Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

NAD+ Iontophoresis For Benzo Detox (A Journal)

[Be...]

Well I thought that was pretty detailed…LOL! And I am so grateful  :).

I love the “breaking out in song” it makes it fun and relatable….I love music too :thumbsup:

I will admit, I was really hoping that this would be easier for you and not so “acute”, with that said, I do know with my own c/t after about a 3 month period on Zanax the acute for about 3 days was off the charts and I thought I was going nuts, so I went to the hospital.  So this doesn’t sound as bad….still “sounds scary” I won’t lie, but I think I could dig deep and do it. 

Hopefully this next round of NAD+ Will really help you turn the corner and get some relief/healing.  Thank you for keeping us posted, especially when you aren’t feeling well.

:mybuddy::yippee::therethere:

Marie

I feel I have to point out the downside to doing this. NFN said it was pretty bad, but didn't elaborate. Shamo described it as difficult, the first week being the worst, with improvements beginning in the second week. JLeDi had gone through nearly two years of really bad acute and post acute, after a c/t, before reinstating, and tapering again. He expected to have a repeat of those symptoms, he had symptoms, but not nearly as brutal. He, too, said things really began improving in week two. Fighterk actually went off the equivalent of the same amount of diazepam as I did, 2.75 mg. She said the first two weeks were the hardest, things improved by week three. I'm in week two. JLeDi wasn't even comfortable recommending NAD+ initially. He was a bit skeptical, expected a repeat of his previous c/t, he had few bad w/d symptoms during treatment, but felt more after. That is true for me. I was eating pierogies during Easter week!  ::)  It was only after two weeks, when he began recovering, that he felt it worked, and could say so. I wanted anybody considering NAD+, to get the ugly along with the good. And the ugly, is really ugly for the first two weeks.

I had these songs popping out in my head, so I thought I'd add them to lighten things up. To the uninitiated, it can look daunting and scary, because it is. I had hoped for something a little easier, but I knew I'd experience acute. I didn't think acute would be, well, so acute. Didn't think I'd experience stuff that I rarely. rarely, had during tapering. NFN makes that quite clear, you will still have to go through acute and post acute. It will be intense, but it does get better as the weeks and month go by. That's what I'm hanging on to. NFN did say she knew two people who didn't respond as well, but they were on multiple meds they were trying to get off of, which may have been a factor. Some meds can interfere with NAD+. NFN's triptan for migraines and Shamo's high dose of pregabalin did. NFN stopped hers, Shamo had to cut his in half. He used follow-up NAD+ to jump off the remainder. I take 300 mg gabapentin, but many give that to those getting NAD+ for benzos, Dr Ken Starr being one of them. Basically meds that affect the brain, or act in the brain. NFN said people need to discuss any meds with doctors. And while NFN didn't go to Ken Starr, she stated he is highly regarded, and probably the most knowledgeable regarding NAD+ detox for benzos.

I started more treatment today. Symptoms are less intense. There's around >0.5 mg diazepam, by next Thursday it will be .25 mg. When tapering, I couldn't drop my previous dose in half every week. I'm barely getting through it now. But I am determined to not reinstate, and letting the chips fall where they may. I really hope to see more progress by next Friday. Like JLeDi, I'm not comfortable to say this absolutely works. But I'm leaning in that direction. It will be some time before I can put my mind to posting the specific protocol. prep, suppliers, etc. Right now, anybody interested should be trying the spray, something Ken Starr has people do. One person did use the spray, without any improvement (didn't make them worse or better), and had NAD+ infusions with success.

Biggest issues for me now: acid reflux, paresthesia, tinnitus, floaty/boaty/dizzy stuff, bladder incontinence, the raised hair on back of head sensation, sleep. With the first day of the next round of patches, burning tongue and that metallic, bitter taste is wayyyyy down. Headaches, tooth pain/sensitivity, inner vibrations, runny nose, stinging dry eyes, and bloat are way down.

I think with diazepam, follow-up treatments really help. JLeDi and Shamo jumped from diazepam, and had subsequent treatments. Fighterk jumped from diazepam, but did not have additional treatment after the original. You still have significant amounts in your system after jumping, every 8.5 days it's down to half what the previous week was. I cut my dose the week prior, and was down to 1 mg. I was really quite sick then. I just want to get a head start on getting the poison out. Following Ken Starr's current protocol, I jumped off the 1 mg 4 days in. You're low enough, you could just drop it all at the same time, like JLeDi did. You are close to his dose, and probably will be at or below by the time you do this, if you do. Ken Starr will do shorter treatments, to help with tapering. One person did it in stages, and went to Starr, dropping a mg of diazepam each time. Took months to get off, and they returned for a final treatment a month after jumping off final mg. So one can use NAD+ to facilitate a more rapid taper, by dropping doses in stages. Maybe this would be less intense? I don't know really. Somebody else will have to try it and get back to BB, I've done my job here.  :laugh:

I had an uptick in symptoms this afternoon. Was really feeling discouraged today. This can mess with your mind. NFN wondered if she made a mistake, she was told it wouldn't be too bad. No one prepared her for acute hell. But she hung in there, and it paid off. Shamo said it helps if you stay positive as acute takes place, so I tell myself I'm healing. This is my body trying to recover from the damage of benzos. And a lot of cycling with w/d symptoms. What I'm looking forward to seeing finally go: acid reflux, paresthesia, headaches (fading). I can live with a few other things, I can adapt. Burning tongue is short-lived, inner vibrations are also short-lived. I'm trying to focus on the positives, the improvements. I do believe mindset is important, you have to go in with realistic expectations, and understand that even with NAD+, healing takes time. I'm on a Road to Nowhere. My NAD+ detox song:

Well I thought that was pretty detailed…LOL! And I am so grateful  :).

I love the “breaking out in song” it makes it fun and relatable….I love music too :thumbsup:

I will admit, I was really hoping that this would be easier for you and not so “acute”, with that said, I do know with my own c/t after about a 3 month period on Zanax the acute for about 3 days was off the charts and I thought I was going nuts, so I went to the hospital.  So this doesn’t sound as bad….still “sounds scary” I won’t lie, but I think I could dig deep and do it. 

