• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bm...]

• [Ho...]

• [No...]

• [er...]

I really hope that people reading this thread, who enjoy their daily cup of coffee/tea, eat a frozen pizza once in a while, and have a soft drink with that, do not get spooked by individual findings.

Listen to your body - it is your best friend, and it will tell you if your are hurting it.

I really hope that people reading this thread, who enjoy their daily cup of coffee/tea, eat a frozen pizza once in a while, and have a soft drink with that, do not get spooked by individual findings.

Listen to your body - it is your best friend, and it will tell you if your are hurting it.

I drink coffee. I don't find it revs up my symptoms as long as I stick to one cup a day. Even if I do have more than one my symptoms are only slightly revved. I think, as Noolie has said, it's about how you feel.

I can't WAIT to be able to drink coffee again.  >:(  Someone bought me some coffee and I open it and smell it a few times a week, but can't touch it, lol. Smells sooooo good. I envy those who can.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7070/coffeevf.jpg

Right now I'm so Fatigued that my eyes are closing and I could barely walk steps, I feel so weak I can barely walk, I do t understand what is going on with me! It's the same crap all the time! When I was 10 months off I thought I was getting energy back, I really hope it's just the alcohol because I have been miserable for a year with very little breaks, eyes are closing yet I can't fall asleep!

Bmw,

Is your level of extreme fatigue constantly the same or does it get MUCH worse in waves some days and sometimes it is not quite as debilitating but still bad?

Some days it's worse then other but it's always there, I never wake up and have energy where I can exercise or can run my business with energy, sometimes it's so bad like today where my eyes are closing and I'm so achy I can barely move.

If I do decide to exercise which is like never because I feel like a flu zombie then after exercising I have to get into bed because I can barely move, I feel like a shaking zombie, my eyes are closing as I'm typing this, when I was walking outside today I had to turn back because my legs felt unstable.

I can't WAIT to be able to drink coffee again.  >:(  Someone bought me some coffee and I open it and smell it a few times a week, but can't touch it, lol. Smells sooooo good. I envy those who can.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7070/coffeevf.jpg

I don't drink strong coffee like I used to. I either opt for a latte or a weak cup of coffee. I've tried decaf but....eww.  :sick:

I don't drink strong coffee like I used to. I either opt for a latte or a weak cup of coffee. I've tried decaf but....eww.  :sick:

Follger's makes a really decent tasting decaf (green package)  if you are into regular coffee. I have some of that, but here lately it even bothers me. It makes my nerve pain and stinging flare up. Decaf DOES contain caffeine, and apparently I'm very sensitive to it. I'm going to do some research tonight to try to find some that is 100% caffeine free. Any ideas?

I mix 1/2 decaf beans and 1/2 regular beans and grind it freshly each time.  Since I live in the Northwest, good decaf beans are available at a price.  I also drink 1/2 a mug rather than a full mug.  It does rev me up a little, but it's worth it because it helps my morning brain-fog.  I love coffee!

I wish i could at least drink tea, i used to drink about 10 cups per day... with sugar.

Bottled water only for me for the whole of the past year... i just know tea or coffee would make my anxiety come on, i just know it so i daren´t even think about it, even decaf tea is a no for me as that has some caffeine in it.

I guess it will be nice to enjoy these things again eventually.  :-\

Oscar

I had to give up caffeine completely for two years. Once the depression began to lift for me at around 14/15 months, I took a chance and resumed coffee (the real stuff). I have had coffee every morning since then. It does rev me up a bit, but it gives me an amazing mental and physical lift too. It very well may be the reason that the depression has never returned. I have a friend who has struggled with depression who has told me the same thing. Caffeine helps his depression. I have read some papers on it as well.

I thought I would never be able to drink coffee again, but I was pleasantly wrong about that.

eli   

Exactly!

There is no doubt in my mind that some people do have negative reactions to MSG, caffeine, alcohol, etc, but I also think that it is all too easy to blame a benzo wave on any of these when it is actually just........a benzo wave.

