Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Looking for Buddies - LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

[Lo...]

BD,

If it makes you feel better, I think once I got down to half my dose I noticed I was feeling better in general.  I hope this holds true for you as well..

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sea- I have seen many buddies report this about the benzo.  I will get there somehow, someday, hopefully after the sero thing calms down I can get moving beyond a snails pace at the xanax tapering. I used to be able to make 5-10% cuts, many times. I would then have a procedure where I had to CT, start again at my first dose, then cut down again, Until now.

Hopefully getting the seroquel down will help as well as pursuing my goals.

If not, I will find a way.

BD,

That is horrible, I am so sorry you have gone through all this.  Don't worry about the pace of your reductions, just keep moving in the right direction.  I worried a lot about this the first half of my taper (only 2.5% per month).  When something lifted and I could increase that, I felt like I won the lottery (sort of).. 

My last dose down on Monday put me at the half way point in my taper.  I must admit, I feel like crap at the moment, battling sore ears (possible ear infection), had a biopsy on my nose Monday for possible skin cancer, lots of anxiety, my body temperature is all over the place ..it just never ends.  I know exactly how you feel and I sympathize with you.  We are all fighting some sort of uphill battle.

With that said, we are warriors and we will get to the top of this hill.  Try to remember where you were last year at this time and think about how far you have come. 

I agree with Lori- I know that for me if I stopped tapering I would never feel anything but defeated and also feel like crap all the time physically and emotionally.  This last couple weeks has taken me on a journey I do not want to be on but if I stop now, I will never get off the xanax and will not be able to have any kind of normal life again.  Xanax has taken too much of my life away and I refuse to let it win.  I have to keep going and if that means struggling and feeling pain, I will have to do that because the only way for me to have a better life is to get off xanax.

I too am genuinely concerned. 

:smitten:

Julia

Checking in

Julia:  I'm not sure if you've been on the actual threads much.  But wanted to check in anyway.  I know you've had a rough go!  Again, so happy to hear that all went well in the ER and that you're physically OKAY!  So happy and relieved for you!  I pray that things continue to get better on a daily basis!  I responded to you again via PM - hopefully you received it.  Keep plugging away, girlfriend!  You got this! Stomach pains be gone!  :)

I see so many short term users this thread (in comparison) who are on a significantly lower dose than we were when we started this journey (for me, it was over three years ago).  I think I started this for "LT" Long Term users like ourselves but once this thread was moved (and almost deleted) we lost some long term'ers who were with us early on.  No offense to our new comers!  It's just that being on this for many years (19+ tapering for me) has its unique set of problems.  Nevertheless, the journey is difficult and far from pleasant for all. 

I'm still using the trusty nailfile on the .25 mg pills for this last leg.  So far, so good.  I'm going to have to dust off the gram scale to figure out exactly what my dose is.  I honestly couldn't even guess right now.  Other than it's definitly below .9!  I'm shaving "swipes" off of each pill as of today.  So far the muscle issues and nerve burning are still with me but no worse than what they were a month ago.  Getting frustrated that this symptom which is pretty rough will be with me for the duration.  I can only pray that like several other crappy side effects, this one will vanish at a certain dose as well. 

I'm trying to remain positive by keeping my eye on the prize! 

Hope are all doing well! 

Fondly,

Lori

Good luck to you Lori

Dearest Matt!

Now there's a name from the past!  You jumped!  I'm so incredibly happy for you!  I know it's been a long ride.  Wow!  I remember you from back when Kristin and SeakingPeace were still here. 

I keep in touch with Kristin and she's doing very well!  I pray you're doing equally as well. 

Again, so nice to hear from you!  Please keep in touch.  Wishing you speedy healing and health! :thumbsup:

Love,

Lori

I'm sorry. I'm one of the new comers who's a short term lower dose person. I didn't realize what this thread was about. I saw Xanax and thought I would join up with other Xanax buddies. I didn't realize the LT (duh on my part was for long term) I didn't mean to hijack in. I know I just started my taper in November, but for what it's worth, it sucks nonetheless. I hope you all stay well and get to your end goal. I never want to compare my short term taper to anything that you've all been through. I know you guys are going through hell. For what it's worth I pray for each of you every night. Best Wishes.

