The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

So you people like animals huh? Come to my back yard. I have deer all the time, yes thank you beautiful deer for my tick bite in June :tickedoff: ok I still love them they're beautiful :laugh: I also have Fox, raccoons, chipmunks galore,squirrels, turkeys, had a duck for awhile swimming in my pool :laugh: :laugh: and yes even bears in the neighborhood but I didn't see them. I'm pretty sure I heard one on my deck though last year :D

So you're all welcome to come to my zoo  :laugh: :laugh:

You literally do have a animal farm.  How did you get a tick from the deer?  You obviously didn’t go pet him, did you?  They are all so cute.  Chipmunks and squirrels.  You’ll have to leave some acorn nuts out for them.  🤣

Hello Long Hold Group-

I am seriously considering a long hold and wonder if you all can share how it has helped you. I have been doing a slow micro taper for many years and also a slow micro taper off an AD that took two years. When I got lower on the AD this spring things went bad and I reinstated a low amount of it at 1.5 mg. SI went away but still have many other symptoms and only semi functional around the house. I want to get more stable and functional so considering a long hold to do that. Thanks for any input.

Hi Jl,

The way holding has helped me is it allowed me to stabalize and be functional. I have done very well with holding. Actually I could never get off my Xanax without holds. I live my life normally and generally feel very good. For me holding has done wonders. Going to fast not holding long enough has only landed me in misery. My motto is go low and slow. It can be very hard to hold but I swear by it.

Good luck in your decision. I think you'll find that you will only benefit from holding.

Trishy

That is such great news Trishy. So happy it has worked for you. Hoping for it to get me functional as well. How long have you held to get relief. I can’t tell by your signature.

Thanks again! 😘

Hi JL, I have been Part of this group for a year now (tapering and long holds) and didn’t know really know much about “long holds” until I learned from these folks.  I did a fast taper and it caught up to me and I, with my Dr consent, held Valium at 5mg for 5 months.  And I had symptoms bad at first and just held until I stabilized with the symptoms.  Physically and mentally.  I tried to make a single cut like how I did it before (.5mg every two weeks) and it kicked my butt.  So I switched to micro taper.  I go super slow and have intermittent holds.  Now I’m in a hold.  As long as it takes for me to get “mostly” stable and then start up. It might be a couple months or so.  Idk.  I learned from reading here and hearing others’ experience and from my own that slow and steady and holds work.  For me it gives my brain, central nervous system and physiology to steadily adjust to the decrease rather than dropping an atomic bomb on it.  Doesn’t mean I don’t have waves - I don’t know if there is anyway around it.  Some people are fortunate that way where they can do a relatively fast easy taper.  Me, not so much. 

Good luck to you.  Hope this helps.  I’m sure you’ll get some good advice from some of the others here. And nice to meet you. 

Meems

Major Benzo brain tonight.  Realized I was late to Olive Kitties “bear”, Trishy’s animal farm and her “tick” bite from the deer.  I’m having trouble tonight Concentrating and reading.  Ugh - Benzo brain sucks. 

Meems

Jen, holds are different for everyone.  Some can take months to really start working, others a few weeks.  But you need to hold, don't change any meds or change amount of your dose.    Hold everything and hold tight.  Trishy does have great luck with her holds, mine have not worked as well but did work some.  Everyone is again, different.  Good luck, we will be here for you!!  🙋🏼🙋🏼🙋🏼

Mary ♥️

Thanks Mary!

Hello Long Hold Group-

I am seriously considering a long hold and wonder if you all can share how it has helped you. I have been doing a slow micro taper for many years and also a slow micro taper off an AD that took two years. When I got lower on the AD this spring things went bad and I reinstated a low amount of it at 1.5 mg. SI went away but still have many other symptoms and only semi functional around the house. I want to get more stable and functional so considering a long hold to do that. Thanks for any input.

Hi Jl,

The way holding has helped me is it allowed me to stabalize and be functional. I have done very well with holding. Actually I could never get off my Xanax without holds. I live my life normally and generally feel very good. For me holding has done wonders. Going to fast not holding long enough has only landed me in misery. My motto is go low and slow. It can be very hard to hold but I swear by it.

Good luck in your decision. I think you'll find that you will only benefit from holding.

Trishy

That is such great news Trishy. So happy it has worked for you. Hoping for it to get me functional as well. How long have you held to get relief. I can’t tell by your signature.