I have been pretty lucky in that none of these things seems to have an adverse effect on me. I have laid off of the caffeine to an extent lately because I have been having problems getting to sleep, but during the day it helps get my brain up to speed. Easy on the alcohol, easy on the caffeine, eat decent food, and try to get on with my life. If I notice problems I make adjustments.

I had an absolutely awesome day today. Actually the past 4 days have been really good. Is it because I haven't had any alcohol for a couple of weeks? Maybe. I am going out Saturday night and I might have a couple of beers. If it gives me any issues that will be it for awhile.

Im not arguing with you, FG. Ihaven't read much on anything even Ashton's work that states alcohol makes it worse, and Ashton even says its ok to drink a glass of wine a day, or whatever. It just seems like 90+ percent of people that drink, end up feeling bad. Reading those personal experiences is plenty enough to make me want to avoid it. I drank the small glass of wine months ago just to test the water. Didnt bother me a bit. But I feel even the non alcoholic beers a few weeks ago revved me up for 2-3 days. Of course it could have been coincidence, but im going to avoid it anyways, since I dont need it anyways.

My reply wasn't directed at you brother. I am genuinely curious if anyone has any links to info on this. There was a lot of stuff thrown around in this thread that just sounds to me like it is based on assumptions rather than personal experience or study data or something coming from the medical community.

Im not arguing with you, FG. Ihaven't read much on anything even Ashton's work that states alcohol makes it worse, and Ashton even says its ok to drink a glass of wine a day, or whatever. It just seems like 90+ percent of people that drink, end up feeling bad. Reading those personal experiences is plenty enough to make me want to avoid it. I drank the small glass of wine months ago just to test the water. Didnt bother me a bit. But I feel even the non alcoholic beers a few weeks ago revved me up for 2-3 days. Of course it could have been coincidence, but im going to avoid it anyways, since I dont need it anyways.

My reply wasn't directed at you brother. I am genuinely curious if anyone has any links to info on this. There was a lot of stuff thrown around in this thread that just sounds to me like it is based on assumptions rather than personal experience or study data or something coming from the medical community.

Oh I know you weren't.  :thumbsup: I just didnt want you to think I was posting behind you trying to say you were wrong. I've know a few people that could drink, but not many. I've certainly saw more people post negative results. But then again, I smoked some pot around 8-9 months ago (give or take) and it actually helped me a lot, but I've saw a lot of people post negative results on that as well.

The wikipedia article on benzo withdrawal has some evidence-based assertions on alcohol and its effects during benzo withdrawal: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

What struck me were that after slowly tapering off a benzo, people should avoid all cross tolerant drugs (benzos, ambiens, alcohol) for 4 months to 2 years, depending on personal biochemistry.  Also, even more telling was that alcohol use, even in moderate amounts (which I assume social drinking is included) is a significant predictor of benzo withdrawal success or failure. 

This was based on scientific studies done. 

I successfully weaned off klonopin in 2009 and resumed drinking socially, frequently binge drinking and from my personal experience, the after-effects were very different than pre-benzo use.  At first i would have insomnia a few days after, but as the drinking went on, symptoms seemed to increase and appear like anxiety, muscle tremors.  Very similar to the symptoms of acute benzo withdrawal.  It was clear that my gaba receptors were'nt completely healed. 

After drinking and abusing my body my anxiety, insomnia and other horrible symptoms led me back to benzos, and I'm currently on my second taper which sucks, to say the least.  However, I learned my lesson the hard way. 

I think a key element is to figure out WHY an individual drinks and try to lick the problem there.  Is it because they physically crave the alcohol, is it because it's hard to socialize and have fun without it?  is it out of boredom?    Of course, abstinance during benzo withdrawal is the best approach, but it's easy to just say "stop drinking" but harder to actually do it.  One thing I realized is that people who don't necessarily fit into the classic daily drinking alcoholic category can still have a drinking problem without knowing it.  Being in benzo w/d makes you feel the consequences.  A persons age, occupation, socializing and group of friends is their lifestyle, and this can determine whether or not a person drinks.  For example, for myself, being a single male, a lot of the social activities I partake in include the option of drinking.  When everyone else is out having a good time and some drinks, it's not easy to lay off.  When you go on a date, sometimes the initial meet is over drinks.  takes a lot of discipline and will power to say no.  Ultimately, I've had to just avoid certain places and people where not drinking would be pointless (ie: hey let's go to some bar and hang out)  It's a sacrifice you have to make. 

