The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

Hi I'm old new here. Glad your doing better. 💕

That's something I was just wondering, it's blowing my mind.

I don't know if it's different since I have DR & visual distortions, MS, & am trying to wean caffeine, but

Was wondering, do other people have like one relatively good functional day, then get 2 or more barely functional, completely fatigued, extra cog fogged, depressed, can't push through it, need to rest in bed days?

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

Yes Scardie, that is pretty common.  Annoying, but any good time is wonderful  :D

I don't know if it's different since I have DR & visual distortions, MS, & am trying to wean caffeine, but

Was wondering, do other people have like one relatively good functional day, then get 2 or more barely functional, completely fatigued, extra cog fogged, depressed, can't push through it, need to rest in bed days?

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

Yes Scardie, that is pretty common.  Annoying, but any good time is wonderful  :D

Thanks Mary. Yes, will take & cherish any good moments, for sure.

But to clarify, even after holding for 1.5 months, one can still have these drastic switches?

Also, maybe dumb question, but does as long as I have DR visual distortions, in your opinion indicate that I'm in withdrawl? Like some people have said they had it through their whole taper down.

🌈😘

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry so many of us are suffering, including myself.  The anxiety and chest pain were so bad on Monday I went to urgent care.  They sent me to ER.  I waited in line 20 minutes to get to the check in desk.  This, even though the doctor at urgent care called to let them know I needed to be seen immediately.

Once checked in I waited in a crowded waiting room until I was called to a window for vital signs.  More waiting then an EGG, back to waiting room.  Later called for chest x-ray then back to waiting room.  Another twenty minutes then called for blood draw, back to an even more crowded waiting room.  Not everyone was wearing a mask.  I waited another two hours and then left.  I felt like if I was going to die, I'd rather be home.

At home I tried various remedies and got the chest pain under control.  The anxiety was through the roof, so because I had an early appt with my cardiologist in the morning, I took a rescue dose of Ativan.  Then three hours later I took another.  I fell asleep and slept all night.  No pounding heart, blood pressure normal, no GI sx.  I was tired.  This lasted until 2 am yesterday then woke at two as usual.

My heart is fine, one very minimal change in echo and he wants to do another in a year.  It was caused by the high BP.  He said it was a benzo sx, took me off Clonidine and put me on Carvedilol.  Today my BP is normal, I  hope it works for the pounding heart, he thinks it will.

Monday I see my primary about this digestive issue.  In the meantime it is soft, small bland meals eaten very slowly.  I'm losing weight everyday.  My size 8 jeans which got covid snug are now loose having lost 13 lbs so far.

I've been up since 1 am. 

JWL, so sorry about the rage issue, how awful that must have been.  I have not had that but have had severe annoyance, lack of sleep for months really takes it's toll.

Stut your memory amazes me, I wish mine were even 50% of yours.  Covid increasing here too.  My daughter works in a school.  Her district has ordered all students return to class full time.  Masks and distancing are not required, staff not allowed to remind these children to wash their hands.  My daughter said two staff members have now been diagnosed with Covid.  She is terrified.  All you parents know how stressful it is when one of your children is under so much pressure and stress.

Scardie I can so relate to the cog fog.  My brain is like oatmeal.

Sorry this is so lengthy.  Trishy and I are distracting by watching Hallmark Christmas movies. 

I love you all and pray that things will settle down soon for you.  Ginger

Ginger I just got to read this. I'm sorry your anxiety was so bad that you ended in the ER. There's so little we can say to someone going through that. If it's benzo anxiety there's nothing much to do. If there's a psychological factor, when I'm really really freaking out I use the DARE app. I just use the free version which is good enough. It has gotten me through a couple very stressful situations. I hope you're feeling better. I'm almost sure your daughter will be ok as she's not in the risk groups, but I know that as a mum "almost sure" is never enough. I hope you can get out in your garden soon.

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

But to clarify, even after holding for 1.5 months, one can still have these drastic switches?

Also, maybe dumb question, but does as long as I have DR visual distortions, in your opinion indicate that I'm in withdrawl? Like some people have said they had it through their whole taper down.

