Important Survey - Please Participate ×

My home is one big mess

[tr...]

Thank you Estee, hope you have a nice day too :)

I'm trying a new decluttering method in which I don't have to organize anything, I just need to fill a bag. Here's how it works. I keep a large bag near my closet and whenever I come across with something that gives me negative vibes, I just put it in the bag. Sometimes I'm exploring a pile of stuff and other times I'm just trying to find something nice and want that junk out of my way. When the bag is full, it's time to leave my life forever. I take it to give away or, even better, I blackmail someone to do it for me. It's still early but the ratio between the number of wearable clothes and those that might be fashionable one day is already increasing :)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Es...]

• [tr...]

• [Ma...]

• [Gr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying a new decluttering method in which I don't have to organize anything, I just need to fill a bag. Here's how it works. I keep a large bag near my closet and whenever I come across with something that gives me negative vibes, I just put it in the bag. Sometimes I'm exploring a pile of stuff and other times I'm just trying to find something nice and want that junk out of my way. When the bag is full, it's time to leave my life forever. I take it to give away or, even better, I blackmail someone to do it for me. It's still early but the ratio between the number of wearable clothes and those that might be fashionable one day is already increasing :)

It sounds really good, Magnesi. I’ m gonna try it. I more or less know which clothes I want to discard. And even where they hang. I just cannot bring myself to discard them. Don’t know why. For me even clothes have sentimental value...

It sounds really good, Magnesi. I’ m gonna try it. I more or less know which clothes I want to discard. And even where they hang. I just cannot bring myself to discard them. Don’t know why. For me even clothes have sentimental value...

I understand. I have a father, one sister and one daughter that also have a lot of difficulty discarding stuff. I have some too but I start feeling suffocated when things become really messy while they have much higher tolerance. When I was a tidy, organized person, I would keep the clothes with sentimental value (baby clothes, party dresses) in boxes and review them little by little, when I had some time, in order to keep only the best. The others I would give away. It becomes easier when you think that they'll go to someone that can't afford buying them.

But, it's a day for us too, when everything is as usual. Maybe, I'm becoming a pedant? Rather than this, for now I'm so tired of the mess! :)

Wanna talk about a mess? Try downsizing into a 200 sq ft tiny house. I have been here since monday and I can still barely move.

Life is hard when your brain doesn't work.

Alright, I'm back.  I was at my father's this week and he took care of a lot of things.  It was so nice to feel like someone was taking care of me. 

The landlords are done with their construction in my kitchen and it actually looks nice.  They did do it in the amount of time they said, and someone even cleaned up after themselves, so I am quite happy with that.  I ordered a bunch of boxes and I'm actually ready to start packing for my move this summer !!!

I listened to this audio book, "Speak Peace" by Marshall Rosenberg who talks about nonviolent communication and he has this theory about what motivates us to do stuff and that we should not do things because we think we ought to but because we want to.  And it's very interesting because if you do something because you want to, and are intrinsically motivated it is more satisfying to you and it is easier.  So I am not going to clean because I have to, because that causes resentment for me.  I am trying to figure out exactly how I DO feel about it. 

• 8 months later...

I also had problems keeping up with what I needed doing, live on my own with my 2 dogs. I do try and do as much as I can everyday. Recently I have purchased a great helper - roomba 980 after doing my own. The new roombas are amazing! I had to really think long and hard before plunking down the cash for this roomba. It helps me keep at least the floors clean:)

Edit: Removed commercial link.

I also had problems keeping up with what I needed doing, live on my own with my 2 dogs. I do try and do as much as I can everyday. Recently I have purchased a great helper - roomba 980 after doing my own research. The new roombas are amazing! I had to really think long and hard before plunking down the cash for this roomba. It helps me keep at least the floors clean:)

What do the dogs think of it?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have found this whole process is one of "letting go" of many things, including, ironically, thoughts of just how much you're letting go of!

Yes, it's troubling, but have zero energy & in physical pain, so thinking about it, for me, only adds upset. 

Good luck all -

• 3 months later...

How is it going for you? Why does it take 10 minutes to cause a big mess, but 100 times longer to clean?

What have I done?!  :crazy:

How is it going for you? Why does it take 10 minutes to cause a big mess, but 100 times longer to clean?

Our motto, dust is the new black....... ;)

Oh well. I guess this is all about bad habits. Not putting things away where they belong.

Besides, I still buy largely more stuff than I need. Mainly for the home.

Then I have difficulties getting rid of it. Cause "I may use it" one day.

If it weren't for the KonMari method, I would probably go nuts. I still have the hope that one day I will tackle this mess. And live in the home of my dreams. Uncluttered.

Meanwhile, I have some items "for the home" waiting to be unpacked.

Cause I lost interest in them after I had bought them. I just used my shopping addiction to escape the negative feelings. But they are still there. Packed in boxes inside my apt.

Yes Mary, "dust is the new black!"

Since I still live on my sofa, there should be no problems. But when the table is full of things, I continue with my carpet. It looks like I'm camping, here is everything you could wish for. My constant motto is "tomorrow I'll clean". And I hope, everything disappear when I'm sleeping, surprise!  :thumbsup:

But I'm so disappointed.

Yes Mary, "dust is the new black!"

Since I still live on my sofa, there should be no problems. But when the table is full of things, I continue with my carpet. It looks like I'm camping, here is everything you could wish for. My constant motto is "tomorrow I'll clean". And I hope, everything disappear when I'm sleeping, surprise!  :thumbsup:

But I'm so disappointed.

I know, but I don't let it bother me much anymore.  Too many times just getting through wd.  We will have plenty of time to clean then.  I have always been a big reader, note taker, so there's always a pile of stuff near me.  Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much.  Don't be disappointed, you are most important  :)

I'm disappointed, that it hasn't been cleaned when I sleep. But I don't know how ....

Sometimes I'm thinking about it, and sometimes not. When I feel better, I love to clean. My biggest problem is that I can't find my stuff! But they are probably on my carpet.  :crazy:

I'm disappointed, that it hasn't been cleaned when I sleep. But I don't know how ....

Sometimes I'm thinking about it, and sometimes not. When I feel better, I love to clean. My biggest problem is that I can't find my stuff! But they are probably on my carpet.  :crazy:

:). You can do just a tiny bit maybe, just to find the most important stuff.  I have bought new stuff off Amazon and can't find it :laugh: I can't find my IPod.  :smitten: :smitten:  sucks

Cuz: Me too! Everything is a big mess.

On TV they say: "pack a suitcase" or "we will make a trip". Right now it's completely impossible, where should I start? It doesn't work, and I'm back on the couch. This is my life, without any organization or being prepared. Life is in this mess; both in my head, the body, home and everything. :idiot:

Things have gotten slightly better here.  I have moved and most of our stuff is still in boxes.  But the house is much cleaner looking.  I have a service come in once a month now and do all the things I don't. 

Cuz: Me too! Everything is a big mess.

On TV they say: "pack a suitcase" or "we will make a trip". Right now it's completely impossible, where should I start? It doesn't work, and I'm back on the couch. This is my life, without any organization or being prepared. Life is in this mess; both in my head, the body, home and everything. :idiot:

I feel this way. I feel really out of control with regard to organization. If I were well I’d be so organized right now.

I've more or less kept up with the kitchen, but everything else has gone straight to hell. Glad my husband isn't a fastidious sort. I'm embarrassed about the mess, but can't seem to get the ambition to clean up much.

Things have gotten slightly better here.  I have moved and most of our stuff is still in boxes.  But the house is much cleaner looking. 

Yep, the boxes certainly come in useful ;D

Lots of boxes at my place, as well. Since I don't have the energy to unpack.

I'm wondering how did I have the energy to buy this stuff...

And then it kind of went away.

Things have gotten slightly better here.  I have moved and most of our stuff is still in boxes.  But the house is much cleaner looking. 

Yep, the boxes certainly come in useful ;D

Lots of boxes at my place, as well. Since I don't have the energy to unpack.

I'm wondering how did I have the energy to buy this stuff...

And then it kind of went away.

Estee, I have bought a lot from Amazon during wd, don't know where I have put some of it  :(

Seems I am always telling Tim, I can't find something  :laugh: :laugh:  really isn't funny, true  :(