Hopefully this next round of NAD+ Will really help you turn the corner and get some relief/healing.  Thank you for keeping us posted, especially when you aren’t feeling well.

:mybuddy::yippee::therethere:

Marie

I feel I have to point out the downside to doing this. NFN said it was pretty bad, but didn't elaborate. Shamo described it as difficult, the first week being the worst, with improvements beginning in the second week. JLeDi had gone through nearly two years of really bad acute and post acute, after a c/t, before reinstating, and tapering again. He expected to have a repeat of those symptoms, he had symptoms, but not nearly as brutal. He, too, said things really began improving in week two. Fighterk actually went off the equivalent of the same amount of diazepam as I did, 2.75 mg. She said the first two weeks were the hardest, things improved by week three. I'm in week two. JLeDi wasn't even comfortable recommending NAD+ initially. He was a bit skeptical, expected a repeat of his previous c/t, he had few bad w/d symptoms during treatment, but felt more after. That is true for me. I was eating pierogies during Easter week!  ::)  It was only after two weeks, when he began recovering, that he felt it worked, and could say so. I wanted anybody considering NAD+, to get the ugly along with the good. And the ugly, is really ugly for the first two weeks.

I had these songs popping out in my head, so I thought I'd add them to lighten things up. To the uninitiated, it can look daunting and scary, because it is. I had hoped for something a little easier, but I knew I'd experience acute. I didn't think acute would be, well, so acute. Didn't think I'd experience stuff that I rarely. rarely, had during tapering. NFN makes that quite clear, you will still have to go through acute and post acute. It will be intense, but it does get better as the weeks and month go by. That's what I'm hanging on to. NFN did say she knew two people who didn't respond as well, but they were on multiple meds they were trying to get off of, which may have been a factor. Some meds can interfere with NAD+. NFN's triptan for migraines and Shamo's high dose of pregabalin did. NFN stopped hers, Shamo had to cut his in half. He used follow-up NAD+ to jump off the remainder. I take 300 mg gabapentin, but many give that to those getting NAD+ for benzos, Dr Ken Starr being one of them. Basically meds that affect the brain, or act in the brain. NFN said people need to discuss any meds with doctors. And while NFN didn't go to Ken Starr, she stated he is highly regarded, and probably the most knowledgeable regarding NAD+ detox for benzos.

I started more treatment today. Symptoms are less intense. There's around >0.5 mg diazepam, by next Thursday it will be .25 mg. When tapering, I couldn't drop my previous dose in half every week. I'm barely getting through it now. But I am determined to not reinstate, and letting the chips fall where they may. I really hope to see more progress by next Friday. Like JLeDi, I'm not comfortable to say this absolutely works. But I'm leaning in that direction. It will be some time before I can put my mind to posting the specific protocol. prep, suppliers, etc. Right now, anybody interested should be trying the spray, something Ken Starr has people do. One person did use the spray, without any improvement (didn't make them worse or better), and had NAD+ infusions with success.

Biggest issues for me now: acid reflux, paresthesia, tinnitus, floaty/boaty/dizzy stuff, bladder incontinence, the raised hair on back of head sensation, sleep. With the first day of the next round of patches, burning tongue and that metallic, bitter taste is wayyyyy down. Headaches, tooth pain/sensitivity, inner vibrations, runny nose, stinging dry eyes, and bloat are way down.

I think with diazepam, follow-up treatments really help. JLeDi and Shamo jumped from diazepam, and had subsequent treatments. Fighterk jumped from diazepam, but did not have additional treatment after the original. You still have significant amounts in your system after jumping, every 8.5 days it's down to half what the previous week was. I cut my dose the week prior, and was down to 1 mg. I was really quite sick then. I just want to get a head start on getting the poison out. Following Ken Starr's current protocol, I jumped off the 1 mg 4 days in. You're low enough, you could just drop it all at the same time, like JLeDi did. You are close to his dose, and probably will be at or below by the time you do this, if you do. Ken Starr will do shorter treatments, to help with tapering. One person did it in stages, and went to Starr, dropping a mg of diazepam each time. Took months to get off, and they returned for a final treatment a month after jumping off final mg. So one can use NAD+ to facilitate a more rapid taper, by dropping doses in stages. Maybe this would be less intense? I don't know really. Somebody else will have to try it and get back to BB, I've done my job here.  :laugh:

Lottie-

Wow.  Thank you so much for all of this information,  so much to think about.  I am lower and that would “maybe” help some.  Obviously “if” I did this, I would obviously still have to go through an acute phase.  There is no way around this. :P  I’m thinking if I do it, I may wait until 1mg, or even .50.  I am such a chicken.  One of my biggest fears is benzo flu, it seems to always hit me hard if I go to fast and “vibrations” like you are talking about. I have also struggled with the tooth pain in the past.  So I would imagine I would really suffer with those things as well as my burning face  ???  Also, sleep has always been an issue for me in the past, so that worries me a bit too….but the prospect of getting off early is definitely exciting.

I saw your post below this one and an uptick of symptoms  :therethere:  i really really hope that soon you will turn the corner.  I’m so glad you are sticking this out.  Even though its been rough, it does sound like at some levels it is manageable given how hard it was for you to taper.  Me too.  Having to go so slow, and really watch my % is so frustrating.  So it does seem like this “maybe” working”. 

I appreciate your honesty - the good, bad and the ugly :D….you have done so much research and sharing all this knowledge, plus your own journey is just awesome  :clap:  You are defiantly so kind to do all this too, while not feeling well, so thank you  :thumbsup:

I had another kidney stone and was in the hospital again on Saturday… ugh. 

Marie :smitten:

Wow.  Thank you so much for all of this information,  so much to think about.  I am lower and that would “maybe” help some.  Obviously “if” I did this, I would obviously still have to go through an acute phase.  There is no way around this. :P  I’m thinking if I do it, I may wait until 1mg, or even .50.  I am such a chicken.  One of my biggest fears is benzo flu, it seems to always hit me hard if I go to fast and “vibrations” like you are talking about. I have also struggled with the tooth pain in the past.  So I would imagine I would really suffer with those things as well as my burning face  ???  Also, sleep has always been an issue for me in the past, so that worries me a bit too….but the prospect of getting off early is definitely exciting.