Thanks again! 😘

Hi JL, I have been Part of this group for a year now (tapering and long holds) and didn’t know really know much about “long holds” until I learned from these folks.  I did a fast taper and it caught up to me and I, with my Dr consent, held Valium at 5mg for 5 months.  And I had symptoms bad at first and just held until I stabilized with the symptoms.  Physically and mentally.  I tried to make a single cut like how I did it before (.5mg every two weeks) and it kicked my butt.  So I switched to micro taper.  I go super slow and have intermittent holds.  Now I’m in a hold.  As long as it takes for me to get “mostly” stable and then start up. It might be a couple months or so.  Idk.  I learned from reading here and hearing others’ experience and from my own that slow and steady and holds work.  For me it gives my brain, central nervous system and physiology to steadily adjust to the decrease rather than dropping an atomic bomb on it.  Doesn’t mean I don’t have waves - I don’t know if there is anyway around it.  Some people are fortunate that way where they can do a relatively fast easy taper.  Me, not so much. 

Good luck to you.  Hope this helps.  I’m sure you’ll get some good advice from some of the others here. And nice to meet you. 

Meems

Thanks Meems

I really think after tapering two drugs at once my body could use the hold. Looking forward to getting my CNS stabilized!

Yesterday I was working at my home office (my room) and I looked out the window and saw a young buck across the creek, and then a black squirrel ran up a tree near him and I was thinking about how lucky I am to live in such beauty! We see raccoons, coyotes, birds of all kinds, will turkeys, lots of deer. No bears though!

Hi- OliveKitty

I am new here and considering holding to stabilize and get some what a life back. I see by your signature you held over a year and you are working. That is so great! Congratulations! Are you generally feeling well these days? Were you in a much better place when you started tapering again after your long hold?

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen! Welcome to LHSG. Yes, I really benefitted from holding a year and a half. I had been pretty steadily tapering before that and I was never able to really stabilize. So I decided to hold at 2mg for as long as it took me to feel myself again. And when it was time to start tapering again, I just knew. I didn't feel 100% but I had that little swing in my step again. And the last 2mg was a breeze in comparison to the previous 3 years of tapering. And then when I jumped, I just walked right off.

I am working, I was fortunate to get a work from home job almost 2 years ago. There were many days that I worked from bed, but it was so awesome to be able to work again. I had taken a year off during my acute phase and I was pretty far in debt and back living with my mom at 42 years old.

As Mary said, everyone is different and a 'long' hold to one is a short hold to another. I think that to benefit from a long hold it needs to be at least a month, much more in many cases. Maybe try holding and see how you feel after a month. Others will chime in I'm sure!

Major Benzo brain tonight.  Realized I was late to Olive Kitties “bear”, Trishy’s animal farm and her “tick” bite from the deer.  I’m having trouble tonight Concentrating and reading.  Ugh - Benzo brain sucks. 

Meems

Yeah Meems it was just a photo I found on the internet, I think the bear looks so cute in that hot tub! He is really enjoying it! Oh, a hot tub sounds so nice right now!! I wish. Sorry you are having benzo brain. You are in good company!

Meems

Yeah Meems it was just a photo I found on the internet, I think the bear looks so cute in that hot tub! He is really enjoying it! Oh, a hot tub sounds so nice right now!! I wish. Sorry you are having benzo brain. You are in good company!

Thanks 🙏 Olive Kitty.  He’s adorable 😍!  Lots O love to you.  Meems! 

Yesterday I was working at my home office (my room) and I looked out the window and saw a young buck across the creek, and then a black squirrel ran up a tree near him and I was thinking about how lucky I am to live in such beauty! We see raccoons, coyotes, birds of all kinds, will turkeys, lots of deer. No bears though!

Hi- OliveKitty

I am new here and considering holding to stabilize and get some what a life back. I see by your signature you held over a year and you are working. That is so great! Congratulations! Are you generally feeling well these days? Were you in a much better place when you started tapering again after your long hold?

Thanks,

Jen

Hi Jen! Welcome to LHSG. Yes, I really benefitted from holding a year and a half. I had been pretty steadily tapering before that and I was never able to really stabilize. So I decided to hold at 2mg for as long as it took me to feel myself again. And when it was time to start tapering again, I just knew. I didn't feel 100% but I had that little swing in my step again. And the last 2mg was a breeze in comparison to the previous 3 years of tapering. And then when I jumped, I just walked right off.

I am working, I was fortunate to get a work from home job almost 2 years ago. There were many days that I worked from bed, but it was so awesome to be able to work again. I had taken a year off during my acute phase and I was pretty far in debt and back living with my mom at 42 years old.

As Mary said, everyone is different and a 'long' hold to one is a short hold to another. I think that to benefit from a long hold it needs to be at least a month, much more in many cases. Maybe try holding and see how you feel after a month. Others will chime in I'm sure!

Thank you Olive-

I held for three weeks when I reinstated the AD. It didn’t do much so I just kept tapering. I am thinking of committing to 3 months just to get my Adrenaline/ Cortisol down and then reassess at the three month mark.

