Forgot how to sleep

[al...]

Update.

Lets start with good news. i defeated sleep anxiety almost completely.Now i can fall asleep easily

And bad news. I returned to my old habits, started eating snaks, too much sugar. And in the matter of days my stomach become bloated and sleep drive almost gone. Maintance insomnia returned in full force.  Its insane how strongly gut issues connected to sleep.  Now my plan is strict diet to the end of my life, i have no other option.  I will report when i have something new to report

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [al...]

• [...]

• [Th...]

• [RS...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Update. Sorry to dissapoint everybody. Everything is bad. I dont know why i cant sleep more than 3 hours per night. Have been sleeping awful the whole week and its getting only worse. My gut issues is under control, no pain or bloating anymore.. I dont have sleep anxiety at all, i fell asleep easily only to wake up with cortison/ adrenaline rush few hours later of broken sleep.  Right now i am sleeping worse then in withdrawal but i dont have any serious withdrawal symptoms, just insomnia, no depression , anxiety, maybe tingling and burning hands on occassion and thats all. Really losing patience here.  If its wave where is other symptoms, i dont get it!  I feel 99% healed except my terrible maintance insomnia. I hope everyone who is reading this post wont have such strange and terrible insomnia waves in late post-withdrawal. I have been training cardio almost everyday for the last month. maybe i am overtrained. And i was watching serials a lot this week, maybe its the case, i dunno. For now plan is , no cardio for one month, only walking, i hope it will help..  And i am really suspect that something else is happening, i mean maybe i am shizoid , or bipolar.

Stress will definitely have an impact, and exercise will stress your nervous system. 

I am an essential worker and recently worked almost three weeks in a row.  I could feel the stress creeping up on me and so I took a couple of days off.  It got me back on track.

Have you been assessed for bipolar disorder?  It’s something to get checked out, but first try resting more.  Let your body relax a bit.

I experience a window and feel so great, but then I overdo it and the waves knock me down. 

Best wishes to you.  Take care of yourself. 

Update. Sorry to dissapoint everybody. Everything is bad. I dont know why i cant sleep more than 3 hours per night. Have been sleeping awful the whole week and its getting only worse. My gut issues is under control, no pain or bloating anymore.. I dont have sleep anxiety at all, i fell asleep easily only to wake up with cortison/ adrenaline rush few hours later of broken sleep.  Right now i am sleeping worse then in withdrawal but i dont have any serious withdrawal symptoms, just insomnia, no depression , anxiety, maybe tingling and burning hands on occassion and thats all. Really losing patience here.  If its wave where is other symptoms, i dont get it!  I feel 99% healed except my terrible maintance insomnia. I hope everyone who is reading this post wont have such strange and terrible insomnia waves in late post-withdrawal. I have been training cardio almost everyday for the last month. maybe i am overtrained. And i was watching serials a lot this week, maybe its the case, i dunno. For now plan is , no cardio for one month, only walking, i hope it will help..  And i am really suspect that something else is happening, i mean maybe i am shizoid , or bipolar.

I can give you hope that this will pass.  I am 19 months off of benzos.

I have your situation.  I can be sleeping rather well and then all of a sudden, I have nights like you describe.  Within 3 days or a week, it passes.

Often, something is triggering the insomnia.  Usually it is anxiety about a situation.

But this last time, it was due to allergy season (the tree pollen).  I get so sick from the tree pollen I cannot sleep.  So I start taking lots of antihistamines.  But as always, after several days on the antihistamines, they start to mess with my sleep.  I then try other stuff like melatonin.  While Melatonin works great at first, after a week or so on Melatonin, it destroys my sleep.  So now I need to get off antihistamines and melatonin.  The withdrawal from antihistamines and melatonin makes sleep difficult.

HOWEVER, I know, in a few more days of not taking antihistamines and melatonin, I will recover and sleep will come back.  I just needed them to get through tree pollen season.

Once I am pass all this, I will generally sleep good using the helps you will find in my signature. 

