Alcohol

[bm...]

I feel like I'm in acute w/d again, does alcohol put your GABA receptors back in to a bad state? My skin is on fire, body is shaking, trembling, blurry vision, heart racing, head is throbbing, pressure behind my eyes, I'm in Hell again!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bm...]

• [Ho...]

• [No...]

• [er...]

Many people post negative results after using alcohol in benzo withdrawal, or even after they thought they were healed.

How much did you drink, for how long?

2 weeks ago I went crazy and ever since I feel like I'm in acute w/d again, my skin is on fire, heart racing, blurry blurry vision, pain behind eyes, head pressure, body is burned out, achy, extreme fatigue, shaking, intense tingling feeling.

BMW,

I think perhaps now it would be a good idea to refrain from alcohol now that you know exactly how you react to it. At this point you just have to wait and let your system recover. It will settle down but it's hard to tell how long.  Yes, alcohol does affect the same receptors as benzos.  If this was a one time experience then you should feel some relief soon.

pianogirl

I have been having a few drinks on a regular basis and also 2 weeks ago I went overboard, these symptoms are scaring me because I'm not getting any relief and have the same symptoms on a daily Basis :( hopefully its just the alcohol that's disrupting healing of the GABA receptors. I'm very down about these repatative horrible symptoms

Benzos and alcohol are almost the same as far as your GABA receptors are concerned.  Stay away from the drink until you are truly healed, and only then you should keep it under control.

Take some dextromethorphan.  It won't help a lot, but it will keep your brain cells from dying due to excitotoxicity.  You should be okay within 5 days but could have lingering symptoms if you are not healed from benzo w/d.  Use a very small dose of benzo if you have severe symptoms, or go to the ER.  Tremors and hallucinations would be a warning sign that you need help.

Be strong.  Watch some bad movies and eat, and if you can exercise that will help.

I got drunk for 3 days when I first got out of detox. Big mistake. Your temporarily numb,but then the WD comes back with a vengence. Avoid Alchohol.

Benzos and alcohol are almost the same as far as your GABA receptors are concerned.  Stay away from the drink until you are truly healed, and only then you should keep it under control.

Take some dextromethorphan.  It won't help a lot, but it will keep your brain cells from dying due to excitotoxicity.  You should be okay within 5 days but could have lingering symptoms if you are not healed from benzo w/d.  Use a very small dose of benzo if you have severe symptoms, or go to the ER.  Tremors and hallucinations would be a warning sign that you need help.

Be strong.  Watch some bad movies and eat, and if you can exercise that will help.

This is horrible advice and shouldn't be followed by ANYONE. Adding new medicines to the mix is risky, and taking more benzos after being off for a year is extremely dangerous advice.

BMW

Profesor Pharmacy I visit due my w/d year ago , told me ,,,,,TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY FORM OF DRUGS OR BOOZE  3 to 5 years after quit ,,,,,.

17 . months off , I still cannot imagine drink coffe or tea , not to get booze .

Erika

I feel like I'm in acute w/d again, does alcohol put your GABA receptors back in to a bad state?

YES no doubt about it..i had a seizure from just one drink..

alcohol,morphine,benzo is all the same...gaba drugs you should AVOIDE for all cost in wd for a LONG LONG time

BMW

Profesor Pharmacy I visit due my w/d year ago , told me ,,,,,TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM ANY FORM OF DRUGS OR BOOZE  3 to 5 years after quit ,,,,,.

17 . months off , I still cannot imagine drink coffe or tea , not to get booze .

Erika

just the same whit me...exatcly the same

Hi guys, today my symptoms are very dizzy, shakiness, unsteady dizziness, I was just in cvs and everything seemed to be a blurr, I keep dropping stuff and its really awkward. Had coffee this morning maybe it made it worse. You guys consider coffee to be a drug?

Coffee does not prevent healing, but indeed caffein exaggerates anxiety, stress, insomnia....

A good thing would to be staying away from alcohol and coffee while still in withdrawal   

Have you never read before that alcohol can set you back? It's all over the forum, many many threads.

Seems most people report that alcohol sets them back around a month before it gets better but I've saw a few that it took longer.

Crap, so I keep setting myself back!? It's been 1 full day since I had alcohol, current symptoms: Disorientation, Shaking, unsteady, stumbling, blurry blurry vision, spots when looking at bright light, stuttering, skin burning, head pressure more on the left, jelly legs, pressure behind eyes, back of the neck, insomnia, tossing and turning and painful sleep from achy flu like body, social phobia, dizziness when out in public, etc.

bmwzw-

I have had alcohol throughout withdrawl and it definitely didnt help me at all.... really bad hangover, increased anxiety, bad shakiness however I felt fine 2-3 days later and continued on tapering  Jess

I've been off for a year and this has been non stop 24/7, I thought I was getting better but 2 weeks ago I drank a ton for 4 days straight and then been drinking a little socially every other night 1-2 drinks.

I've been off for a year and this has been non stop 24/7, I thought I was getting better but 2 weeks ago I drank a ton for 4 days straight and then been drinking a little socially every other night 1-2 drinks.

I don't know if you have been drinking alcohol throughout your withdrawal or not, but if it were me and I was still have severe symptoms, I would not drink at all for quite a while to see if that is the reason for the continuing symptoms.

I have been drinking thoughout w/d, some weeks a drink and some weeks more, thought my GABA receptors would heal regardless of a drink or not. I feel horrible and not sure how long I will be in agony for but right now my symptoms are 24/7 and I'm miserable.

If I were you, I'd actually start reading the other threads on the forum besides your own so you might know what to avoid to prevent this in the future.

If I were you, I'd actually start reading the other threads on the forum besides your own so you might know what to avoid to prevent this in the future.

Well stated Hope-Fiend