I'm assuming that BMW is a social drinker (by his own admission) and this is dangerous during withdrawal, but also requires some sacrificing if the goal is to heal and heal as fast as possible.  Happy hours and getting sloshed at the holiday parties will have to take a back seat for a while.  Again, easier for some than others.  A married person with kids will probably find it less tempting b/c of responisibilities than a  person who's single with less responsibiliites. 

Exactly, socially it is the most difficult, I never drink unless I'm in a social setting which it's difficult not to. If it means the physical symptoms will stop then I will never touch it again, I need the fatigue and shaking to go away!

BMW-

First off, you've been off benzos for a while,and best luck and wishes to stay benzo free and ride out these symptoms.  Each time I drank after my taper i was slamming my gaba receptors and the resulting alcohol withdrawals over and over again made my condition worse and overall I didn't feel too good. 

I read in "benzo blues" something really profound.  the goal shouldn't be just to get off a benzo, just as important is to develop the internal ability to manage the anxiety or whatever psychological symptom it was prescribed for.  So in other words, long term healing.  In our situation, that would include abstinence from alcohol because you've already experienced what the most recent binge could do to your CNS and overall well-being.  Whenever I feel bad symptoms, try to remember the last time you actually felt really good (less anxiety, sleeping pretty well).  If you've been drinking every week, you may not have felt "good' in while.  But this sometimes helps calm me down.  Your system was rocked by a 4 day bender and it'll probably take time to get equilibrium back.  Honestly, I agree with the common philosophy of the forums--avoidance of triggers such as alcohol, caffeine, msg, sugar.  Relaxation, unprocessed foods, and trying to keep good sleep hygiene will get you to where you want to be.  It's the holidays so you probably have a lot of stuff going on, but placing the least amount of physical and emotional stress on your system would likely make your symptoms better.  Good luck  -Sleepprob 

Haven't had a drink in 4 days and I woke up today with the same symptoms once again: Extreme eye closing fatigue, shaking, achy, insomnia, toss and turn all night, blurry vision, same thing over and over each day the same.

Dont know about anyone else but alcohol was the hardest thing for me to give up during withdrawals.but I haven't touched any for a little over 4 months except for the occasional sip off someone else's beer.(I love the taste).Christmas was the worst time to not drink.nearly everyone had something,even my mom who never drinks.I hope the best for you BMW and wish you luck.and if you enjoy it as much as I do it's going to be tough to quit for a while but it's manageable.try dinking some tea instead.helped me heaps.

Dont know about anyone else but alcohol was the hardest thing for me to give up during withdrawals.but I haven't touched any for a little over 4 months except for the occasional sip off someone else's beer.(I love the taste).Christmas was the worst time to not drink.nearly everyone had something,even my mom who never drinks.I hope the best for you BMW and wish you luck.and if you enjoy it as much as I do it's going to be tough to quit for a while but it's manageable.try dinking some tea instead.helped me heaps.

You might try some non alcoholic if you are just into the taste. I think it revved me up for a few days a few weeks ago but not totally sure. It never bothered me any other time in withdrawal. They do make a 100% non alcoholic beer, but I forget the name of it.

Haven't had a drink in 4 days and I woke up today with the same symptoms once again: Extreme eye closing fatigue, shaking, achy, insomnia, toss and turn all night, blurry vision, same thing over and over each day the same.

?????

BMW...Yes, it does take that long to heal and in many cases much longer.

Being off alcohol for 4 days is nothing. You need to start thinking of staying off of things like alcohol, caffeine, MSG and supplements for, not days, not weeks, not months, but years.

You would be a lot better off if you started listening to Erika.