Rshack and Bob7 .  Thanks for advices and support. My insomnia is getting better, it seems i was overexercised.  Severe Exercise intolerance was one of my symtoms during acute withdrawal,and  i suppose  i still have it.  I didnt take any pills to help me sleep while in setback, i better die than put everything to sleep in my mouth.  My emotions still not under control , still working on it.  But its very hard to work on emotion control when u quarantied and cant even go outside for a long walk  without risking of being caught by police. From wednesday russians who live in moscow or close to sity have to use special app in phone to ask for permision from goverment service to simply drive to supermarket for food  , but the app is so bugged that i cant even type my current location in it.  If being caugh by police without permission (QR code) u car could be seized!!! and fine is big .I cant risk my car thats why electric bicycle is the safest way to travel  across the place i live.  I am lucky to have money to go to shop, but millions  people in Russia dont have money and they cant go to work and earn some  becouse they are quarantined and most companies are closed , thats why some of my neighbours are scared that appearence of maradeurs is the matter of time .  Right know number of infected are increasing every day ,no one knows real numbers of infected becouse the lack of tests and their quality is bad,  hospitals are overcrowded, even ambulanases have to wait 5-10 hours to get to hospital , worst case scanario is happening,  Police forming roadblocks near Moscow. If nothing change in  few next weeks martal law will be declared.

I heard about that.  Here in Ohio things aren’t that locked down, we can still go to the store or walk outside for exercise—provided we keep our distance.

Otherwise, being forced to work from home has reduced my stress levels considerably.  Not having to wake up early and get in a car has done wonders for my sleep.

Best wishes to you.  Try to distract yourself as much as possible. 

alextrup,

I am happy for you about your sleep is getting better.

I am sad for you concerning the difficulties to go outside and get food and the fear of marauders and martial law is frightening.

I will now pray for you and your community.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Update. i am still alive, still didnt get virus, but situation is critical here near moscow and i lot of people around me are infected.  .were sleeping 6-8 hours of broken sleep but later got stressed becouse of betrayal of family member and now cant get more then 4-5 hours of disturbed  sleep , i hope it will pass. I wish everybody luck and good sleep, try to stay calm, dont get stressed.

It's good to see you again alextrup, I'm sorry things are so rough where you are, glad to know you're not infected, stay safe okay?

Update. i am still alive, still didnt get virus, but situation is critical here near moscow and i lot of people around me are infected.  .were sleeping 6-8 hours of broken sleep but later got stressed becouse of betrayal of family member and now cant get more then 4-5 hours of disturbed  sleep , i hope it will pass. I wish everybody luck and good sleep, try to stay calm, dont get stressed.

Sorry to hear about the betrayal.  For sure, it hurts sleep.  Typically, betrayal is not about you.  It is about the other person.  I too am in the midst of betrayal.  I am told by loved ones to surrender to Jesus and I think it is working for me - it is a process - it takes time.

Sorry to hear about the betrayal.  For sure, it hurts sleep.  Typically, betrayal is not about you.  It is about the other person.  I too am in the midst of betrayal.  I am told by loved ones to surrender to Jesus and I think it is working for me - it is a process - it takes time.

Yeah, its insanely  slow process, i didnt recover from stress and  think i got hit by wave, alsmost no sleep + anxiety + fear of insomnia once again+  bad tinnitus and etc.  I suppose i ate pork full of antibiotics or maybe its my diet. I tried low lactose diet, low gluiten diet, low carbs diet,  it helped but something was wrong. Yesterday i found info about fructose intolerance, and its not rare at all.  I were eating apples on daily basis for last few weeks , i thought its healthy but my stomach finally went crazy and probiotics stopped working. Then i found info that fructose malabsorbation leads to tryptophan malabsorbation --> no serotonin --> no sleep.  I havent eat fruits for on day and i felt 3 times better...  Its very strange and annoying.  Now i am on "fodmap diet" for fructose malabsorbation .      Lets see what will happen))) 