Wonder Woman your fine. This thread is for anyone who wants to be a part of it. No need to apologize. Your contributions have added a great deal to this thread, and I am glad you are here.

I'm sorry. I'm one of the new comers who's a short term lower dose person. I didn't realize what this thread was about. I saw Xanax and thought I would join up with other Xanax buddies. I didn't realize the LT (duh on my part was for long term) I didn't mean to hijack in. I know I just started my taper in November, but for what it's worth, it sucks nonetheless. I hope you all stay well and get to your end goal. I never want to compare my short term taper to anything that you've all been through. I know you guys are going through hell. For what it's worth I pray for each of you every night. Best Wishes.

Wonderwoman, I'm sorry!  In no way did I intend to make you feel as though you weren't welcome!  Ugh!  Again, so sorry.  That part of my post was simply a factual statement about the lack of Xanax threads. Back when I joined BB there were several to choose from.  About a year or so ago, the moderators consolidated them - which seemed to be more of a deleting of a few - they kept this thread (I had to kind of fight to hold onto it) and the one other that we're all posting on (The Let Us Know How You're Feeling - where Baddove starting posting when she started her taper in 2016) into a "Support Group" category versus Planning Your Taper where they had always been (confusing, I know).  This left very little to choose from. Hence, if you were looking for help with Xanax when you joined BB, these two are pretty much the only ones you would have found. No mistake made on your part at all!  For years you could find more on the Planning Your Taper boards but now you pretty much have to go to Support Groups. 

If that was hard to follow, I apologize!  LOL!  I've been around here for years and I can't find anything anymore either!  :laugh:

I started this thread back in 2019 simply because there were a group of us long term users who were really having a rough time and due to changes on where things were now being posted, we were having a tough time finding each other as well.  There were two other threads that we had been using but they became difficult to locate (and are now inactive).  Hence, anyone using Xanax for ANY length of time is, for the most part, ONLY going to find these two threads.  That being said, it's fair that you post here as well.  As I've stated, there aren't many other places to go these days.  Additionally, there are no rules whatsoever on where people can post.  You're always welcome! Xanax users in general don't seem to have the amount of posts/members as we once did. I'm starting to think that us Xanax Direct Taper people are a rare breed!  LOL!  Hey, maybe that's a sign of less prescribing of this nasty drug?  We can only hope!

Back in the early days of my taper, I received so much help from Challis99 (She's AMAZING) and several other Moderators who had been through a direct taper off of Xanax.  They had such wonderful insight because they had been where we are and had come out the other side!!!  :thumbsup:  When we were stuggling, they were able to offer sound advice based on their own experience coming off the drugs which was extremely helpful to us all.  I miss that!

Nevertheless, again, please know that I did not mean to offend you or dictate where anyone could post.  I genuinely apologize. 

Additionally, thank you for your kinds words!  It's been a grueling haul to date!  Ugh!  3 years of this (granted a year of it was a hold) and I'm back at it for the final lap.  I know this sounds crazy but for us long haulers, we almost envy you that you haven't been on this poison for as long as we have.  But that does not mean that I am dismissing your journey as being less difficult and/or frustrating! You deserve to be supported and celebrated as much as anyone!  :)

Going by your signature, it looks like you're doing an amazing job!  I pray for you as well!  :smitten:  YOU GOT THIS!!! :)

Fondly,

Lori

PS:  I'm going to get the trusty gram scale out tonight or tomorrow to get an idea of where I am as far as my taper.  With a nail file, I'm currently taking swipes off each pill so I'm curious to see exacly how much I've reduced.  As of today, I'm taking 4 doses of .25 mg pills and swipes off of each dose are as follows:  6,4,6,4.  I'll update when I weigh them out. 