I saw your post below this one and an uptick of symptoms  :therethere:  i really really hope that soon you will turn the corner.  I’m so glad you are sticking this out.  Even though its been rough, it does sound like at some levels it is manageable given how hard it was for you to taper.  Me too.  Having to go so slow, and really watch my % is so frustrating.  So it does seem like this “maybe” working”. 

I appreciate your honesty - the good, bad and the ugly :D….you have done so much research and sharing all this knowledge, plus your own journey is just awesome  :clap:  You are defiantly so kind to do all this too, while not feeling well, so thank you  :thumbsup:

Well, I really didn't expect it would be this hard. NFN said her doctors didn't prepare her for the worst, and then she felt the worst. She only realized how well NAD+ worked once a month had passed. Shamo is correct that the first week is the worst, things start getting better after you turn that first corner. And Fighterk is probably right about things getting better after two weeks. I'm about to turn that second corner, will be starting week three. Shamo just mentions a lot of cycling of symptoms and many improvements.  It helps me to go back and reread their posts, plus Fighterk jumped from the equivalent of my diazepam dose, 2.75 mg.

Yeah, you will have acute, as NFN repeatedly pointed out to others. You don't get to skip benzo jail and return to 'Go', you don't have a 'Get-out-of-jail-free' card, you go directly to acute benzo jail and serve your miserable sentence, how ever long it takes. To borrow some Monopoly lingo. And acute will feel life tapering too fast, and possibly then some. Stepping off at a lower dose can possibly mitigate that. I think NFN and Shamo had it worse than I am. But neither reinstated. They waited it out, and so am I. The burning face is paresthesia, and mine went from a zappy, stinging feel, to outright burning much of that first week. Now it's mostly numb and tingly, with some burning and zapping after dinner. Shamo is right, eating really does trigger stuff, and eating also stimulates the Vagus nerve, which sets off an avalanche of symptoms. 

Even though I am in acute hell now, I can say I don't regret doing this. I do believe it is working. I didn't expect acute to be as bad, but I know it could be a lot worse, much worse. It was worth it because I got off the seemingly never-ending tapering merry-go-round. It was sooooo satisfying to kick benzos to the curb, clear those pill bottles of the shelf, and stick my tongue out  :P at the scale, nail file, 36 compartment plastic box with remaining weighed and bundled doses I never took. My sleep will come back, my appetite is still not the best, but I'm tolerating reduced fat string cheese with nigh time snack,  and savoring 8 pieces each of the milk and white chocolate crispy M&M's eggs from Easter. Milk are honey graham flavor, white are marshmallow crispy flavored.

My symptoms seem to peak by mid-afternoon, and I do think that dinner triggers it. That is the heaviest meal, 3 oz chicken breast or white fish. small sweet or white potato, big serving of veggies. I went from the merry-go-round of endless tapering, to the roller coaster ride of acute. Up the hill, then down. Up... then down. There are upticks in symptoms as the diazepam dose drops by half every 8.5 days. But overall, there has been a gradual drop in the severity. So where am I now as I turn the week two post NAD+ corner? Acid reflux: a little less, tolerating a string cheese stick and and a small portion of crispy M&M's. Paresthesia: less burning and stinging. More numbness and tingling. I get a surreal sensation that my lips, lower nose, and the area around my mouth, are frozen. I am feeling cold again (which happened a lot during taper), instead of hot like I did post-NAD+.  Headaches: fading, and so is that hair standing up on the back of my head sensation. Sometimes the back of my head feels frozen. Have had numbness and tingling in my hands too, and they feel cold. Didn't really have that much during taper either. Bladder incontinence: still wearing big pads in my undies, I think the rapid reduction in diazepam is to blame. Bladder is a muscle, going off brings on muscle spasms and twitches.  :crazy: Common in many who did rapid detox or c/t. Burning tongue and metallic, bitter, taste are short-lived, lasting a couple hours after eating. inner vibrations are very short-lived. Tinnitus is still chiming in my ears, a little less intense. Floaty-boaty, rocking, dizzy, etc, feeling is down significantly. Some random, minor, tooth discomfort. But no pain, no jaw pain either. Gained a little weight during Easter week, I was eating pierogies and chocolates, plus tablespoons of peanut butter. After, I lost two pounds in the past two weeks. I really don't need to lose any more weight. So, adding the cheese and M&M's will at least help to keep my weight stable for now.

I'm trying to keep up with the journal, I want people to see the whole picture. Go in more prepared than I was, since I went in mostly blind, being that no one did iontophoresis NAD+. I feel I have a duty to lay it all out there. So, I post even through acute, sharing my experience so you can all learn from it. I know people are reading and following. Not an easy decision to make. The three days of more NAD+ definitely helped. Didn't return me to what I felt Easter week, but knocked some of the uptick in symptoms back down.  There's about 0.19 mg of diazepam left in my body. It'll be 0.13 by Saturday. It's Day 21 since jumping, and 2 weeks since ending the initial 12 days of NAD+. Mother's Day I'll be at .06 mg diazepam. I don't think it's having that much of an impact at this point. By the end of May it will be at .015 mg, .0075 by June 8th. Negligible. :yippee:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another kidney stone? Bleh!  :(  Did you ever pass the earlier one? No fun being in the hospital. Especially when you feel like crap from w/d and most medical folks haven't a clue. What do they think is bringing these on?  ???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhh... face was zappy after dinner, now an hour-and-a-half later, we're back to numb and tingly again. At least the uptick after eating doesn't stay around like the annoying PITA mother-in-law, it leaves when it's worn out it's welcome.    :D

Well, I really didn't expect it would be this hard. NFN said her doctors didn't prepare her for the worst, and then she felt the worst. She only realized how well NAD+ worked once a month had passed. Shamo is correct that the first week is the worst, things start getting better after you turn that first corner. And Fighterk is probably right about things getting better after two weeks. I'm about to turn that second corner, will be starting week three. Shamo just mentions a lot of cycling of symptoms and many improvements.  It helps me to go back and reread their posts, plus Fighterk jumped from the equivalent of my diazepam dose, 2.75 mg.