Update. I am ok.  setback has passed. New diet works, i am feeling healthier then before on low fructose/sugar diet. Sleep is good enough (6-7.5 hours of broken sleep with nightmares )  Besides new diet i turn off all phones/pc after 7 pm and dont eat later than 7 pm.  Now main stress is fast deteroating crime situation around place i live here in Russia, for example  my father became victim of road scammers yesterday, and my friend almost got victim of phone scammers two days ago , even my grandma almost got robbed by migrant for food  a week ago but i scared thief and he walked away.  I will report later when i have something to report. I wish everybody who struggling with withdrawal right now fast healing and good luck

Update. I am ok.  setback has passed. New diet works, i am feeling healthier then before on low fructose/sugar diet. Sleep is good enough (6-7.5 hours of broken sleep with nightmares )  Besides new diet i turn off all phones/pc after 7 pm and dont eat later than 7 pm.  Now main stress is fast deteroating crime situation around place i live here in Russia, for example  my father became victim of road scammers yesterday, and my friend almost got victim of phone scammers two days ago , even my grandma almost got robbed by migrant for food  a week ago but i scared thief and he walked away.  I will report later when i have something to report. I wish everybody who struggling with withdrawal right now fast healing and good luck

alextrup,

I am so sorry to hear all the struggles of you and your family with scammers and thieves.  May God protect you all and give you peace.

I can also confirm something about your health progress.  I too stop eating after 6 or 7 PM and it helps my sleep - the sleep is more effective.  I think keeping our stomach empty of sugars and glutamate at bedtime is a key.  Also, stopping anxiety before it happens at bedtime is another key (so turning off the phone is wise).

It's good to hear you're getting some sleep, you've come a long way.  I'm too am sorry to hear of the crime you and your family are fighting off, these are scary times. 

Hey Alextrup

Glad to learn you finally getting some decent sleep.  Sorry there is crime where you live.  Crime is common in bigger cities in the US too.  Diet can play a huge role in your sleep and overall health.  I hope you continue to do well and sleep well.

so glad you are getting better sleep. that makes it easier to manage when things are hard. i am sorry for the crime in your country. please keep posting and remembering that you are getting better and your body knows how to sleep

• 4 weeks later...
i have a question.  Some days i am able to sleep 8 hours of sleep or even more. sounds good but its not really. i woke up 5-10 times a night with extremely vivid dreams and i it feels like i dont sleep at all.  I am always very sleepy and exausted.  Maybe i should try sleep deprivation? What do you think?

These are typical symptoms.  They should start diminishing.  Nowadays, if a wake up, it’s just once a night, and I am able to quickly go back to sleep.  Previously, I would have to get up, calm myself down, and then try to fall back asleep.

I have also had symptoms where it felt like I didn’t sleep...but then I looked at the clock and realized I had been out for hours.

Good luck to you. 

got hit by massive insomnia wave out of nowhere. Cant sleep more then 1-2 hours a day and it doesnt matter how sleepy i am. i am seeing dreams while being awake right now that how i am sleepy but still cant fall asleep.  it all started after single event of somniphobia  several days ago ago and it seems i broke sleep=bad association in brain. i am so angry at myself, still dont know what should i do to restore sleep reflex. all these days i have been trying to accumulate sleep drive but still no success  :idiot: 

From my personal experience there is not much that you can do to restore your sleep drive while in withdrawal. It will just happen when it happens. Just make sure that you put in as much rest time as possible at night. That real light stage of sleep that you probably slip in and out of without being aware of is what will sustain you.

This is  insane. I completely stopped sleeping.  I have no anxiety, no fear, no depression, no withdrawal symptoms, i just cant sleep. this is absolutely insane.  Maybe somebody put neurotoxin in the water, i dont know. I have no explanation . If its withdrawal so why no other symptoms.  From 8 hours of broken sleep to zero in just one week!! Just w*f!@!