Oh no worries Lori! I just didn’t want to compare my journey to yours. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through, the strength it’s taken, and the determination you’ve had to have. You should be so proud of how far you’ve come. It’s amazing and gives the rest of us hope. I hope you long term buddies realize how inspirational you are to the rest of us. I do feel very blessed to be on a low dose and to be having somewhat of a decent taper so far. It’s not without symptoms or trouble periods, but I seem to have a good flow going where I know how many days I can taper and when to hold. I know it could get bad or harder at any given moment. I accepted the process, learned to forgive myself for ever trusting the doctor in the first place and not doing my own research, and gave the whole burden to God to help carry me through. I use a healthy diet, do not drink caffeine, do not eat sugar or artificial sugar (very often), and eat completely gluten free. I don’t know if it helps but in my mind it thinks it does so I go with it. I was thrown a little off track when I got terrible Covid, and was pretty sick, but I’m glad that’s past me. I never thought I’d be in this predicament, but feel blessed to have connected with all of you wonderful people who show such

compassion, encouragement, and empathy. Otherwise in the tapering world it can be a pretty lonely process. Thanks for your kind words as well and thanks for starting this group and fighting for it! Hugs to you!  :smitten:

I'm just posting so I can find this group again and keep checking in. I'm a long time user of xanax. 15 years. I tapered all of 2020 but am stuck at the moment and trying to stabilise at .5 after tapering down from 2.5.

I have really been struggling. I've had a lot of bad things happen that have really shaken me up. The worst is finding out I need knee replacement on both knees. I am extremely phobic of surgery and have been very unstable after that diagnosis. I'm just hoping to get more stable and for a good long while before I taper any more.

I'm just posting so I can find this group again and keep checking in. I'm a long time user of xanax. 15 years. I tapered all of 2020 but am stuck at the moment and trying to stabilise at .5 after tapering down from 2.5.

I have really been struggling. I've had a lot of bad things happen that have really shaken me up. The worst is finding out I need knee replacement on both knees. I am extremely phobic of surgery and have been very unstable after that diagnosis. I'm just hoping to get more stable and for a good long while before I taper any more.

You have done amazing! You’re taper journey is so inspirational and your help and encouragement to the rest of us is so appreciated!  :smitten:

You have done amazing! You’re taper journey is so inspirational and your help and encouragement to the rest of us is so appreciated!  :smitten:

Thanks for saying that!  :smitten:

I totally agree with WW!  You are doing great, you will be done the taper before you know it.  Smart to hold..

Thanks, you are always so supportive!  :smitten:

SRR, So sorry that you're struggling!  I was often told that the last leg of this journery can be the most difficult.  In my personal experience coming from at all time high of 6 mgs that getting under 1 milligram has been the biggest challenge.  Like youself, I've been on this for 15+ years (tapering methodically for the past 3).  Never in my life did I see this coming. 

For what it's worth, it took me quite a while to stabilize on 1 milligram.  I don't think we're ever truly "stable" but need to reach a level of tolerability.  I just started tapering again from the 1 milligram.  Hang in there!  You only have .5 to go.  I know it can seem like this will go on forever but it wont!  Far too many have been where we are and have come out the other side!  I've kept in touch with many who have been in our shoes, never believing this horror would end, and now they are out and enjoying life! You will too!

If you need to slow down, thats fine! Many do towards the end.  But please don't forget just how far you've come!  You're doing fantastic! Hang on a little while longer and you'll be off of Xanax.  You have a whole new world just waiting for you!  And hey, if it's with two new knees, you'll be running marathons around us!  :)

Best wishes!

Lori

PS:  two friends of mine had double knee replacement.  Both said it was ultimately the best thing they ever did!  The recovery was rough for the first 24 hours but by day 2-3 you're already up and walking!  It's amazing what they can do today.  Please try not to stress over it (easier said than done, I know).

Oh no worries Lori! I just didn’t want to compare my journey to yours. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through, the strength it’s taken, and the determination you’ve had to have. You should be so proud of how far you’ve come. It’s amazing and gives the rest of us hope. I hope you long term buddies realize how inspirational you are to the rest of us. I do feel very blessed to be on a low dose and to be having somewhat of a decent taper so far. It’s not without symptoms or trouble periods, but I seem to have a good flow going where I know how many days I can taper and when to hold. I know it could get bad or harder at any given moment. I accepted the process, learned to forgive myself for ever trusting the doctor in the first place and not doing my own research, and gave the whole burden to God to help carry me through. I use a healthy diet, do not drink caffeine, do not eat sugar or artificial sugar (very often), and eat completely gluten free. I don’t know if it helps but in my mind it thinks it does so I go with it. I was thrown a little off track when I got terrible Covid, and was pretty sick, but I’m glad that’s past me. I never thought I’d be in this predicament, but feel blessed to have connected with all of you wonderful people who show such

compassion, encouragement, and empathy. Otherwise in the tapering world it can be a pretty lonely process. Thanks for your kind words as well and thanks for starting this group and fighting for it! Hugs to you!  :smitten:

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you! 