Yeah, you will have acute, as NFN repeatedly pointed out to others. You don't get to skip benzo jail and return to 'Go', you don't have a 'Get-out-of-jail-free' card, you go directly to acute benzo jail and serve your miserable sentence, how ever long it takes. To borrow some Monopoly lingo. And acute will feel life tapering too fast, and possibly then some. Stepping off at a lower dose can possibly mitigate that. I think NFN and Shamo had it worse than I am. But neither reinstated. They waited it out, and so am I. The burning face is paresthesia, and mine went from a zappy, stinging feel, to outright burning much of that first week. Now it's mostly numb and tingly, with some burning and zapping after dinner. Shamo is right, eating really does trigger stuff, and eating also stimulates the Vagus nerve, which sets off an avalanche of symptoms. 

Even though I am in acute hell now, I can say I don't regret doing this. I do believe it is working. I didn't expect acute to be as bad, but I know it could be a lot worse, much worse. It was worth it because I got off the seemingly never-ending tapering merry-go-round. It was sooooo satisfying to kick benzos to the curb, clear those pill bottles of the shelf, and stick my tongue out  :P at the scale, nail file, 36 compartment plastic box with remaining weighed and bundled doses I never took. My sleep will come back, my appetite is still not the best, but I'm tolerating reduced fat string cheese with nigh time snack,  and savoring 8 pieces each of the milk and white chocolate crispy M&M's eggs from Easter. Milk are honey graham flavor, white are marshmallow crispy flavored.

My symptoms seem to peak by mid-afternoon, and I do think that dinner triggers it. That is the heaviest meal, 3 oz chicken breast or white fish. small sweet or white potato, big serving of veggies. I went from the merry-go-round of endless tapering, to the roller coaster ride of acute. Up the hill, then down. Up... then down. There are upticks in symptoms as the diazepam dose drops by half every 8.5 days. But overall, there has been a gradual drop in the severity. So where am I now as I turn the week two post NAD+ corner? Acid reflux: a little less, tolerating a string cheese stick and and a small portion of crispy M&M's. Paresthesia: less burning and stinging. More numbness and tingling. I get a surreal sensation that my lips, lower nose, and the area around my mouth, are frozen. I am feeling cold again (which happened a lot during taper), instead of hot like I did post-NAD+.  Headaches: fading, and so is that hair standing up on the back of my head sensation. Sometimes the back of my head feels frozen. Have had numbness and tingling in my hands too, and they feel cold. Didn't really have that much during taper either. Bladder incontinence: still wearing big pads in my undies, I think the rapid reduction in diazepam is to blame. Bladder is a muscle, going off brings on muscle spasms and twitches.  :crazy: Common in many who did rapid detox or c/t. Burning tongue and metallic, bitter, taste are short-lived, lasting a couple hours after eating. inner vibrations are very short-lived. Tinnitus is still chiming in my ears, a little less intense. Floaty-boaty, rocking, dizzy, etc, feeling is down significantly. Some random, minor, tooth discomfort. But no pain, no jaw pain either. Gained a little weight during Easter week, I was eating pierogies and chocolates, plus tablespoons of peanut butter. After, I lost two pounds in the past two weeks. I really don't need to lose any more weight. So, adding the cheese and M&M's will at least help to keep my weight stable for now.

I'm trying to keep up with the journal, I want people to see the whole picture. Go in more prepared than I was, since I went in mostly blind, being that no one did iontophoresis NAD+. I feel I have a duty to lay it all out there. So, I post even through acute, sharing my experience so you can all learn from it. I know people are reading and following. Not an easy decision to make. The three days of more NAD+ definitely helped. Didn't return me to what I felt Easter week, but knocked some of the uptick in symptoms back down.  There's about 0.19 mg of diazepam left in my body. It'll be 0.13 by Saturday. It's Day 21 since jumping, and 2 weeks since ending the initial 12 days of NAD+. Mother's Day I'll be at .06 mg diazepam. I don't think it's having that much of an impact at this point. By the end of May it will be at .015 mg, .0075 by June 8th. Negligible. :yippee:

Another kidney stone? Bleh!  :(  Did you ever pass the earlier one? No fun being in the hospital. Especially when you feel like crap from w/d and most medical folks haven't a clue. What do they think is bringing these on?  ???

Ohhh... face was zappy after dinner, now an hour-and-a-half later, we're back to numb and tingly again. At least the uptick after eating doesn't stay around like the annoying PITA mother-in-law, it leaves when it's worn out it's welcome.    :D

Again thank you for this honest look at the idea of NAD as a quick fix idea for getting off benzos.  It is a quick step off but sure not for the faint of heart.  Your journey allows me to continue considering this an an option but to be realistic about what I'm getting myself into if i choose this route.

I am having good success with the NAD nasal spray and will continue that for the next wheel.

Wishing you the best BenzoLottie!  Wishing you a decrease in sxs soon and a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.  Kick this pill bottles to the curb! Yay!

Again thank you for this honest look at the idea of NAD as a quick fix idea for getting off benzos.  It is a quick step off but sure not for the faint of heart.  Your journey allows me to continue considering this an an option but to be realistic about what I'm getting myself into if i choose this route.

I am having good success with the NAD nasal spray and will continue that for the next wheel.

Wishing you the best BenzoLottie!  Wishing you a decrease in sxs soon and a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.  Kick this pill bottles to the curb! Yay!

Definitely not a 'quick fix', that's for sure!  :tickedoff:  :idiot:  :crazy:  :D    Something NFN had to keep stressing to those asking questions. She went in being told it wouldn't be so bad, and after she was questioning if she made a mistake. Been there! Done that! That first week after NAD+ was much more intense than I thought it would be. So... yeah.  ::)  At least all those following and reading this, will be going into this process knowing what they could expect. Obviously, no two people are the same. You could have a better outcome, jumping off a lower amount. You could have symptoms I didn't have, not as intense as mine, it's all a crap shoot! Roll the dice, and see where they land. Bleh! :sick:

NAD+ nasal spray definitely was a positive for me. So, if it's helping you, and you are tolerating it, it's a good sign that NAD+ would work for you. Tomorrow is Day 1 of week 3. Shamo was right about week 1, I think Fighterk is right about week 2. Looking forward to further improvements as the week comes by.  :thumbsup:

Definitely not a 'quick fix', that's for sure!  :tickedoff:  :idiot:  :crazy:  :D    Something NFN had to keep stressing to those asking questions. She went in being told it wouldn't be so bad, and after she was questioning if she made a mistake. Been there! Done that! That first week after NAD+ was much more intense than I thought it would be. So... yeah.  ::)  At least all those following and reading this, will be going into this process knowing what they could expect. Obviously, no two people are the same. You could have a better outcome, jumping off a lower amount. You could have symptoms I didn't have, not as intense as mine, it's all a crap shoot! Roll the dice, and see where they land. Bleh! :sick:

NAD+ nasal spray definitely was a positive for me. So, if it's helping you, and you are tolerating it, it's a good sign that NAD+ would work for you. Tomorrow is Day 1 of week 3. Shamo was right about week 1, I think Fighterk is right about week 2. Looking forward to further improvements as the week comes by.  :thumbsup:

The nasal spray is amazing, my body is not just tolerating it but I can feel more vitality returning.  i had a busy weekend with a dinner, and concert and then work on Monday (after which we had to put our ancient cat down  :'( :'( :'()    the combo of which would have wrecked me previously.  Yesterday was fine!  symptom wise that is, still so sad  :'(    I am really considering using this method as a step down approach.

Again thank you for your info on how you are doing.

I am so so glad that things are easing somewhat.

All the best to you

The nasal spray is amazing, my body is not just tolerating it but I can feel more vitality returning.  i had a busy weekend with a dinner, and concert and then work on Monday (after which we had to put our ancient cat down  :'( :'( :'()    the combo of which would have wrecked me previously.  Yesterday was fine!  symptom wise that is, still so sad  :'(    I am really considering using this method as a step down approach.

All the best to you

You should add that to the nasal spray thread. A lot of people reading/following, need more positive outcomes. Are you up to the maximum 90 mg? I do admit that the spray made me a bit more energized. NAD+ in drip or iontophoresis form did energize me more, not in a stimulating or wave producing way, but I felt less blah overall.

So sorry about the cat. :hug:  One of mine is my avatar. Both turn 5 this Summer. It's hard when we have to say goodbye to our furballs.  :'( 

Well, each day is a new adventure! I had a brief period this morning where the tinnitus stopped! It was short-lived.  :P  Other stuff comes and goes. The constant is mostly GI issues (acid reflux) and paresthesia, and eating ramps up stuff. So far, mostly headache-free. Yup, cycling on and off, in and out. At least nothing new has shown up.  :-X

All the best to you

There's an

You should add that to the nasal spray thread. A lot of people reading/following, need more positive outcomes. Are you up to the maximum 90 mg? I do admit that the spray made me a bit more energized. NAD+ in drip or iontophoresis form did energize me more, not in a stimulating or wave producing way, but I felt less blah overall.

So sorry about the cat. :hug:  One of mine is my avatar. Both turn 5 this Summer. It's hard when we have to say goodbye to our furballs.  :'( 

Well, each day is a new adventure! I had a brief period this morning where the tinnitus stopped! It was short-lived.  :P  Other stuff comes and goes. The constant is mostly GI issues (acid reflux) and paresthesia, and eating ramps up stuff. So far, mostly headache-free. Yup, cycling on and off, in and out. At least nothing new has shown up.  :-X

The tinnitus stopped!  Even a brief reprieve is a reprieve -- happy for you. 

There's an NAD Nasal spray thread?  Could you link it?

Technology is not my strong suit...

I haven't found any info on maximum of 90mg.  I know you do your research could you point me that way?  I looked at a few sites....

And yes companion animals the best and the worst when we lose them. Your's looks pretty chill!  Ours was such a huge part of this household for about 16 years -- a stray who found us.

Hoping that the amelioration os symptoms continues...

:):thumbsup:

I haven't found any info on maximum of 90mg.  I know you do your research could you point me that way?  I looked at a few sites....

And yes companion animals the best and the worst when we lose them. Your's looks pretty chill!  Ours was such a huge part of this household for about 16 years -- a stray who found us.

Yeah, tinnitus stopped briefly. Headache feels like it wants to take over. Sometimes I feel one starting, and then it eases.

Nasal spray thread was posted on page 2 of this thread, but here's the link again. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=275902.0

Ken Starr says those using the spray while tapering should aim for the maximum of 90 mg. I think the Archway Apothecary (the one Starr has) and AgelessRx are both 30 mg per spray, so you'd need 3 sprays.  Starr says 50 to 60 mg for those post NAD+ detox. That's what I do now.

That kitty is a dilute calico with odd, shorter, legs. Not as short as Munchkin cats, but she walks differently. She also has an odd body shape. She likely has some form of mild dwarfism. She was a feral kitten I socialized. I don't think she would have survived outdoors. She's living the carefree life indoors,  :smitten:

ETA: Now tinnitus sounds like cicadas or crickets chirping, or whatever. Hmmmmm....  ::)

Yeah, tinnitus stopped briefly. Headache feels like it wants to take over. Sometimes I feel one starting, and then it eases.

Nasal spray thread was posted on page 2 of this thread, but here's the link again. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=275902.0

Ken Starr says those using the spray while tapering should aim for the maximum of 90 mg. I think the Archway Apothecary (the one Starr has) and AgelessRx are both 30 mg per spray, so you'd need 3 sprays.  Starr says 50 to 60 mg for those post NAD+ detox. That's what I do now.

That kitty is a dilute calico with odd, shorter, legs. Not as short as Munchkin cats, but she walks differently. She also has an odd body shape. She likely has some form of mild dwarfism. She was a feral kitten I socialized. I don't think she would have survived outdoors. She's living the carefree life indoors,  :smitten:

ETA: Now tinnitus sounds like cicadas or crickets chirping, or whatever. Hmmmmm....  ::)

Well I sure have been spraying more than that in my schnoz!  And I feel good.  I know that there is a lot of variation in what the NAD supplements have as a daily total.

Your cat sounds pretty precious!  And these rescued critters are the best.

Our kitten, yes at 17 we still called him that, was also a stray.  He insisted on coming in one day and stayed, for the most part, although if I ever got to thinking he was mine he'd disappear for a few days.  He also spent a lot of time at our neighbours, and would come home smelling so strongly of cigarette smoke I'd have to wipe him down.  He was the gentlest cat I've ever known and our Irish wolfhound mix was scared of him and would tiptoe around him.  A big Zorro sized hole in my heart..