🌈😘

A month and 1/2 is really a very short hold, so definitely you could still be having those switches.

And yes, imo, the DR visual distortion could be a wd symptom too. I told you all the trouble I have had with my eyes and still do.  And reminder, a Hold can take months , we always hope it won't, but it often does.  :). Mary 🙋🏼

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

🌈😘

A month and 1/2 is really a very short hold, so definitely you could still be having those switches.

And yes, imo, the DR visual distortion could be a wd symptom too. I told you all the trouble I have had with my eyes and still do.  And reminder, a Hold can take months , we always hope it won't, but it often does.  :). Mary 🙋🏼

Thanks Mary. Yes, I wasn't clear that all of your eye issues were due to benzos? I here you. Can be hard to hold....

So in this hold, I'm taking all of my daytime .25 Xanax doses, anxious or not, tired & cog fogged or not, same times every 4 hrs.

In reference to this, I made a post in withdrawl support about how to tell the difference Of when sxs of fatigue, cog fog, sedation, are from being over medicated vs a withdrawl sx vs possible caffeine withdrawl or other cause? If anyone has input on how to tell? Cause I'm just trying to hold a steady dose, but it sometimes feels too much & with the DR & cog fog, it's hard fir me to tell.

Do you have thoughts on this? If I continue to feel oversedated, Zombie, flatlined, wouldn't it be worth trying a small cut off one of my day time Xanax?

Thx🙂

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

🌈😘

Thanks Mary. Yes, I wasn't clear that all of your eye issues were due to benzos? I here you. Can be hard to hold....

So in this hold, I'm taking all of my daytime .25 Xanax doses, anxious or not, tired & cog fogged or not, same times every 4 hrs.

In reference to this, I made a post in withdrawl support about how to tell the difference Of when sxs of fatigue, cog fog, sedation, are from being over medicated vs a withdrawl sx vs possible caffeine withdrawl or other cause? If anyone has input on how to tell? Cause I'm just trying to hold a steady dose, but it sometimes feels too much & with the DR & cog fog, it's hard fir me to tell.

Do you have thoughts on this? If I continue to feel oversedated, Zombie, flatlined, wouldn't it be worth trying a small cut off one of my day time Xanax?

Thx🙂

You could try a small cut, your body may be ready .  It does sound like you are getting too much med, but please also try to be lowering that caffeine.  A tiny cut.  You know at this point, you really aren't in wd because you haven't been cutting your meds.  You are more than likely in tolerance.  Which means the meds are no longer working like they once did.  So you can start having symptoms just like wd.  I am sorry I was using wrong terminology.  Now once you start cutting, the symptoms will be wd.  I know that sounds confusing but it really isn't.  Tolerance is before you start cutting and your body thinks it needs more drugs to get the same feeling you had in the beginning and withdrawal is when your body is loosing some of the benzo and is fighting to stabilize.  Does that make sense?

Even in a hold?

Hope all are well

XX

SC

🌈😘

Thx🙂

You could try a small cut, your body may be ready .  It does sound like you are getting too much med, but please also try to be lowering that caffeine.  A tiny cut.  You know at this point, you really aren't in wd because you haven't been cutting your meds.  You are more than likely in tolerance.  Which means the meds are no longer working like they once did.  So you can start having symptoms just like wd.  I am sorry I was using wrong terminology.  Now once you start cutting, the symptoms will be wd.  I know that sounds confusing but it really isn't.  Tolerance is before you start cutting and your body thinks it needs more drugs to get the same feeling you had in the beginning and withdrawal is when your body is loosing some of the benzo and is fighting to stabilize.  Does that make sense?

Ok, so helpful. THANK YOU, Mary. Check on the caffeine lowering. It's a delicate balance. I had to read 3 times(as I'm more tired in eve) & will again, but yes, that makes sense.

So, I never got anyone to respond to if I cut percentage & amounts of each benzo separately? And one at a time, I presume?  Like EG. 5% off kpin for 3weeks only & or .0625MgX off X fir 3 weeks? Is that correct example when tapering 2 benzos? So...

My schedule:

6am .25X

10am .25X

2pm .25X

6pm .25X

Bed 1X, 1.5K

Do you think trying to Quarter a .25X & cut .0625x off one of my later day time doses would be too much?

