Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Clonazepam

[dr...]

[a2...]
This will probably be considered the most stupid statement of the year but could it be that he thinks (or has been told) that he's having a rare reaction, that others don't get these issues coming off benzos. My Dr told me she'd never seen wd sxs like mine and that i was just overly sensitive. I believed her until i found BB.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [Fi...]

• [Ja...]

Jordan seems considerably worse here:

Voice weak and crying. He really seems exhausted. The awful part is that it could be true he reinstated and it was only partially successful. The real hell could be waiting months or years down the line. I wonder if the doctors in New York were honest and mentioned the neurotoxicity? Pretty unlikely, I know. Not sure when this was filmed but likely after the rehab visit.

Hey DG,

I posted this one a few pages ago (page 30)! What isn't clear is when it was filmed. I think it's from a bit earlier this year based on something he said.

Here's the page where I posted it. There's a bit of back-and-forth afterward.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=229317.290

Jordan seems considerably worse here:

Voice weak and crying. He really seems exhausted. The awful part is that it could be true he reinstated and it was only partially successful. The real hell could be waiting months or years down the line. I wonder if the doctors in New York were honest and mentioned the neurotoxicity? Pretty unlikely, I know. Not sure when this was filmed but likely after the rehab visit.

Hey DG,

I posted this one a few pages ago (page 30)! What isn't clear is when it was filmed. I think it's from a bit earlier this year based on something he said.

Here's the page where I posted it. There's a bit of back-and-forth afterward.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=229317.290

Whoops, sorry everyone! I looked, but I didn't go back far enough. Apologize for the repeat video. I hadn't been following this thread, clearly.

Are we agreed he reinstated? Seems like there no way he detoxed. He'd still be in acute.

It's impossible to know. We haven't actually heard from him directly, and his daughter just said that it was "an allergic reaction" and "he's fine now", or something to that effect. This video between Jordan Peterson and Rex Murphy may have been filmed a number of months ago, so it can't tell us much about now.

Suffice to say, lots of questions remain.

It's impossible to know. We haven't actually heard from him directly, and his daughter just said that it was "an allergic reaction" and "he's fine now", or something to that effect. This video between Jordan Peterson and Rex Murphy may have been filmed a number of months ago, so it can't tell us much about now.

Suffice to say, lots of questions remain.

Yes, you're right, Lapis. Looks like it was filmed in July sometime, since they talk about the Yaniv case as if it is currently happening. People in the comments also claim it was filmed before the rehab, for what that's worth.

I knew this was coming. Hopefully he figures out what happened to him. He’s going to be gone for a long time. Quite frankly it may be the end of his career. By the time he recovers he may not be relevant anymore. I guess we will see.

And I just checked his Twitter account again to find that there are many, many, many well wishers since that tweet went up earlier today. Pretty extraordinary! I guess he's got many, many, many followers.

The plot thickens....

I'll share more information upon my return, and will continue to rely on my team to keep up my work in the meantime.

Lets hope so. An extremely prominent voice who is also in the medical community has the potential to have a huge impact on the cause.

The plot thickens....

I'll share more information upon my return, and will continue to rely on my team to keep up my work in the meantime.

Lets hope so. An extremely prominent voice who is also in the medical community has the potential to have a huge impact on the cause.

I really hope he does, FG.

Thanks Lapis, Quite the article!

I mean this lacks a certain accuracy, "[he] was prescribed the strong medication—usually given to epileptics to control seizures and convulsions but also prescribed to control panic attacks—after his wife's cancer diagnosis in April of this year." Makes it sound like more consideration is given when prescribing than we know to be true. I wonder if there is any actual data that ays what it's "usually" prescribed for, but my guess is it's not epilepsy.

But this is quite the sentence, "Clonazepam, often sold under the brand name Klonopin, is highly addictive and those that stop taking it can experience seizures, mood swings, shaking and muscle cramps." Even if it doesn't capture the full horror and uses the stupid addiction word that people here hate, it's at least uses strong language. I know it could be a lot better, but it's hard to imagine it existing in even its current form a few weeks ago. It certainly would make a careful reader pause before taking Klonopin, and perhaps a few rethink their current prescription.

Thanks Lapis, Quite the article!

I mean this lacks a certain accuracy, "[he] was prescribed the strong medication—usually given to epileptics to control seizures and convulsions but also prescribed to control panic attacks—after his wife's cancer diagnosis in April of this year." Makes it sound like more consideration is given when prescribing than we know to be true. I wonder if there is any actual data that ays what it's "usually" prescribed for, but my guess is it's not epilepsy.

