Important Survey - Please Participate ×

tapering off klonopin

[sw...]

TS It was going good till night before last and i started feeling like heck..while in the hospitaal dr also put me on depokote 1000 mg which was too high so he dropped it to 750 mg then 500mg then i wnet down to 250mg.(it seemed to make me nauseateda and wierd he had me stop it) said it was for a mood stabilizer,Anyways now im having alll these symtomps,Im scared of the ativan and i think its making me sick so maybe im not taking it as i was 1 mg 3 times aday..he had me try to cut it,but im also having VERY rapid heart rate headaches wierd taste and lossng bladder control and i feel like im losing my mind,,,so what do u think happened to me Like i said i was ok untill night before last and i woke up at 12 30 anad couldnt sleep and i have been out of it since..Im going to try to go out tonight but im afraid im gonna pee myself in front of people this is awful im only 48 and Never had that problem before..U asked i told you

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [sw...]

• [Be...]

• [tr...]

• [el...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Im wondering if the dr should have tapered me off the klonopin (he put me on ativan) maybe im having withdrawls from stopping the klonopin the way he did do u think and what can i do about it

Here's what I think:  You are in tolerance with your drugs.  They have stopped working for you, I went through the same thing but I was on more.  Everyone one of the symptoms you have mentioned is withdrawal (wd) and the only way to make them go away for good is to get off the drugs.  You've tapered before so you know what it's going to take to get to the end.  

The same advice you've been given before is still true.  You have to schedule your meds and not take them when you feel like it, and you have to cut every 10-14 days.  The sooner you start on a steady routine the sooner you'll be off.  

You said your husband gave you 2 months to get off but you didn't explain what he meant by that, is that the time you are giving yourself to get off?  

im afraid to take it i need something for anxiety so bad and im sure im withdrawing from the klonopin i was on it since april wouldnt the ativan take its place..

The amount of ativan they put you on equals the amount of klon you stopped. So that should be fine.

This is the info that eljay gave you today.  Please read your post, they have some good information in them.  :)

i read the posts dont kknow how i missed it No my hubby gave me 2 months to get It together or our marriage is over,,Im sorry to be personal but even the feel of im losing bladder control is withdrawal? And how can i get my heart rate to go down/ any ideas.im so afraid of taking the ativan because i feel its making me sick but i know i cant stop it

i read the posts dont kknow how i missed it No my hubby gave me 2 months to get It together or our marriage is over,,Im sorry to be personal but even the feel of im losing bladder control is withdrawal? And how can i get my heart rate to go down/ any ideas.im so afraid of taking the ativan because i feel its making me sick but i know i cant stop it

I'm sorry your husband gave you such and ultimatum, especially since you can't control of wd symptoms.  Yes, the feeling of losing bladder control and running the bathroom every few minutes ( or it seems like it) is a very, very common wd symptoms.

Deep breathing and trying not to stress is one way of getting the heart rate down, but again, that's a wd symptom and nothing is really wrong with you.  If there was it would have been found in the hospital.

This dr today did not check my heart nor did they in the mental hospital,Im scheduled for a stress test tommorow just hoping i can do it,,,will i lose bladder control that would be awful and i swear i keep smeeling things real strong is that normal

Hi sweetpea!

I'm so glad you are back. I was trully worried about you. In the beginning of your returning posts, you sounded like you were feeling so much better. As time goes on you seem to be worse. Maybe something in your home situation is a trigger of stress for you. It's probably not my place too say, but I'm going to anyways. You need to figure out what it is. You can not work on everything at the same time. It is obviously way to much to deal with. Don't let go of how good you felt last week. You need to heal yourself before you can heal the other problems in your life. Take care of yourself first. The rest will come. You can not do this for your husband. He's either beside you or not. Maybe he's just looking for some effort from you. Whatever the case, heal yourself. Dig down deep and find what you need to , to pull through this. We are here for you. Be strong sweetpea. Please listen and take the advice given to you this time. Getting off this med is what you need to do. Kel :thumbsup:

Hi All,well I had my stress test on my heart done and its not good.i guess when my heart is stresssed there is a small portion that is not getting adaguate blood flow to it so i must learnt o get my stress under control.The dr put me on a beta blocjer to bring down my heart rate and it makes me feel awful so he sais try a half instead of a whole this morning i only toook a 1/4 of it.I seem to do fair when im not alone but when alone i freak,And my counsler told me she believes i need long tern in hopstalazion.And she is putting words in my mouth of things i never said and then she goes you have got so bad you dont even know what you have said.My ativan is not helping me and im trying the deep breathing,but im so ill feeling,i will not go long tern hospilazation i woould never see my dad again he would die while i was in there,i need to get out of the house but afraid to drive and its too hott for me to try and walk.do any of you ever feel like your skin or head is burning?

