth talking to your doctor about.

Let me know what you think.

As for lunch ideas, I used to eat a lot of homemade soup when I was tapering. I have a slow cooker so I could control what went into it and the cooked veggies didn't bother my bowel. I kept my meals very basic. Roasted chicken and steamed veggies....etc.

Hope

Dear Hope,

Thank you for the reassuring update...music to my ears! Joy to you!

Warmly,

Carita :smitten:

My pleasure.  :smitten:

• 2 years later...

hi hope,

it's getting tougher and harder to endure for healing. i must be running out of patient and strength.

never been in a situation that i cannot control. please need your encouragement that everything will be alright.

trying to find every bit of strength that is left.

I know this feeling well, Pacific. There were days that were so dark for me. I was terrified I wouldn't heal...and on those days I thought there were only more of those dark days to come. That was a hard one for me. I was losing strength. I was a wreck. When I first experienced those days I let them get the better of me. I let them drain me of hope and strength. After a time I realized I couldn't keep letting that happen. I would start to ignore the voice in my head that told me to give up. I would actually say "stop" out loud. Doing this would give me a little strength back. It was a start. It was a tiny bit of fight in me that I didn't think I had left. Telling the voice to stop was a first step to taking as much control back into my life as I could. That was all I could muster...it was just one word but it was enough to keep me holding on some days.

Then those days got better. I didn't think it would happen but it did. It will for you. I know it's hard to see but you don't need to see it, you don't even need to believe it right now, pacific. All you have to do is tell that voice to "stop". Just for today. Even if you don't feel the strength you need, do it anyway...even if it's just going through the motions. Then one day, a day much sooner than you think...you're going to feel a little lighter...and soon all of this will be a distant memory.

You can do this. Your strength is still there. If it wasn't you wouldn't have written me. Your fight is still there. It's working for you. Have the faith in yourself that this is not going to stop you, that this is not going to define you. That this is not you. This is a small period of your life that sucks but it's not always going to be like this. You just have to get through today, Pacific. You just have to find enough strength for today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

You can do this. You will beat this. This is not stronger than you.

I know this is old, but I ran across it at just the right time. I needed this! Thank you Hope!

• 1 year later...