It's very apparent that you have an arsenol of great strategies.  I pray that the remainder of your taper will go as smoothly as possible!  I'm so sorry that you acquired Covid.  I can't even imagine dealing with that on top of the tapering.  It's been my worst fear.  So glad to hear that you've recovered.  I lost a very dear friend at only 52 (two young children and a wife left behind), my uncle, and just yesterday another uncle to Covid. 2 out of three were extremely healthy and had no preexisting conditions.  It has been heartbreaking.  One uncle was 80 and was in very poor health so it wasn't a surprise but it didn't make it easier.  No words. 

You've already made great strides in your tapering and I pray that this last leg of your personal journey is as smooth as possible!  Keep us posted!

Fondly,

Lori

You guys are all rocking it. This process is excruciating, and we  all keep going.

I have a question.

I have been stuck almost 6 months at my current x dose. 2 weeks ago I tapered down my other drug, seroquel. I eliminated an entire dose. So, some fall out, for sure,.

Here is my question. I have been taking the dose that is my "goal," and it makes me dreadfully anxious. If I go over (increase) that dose, I tend to  paradox.  To cope with it, I have been adding bumps of .25 at the top, for dose 1 and 2. It doesn't help much. However, if I don't bump, it really is worse. These bumps are what is keeping me stuck at a higher dose, not the dose itself. I am discontinuing those bumps of .25 and tried something else.

I updosed this morning with a .5 bump 2 hours in. It did nothing to calm the dose 1 issues, but made dose 2 easier. Dose 2 is still hard, but not as acute.  I am thinking of doing it tommorrow, and if it helps, continuing. I don't like the idea of bumping, because it increases my daily dosage, but am stuck. I have a feeling it might help a day or two, then prove useless, as the .25 bumps have become. Thoughts?

It is really difficult. And by my 3ed and final dose, it is at its worst. However, I feel like this is the dose my body wants.

Have any of you made a reduction  which was very difficult, and if so, did it ever stabilize?

Is it normal for the dose to immediately increase certain symptoms?

Mostly it's intense anxiety and panic, since I dropped a dose of seroquel, the physical symptoms have toned down. (Interesting.)

But, post seroquel cut my anxiety/panic are very high.

Any input and /or experience welcome.

Baddove,

I am sorry this has been so terrible for you, it sounds like a complete nightmare.  I have no experience with bumping but in my opinion I would avoid this if possible.  I think coming off the other medication and "bumping" has made you unstable.  I would stay at one steady dose for as long as needed and once stable again, try dosing down even 1% per week .  The point is you will be reducing no matter how small of an amount.  I know the anxiety and panic are the worst symptoms. 

When I was in tolerance I went into panic/anxiety at the same times every day between doses, it would last an hour at a time (sometimes much longer).  I fought it for three months and like a switch it stopped.  At that point I knew I could start dosing down.  I couldn't even imagine doing it while I was fighting through that.

You have been doing this a lot longer than me at much higher doses, but this would be the approach I would take.  Give your self the time you need to completely stabilize. If you have to bump up,  stay at that higher dose until you are ready to decrease.  I honestly think this is the only way you will get down further.

Others may know more and can offer additional support. Either way, please know I am thinking of you and praying you can make progress.

I’m so sorry Baddove! I don’t have much experience or advice for you, but just wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you and sending big hugs!  :smitten:

You guys are all rocking it. This process is excruciating, and we  all keep going.

I have a question.

I have been stuck almost 6 months at my current x dose. 2 weeks ago I tapered down my other drug, seroquel. I eliminated an entire dose. So, some fall out, for sure,.

What exactly is your dose per day?

Here is my question. I have been taking the dose that is my "goal," (What is your goal dose?and it makes me dreadfully anxious. If I go over (increase) that dose, I tend to  paradox.  To cope with it, I have been adding bumps  By "Bumps" do you mean that you're taking an extra .25 mgs in between your regular scheduled doses?of .25 at the top, for dose 1 and 2. It doesn't help much. However, if I don't bump, it really is worse. These bumps are what is keeping me stuck at a higher dose, not the dose itself. I am discontinuing those bumps of .25 and tried something else.

I updosed this morning with a .5 bump 2 hours in.Are you saying that you took a .5 mg tablet 2 hours after your usual dose?  What is the amount of the dose that you took prior? It did nothing to calm the dose 1 issues, but made dose 2 easier. Dose 2 is still hard, but not as acute.  I am thinking of doing it tommorrow, and if it helps, continuing. I don't like the idea of bumping, because it increases my daily dosage, but am stuck. I have a feeling it might help a day or two, then prove useless, as the .25 bumps have become. Thoughts?

I'm going to try to help here... although I'm obviouly a bit confused on what your actual dose per day is right now.  First and foremost, dosing 3 times per day on such a short acting benxo like Xanax is very difficult!  Dosing 4 times per day is the norm especially for those of us who have been on them long term.  Our bodies are so used to the medication that interdose withdrawl can (and often does) happen by the 4th hour.  Additionally, after long term use many of us become rapid metabolizers because our body is so accustomed to the drug that it processess it very quickly.  (The latter was told to me by my internist).  Before my updose and hold, my biggest mistake was dosing only 3 times per day versus 4 when I got down to .75 mgs.  It was a disaster!  Truth be told, I did it because it was easier to take three .25 mg doses than weighing out four pills.  Translated: I was lazy - and I paid dearly for it!  I started feeling lousy ALL THE TIME!  It was my biggest mistake throughout my taper and it set me back a full year because it took me a while to determine that it was my dosing schedule rather than the dose itself that was causing so many problems!  If not for that huge mistake, I'd probably be finished with my taper now. 

Hence, first and foremost, you might want to consider dosing 4 times per day (every 4 hours) for several days and see if that helps you stabilize.  I'm not sure what your total daily dose is but obviously, just divide it by 4 for each dose.

It is really difficult. And by my 3ed and final dose, it is at its worst. However, I feel like this is the dose my body wants.

Have any of you made a reduction  which was very difficult, and if so, did it ever stabilize? I have found that if I accidentally wait too long to take my second or third dose, it puts me behind the 8 ball and I can never seem to catch up. I end up having a rough time for the remainder of the day.  So if you're not taking enough at your first dose in the morning, then that .25 "bump" many never catch up.  That has been my experience during my entire taper.

Is it normal for the dose to immediately increase certain symptoms?  Again, because Xanax is such a short acting drug, coupled with interdose withdrawl, rapid metabilization, long term use, etc., you can feel a cut the same day. I can often feel it within hours!...  Unlike those taking V or other longer acting drugs who may not feel the cut for several days to a week, we can feel it almost immediately!

Mostly it's intense anxiety and panic, since I dropped a dose of seroquel, the physical symptoms have toned down. (Interesting.)

I hope this helped a bit.  It's almost 11:30 pm my time and I'm laying in bed exhausted but wanted to try to help before I went to sleep.

I wish my body and mind allowed me to write more.  However, it would help if you let me know exactly what your dosing schedule is.  Maybe once we get that, we can figure out a much smoother plan with dosing 4 times per day instead of 3 which could truly help alleviate some of your symptoms. 

I'll check back in tomorrow.  If you happen to see this tonight, maybe start dosing 4 times per day in the morning and let us know how you make out.

Fondly,

Lori

I have a question.

What exactly is your dose per day?   I am allowed 9mgs, my current/goal is 3 doses at  2.75 per dose x 3 for a total of 8.25mgs a day. I hit my goal of  2.75 for each dose yesterday.. All of my doses as of now are 2.75, for clarity, except the bumps. I was at 2.9, but gradually cut dose 3, then dose 2, then dose 1 down to 2.75. Took about 2 months to get here. It is a .16 mg difference per dose. My goal is to stay at 2.75, and stop bumping. I know I will leave it at 2.75., it's the bumps, which I will only take 1 @.5 mid dose if I am really struggling starting today. I may have to taper down the bumps.

Here is my question. I have been taking the dose that is my "goal," (What is your goal dose?and it makes me dreadfully anxious. If I go over (increase) that dose, I tend to  paradox.  To cope with it, I have been adding bumps  By "Bumps" do you mean that you're taking an extra .25 mgs in between your regular scheduled doses?of .25 at the top, for dose 1 and 2. It doesn't help much. However, if I don't bump, it really is worse. These bumps are what is keeping me stuck at a higher dose, not the dose itself. I am discontinuing those bumps of .25 and tried something else. I was taking  a .25 dose in 2 hours, have stopped. It wasn't helping anyway.

I updosed this morning with a .5 bump 2 hours in.Are you saying that you took a .5 mg tablet 2 hours after your usual dose?  What is the amount of the dose that you took prior? It did nothing to calm the dose 1 issues, but made dose 2 easier. Dose 2 is still hard, but not as acute.  I am thinking of doing it tommorrow, and if it helps, continuing. I don't like the idea of bumping, because it increases my daily dosage, but am stuck. I have a feeling it might help a day or two, then prove useless, as the .25 bumps have become. Thoughts?  Yes, I took a .5 bump 2 hours into dose 1. Dose 1 was 2.75

I'm going to try to help here... although I'm obviouly a bit confused on what your actual dose per day is right now.  First and foremost, dosing 3 times per day on such a short acting benxo like Xanax is very difficult!  Dosing 4 times per day is the norm especially for those of us who have been on them long term.  Our bodies are so used to the medication that interdose withdrawl can (and often does) happen by the 4th hour.  Additionally, after long term use many of us become rapid metabolizers because our body is so accustomed to the drug that it processess it very quickly.  (The latter was told to me by my internist).  Before my updose and hold, my biggest mistake was dosing only 3 times per day versus 4 when I got down to .75 mgs.  It was a disaster!  Truth be told, I did it because it was easier to take three .25 mg doses than weighing out four pills.  Translated: I was lazy - and I paid dearly for it!  I started feeling lousy ALL THE TIME!  It was my biggest mistake throughout my taper and it set me back a full year because it took me a while to determine that it was my dosing schedule rather than the dose itself that was causing so many problems!  If not for that huge mistake, I'd probably be finished with my taper now. I tried going to 4 doses, that was 2.25 x 4. It was a disaster. The lower doses did nothing for me, and after a week, I went back to 3 doses to get some relief. I absolutely agree that 4 doses are better, but I can't handle that dose right now. At 2.25 I would be at the full 9mgs..

Hence, first and foremost, you might want to consider dosing 4 times per day (every 4 hours) for several days and see if that helps you stabilize.  I'm not sure what your total daily dose is but obviously, just divide it by 4 for each dose.

Have any of you made a reduction  which was very difficult, and if so, did it ever stabilize? I have found that if I accidentally wait too long to take my second or third dose, it puts me behind the 8 ball and I can never seem to catch up. I end up having a rough time for the remainder of the day.  So if you're not taking enough at your first dose in the morning, then that .25 "bump" many never catch up.  That has been my experience during my entire taper. I Suspected this.

Is it normal for the dose to immediately increase certain symptoms?  Again, because Xanax is such a short acting drug, coupled with interdose withdrawl, rapid metabilization, long term use, etc., you can feel a cut the same day. I can often feel it within hours!...  Unlike those taking V or other longer acting drugs who may not feel the cut for several days to a week, we can feel it almost immediately! I feel it immediately as well

I hope this helped a bit.  It's almost 11:30 pm my time and I'm laying in bed exhausted but wanted to try to help before I went to sleep.

I wish my body and mind allowed me to write more.  However, it would help if you let me know exactly what your dosing schedule is.  Maybe once we get that, we can figure out a much smoother plan with dosing 4 times per day instead of 3 which could truly help alleviate some of your symptoms. 

I'll check back in tomorrow.  If you happen to see this tonight, maybe start dosing 4 times per day in the morning and let us know how you make out.

