eli's story

[el...]

Eli, it's my first day here. I'm hanging on to my life, tapering off 2.5 MG per day of Xanax for 1 year. I didn't know if I could live through this, and this morning when I just read your post, it gave me hope, that I too maybe someday will get my life back. Thank you and I will read this every time I need some help. You are a miracle.

Hi Inahandbasket,

I don’t get back to Benzobuddies too much anymore but came to check on a story concerning something that someone emailed me about. I noticed that someone responded to my story, so here I am.

I have known many people who have kindled one or more times and still reached wellness. It makes it a bit harder, but it is certainly doable. I kindled myself many times with alcohol and got through wd just fine.

It’s not at all unusual to still be having difficult symptoms at 22 months and for new symptoms to show up almost out of nowhere.

There were many times in my own wd experience that I would begin to lose hope because of all the very basic things I could no longer do. My mental and emotional symptoms (fear, anxiety, depression, obsessive/intrusive thinking and so on) were extreme and my cognition had pretty much completely disappeared. I thought I was permanently brain dead, but I was eventually able to access my abilities. They really never left: I just couldn’t get to them.

It will get better. I know it’s scary, but it does get a whole lot better.

Ladybug1

My heart palps were almost constant for the first several months of my wd. It felt like my heart was skipping beats and fluttering nearly continuously. It took me quite some time to realize they would not kill me and that I didn’t need to freak out about them. At some point, they would leave for a month or two and then return for a few days to a week and then leave and return. They did finally depart probably around 18 months off or so. 

The best way to reach me is through my website at www.merryjoyousfree.com as Lapis2 said.

Just click on the Contact Us topline tab and you can email using the “caretaker” address. 

• 2 years later...

Is there any new information about Don in the last year? I still think about him and wonder how he is. I really hope he's okay.

According to Jennifer Leigh just last week, Don has recovered to the point where he is more or less fully functional, but is still battling fear on a daily basis.  That symptom just hasn't gone away for him yet.  He attributes his whole setback to listening to those binaural beats.

-Jeff

Is there any new information about Don in the last year? I still think about him and wonder how he is. I really hope he's okay.

According to Jennifer Leigh just last week, Don has recovered to the point where he is more or less fully functional, but is still battling fear on a daily basis.  That symptom just hasn't gone away for him yet.  He attributes his whole setback to listening to those binaural beats.

-Jeff

Hey, thanks, Jeff! It's great to hear that Don is doing much better. I hated to think of him having that kind of setback after all the work he had done, both for himself and for others. I'm sorry to hear about the lingering issue, but hopefully that, too, can go away like the other symptoms.

He's such a wonderful man.  I'll try to get updates a little more often.

-Jeff

Agreed. And thank you. He was obviously very public about his situation before, and I totally understand the desire to be more private. He has the right to that, as do we all.

• 11 months later...

Bump.

I just had to bump this.  A lot of us need this today.  This success story has one of my favorite quotes:

"As I close, I honestly believe that my story is one of the more extreme ones – with the decades of alcoholism, 13 years of clonazepam use, and three weeks of torture in a psych hospital. This is a doable journey by anyone really. There is nothing special about me. It just takes time. You have to hold on, and when you think you can’t hold on any longer, you have to hold on.

You may not “feel” hope through much of the journey, but you have hope. It is right there in the deep recesses of your very being. It is inside every one of us and constantly whispers to us. Don’t let the shouting of your ailing brain convince you that it’s not there.  It is there. It is speaking…constantly speaking truth and saying to hold on one more minute, one more hour, one more day…until you are one more healed man or woman. ..who then becomes a voice of hope for someone else to hear over the noise of their ailing brain.

Hold on. Just hold on. And you will heal. It’s a promise."

• 1 year later...