Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Jump off point Klonopin

[Sw...]

Hello there just had a question new to the site and roaming around going through my taper currently at .125mg K trying to get a good idea of what to jump off at safely. What range are we looking at? I started out at .5 mg a day, I’m right at about 3 1/2 months of tapering After a botched first failure due to bad advice from Dr. to taper in two weeks found out quickly that did not work seems to be too familiar. I’ve only been on for three months before I started to taper, but I was on Ativan for a month and a half or so before any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much.

Edited by [Sw...]

[An...]
19 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

image.thumb.png.e5be78d9eb395965c3862059289dd7ca.png

Are these all .5 mg Valium equivalents? I did not check the math.

[Ch...]
1 hour ago, [[A...] said:

Are these all .5 mg Valium equivalents? I did not check the math.

I believe so, yes.

• Love 1

[An...]
2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I believe so, yes.

👍Cool and love the graphic. I will save and repost. I love that it says a safe finite amount to jump from "or go lower" if you feel you need to go lower. Excellent!

Edited by [An...]
addition
  • Like 1

[Ma...]

Yes, this guide is very conservative/safe.  Going lower than the amounts on here is unlikely to do much but to prolong your taper unnecessarily because the doses are so sub therapeutic. If you start getting symptoms at these levels after a slow responsible taper, it’s probably best to jump.  The last thing you want is to hold at such a low dose for weeks, or worse yet, feel like you need to updose.  I’ve seen this very story too many times where someone gets to and stays on like 0.5mg Valium for a month and feels like they’re getting worse.  Then they updose to 2 mg or something and ruin their taper.  Placebo effects definitely start to play a role at these low levels and the taper itself becomes a source of anxiety.  When you hit these levels, it’s time to jump off.  

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

[Wa...]

It truly depends on your type of symptoms. How do you feel? I’m about to cut from .07 to .05 klonopin and will consider jumping at .05. I have some inner ear issues. If I didn’t have these I would consider a jump at .07

• Like 1

[Ch...]
5 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Yes, this guide is very conservative/safe.  Going lower than the amounts on here is unlikely to do much but to prolong your taper unnecessarily because the doses are so sub therapeutic. If you start getting symptoms at these levels after a slow responsible taper, it’s probably best to jump.  The last thing you want is to hold at such a low dose for weeks, or worse yet, feel like you need to updose.  I’ve seen this very story too many times where someone gets to and stays on like 0.5mg Valium for a month and feels like they’re getting worse.  Then they updose to 2 mg or something and ruin their taper.  Placebo effects definitely start to play a role at these low levels and the taper itself becomes a source of anxiety.  When you hit these levels, it’s time to jump off.  

Excellent comments!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
[re...]

Hello Swany and welcome to the forum.

Is this your first taper? If it is then what I did in my first taper that was from K directly is when I got down to .125 K I just put it in 100ml of milk and took out faithfully 1ml of suspension/ per day until off without ever holding and it was a non event. I definitely would go all the way if I was you. Why risk it with a jump. I am a huge fan of the Horowitz school of thought with the  hyperbolic curve and he suggests jumping at .30 of valium which would be approximately .025 of Klonopin.  

I agree also with Mattwahoo though not to hold for too long ONCE you get to the low doses  of .05 and under. This can definitely cause more problems. The goal is to get off the most humanely way possible. 

A 3-5 day hold here or there should be fine though IMO. 

Edited by [re...]

[Bu...]
On 15/04/2024 at 08:02, [[M...] said:

This is very good advice - I stayed on a super low dose for years (0.25 mg) and now my life is basically ruined from going up and then back down and now up again. 

[De...]

I jumped off klonopin at .25 mg but was bolstered by a huge dosage of gabapentin. That’s a lot higher than most would advise. I thought I was gonna die for a few days but clouds started to clear after day 4 or 5. 

On 27/04/2024 at 13:12, [[r...] said:

Hello Swany and welcome to the forum.

Is this your first taper? If it is then what I did in my first taper that was from K directly is when I got down to .125 K I just put it in 100ml of milk and took out faithfully 1ml of suspension/ per day until off without ever holding and it was a non event. I definitely would go all the way if I was you. Why risk it with a jump. I am a huge fan of the Horowitz school of thought with the  hyperbolic curve and he suggests jumping at .30 of valium which would be approximately .025 of Klonopin.  

I agree also with Mattwahoo though not to hold for too long ONCE you get to the low doses  of .05 and under. This can definitely cause more problems. The goal is to get off the most humanely way possible. 

A 3-5 day hold here or there should be fine though IMO. 

Hello,

I am at 0.125mg K now and this method sounds appealing to me as it's so gradual with less risk of uneven doses/cuts.

To clarify, every day you dissolved 0.125 of K into 100ml of whole milk and then you drank 100 ml, 99 ml, 98 ml, etc for 100 days until finished?

I might try that.. breaking up the pills seems less exact and could be more bumpy.

Yup from the .125k down I did just that. 100 days it took me and let me down quite easy. I walked off basically symptom free. If this is your first taper you should be fine too. 

Thanks for the info, yes, this is my first taper revolutionblue I’m currently micro tapering from .1 25K every three days .001 g it is working very well. My symptoms are very minimal mostly headaches head pressure slight bodyaches but much better than my taper has gone previous before 125. I’m thinking of jumping around .06 or .05 just seeing what peoples thoughts are especially if my symptoms stay the way they are I don’t wanna hang out here any longer than necessary and I don’t want to let paranoia extend my taper unnecessarily. I am a short time user and my max dose was .5 mg K never more than that. Your thoughts are much appreciated. 

Edited by [Sw...]