If I can get an accurate cut?

Someone else in my same manufacturer said they were able to get accurate quarters of their pills without weighing.

So much thanks again.

Hope you have a good night.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Fading.....

❤️

Hi all, I haven’t been here in ages but just checked back in and hope everyone is hanging in there! I’m still holding from my last cut (which was too much too quick but also before I found this board and all the helpful suggestions 💗) Also wanted to mention to Scaredie that I’m also weaning myself off xanax and there doesn’t seem to be many of us so I’m here in solidarity! ☺️ I’ve been feeling good holding but one thing I’ve tried to do recently is push my first dose out further in the day instead of cutting. I take my second dose at bedtime so that seems to be working for me right now. Good luck everyone! xo.

Gildthelily you're very welcome back to this group. I'm sure I joined it after you left because I think I've never read your posts, but it's so nice to meet new LONG HOLDERS. By the way there are other xanax taperers I think.

Scaredie, by your signature I can't figure out how long you've been holding your dose. When was your last cut?

Scardie, .0625 divided by 3.5% = 1.78 % of your daily dose, which sounds like a good first cut.

Then wait to see how you feel.    Did you find anyone to give you advice on cutting both, or just one benzo at a time, which is what I think you should do.  The k has the longest half life, so imo, I would cut the X , then the K.  Good luck, I know this is a big step for you.  Really hoping this goes pretty easy and then you maybe able to go faster, but start out slow.. ;)  :smitten:

Scardie,

I agree with Mary.  I think cutting one at a time would be best with Xanax first and then Klonopin.  Once you have licked the Xanax I would wait to start the Klonipin taper until you feel stable and then some.  I have heard it is best to wait six months before beginning tapering another med.

Start small cuts, you can always increase them later if you have no or minimal sx.  It's better to remain as stable as you can.  Once you reach a severe instability it can take many months of holding to reach stability again.

Best of luck.  Low and slow and you will win this battle. Ginger

Hi all, I haven’t been here in ages but just checked back in and hope everyone is hanging in there! I’m still holding from my last cut (which was too much too quick but also before I found this board and all the helpful suggestions 💗) Also wanted to mention to Scaredie that I’m also weaning myself off xanax and there doesn’t seem to be many of us so I’m here in solidarity! ☺️ I’ve been feeling good holding but one thing I’ve tried to do recently is push my first dose out further in the day instead of cutting. I take my second dose at bedtime so that seems to be working for me right now. Good luck everyone! xo.

Gild,

Nice to meet you. Thanks for reaching out & sharing. Glad you're feeling well. 😊

Gildthelily you're very welcome back to this group. I'm sure I joined it after you left because I think I've never read your posts, but it's so nice to meet new LONG HOLDERS. By the way there are other xanax taperers I think.

Scaredie, by your signature I can't figure out how long you've been holding your dose. When was your last cut?

I've been holding my x dose since 9/1, after regrettable updose during emergency time of life. It's in my sig.

I hant cut my X, just stabilized.

My last benzo cut was from kpin. .125 cut on 6/12 & have held k @1.5 since then.

Scardie, .0625 divided by 3.5% = 1.78 % of your daily dose, which sounds like a good first cut.

Then wait to see how you feel.    Did you find anyone to give you advice on cutting both, or just one benzo at a time, which is what I think you should do.  The k has the longest half life, so imo, I would cut the X , then the K.  Good luck, I know this is a big step for you.  Really hoping this goes pretty easy and then you maybe able to go faster, but start out slow.. ;)  :smitten:

Thank you, Mary. I don't understand the math, but appreciate you sharing it. I'm awful with the math calculation stuff. No consistent advice on tapering 2 meds, yet. I agree cut one at a time & about the half life. One said to cut the one I'm least tolerant to last, I think, which would be xanax, I think, hard to say with DR, but that gets rid of my long half Life help of k.

I Havnt had help laying out any Sort of plan, big picture, yet.

A couple of nice people have shared how they each cut their x & the other their k.im very grateful for.

In gratitude

SC❤️

Scardie,

I agree with Mary.  I think cutting one at a time would be best with Xanax first and then Klonopin.  Once you have licked the Xanax I would wait to start the Klonipin taper until you feel stable and then some.  I have heard it is best to wait six months before beginning tapering another med.

Start small cuts, you can always increase them later if you have no or minimal sx.  It's better to remain as stable as you can.  Once you reach a severe instability it can take many months of holding to reach stability again.

Best of luck.  Low and slow and you will win this battle. Ginger

Much thanks Ginger!

That's sounds like a good plan.

The simplest.

I guess I should start a notebook writing things down.

I don't understand percentages & other math, at all...

Take care,

SC

😊

Scardie, have you read the Ashton manual? There's a reason they recommend a cross over to Valium. It has a long half life which reduces interdose withdrawal and make long holds possible. As far as tolerance I don't think you need to worry about that once you start tapering. Is tolerance the reason you started tapering? Were you experiencing withdrawal symptoms before you started tapering?

I don’t know if I would be considered Long Hold yet, but need advice.  Tapering from 0.5 mg Xanax three times daily .  Have cut (probably too fast) to taking two daily.  A whole pill in early , then one half at  1 p.m. and the other half at  8 p.m.  Am on day 16.  Symptoms not awful, but  not easy.  Joined this great group and learned that I had probably cut too much initially, but do not want to go back up .  How long should I stay at this dose before tapering again?  Was thinking  two more weeks then a smaller cut?  Am also awful at math, have just been cutting pills .  Thank you all so much.  Is it normal that I don’t want to leave house at all and don’t want to talk to anyone? 

Scardie, have you read the Ashton manual? There's a reason they recommend a cross over to Valium. It has a long half life which reduces interdose withdrawal and make long holds possible. As far as tolerance I don't think you need to worry about that once you start tapering. Is tolerance the reason you started tapering? Were you experiencing withdrawal symptoms before you started tapering?

Jwl,

I Havnt read ashton recently. But I understand the gist of it. I'm on 2 benzs. X & k. Klonopin is long acting itself.  I considered crossing to valium, but, it's been not recommended for those with depression & is a risk & many don't do well on it, & I'm still on quite high dose. Finally, current pdoc wouldn't cross me to enough to equal my 2 benzos.

I'm in a tricky situation. I'm having daily DR with visual distortions, 24/7. From people I've shared with it's presumed I'm in tolerance withdrawl, at least from klonopin, I think. I don't have many withdrawl sxs besides the DR visual distortions. I have depression, fatigue, irritability, mood swings, but am also trying to replace coffee with synthetic caffeine water-messing with me & lending to some of those sxs. So it's confusing. I feel I'm walking a tightrope & one wrong move, playing around with switching meds & things could get worse.

The reason I first came on bb a couple of years ago, was that I realized benzos could be adversely affecting my mental & physical health. I then had to tend to other health issues & was away, always wanting to taper but never making much progress & now I'm back? I'll post a link, if you care to read that might explain my situation a bit more. Answer your questions. Once you click on the first link, if you then click on the second link on that post, it will take you to my first post that I made upon this most recent time on bbs.

Thx for caring I hope you are well.

Oops. Here's link again.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=246849.msg3141974#msg3141974

I don’t know if I would be considered Long Hold yet, but need advice.  Tapering from 0.5 mg Xanax three times daily .  Have cut (probably too fast) to taking two daily.  A whole pill in early , then one half at  1 p.m. and the other half at  8 p.m.  Am on day 16.  Symptoms not awful, but  not easy.  Joined this great group and learned that I had probably cut too much initially, but do not want to go back up .  How long should I stay at this dose before tapering again?  Was thinking  two more weeks then a smaller cut?  Am also awful at math, have just been cutting pills .  Thank you all so much.  Is it normal that I don’t want to leave house at all and don’t want to talk to anyone?

Save, you should gage your cuts on how you feel.  You want to stabilize as much as possible, by stabilize we mean your symptoms are tolerable not gone, then you consider cutting again.  That was a big cut, a very big cut 33%.  You are lucky you aren't in pretty bad shape.  We don't have any of your drug history so it's hard for us to give you the support you need.  I would , imo, do between 5 and 7% every few weeks but always letting your symptoms be you guide.  How much to cut and how long you take between cuts.  Good luck!!  We are always here  :) Mary.  Oh and we can always help with math  ;)

Thank you, Mary. I don't understand the math, but appreciate you sharing it. I'm awful with the math calculation stuff. No consistent advice on tapering 2 meds, yet. I agree cut one at a time & about the half life. One said to cut the one I'm least tolerant to last, I think, which would be xanax, I think, hard to say with DR, but that gets rid of my long half Life help of k.

A couple of nice people have shared how they each cut their x & the other their k.im very grateful for.

In gratitude

SC❤️

Hi Mary,

Hope you're having a good day.

I'm suddenly freaking out about all of these upcoming Drs appointments & not wanting to risk being worse beforehand. Ugh, they are piling up. So, I might continue to hold till I get through them. Not sure. At least the ones this week. (I'm telling pdoc my sxs this week. Then nuero soon, too.  Please wish me luck.)

Then take it one day at a time. I still need to practice quartering these pills.

I hate to ask, but, when if you get a chance, could you explain that math to me?

Are you saying .0625 is 1.78% of my 2mg daily Xanax dose?

I don't understand where you got the 3.5%?

In gratitude, SC❤️

I've been holding my x dose since 9/1, after regrettable updose during emergency time of life. It's in my sig.

My last benzo cut was from kpin. .125 cut on 6/12 & have held k @1.5 since then.

Hi Scaredie. I don't know what to say. Since june it is a reasonable hold for the K, but holding the X sice september is hardly a hold. I don't know anything about tapering two benzos so I don't dare say anything. What I do believe in general is that if there are bad wd symptoms I prefer to hold than to cut. But this is just my take because it's worked for me. At the end of the day, you have to ask your brin what's best for it. :smitten:

Hi Scaredie. I don't know what to say. Since june it is a reasonable hold for the K, but holding the X sice september is hardly a hold. I don't know anything about tapering two benzos so I don't dare say anything. What I do believe in general is that if there are bad wd symptoms I prefer to hold than to cut. But this is just my take because it's worked for me. At the end of the day, you have to ask your brin what's best for it. :smitten:

Vali,

Thanks for getting back & for trying to help. Yes, I'm trying to get a feel for what's a withdrawl sx vs what's an over medicated side effect vs what's a caffeine water side effect/or w/d...etc

Since I've had DR visual distortions for months, it's presumed I'm in tolerance.

I don't expect a big response. Just trying to fill you in a bit.

:smitten:

Vali,

Thanks for getting back & for trying to help. Yes, I'm trying to get a feel for what's a withdrawl sx vs what's an over medicated side effect vs what's a caffeine water side effect/or w/d...etc

Since I've had DR visual distortions for months, it's presumed I'm in tolerance.

I don't expect a big response. Just trying to fill you in a bit.

:smitten:

I had DR for months and just started improving on month 7 of my hold. Still improving. I only have DR now when under a huge amount of stress ie last August when a very conflictive tenant was leaving my apt and I had to deal with that. DR left probably around month 5-7 of holding. That's how it went for me. Of course, I came from a terrible place so I needed a very long hold. I still believe I need to hold as I'm still improving month after month. Sometimes backwards but then two steps forward.

In gratitude

SC❤️

Hi Mary,

Hope you're having a good day.

I'm suddenly freaking out about all of these upcoming Drs appointments & not wanting to risk being worse beforehand. Ugh, they are piling up. So, I might continue to hold till I get through them. Not sure. At least the ones this week. (I'm telling pdoc my sxs this week. Then nuero soon, too.  Please wish me luck.)

Then take it one day at a time. I still need to practice quartering these pills.

I hate to ask, but, when if you get a chance, could you explain that math to me?

Are you saying .0625 is 1.78% of my 2mg daily Xanax dose?

I don't understand where you got the 3.5%?

In gratitude, SC❤️

I don't blame you at all for wanting to wait until Dr's appointments are over.  I often hold off when I have something coming up.  You  work your math with all the benzo you are taking, not just part, even if it's 2 different kinds.  ;)

[80...]