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks Lori. I see my pdoc tommorrow for my annual physical. He may tell me to cut, he may not. Depending on that visit, I might have to reduce, will find out. If he leaves my dosage as is, I will start working out of the 1 bump I am allowing myself starting today. I have huge pre-appointment anxiety (for any appointment), and want to be as sound as possible for my physical. Hence, will not drop the 1 bump today.

I absolutely agree that 4 doses would work better. However, every time I cut my max allowed dosage into 4, I got nothing from them. The longest I made it was a week.  I am struggling at 2.75 as it is.(This is day 2) I did cut to 2.59 3x a day for 3 days to try and reduce a while back. I was in acute wd in 3 days, and put .16 back (adding up to 2.75). The level of pain was just suffering, and would not help me get stable, much less help me taper.  What I learned from that is to only cut 1 dose at a time, most likely the last one, number 3. Another thing I learned is that that on better days, cut that little bit, and on bad days don't. To ease into it. That is how I finally just got down to 2.75 for each dose. It took about a month to get all the doses to 2.75, and often, they feel low, but I am staying here. Now I need to start in on the bumps.

Woke up better today (the best wake up in at least a month), no bumps d 1. I may bump dose 2 @ .5 to "buy some time," as I think of it to dose 3. I never bump d3, I just get through it. I take a seroquel dose in 4 hours from it's ingestion to deal with the interdose, it works.

Thank you for putting so much time and thought into this. I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. Again, I agree 4 doses would be much better, but I can't get to that dosage. As I said, even dropping .16 from the 2.75 was excruciating, and I had to stop after 3 days.

T

I absolutely agree that 4 doses would work better. However, every time I cut my max allowed dosage into 4, I got nothing from them. The longest I made it was a week.  I am struggling at 2.75 as it is.(This is day 2) I did cut to 2.59 3x a day for 3 days to try and reduce a while back. I was in acute wd in 3 days, and put .16 back (adding up to 2.75). The level of pain was just suffering, and would not help me get stable, much less help me taper.  What I learned from that is to only cut 1 dose at a time, most likely the last one, number 3. Another thing I learned is that that on better days, cut that little bit, and on bad days don't. To ease into it. That is how I finally just got down to 2.75 for each dose. It took about a month to get all the doses to 2.75, and often, they feel low, but I am staying here. Now I need to start in on the bumps.

Woke up better today (the best wake up in at least a month), no bumps d 1. I may bump dose 2 @ .5 to "buy some time," as I think of it to dose 3. I never bump d3, I just get through it. I take a seroquel dose in 4 hours from it's ingestion to deal with the interdose, it works.

Thank you for putting so much time and thought into this. I hope I have answered your questions to your satisfaction. Again, I agree 4 doses would be much better, but I can't get to that dosage. As I said, even dropping .16 from the 2.75 was excruciating, and I had to stop after 3 days.

From what I can deduce, 2.75 mgs 3x's per day puts you at 8.25 but adding the "bumps" puts you at 9 milligrams per day (the "bumps" DO count as a dose).  It's no wonder you're struggling with only doing the 3 doses as your body has been on this for a very long time and the bumps you're giving it continue to let your body know that you're at 9 milligrams (which you've been at in the past) and additionally, you're getting 4-5 doses per day with those updoses without truly counting them as doses. Giving them a lable of "bumps" is nothing more than just a label because they are in fact true doses.  Hence with them, you've actually been dosing 5 times per day so going back to 3 would give you a jolt! Just because they aren't your full 2.75 dose, doesn't mean that they don't count towards your total dose.  Trying to remove those is of course going to cause symptoms because you're esentially removing doses of either .25 or .5! Bottom line, this is completely erratic.

At this point, my thought would be to forget trying to be at 8.25 (3 dose regime) and just start again at 9 milligrams since you've been taking that anyway but divide them equally with 4 doses and begin tapering. All the literature out there strongly recommends dosing 4 times per day with a short acting benzo such as Xanax.  I know that you've stated that this feels like your taking "nothing" when you do this and the only reason for that could be prior erratic dosing and/or tolerance. The latter is common.  Unbeknownst to me, I was in tolerance w/d for years prior to my taper.  It sucks but it's real! But do you really want to go above 9 miligrams to "try" to remedy that? I wouldn't.  Also, the lower I get in my taper, the LESS the tolerance symtoms are!

