Important Survey - Please Participate ×

tapering off klonopin

[sw...]

In Narcotics Anonymous, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. I know that detoxification can be rough, but the only way you will get through this is by hanging out with the winners, and doing what works. I agree with other folks who are saying about following Colin's schedule. You have been on benzos for 18 years. Cut yourself some slack, and follow a schedule that you can manage. Taking the pills the same time every day on a schedule works. It empowers you to manage your own health. It makes the taper manageable, so you can see a light in the darkness. Perhaps, you could find a doctor who could support you in your schedule. I showed my psychiatrist the schedule that Colin developed and it thought it was a slow taper, but was very supportive and encouraged me in my taper.

Now I am benzo free and shrink free.....So freedom is possible with this gig.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [Be...]

• [tr...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin has some excellent points on taking control.  Right now it appears your doctor  may not script more and may not even allow refills of what has been scripted. 

As others have said, you need to figure out what you can do to get back in control.  You have to figure out a schedule of doses, get your doctor to back it, and stick with it. 

As a worse case scenario, you have to figure out how to taper with what pills you currently have on hand and assume you aren't going to get more.  That is a hard one as I have been there and done that and failed. 

Good luck. 

Now I am benzo free and shrink free.....So freedom is possible with this gig.

And it feels so good to be free!  What ever will those shrinks do without us.  :laugh:

Colin has some excellent points on taking control.  Right now it appears your doctor  may not script more and may not even allow refills of what has been scripted.

I don't think this is quite the situation yet, but this is the danger. Sweetpea, take control know - you can do this!

As others have said, you need to figure out what you can do to get back in control.  You have to figure out a schedule of doses, get your doctor to back it, and stick with it. 

As a worse case scenario, you have to figure out how to taper with what pills you currently have on hand and assume you aren't going to get more.  That is a hard one as I have been there and done that and failed. 

Sweetpea, this is situation that must be avoided. It is easily avoided by sticking to set doses, and not varying according to mood or suffering a bad day. Keep your dosing steady and regular.

Agree Colin, these are the dangers and these need to be avoided. 

If the doc this morning said you are to only take 1 1/2 pills then he might allow refills based on that, not based on what was on the original script. 

Docs can rescind refills or change what dates the refills are allowed.  I have been down that path and it isn't fun.  It is behind my reason why I need to get off this stuff cause I don't want to go through a situation like this again.  Right now my doc trusts me but that can change. 

colin what about  a whole pill in the morning 1/2 pill in the afternoon and a whole pill at bedtime,,,,,,since im so into xanax withdrawal maybe hole pills would help morre yes i would discuss this with my dr.....how long if i go on whole pills till dizzinees and drugginess from it would go away..i must do something right for i feel like death let me know what u think

Hi sweetpea,

I hope you are feeling better. I'm going to go out on a limb here. If you continue to talk to your doctors when you are so stressed out,they may turn their back on you, You do not want this to happen. That is what alot of doctors do around here. You need to seem in control when you talk to them.You need to let someone you trust read what you write here, and let them help you to understand what is being said back to you. You can not carry this burden alone. If your husband isn't that person, you need to find someone who will not judge you. You need help with this, you don't seem to be able to do it alone. And you should'nt have to .That is what our family and true friends are for. Please , please listen to what is being said to you. They are giving you the answers, you seek. :smitten: Please take care Kel

colin what about  a whole pill in the morning 1/2 pill in the afternoon and a whole pill at bedtime

SP,

It's best if your doses are spread out more evenly. I suggest you do it the way Colin is suggesting.  ;)

Sweetpea, in your shoes, this is what I would do (it also fits with your original regimen).

Split your daily dose into three separate smaller doses. Since you are now taking 2.5 tablets per day, I suggest taking three-quarters of a pill first thing in the morning; three quarters of a pill in the middle of your day; and one whole pill just before going to bed. This is a total of 2.5 pills.

Hi sweetpea...just checking in how you are doing.

I was curious, do you have a pill box that will help you organize your meds for the week? I saw that mentioned, but can;t find your answer anywhere..unless I am blind right now, which I wouldnt count that out too! haha

Stay strong SP..and let me know if you have that pill box

im not understanding how colin is saying split my pills an show far apart to take them im asuuming every 8 hours?/ I think the way i used to do it if i can whole in the am like i mentioned would be easiest for me but what do i know i do know me and my hubby and huge fight last night,an i hav eto get it together.

im not understanding how colin is saying split my pills an show far apart to take them im asuuming every 8 hours?/ I think the way i used to do it if i can whole in the am like i mentioned would be easiest for me but what do i know i do know me and my hubby and huge fight last night,an i hav eto get it together.

It doesn't have to be exactly eight hours apart. Take one dose first thing in the morning, one dose the last thing at night, and one dose in the middle of those, whatever time that may be.

It's best if you make each of the doses as equal as you can.

I"m sorry about your fight with hubby.  :(

how should i cut the pills..why do u think i feeel so nausated and shakey and bad week the last few days i mean worse than usual

also this morning lots of confusion dizziness and nauesa heart rate is high and my head is burning  what wwould cause this?I know the last 2 days i have only had 2 pills of klonopin instead of 2 1/2 would that do it? Im going to lose my hubby because i can barely walk or function,Could i be having severe benzo withdrawal and should maybe take it slower on the klonopin taper?

Could i be having severe benzo withdrawal and should maybe take it slower on the klonopin taper?

SP, you are not even supposed to be tapering the klon yet. We've told you this. you went from 3 pills to 2.5 pills to 2 pills in just a few days. Of course this is too fast. You were supposed to stabilize on the 3 klon pills when you finished your xanax, and you haven't done that.

You have cutting your pills. You know how to do this. 

You've obviously been halving them, as you are taking half pills. Just cut them in quarters. Take a half pill plus a quarter pill in the morning, take a half pill plus a quarter pill in the middle of your day, and take a whole pill at night before bed. That's it.  :)

yes for the last 2 days i had to miss a 1/2 a pill because my pahrmissit told me i might ahve got too much drug in my ststem im so ill an im wonderign if i have a kidney infection my blood pressure is hightg and my head is burning im going to see a reg dr in an hour if i can drive

SP, you must get this together or else your in for a rougher ride then you need to be.

You HAVE to start taking your pills on a schedule, not when your anxious, or having a tough time. Take them at the SAME time every single day, the same amount. Take 3/4 of a pill first thing in the morning, 3/4 in the middle of the day and 1 full pill at bedtime.

Get a pill box and put your pills in there.

Try to exercise, cut out caffeine from your diet, do relaxation cds, eat well, deep breathing etc. Do something everyday.

You CAN do this but you have to get it together, believe me I know it's hard but it's doable for all of us. Calm down a little, practice some anxiety relieving techniques. Please please try to calm down. What your experiencing is completely normal. You must believe us on this.

Amanda

oh heck i have already messed up because i cant think i ttook a whole klonopin at 6 am and i just went to teh store and i got there was so confused i almost dfint make it home i came in and took a 1/2 klonopin because im starting to have that depresalazation like my mind is leaving me just like i had when i stopped xanax cold turkey last year and ended up in ths hospital i did try cutting my pill i got it in half but then when i tried to cut it again it crushed in pieces so i figured i would take a whole,,, that is how i orginally ttook them maybe my blood stream need to adjust to that amount since i had only been putting a half in at every 4 hours i dont know.im trying to do as u say but im so shakey and screws  up.i ned to try to go outside and do something im having anervous breakdown its just like before and i so need to fight this and all this medicine cahnges i know is not good

Ok so you took a whole at 6:00 am and then another 1/2.  You are taking it too soon.  You could have taken a 1/2 at 2:00 and then a whole at bedtime.

This is why you do not feel well.  You are not stabilizing your doses.   That will work but you can not go every 4 hours if you have taken a whole pill.  You need to understand this.  You will continue to feel awful until we can stabilize you.  You need to do this!  Do you understand? You need to see the importance to this. 

mal

oh great so i screwed up again.My legs are so week.so every 8 hours right ok another question since my body was used to only 1/2 ever 4 hour and then i went back ou to whole thats like my body has to adjust to the more pill the whole pill right.it was used to getting less medication and now im doing whole how long will it take for me to get used to iot,,will it cayse like rebound anxiety to all of a sudden to be getting more med at one time? and will klonopinhelp with the depersonalzation thing

oh great so i screwed up again.My legs are so week.so every 8 hours right ok another question since my body was used to only 1/2 ever 4 hour and then i went back ou to whole thats like my body has to adjust to the more pill the whole pill right.it was used to getting less medication and now im doing whole how long will it take for me to get used to iot,,will it cayse like rebound anxiety to all of a sudden to be getting more med at one time? and will klonopinhelp with the depersonalzation thing

well none of it is going to help until you get on a schedule and STICK TO IT. don't even think about anything else right now besides sticking to your schedule SP. thats all.

SP forget all the questions  number one priority is to stabilize your meds and doses.  Everything you are feeling again are withdrawls. They will not kill you.  They are just side effects.  Once you stabilize we are hoping that they will subside a bit.

You need to get some inner strength to get through this.  We are here to help you.  You are not alone but you need to start this now!!

So now do not take a pill until bedtime.

mal

SP, you CAN cut your klon pills in quarters. I did it for 4 months. One may crumble now and then, just cut another one. If they are not completely even, that's ok. Just do it.

You are going to have to do this eventually anyway, as you begin your taper, as you will have to reduce by a quarter pill at a time. Get a pill cutter at the drug store.

I suggest you do as Colin suggested.

three quarters of a pill in the morning, three quarters of a pill in the middle of the day, and 1 whole pill at night. Do this, and stick to it like glue. Please.

SP Please listen to Linda and Colin.  That is a great schedule and they will be assisting you with your taper.  Just please remember to start it today!!! They want you to 3/4 am, 3/4,mid afternoon and 1 pill at bedtime.  This should absolutely stabalize you but you need to stick to this schedule no matter what.  Be Strong!!  We are all here to assist you but only you can make these doses work!

mal

i feel like i have been overdosed could i have klonopin built up in my body im so week and drugged out feeling  please those of you that have gone off klonopin how did u do your cuts....and honestly im having more annxiety now then before whats up with that i now i ask alot of questions but whats withthe weekness and shakiness

SP just do your cuts as Eljay and Colin have stated.  They know what they are talking about.  Don't worry about others and how they cut just listen to them.

You are having withdrawls you are not overdosed.  Please just focus on you and your doses. That is what is so important right now. 

mal

[c1...]