Crickets huh?  Mine is more wizzing sound  :D

Either the bells are a ringing, or the crickets are a chirping.  :D  I'd rather hear the crickets or maybe the cicadas. TV drowns out all of it. Body is trying to get used to the drop from .25 last Thursday, to .13 Saturday. The lower I get, the more the remaining diazepam clears out, the less intense the w/d symptoms are.

Either the bells are a ringing, or the crickets are a chirping.  :D  I'd rather hear the crickets or maybe the cicadas. TV drowns out all of it. Body is trying to get used to the drop from .25 last Thursday, to .13 Saturday. The lower I get, the more the remaining diazepam clears out, the less intense the w/d symptoms are.

this is fantastic to hear -- that the symptoms are less intense!  You are doing it wise one  :thumbsup:

this is fantastic to hear -- that the symptoms are less intense!  You are doing it wise one  :thumbsup:

Yeah, but I'm still in the pits of benzo hell>:D

I think I moved from the 7th level up to the 5th or 4th. Maybe next week I'll be at the 3rd. I just want to get out of this tortuous pit!  :( The diazepam will be dropping below .13 mg then, Professor Heather Ashton says below .25 has little action on benzo receptors. I just keep doing follow-up patch treatments, and added Astaxanthin supplements to further address inflammation and glutamate excitotoxicity. Debating about trying Valasta. I think I will do more patches over the weekend. It seems to be helping with the big drops of in diazepam in my system.

I think I moved from the 7th level up to the 5th or 4th. Maybe next week I'll be at the 3rd. I just want to get out of this tortuous pit!  :( The diazepam will be dropping below .13 mg then, Professor Heather Ashton says below .25 has little action on benzo receptors. I just keep doing follow-up patch treatments, and added Astaxanthin supplements to further address inflammation and glutamate excitotoxicity. Debating about trying Valasta. I think I will do more patches over the weekend. It seems to be helping with the big drops of in diazepam in my system.

sorry to hear that it's the pits of hell.  I know Ashton is oft quoted but she was really guessing at a lot of things --

don't get me wrong, what she did for Benzo w/d is immense -- but there is little science behind many of her claims.

so good to hear that the patches are working well in helping with the hell realms, as is the Astaxanthin!!!

sorry to hear that it's the pits of hell.  I know Ashton is oft quoted but she was really guessing at a lot of things --

don't get me wrong, what she did for Benzo w/d is immense -- but there is little science behind many of her claims.

so good to hear that the patches are working well in helping with the hell realms, as is the Astaxanthin!!!

She's right about that, it isn't effecting Gaba receptors much. The problem is the glutamate, which is why some taper down to zero, others jump at .25 mg. I see most jump at .25 mg diazepam or the equivalent. Those who tapered down to 0 basically went through acute while still tapering, so they stepped off gently. She also made revisions in the additions to the manual, based on feedback from patients. NAD+ is an assist in that it knocks down the glutamate. With the diazepam clearing out, the final process of healing can now take place. We don't fully heal until we are finally off the benzo. The idea of tapering is to allow the body to slowly adjust to the reductions without having too much excitotoxicity, as rapid tapering, medical detox and c/t create too much. That's why tapering is based on symptoms, symptoms are your body telling you to adjust your taper rate and percentage. My symptoms now would be a warning if tapering, but the norm for acute. I've seen people go through acute, and it was worse than me. You're going to go through acute, regardless of how you stop taking the benzo, either after stopping, or during the end of tapering. I'm going through it after.

Additional NAD+ treatments definitely help as diazepam moves out, knocks the glutamate back down. I don't know it the Astaxanthin is doing anything yet, as I haven't taken it very long. Nova1 posted in that thread about it having a 16 hour half-life, so smaller daily doses start accumulating. It may take a bit to notice it doing anything. But the info she posted show that eventually after accumulating enough, it kicks in. Valasta just kicks it in faster. Overall, my acute symptoms are much less now then they were two weeks ago. I keep looking at the positives, the symptoms that are less, or transient, the improvements taking place. Still very sick, but it's not like it was right after finishing treatment.

Here's where I'm at now: tinnitus still there, mostly ringing, sometimes chirping, rarely almost silent.

Acid reflux: A  >:D keeps pouring molten lava inside me. It goes up as the day goes by, dinner triggers it a lot. It drops by late evening, which is when I sneak in the string cheese stick and the small portion of M&M's which I savor.  It's also not real bad in the morning, this is definitely food-triggered. Diazepam still in my body, continues to relax the esophageal sphincter, allowing acid to escape. The 10 mg Baclofen I take at bedtime, ironically shuts it. Baclofen has a 7 to 8 hour half-life, so it's effects are probably covering the mornings, and it stops reflux at night. Overall, this is very gradually diminishing. I wish it was faster  :sick: , but I'll get there.

Floaty. boaty, dizzy stuff: is worse as the day goes by. I do more productive stuff in the morning, when it bothers me less. I relish crawling into bed and relaxing with massage motors for 30 min until the night meds kick in and I fall asleep. I'm fine in the morning, this goes up after noon. Morning is when I can do stuff. The LitterRobot desperately needed a wipe down, so I did that Wednesday morning when I also emptied the collection drawer. Yeah, kitties got a fancy robotic litter box, it's a refurb with cosmetic blemishes. It's in the corner of the tiny bedroom I use for storage, nobody visiting sees it. This morning (Thursday) I cleaned out the humidifier that I haven't used for over a week, to store away until late Fall. Tomorrow morning, I'll empty the dishwasher. Two weeks ago, I could barely do this. I nearly dropped some dishes. I had to sit for a moment before resuming. Last week I was able to empty it all at once, but it took me longer. Other mornings have been spent clearing out-of-date food from cabinets and tossing it. I just do small chores in the mornings.

Sleep: on non-NAD+ treatment days, it improves. Better than the first week, better then the second. Definitely better than when I was tapering. On NAD+ treatment days, not as good. I think this will change as I move into post-acute.

Headaches: really minor, if at all. Not even having that 'hair standing on the back of my head' sensation. I was having debilitating headaches the first week.