That is so great you got a work from home job. I have been looking for something like that so I could do it from my bed in the bad days. Sounds great. I too had to move in with my parents for a year in 2017 while in acute from a c/t.

So you people like animals huh? Come to my back yard. I have deer all the time, yes thank you beautiful deer for my tick bite in June :tickedoff: ok I still love them they're beautiful :laugh: I also have Fox, raccoons, chipmunks galore,squirrels, turkeys, had a duck for awhile swimming in my pool :laugh: :laugh: and yes even bears in the neighborhood but I didn't see them. I'm pretty sure I heard one on my deck though last year :D

You literally do have a animal farm.  How did you get a tick from the deer?  You obviously didn’t go pet him, did you?  They are all so cute.  Chipmunks and squirrels.  You’ll have to leave some acorn nuts out for them.  🤣

I do Meem's! I forgot to mention the bunnies that are frequently in my yard.

I'm assuming my tick bite was from the deer bc I have a lot of them that visit my yard. I have had up to 8 at one time. My house is in a very wooded area. My house borders a good stretch of woods so that's why we have a lot of wild life. It's actually nice bc I can sit out on my deck and just stare at the woods and whatever creatures happen to be around. We have a lot of Cardinals and crows, oh I love the crows they are beautiful. They look like black satin :D However being in a wooded area I get things I don't like such as mice! :tickedoff: Bees :tickedoff: Carpenter ants, ticks! :tickedoff: I have spent a small fortune in exterminators. Those damn mice find a way in every fall. We think they are getting in under the garage door. There was a small gap between garage door and the floor so my husband cemented and made it more level so the door meets the floor evenly. Fingers crossed they don't get in that way this year when it starts to get cold.  :)

Hello Long Hold Group-

Hi Jl,

Trishy

Thanks again! 😘

Hi jl,

So I once held for 6 months in June 2018 to December 2018. Then another long hold for me was a 5 month hold in December 2019 to May 2020. I was trying to move along every two weeks after my first long hold of 6 months but that only landed me in big trouble. I had horrible sxs from doing that. The cuts were cumulative and over time really caught up to me. I just can't cut every couple of weeks, it's more like every few or couple of months now. :)

I would love all those animals Trishy  :laugh: :laugh:  We have taken over their living space so we need to accept as many of them as we can.  Where I use to work , it was built in a beautiful area , lots of woods, and we saw foxes, coyotes, squirrels, raccoons, peacocks....you never knew what you were going to see....  road runners  :laugh: 

Road runners!  :D  What's up doc? 🐰🥕 :laugh: :laugh:

Very true, they don't leave any land alone these days they just build, build, build and our poor creatures are driven from their homes and have no where to go  :tickedoff:

G0, I have weird vibrations in my head too. Plus feels like blocked ears pressure and dizziness. I popped my ears and thought I was going to pass out. I hope you feel better if not go to the doctor. Love you suzy

Thanks for your thoughts DD.  Hope you are well.  Sometimes I worry if i tell my Docs too much.  Personally I'm 99% sure it's BWD.  Most of the times it goes away pretty quickly.

Good morning LHSG

I’m getting really odd head rushes when I stand up.  I have felt very dizzy and my brain feels like it’s vibrating.  I checked my HR and it was 137 then quickly goes back to low 50s.  Any ideas?

That's what it sounds like to me too, GP. Does it happen when you stand up? BTW, did you ever ask your doc about LDN? A good book is: The LDN Book by Linda Elsegood.

Thanks for your reply JWL.  I'm reading up on POTS.  I notice Ativan causes a lot of POTS sxs.  No I haven't  seen my Doc yet to discuss LDN but I will check out the book.  Thsnks.

Trina and Tallgolfer, you ladies can do this. While going through it and symptoms are revved up, remember that your brain is lying to you... and that it’s not going to last forever.... Once your period stops you will be out of the trenches and the awful feelings and symptoms will ease up again. The day after my period ended, I couldn’t believe what a wreck I had been... all the awful thoughts I had... and how bad the symptoms got... hang in there... it’s just a few days..

I am sure this has been covered in this group but could you share your opinion on tolerance please. Could holding for an extended period of time put you back in tolerance and suffer more withdrawal because of it?

Thank you everyone!

Jen, this is a highly discussed topic and people all have different opinions.

IMO, tolerance is only before you begin tapering.  When your brain needs more and more drugs to give you the same feeling.  But it is also a time , because we didn't know what tolerance was, we start having issues, stomach, pain, all kinds of things, running to the Dr and the Dr finding nothing, because it's the benzo.  Once you have started withdrawing, I don't believe you are ever in tolerance again.  Then it is withdrawal, even if holding. 