Hi All,well I had my stress test on my heart done and its not good.i guess when my heart is stresssed there is a small portion that is not getting adaguate blood flow to it so i must learnt o get my stress under control.The dr put me on a beta blocjer to bring down my heart rate and it makes me feel awful so he sais try a half instead of a whole this morning i only toook a 1/4 of it.I seem to do fair when im not alone but when alone i freak,And my counsler told me she believes i need long tern in hopstalazion.And she is putting words in my mouth of things i never said and then she goes you have got so bad you dont even know what you have said.My ativan is not helping me and im trying the deep breathing,but im so ill feeling,i will not go long tern hospilazation i woould never see my dad again he would die while i was in there,i need to get out of the house but afraid to drive and its too hott for me to try and walk.do any of you ever feel like your skin or head is burning?

Hi sweetpea,

Sorry you are still not feeling well. What has been so stressful in your life? Your doctor is right by suggesting you try to control your stress, try meditation or anything that will distract you from over analyzing everything. I have heard others having feelings of skin burning, I have had some minor feelings like that usually on the bottom of my legs but it is tolerable, have not experienced it on my head. Take care!

T2 :smitten:

Hi All,well I had my stress test on my heart done and its not good.i guess when my heart is stresssed there is a small portion that is not getting adaguate blood flow to it so i must learnt o get my stress under control.The dr put me on a beta blocjer to bring down my heart rate and it makes me feel awful so he sais try a half instead of a whole this morning i only toook a 1/4 of it.I seem to do fair when im not alone but when alone i freak,

Hello, sweetpea.  :smitten:

I'm glad the doctor's finally found out about that problem with your heart and that the medication you are on is helping.  Since you do okay when you are not alone, you know that it is your own mind and thoughts that are leading to this feeling of freaking out when you are alone.  Has you and your counselor discussed ways you can learn to calm yourself?  It will make a huge difference in how you feel when you are able to better handle stress, including the stress you feel when you are alone. 

Does anyone know if a CBC with differential blood count and basic metabolic panel would show if my kidneys and liver are ok,,im losing it all im shaking like carazy and my chest is burning,,,,and what are hyperexpanded lungs thats what it says about my chest exrays.....and my heart med isnt helpng me nor is the ativan  i need some kind of release

Why wont my ativan work i took one almost 6 hours ago and i have been so keyed up and i feel like electriacl zaps in me im so scared my counsler wants to put me away in mental hospital for long term this is winning me i am going to make my heart have a tttack i have tried to deep breath today and walk and im a wreck should the ativan help some while its in me its been almost 6 hours since i had one

i hope i didnt mess up i took my 3rd ativan already its calming my body but i feel funny in the head what could this be,,,i will be suffering i bet thru the night because i cant have no more ativan,,,,its making my head feel so wierd maybe cause i have been so full of anxiety today,i think im dying

You need to calm yourself, sweetpea.  You are making yourself sick.  You can't be taking an ativan when you feel like it or you will take too much.  Please stay on a schedule.  Don't take any more until your next scheduled dose - that's tomorrow morning, right?

yes,im messed up on my schedule cause i take one at 4 when i get up with hubby and they are only lasting 6 hours im a wreck im so sorry im trying to stay strong

sweetpea,

Right now, your fearful thoughts are making your symptoms worse. Your fear is releasing more adrenaline and stress hormones into your body, sweety, so like Beeper said, do the best you can do to calm down. Stop thinking that you are about to die. You are not. You are going to be ok. I wanted to let you know that I looked up on the internet what hyperexpanded lungs mean. One site said it just means you can take a very deep breath and have a lot of air in your chest. Another site said that it means you hold a very large amount of air in your lungs. I didn't read anything that said it was bad or serious. Try doing this breathing technique 2-3 times right now: Take in a deep breath thru your nose for 4 seconds, hold it for a count of 7, then let the air out thru your mouth very slowly to 8 counts. You only need to do this a few times and it can help your breathing get stabilized. I will write you more, but wanted you to know this and try it while I saw that you were still on line. Hang in there!