Paresthesia: Less burning, stinging, much less. When I do have that, it doesn't last long. Even the numb and tingly sensation is less, everything peaks by late afternoon, early evening. Again, things are their worse after I eat dinner around 1:30 pm.

The paresthesia, reflux and dizzy stuff are my worst symptoms. I'm not out of acute hell yet, but I'm getting there.  :thumbsup:

Another update. It's amazing how things keep changing. I think fighterk was correct about things really improving after Week 2.

Here's where I'm at now: tinnitus still there, less intense ringing, more chirping, rarely almost silent.

Acid reflux: Still one of my most annoying symptoms. But it has really lessened compared to the first week. I think it will continue to improve over time. I'm looking forward to eating more types and varieties of food,

Floaty. boaty, dizzy stuff: This is still a big problem. It gets worse as the day goes by, and increases after eating.

Sleep: Still very much improving. I even had a really bizarre and vivid dream two nights ago.

Headaches: Comes and goes, very transient. I don't bother with ice packs, I just wait it out. They are very short-lived. Much less of the hair-standing-on-back-of-head sensation too.

Paresthesia: Pare what??? Two days ago, the shocks, zaps, sometimes burning sensation just went away. I didn't want to post just yet, didn't want to jinx myself. Now, it's a numb sensation with some tingling. Mostly my lips/mouth feels numb. This is a big change from what I was experiencing.

PVC's: I have had these occasionally, but they became more pronounced and frequent by the end of last week. If I exert myself too much, I experience them. Episodes would last 10 to 15 minutes. Sounded like someone was dribbling a basketball; boom, woosh, boom, woosh, boom! They appear to be settling down now.

I did a single treatment yesterday, to keep/boost the NAD+ levels. Otherwise, I'm doing the nasal spray. I cut down to doing two sprays which is around 25 - 26 mg. I feel pretty confident now that iontophoresis NAD+ works as well as IV NAD+. Each week, I continue to improve, with symptoms becoming less pronounced as each week goes by. Almost at the end of Week 3, and things have really gotten better. I took a gamble and it paid off, benzo-free and healing every day. I will follow-up with the specifics of supplements, patch suppliers, sizes, doses, etc. in the near future.

I am feeling extremely hopeful now. Ecstatic even. If I have what fishyfish had (Mostly healed in 5 months), I'd be pretty happy.  ;D

I actually might be able to have a Christmas holiday. 2023 started looking bleak and hopeless, as I'd probably be tapering until the end of the year. Now it's looking hopeful, as I am free, no longer a slave to the poison. :yippee:

Another update. It's amazing how things keep changing. I think fighterk was correct about things really improving after Week 2.

Here's where I'm at now: tinnitus still there, less intense ringing, more chirping, rarely almost silent.

Acid reflux: Still one of my most annoying symptoms. But it has really lessened compared to the first week. I think it will continue to improve over time. I'm looking forward to eating more types and varieties of food,

Floaty. boaty, dizzy stuff: This is still a big problem. It gets worse as the day goes by, and increases after eating.

Sleep: Still very much improving. I even had a really bizarre and vivid dream two nights ago.

Headaches: Comes and goes, very transient. I don't bother with ice packs, I just wait it out. They are very short-lived. Much less of the hair-standing-on-back-of-head sensation too.

Paresthesia: Pare what??? Two days ago, the shocks, zaps, sometimes burning sensation just went away. I didn't want to post just yet, didn't want to jinx myself. Now, it's a numb sensation with some tingling. Mostly my lips/mouth feels numb. This is a big change from what I was experiencing.

PVC's: I have had these occasionally, but they became more pronounced and frequent by the end of last week. If I exert myself too much, I experience them. Episodes would last 10 to 15 minutes. Sounded like someone was dribbling a basketball; boom, woosh, boom, woosh, boom! They appear to be settling down now.

I did a single treatment yesterday, to keep/boost the NAD+ levels. Otherwise, I'm doing the nasal spray. I cut down to doing two sprays which is around 25 - 26 mg. I feel pretty confident now that iontophoresis NAD+ works as well as IV NAD+. Each week, I continue to improve, with symptoms becoming less pronounced as each week goes by. Almost at the end of Week 3, and things have really gotten better. I took a gamble and it paid off, benzo-free and healing every day. I will follow-up with the specifics of supplements, patch suppliers, sizes, doses, etc. in the near future.

I am feeling extremely hopeful now. Ecstatic even. If I have what fishyfish had (Mostly healed in 5 months), I'd be pretty happy.  ;D

I actually might be able to have a Christmas holiday. 2023 started looking bleak and hopeless, as I'd probably be tapering until the end of the year. Now it's looking hopeful, as I am free, no longer a slave to the poison. :yippee:

this is a really fantastic update BL!

I'm so glad that things are getting so much better relatively quickly.

And the Para?? disappearing all at once is wild huh?  There used to be a buddy on here who had horrible sxs that all disappeared at once.  The body can do some incredible things.

I'll bet these last three weeks have been Loooong -- but look at the results.

Way to go and congratulations

I know I know it's not over yet...

• 2 weeks later...
Benzolottie -  I see that you take Gabapentin.  Please know that I found it is best to taper off that very, very slowly despite what instructions or doctors may tell you.

Benzolottie -  I see that you take Gabapentin.  Please know that I found it is best to taper off that very, very slowly despite what instructions or doctors may tell you.

That's in my near future. I see my PCP in a couple weeks, she took over my script for gabapentin after my PsychNP left. I exchanged conversations with many who took it during taper, 300 mg to 400 mg a day. All cut 100 mg a month, and none had any issues. I have been using it for around 16 months. I don't see any problems getting off. I've been it in the past, and had no issues. I was on its stronger cousin, pregabalin 25 mg, for a month and stopped c/t with zero issues. One person, Shamo, who did NAD+ to jump from diazepam, used a follow-up NAD+ IV to jump c/t from pregabalin, I thought of that, but decided not to. I know somebody who took 100 mg a day for a year, they simply dropped that completely, no issues. Gabapentin can be a problem for those on high doses, and for long periods of time (years). Like benzos, you have to gradually reduce it. I don't anticipate any problems doing what others did on similar doses. And, if I do run into problems, I can go with yet another round of NAD+. It apparently works well to get off the end of gabapentinoids.