I would definitely look in the search engine under your avatar and put tolerance, you will get loads of information.  Plus, I would ask the question on Withdrawal Support.  Lots of opinions, as you go a long you will decide what you believe.  We have so little guidance from Dr's, we have to learn from each other..      🙋🏼🙋🏼😷😘🙏♥️😷😘🙏♥️

Jen, this is a highly discussed topic and people all have different opinions.

IMO, tolerance is only before you begin tapering.  When your brain needs more and more drugs to give you the same feeling.  But it is also a time , because we didn't know what tolerance was, we start having issues, stomach, pain, all kinds of things, running to the Dr and the Dr finding nothing, because it's the benzo.  Once you have started withdrawing, I don't believe you are ever in tolerance again.  Then it is withdrawal, even if holding. 

I would definitely look in the search engine under your avatar and put tolerance, you will get loads of information.  Plus, I would ask the question on Withdrawal Support.  Lots of opinions, as you go a long you will decide what you believe.  We have so little guidance from Dr's, we have to learn from each other..      🙋🏼🙋🏼😷😘🙏♥️😷😘🙏♥️

That makes sense. Thank you Mary!

Well put Mary! I agree 100%. I don't understand how anyone can be in 'tolerance' if they are not at their threshold? Then it is called withdrawal.

Hi guys, I haven't caught up but I just wanted to pop in and drop this video as it seems to give helpful tips to combat anxiety which is really killing me lately due to life circumstances. It seems to help me so I'm posting it for my anxious friends in this group, as there's quite a few of us. Love and peace to all.

I am sure this has been covered in this group but could you share your opinion on tolerance please. Could holding for an extended period of time put you back in tolerance and suffer more withdrawal because of it?

Thank you everyone!

I have been thinking a lot about this in recent weeks. I have been holding at .75 mg for two years ... my original dose pre-taper was 1 mg.

I realize that while I am doing mostly okay, I never really feel good. I continue to have a lot of nausea. I work out regularly and it seems I just can't push as much as I normally do. I still have one or two days a month where I am in bed all day with diarrhea and getting sick to my stomach for hours. Is it the benzo? Is it the mirtazapine I started to get off the benzo and now can't get off of that? Is it hormonal fluctuations from menopause? Do I actually have something wrong that we haven't discovered--I just booked an appointment with another GI but can't get in until October. I have no idea. I would like to feel GOOD. I am tired of not feeling well. I am not even sure I remember what it is like to mostly feel good it has been so long. I started tapering 5 years ago, got down in dose, then had to updose to get some sort of stability to deal with my son's health issues (he is finally doing a bit better by the way!). I am not touching anything until he starts college in a year from now: I just wish I could get to a better place. I have started meditating again, I let that fall by the wayside when lockdown hit and I was never home alone anymore. My husband and son are both still at home all the time but I am trying to set some time aside every day.

Val, it is good to see you posting, hope you are doing well. Hope everyone else is staying safe.

Thank you everyone!

I have been thinking a lot about this in recent weeks. I have been holding at .75 mg for two years ... my original dose pre-taper was 1 mg.

I realize that while I am doing mostly okay, I never really feel good. I continue to have a lot of nausea. I work out regularly and it seems I just can't push as much as I normally do. I still have one or two days a month where I am in bed all day with diarrhea and getting sick to my stomach for hours. Is it the benzo? Is it the mirtazapine I started to get off the benzo and now can't get off of that? Is it hormonal fluctuations from menopause? Do I actually have something wrong that we haven't discovered--I just booked an appointment with another GI but can't get in until October. I have no idea. I would like to feel GOOD. I am tired of not feeling well. I am not even sure I remember what it is like to mostly feel good it has been so long. I started tapering 5 years ago, got down in dose, then had to updose to get some sort of stability to deal with my son's health issues (he is finally doing a bit better by thee way!). I am not touching anything until he starts college in a year from now: I just wish I could get to a better place. I have started meditating again, I let that fall by the wayside when lockdown hit and I was never home alone anymore. My husband and son are both still at home all the time but I am trying to set some time aside every day.

Val, it is good to see you posting, hope you are doing well. Hope everyone else is staying safe.

NJ,  I can't speak for you but after a long hold of 6 months or more, I feel great, completely normal.  Some, however, never feel good on benzos or antidepressants, even small amounts.    Plus, you have been under enormous stress for years now, that alone can cause all the symptoms you listed. 

I do think it's worthwhile to have the symptoms checked out, at least you would know and if something was found, it could be treated.  I'm so sorry you are struggling for so long.  Have you tried an elimination diet too see if you're sensitive to gluten or some other food?  Just a thought. G

[47...]