But this is quite the sentence, "Clonazepam, often sold under the brand name Klonopin, is highly addictive and those that stop taking it can experience seizures, mood swings, shaking and muscle cramps." Even if it doesn't capture the full horror and uses the stupid addiction word that people here hate, it's at least uses strong language. I know it could be a lot better, but it's hard to imagine it existing in even its current form a few weeks ago. It certainly would make a careful reader pause before taking Klonopin, and perhaps a few rethink their current prescription.

Dr. Wright on the Benzo Symposium (IIRC) said that benzos are useful for Status Epilepticus.

Good recollection thinkstopthink!

I just meant I don't think that epilepsy is what it's most commonly prescribed for, not that it doesn't have utility there. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that its most often prescribed for some form of anxiety. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of reasons for prescriptions. I wonder if such data is readily available? 

Or maybe I misread it and it meant not that it is most commonly prescribed for epilepsy (as opposed to other reasons) but that epileptics are more commonly prescribed it over other drugs? The way its worded makes it sound like the former at first.  I think the way I just worded all that makes little sense either. The article certainly makes it seem like its use for anxiety is secondary to its use for epilepsy.

Something of note: I also remember seeing this recently from The Epilepsy Foundation about Benzos perhaps not even being a good idea for that condition.

https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2014/3/tolerance-and-honeymoon-effect

and of course Ashton argued, "Tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of benzodiazepines makes them generally unsuitable for long-term control of epilepsy."

But the article is from 2014 and of course Ashton's manual should always be used alongside new knowledge, so who knows.

Much love for Dr. Wright! Maybe he knows of great success with it, though his field is addiction studies.

Good recollection thinkstopthink!

I just meant I don't think that epilepsy is what it's most commonly prescribed for, not that it doesn't have utility there. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that its most often prescribed for some form of anxiety. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of reasons for prescriptions. I wonder if such data is readily available? 

Or maybe I misread it and it meant not that it is most commonly prescribed for epilepsy (as opposed to other reasons) but that epileptics are more commonly prescribed it over other drugs? The way its worded makes it sound like the former at first.  I think the way I just worded all that makes little sense either. The article certainly makes it seem like its use for anxiety is secondary to its use for epilepsy.

Something of note: I also remember seeing this recently from The Epilepsy Foundation about Benzos perhaps not even being a good idea for that condition.

https://www.epilepsy.com/article/2014/3/tolerance-and-honeymoon-effect

and of course Ashton argued, "Tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of benzodiazepines makes them generally unsuitable for long-term control of epilepsy."

But the article is from 2014 and of course Ashton's manual should always be used alongside new knowledge, so who knows.

Much love for Dr. Wright! Maybe he knows of great success with it, though his field is addiction studies.

No, I think it is only in the that specific form of epilepsy where benzos are used. I don't think they are a front line treatment for general epilepsy.

Hi All,

This article popped popped up on my cell phone scroll (or whatever it's called!) this morning from Psychology Today. Definitely worth reading. Great subtitle! The author, a clinical psychologist from Calgary who specializes in addiction, knows Jordan Peterson from his time as a student at University of Toronto.

Casting Stones at Jordan Peterson for Seeking Treatment

Benzodiazepines can be thought of as wolves in sheep’s clothing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/writing-integrity/201910/casting-stones-jordan-peterson-seeking-treatment 

Here's a key paragraph from the article:

Full disclosure: I am a clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction, and I bear witness on a regular basis to the literal hell that is benzodiazepine dependence and the effects of addiction-related stigma. Also, Peterson was my undergraduate research supervisor at the University of Toronto approximately 15 years ago, and we have maintained some contact since that time. It is precisely for these reasons that I have decided to shine a light on the stigma directed towards him—a psychological reality is that it is often those with whom we have a personal connection that the effects of stigma can be particularly salient.

Lapis,

The fact that this man is in contact with Peterson makes me feel hopeful that he knows what is going on with him. I am very pleased with the amount of awareness that is suddenly coming out about benzo dependence. I am now hopeful that Peterson knows the truth and will tell the real story. My own doubtful therapist apologized to me this week during our session. She went and researched as I requested and came back and told me that her views on these medications is completely changed. She was able to draw the comparisons between my symptoms in acute and the stories from Lisa Ling and Kristy Huff and all the other info that is popping up now.

My cardiologist conceded that at 10 months off that there is nothing wrong with my heart and that the palpitations and chest pains must be from the benzos. He told me he expects it will all reset but admitted he doesn’t know how long it will take. Last year he did not believe me at all. I see how much progress I have made in convincing those around me of the truth. These small validations like this article you linked here are the ammunition that I use to convince these doctors and therapists and family and friends of the truth. This article seems small but this man saved many lives by writing it. I know he wrote it to validate a friend but I wonder if he knows how many people will read it and avoid taking a benzo because of it. This made my day. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,

This article popped popped up on my cell phone scroll (or whatever it's called!) this morning from Psychology Today. Definitely worth reading. Great subtitle! The author, a clinical psychologist from Calgary who specializes in addiction, knows Jordan Peterson from his time as a student at University of Toronto.

Casting Stones at Jordan Peterson for Seeking Treatment

Benzodiazepines can be thought of as wolves in sheep’s clothing.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/writing-integrity/201910/casting-stones-jordan-peterson-seeking-treatment 

Here's a key paragraph from the article:

Full disclosure: I am a clinical psychologist who specializes in addiction, and I bear witness on a regular basis to the literal hell that is benzodiazepine dependence and the effects of addiction-related stigma. Also, Peterson was my undergraduate research supervisor at the University of Toronto approximately 15 years ago, and we have maintained some contact since that time. It is precisely for these reasons that I have decided to shine a light on the stigma directed towards him—a psychological reality is that it is often those with whom we have a personal connection that the effects of stigma can be particularly salient.

Thanks for the link to this article, Lapis! Really well done.

You're welcome, Tater Tot. I really liked this info where the author lists both "dependence and addiction", showing that they're not one and the same. Good for him!

When it comes to the addiction and mental health treatment world, benzodiazepines can be thought of as wolves in sheep’s clothing, with the exception of their beneficial use in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal. If benzodiazepines are used repeatedly and temporarily to avoid or cope with uncomfortable emotions, thoughts, and memories, their use could lead to the development or worsening of psychiatric symptoms, such as anxiety.

They are not first-line treatments for anxiety disorders, and clinical guidelines recommend that their use be restricted to the short term, due to the high potential for both dependency and addiction, as well as other side effects, including severe withdrawal symptoms, sedation, cognitive impairment, and the potential for death. 

Lapis,

The fact that this man is in contact with Peterson makes me feel hopeful that he knows what is going on with him. I am very pleased with the amount of awareness that is suddenly coming out about benzo dependence. I am now hopeful that Peterson knows the truth and will tell the real story. My own doubtful therapist apologized to me this week during our session. She went and researched as I requested and came back and told me that her views on these medications is completely changed. She was able to draw the comparisons between my symptoms in acute and the stories from Lisa Ling and Kristy Huff and all the other info that is popping up now.

My cardiologist conceded that at 10 months off that there is nothing wrong with my heart and that the palpitations and chest pains must be from the benzos. He told me he expects it will all reset but admitted he doesn’t know how long it will take. Last year he did not believe me at all. I see how much progress I have made in convincing those around me of the truth. These small validations like this article you linked here are the ammunition that I use to convince these doctors and therapists and family and friends of the truth. This article seems small but this man saved many lives by writing it. I know he wrote it to validate a friend but I wonder if he knows how many people will read it and avoid taking a benzo because of it. This made my day. Thanks for sharing.

Man, I am really glad to hear this. I thought the Lisa Ling thing was going to send a powerful message and I a happy to hear that I was right. I just hope we are able to keep up this momentum.

Lapis,

Man, I am really glad to hear this. I thought the Lisa Ling thing was going to send a powerful message and I a happy to hear that I was right. I just hope we are able to keep up this momentum.

I have nothing good to say about the inappropriate initiation of benzodiazepine therapy. However, I am saddened by others' efforts & the ignorance of some people to inappropriately w/d from and/or cease benzo therapy after long-term use.

IMO, Jordan Perterson's decision to c/t Klonopin would make a good case study for inappropriately w/d'g from benzo therapy. 

My question: Is Jordan Peterson "man" enough to present himself as a case study for others' edification?

Lapis,

Hi Jack,

It's my pleasure to share such information. And thank you for writing so beautifully about what has been happening with you and some of your health professionals. I found it really touching and powerful, and I can only hope that other health professionals are paying attention too.

There has been literature pointing to the evidence of a withdrawal syndrome and withdrawal issues for many, many years. If you go back in the PubMed literature, it's there. But whether or not people are taking the time to read it is another story.

All the best to you!