It may not be pleasant for a week or more as your body adjusts to 2.25 per dose, but I would think it would eventually stabilize since no matter how you slice it, you'll be taking 9 milligrams again which you say is your all time high and/or allotment and to be honest, is what you're taking withyour "bumps" anyway. At  the end of the day, we all know that "Equal spacing/dosing" especially for long term, high dose people, is the best way to go.

I know you've been at this since at least June of 2016 (almost 5 years) and are pretty much still at the same dose so it's obvious that you need a new strategy.  Dosing 3 times per day and using bumps doesn't seem to be working.  The added doses may keep you "functional" but it certianly isn't helping you taper off. I don't know anything about seroquel as I've never taken it.  The only other solution "may" be to not taper that at all until you're finished your Xanax taper if it offers help.  Just a thought.  Again, I know nothing about it.

I know that this process absolutely sucks but if the objective is to finally get off of this medication, as we've both seen over the past 5 years, keeping an equal and level amount in our system throughout the day remains the most trusted method of tapering.  Erratic dosing is a recipe for disaster as it confuses an already very destabilized CNS.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks Lori, agree with everything. I quit "bumping" d1. So, one down. I will keep cutting the bumps.  When I stopped all of them, it ws a really bad day. As I said somewhere back there, I need to taper off the bumps.

Once I get off of them, and stabilize, I will either try 4 doses again, or cut the  2.75 doses. Have learned to cut one dose at a time.

I am tapering seroquel a bit aggressively. Goal is not to get rid of it (I wouldn't sleep,) but get it way down. That taper is not giving me problems, shockingly.

Burned my dominant hand, badly, so it's hard to type. Will not be as active until it starts to heal.

Thank you for all the thought you put into this. I do take it very seriously.

Hi all,

Baddove- I do agree with Lori about the 4 doses.  I did have to do something a little different for me.  My first dose of the day is the largest of the day because it has been so long since the last dose of the day from the day before.  The other 3 doses of the day are the same.

I have been having a really hard time the last few months and now am really scared.  I want to make a cut but I can not seem to stabilize.  About 4 months ago I accidentally did a double cut and was dizzy and off balance and had ear pressure for over 2 months.  It was horrible.  Then I made another cut and within a week my side and stomach started hurting really bad.  I ended up going to the hospital to be told that nothing was wrong physically with me so I know it was the cut.  After over a week, the pain subsided in my stomach and side.  A couple days ago, I have started with the dizziness and off balance and ear pressure again.  Last night took a short nap and woke up to a bad headache, ear ache, off balance and then crying.  The crying is because I am SO SICK of this crao!  I need to stabilize and make another cut. I had to updose before I ended up at the ER and am still on that dose.  I do have an appointment with an EMT doctor on April 6th .  From what I have read - it could be from the Eustachian tubes in my ears.  I have all the symptoms but I know it could be from the cut too.

I do not know what the hell to do.  I am sad and frustrated and SCARED!!! 

I also found out that the ingredient in the vaccine that I thought I was allergic to - is something that is in one of the meds I take daily anyway so I decided to get the vaccine.  Om March 9th I got the vaccine and was really tired for 2 days and the stomach pain was intensified but after 2 days I was ok from the vaccine.  I get my second dose on March 30th.  My doctor told me 2 years ago that I was allergic to this ingredient but come to find out-- that was not so and here I was getting upset and worried because I thought I could not get vaccinated.  I have had alot of docs tell me I am allergic to meds and now I am wondering how true that is.  I do however, know for sure that I am allergic to steroids.

I just am floored by what is going on with me.  I also have a pinched nerve in my back which is the cause of the sciatica in my left leg.  That is a little better.  I can not get cortisone shots as I am highly allergic to steroids and the ortho doc says I can not do the PT as I have done that before and it does nothing for me. 

Since I got under 1 mg, it has been pure hell for me.  I want to be able to move forward.  The last 4 to 5 months have been the roughest since I started my taper 2 years ago.  I want and need relief.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Love to all.

Julia