Lori

sweetpea,

Yes, a CBC with differential blood count and basic metabolic panel would show if there was anything not right with your kidneys and liver. If this will ease your mind, get the bloodwork done. I had this bloodwork done about 2 weeks ago because I was urinating so much and having pain in my flank (kidney) area. It came back normal, so I am not worried now when I get this pain and urinate often.

Lori

sweetpea,

I am sensing that you are getting a lot of anxiety from your counselor telling you that she thinks you need to have some long term hospitalization. That would make me anxious as well. But, you don't have to do what she says. It is your choice to be or not to be hospitalized. They are not going to come and take you away against your will. So, stop even thinking about that right now. You have got to get your mind on something positive or atleast distracted. Your thoughts are like a record player right now, but you are the only one who can turn them off. Choose to do so. Try not to think about later tonight...stick with the here and now. You can do this. This will pass and like Beeper said, stick to your schedule dose with the ativan. I am praying for you!

Lori  :smitten:

Thanks Lori Lee,I had those blood works done on aug 7 before i went into the hospital so unless the medicine i have been on since then hurt me i should be ok,,thank u for the words,its so hard right now i feel like i have buggs crawlin in my tummy and i feel like im losing my thoughts like my mind is shutting down and i have such a time sleeping,,,,when i was in the hospital dr gave me trazodone to take but im scared of it i read if you heart problems u might not should take it,my heart problem is that when it is stressed there is a small portion of it that the blood does not flow to good,Im just so afraid my mind is leaving me and i dont know how to dealwith that or fight it

sweetpea,

Your mind is not going to leave you. You are just a little messed up from the medication. You are taking 1/4 of a new medication, the beta blocker, and you took your ativan out of schedule (from what I am understanding), and if you take the trazadone, you might sleep, but then again, you might have more side effects. You are not going crazy...I know it can feel like it, but that is part of what is so bad about the benzo drugs. Ride this one out as calmly as you possibly can. Get back on your normal schedule for your ativan. Tomorrow is a new day. You said that you don't know how to fight this, just surrender to it. Know that you are experiencing symptoms related to your medication and when you truly believe that, you won't cause the symptoms and things you are feeling to be worse. If you had that bloodwork done less than a month ago, you are ok. I have spent my time getting tests done because I was worried and I am sure that nothing has changed with your CBC/metabolic panel in that short of a time span. The symptoms you are describing sound related to benzos, so rest easy knowing that. The dr. said that your heart condition is due to stress, so don't get stressed out. Did he said that it was anything serious?? If not, do the breathing techniques and do anything to get your mind off of the things you are feeling in your body. I could tell you a list of things right now that I have going on in my body, but I am not going to focus on them. I know they won't kill me and they are just withdrawal symptoms. You will get better, sweetpea. Try to get some sleep.....

Lori  :smitten:

The new heart med its a beta blocker is making my heart rate go to low and i refuse to go to ER here because of last week when i went and the dr was so mean to me,,,,im having crawly electric like shocks going thru my middle of my body and im dizzy and all messed up i cant let this win they will put me away for ever could it be anxiety amking me feel this way inside my waist area and up my back im scared

Wow about 15 min after taking my ativan my blood pressure dropped from 130/84 to 119/79 how normal is that my beta blocker didnt drop it that fast and for some reason im felling extremeley dizzy and very unclear thinking,,,what could be gong on?My heartrate only dropped 1 point after the ativan so far but with the beta blocker who knows it may drop way low,,,still scared and all alone

Sweetpea  :smitten:

Both the ativan and your anxiety about how you feel can cause the symptoms you describe so I can't really answer your question.  The important things to remember is these are only feelings/sensations and they will not harm you.  Things like that came and went the whole time I was tapering.  I finally found that I could keep myself from feeling worse by telling myself that they were only withdrawal symptoms and would go away.  I also tried to keep my mind occupied so I didnt pay too much attention to them.  They always went away.  Keep practicing relaxation, SP.  :therethere:

I see that you just posted about your heart rate dropping after you took your ativan.  I wish I had a heart rate of 119/79. Mine's more like 145/90.  I'm sure there are many reasons our heartrate changes throughout the day and doubt that the ativan had anything to do with it.  It still is a very good rate so don't worry about it.  If you are dizzy, sit down and put your head between your knees until you stop feeling that way and don't stand up too fast.

I noticed something and wondering if this is true in all cases seems like when my blood pressure is higher then my pulse is low and when blood ppressure is lower than my pulse is higher  why is this,,,i would think it would be blood pressure high pulse high and so forth just thinking

[27...]