I've been MIA for a bit. Busy slaying Darth Benzo with my light saber. Take that, Darth Benzo! :oXo: And that, and that, and that!  :tickedoff:  Need to recharge my light saber.  :D

I continue to improve in many ways, still slugging through others. But I think acute is about to end. I have been more productive, getting more things done. I actually got too confident, overdid things, and paid later that day. Ugh!  :idiot::sick: Darn paresthesia started slamming me, along with the 'benzo flu'. Bleh!  :crazy:

My diet is gradually getting better. I've added back foods I couldn't tolerate. I'm about to add more starting next week. I think I'm ready for more v ariety in my diet. Constipation is going away, I'm going to stop the daily psyllium fiber in oatmeal for breakfast. Hoping to ditch the oatmeal for cold cereal, and even EGGS! Acid reflux still there, but it's much less. I'm waiting for the day I can eat spaghetti and meatballs. I think it may be sooner than later, as I move into Post-Acute this week.

Still having floaty-boaty, dizzy, unsteady, etc, etc, etc.  >:( Tinnitus is lessening. Headaches are very rare, and very short-lived. Sleep is still not the best, but it is improving. I'm planning on weaning off the gabapentin next. Currently I'm weaning off the baclofen. Taking 5 mg instead of 10 mg, will be stopping that completely next week. I will have been on it for around 6 weeks, which is well withing the limit before you risk dependency ( 2 months). The dose is low, so like the Redditer who used it short term, I shouldn't have any issues. I don't think it is doing much of anything at this point. Time to get off.

Tackle gabapentin next, Belsomra will be the easiest. No weaning, tapering, just stop. Might have a few sleepless nights initially, but many don't for more than a day or two. Right now, it's helping, plus, I have more than a two month supply here. I'm seriously toying with c/t'ing of gabapentin with a iontophoresis NAD+ assist. It enabled Shamo to jump off a far higher dose of pregabalin. Undecided at this point.  :-\ 

I will be doing another round of NAD+ next week. I know I promised to update this thread with my protocol. I've been struggling with feeling like crap, having less than ideal sleep due to this, and am just not cognitively there yet. It doesn't appear anybody is thinking of doing this right now, and that may be the best. I don't want anybody to rush into this process without doing their homework. It's not for everybody. It wasn't easy at first. But it is getting better.

I started jamming to music this past week. Dusted (literally) off my stereo system, and getting my groove on. Found my subwoofer died. Bought a new on, arrived yesterday, hooked up today. More wattage than the old one. The floor moves and the walls shake.  :laugh: Tinnitus isn't so noticeable with the music blaring. Jars of Clay never sounded so good. I can feel that low hum in the opening of "LIquid" moving across the room. My old Denon receiver I bought in the late 1990's, still bangs! Old subwoofer was an Aiwa 42 watt that belonged to my late father. New one is a 60 watt Yamaha. It's got "oomph", blows the Aiwa away.  :thumbsup:

Of course, all this music playing is improving my mood, getting me wanting to get up and do things. I'm singing along to Jars of Clay, and driving the hooligans (my 2 cats) a bit nuts. Their wondering what happened, I'm not lying down so frequently during the day. Not shifting around in bed at night. Not sitting here in the chair crying at times in sheer frustration.  :'(

Oh, I'm having WINDOWS! Lots of windows, not just glimpses here and there, but hours of them. I'm sure those hours will soon become days. Days will become weeks. Weeks will eventually become months.

I really see what NFN, Shamo, and fighterk said about NAD+. Each week keeps getting better, day by day things overall continue to improve, Setbacks are short-lived. I'm still learning how to pace myself.  :)

Congratulations! You took a well educated risk and it ks paying off for you. After this medical mismanagement you should be very very proud. I have been using the spray but not feel any difference whatsoever.

Congratulations! You took a well educated risk and it ks paying off for you. After this medical mismanagement you should be very very proud. I have been using the spray but not feel any difference whatsoever.

It was very risky, but yes, it paid off. I can breathe a sigh of relief. Until a couple of days ago, I was wondering how long Acute would last. I started having small Windows, little glimpses of what is ahead. They really hit today. Mind you, I am not symptom-free, but things are improving so rapidly. Mentally, I am doing pretty good, physically, it's getting there. Still having symptoms, got bad yesterday, I hit a Wave that made me feel like I did a week ago. This process is SO unpredictable, that's for sure.

Out Darth Benzo.  :tickedoff:  Get. Out. Now.  :oXo:  The Force is with ME!  :angel:

It was very risky, but yes, it paid off. I can breathe a sigh of relief. Until a couple of days ago, I was wondering how long Acute would last. I started having small Windows, little glimpses of what is ahead. They really hit today. Mind you, I am not symptom-free, but things are improving so rapidly. Mentally, I am doing pretty good, physically, it's getting there. Still having symptoms, got bad yesterday, I hit a Wave that made me feel like I did a week ago. This process is SO unpredictable, that's for sure.

Out Darth Benzo.  :tickedoff:  Get. Out. Now.  :oXo:  The Force is with ME!  :angel:

Hi Lottie and everyone else.

Sorry I disappeared.  I have been dealing with this darn 4mm kidney stone and it won’t pass, and I just haven’t felt like being on BB’s.  I have been to the ER 3x’s UGH.  I have an appointment on the 1st and if it hasn’t passed by then, they may have to intervene  :'.  I guess 20% don’t pass on their own.  My last one on the right side (3mm) passed w/in a few days…hmmm?  Anyway  :tickedoff:

I read through and caught up.  I am soooo happy for you and I am definitely still very interested in doing this in the future as soon as I am over this kidney stone crap.  I didn’t start my NAD+ yet, just because of what I am going through…just in case I had a bad reaction or something. I am just a little afraid.  Just as soon as this passes, I will try and if all goes well and if it works for me, I am 100% in.  I would rather suffer for a few weeks too and be done with this benzo poison leash and get on the road to recovery and get my life back.

You are such an inspiration and I am so thankful that you shared ALL of what you have gone through!  This helps to prepare myself (if the NAD+ spray works for me) and get my mind right.  I do think if we can get our minds in the right place, we can do just about anything.  So thank you, again!

Marie  :smitten: