Head pressure and squeezing.

[fr...]

27 months out and still have burning squeezing thingling head scalp. Very high anxiety  :'(

Going for MRI in October.

Can MRI have a bad effect on us? So scared to have more pain

Anybody had a bad set back after MRI?

I'm losing hope at this point I ever going to heal.

Vica

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Vi...]

• [Kl...]

• [Aj...]

• [Ho...]

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't recall people stating adverse reactions (worsening of symptoms) after an MRI (although it can really ramp up anxiety in some to have one - being enclosed, etc. - I don't find it anxiety provoking myself). 

In my 6th month of C/T I was hit with a lot of head symptoms for a couple of months. Shooting pains up my head, neck stiffness, burning, tingling, sore scalp, headache, etc.  I found that using cold sometimes, heat others (switching based on what "sounded good" at that moment) helped.  Watching my posture (never leaning forward to type, not constantly on phone or reading a book) also helped.  Very careful how I sat.  Didn't sleep on the "bad side" (once was worse than the other).  Extreme pressure in ears and side of head.

I also tried (on the recommendation of another BB-er) Tiger Balm.  I know it sounds crazy becasue I could not put it on my scalp obviously, but I would put it high on my neck in back, and on my temples and just below my hairline.  I have read that the ingredients can interrupt the nerve pain cycle.  It DID help me quite a lot.  The more my pain/burning/tingling would alleviate, the more my anxiety would ramp down.  When it flared (the anxiety), my pain would also go up.  For me, anxiety is clearly totally linked with my pain symptoms. 

I started doing meditation using phone apps (and natural pain healing/relief).  THis helped me also (maybe a combo of reasons - even just distracting me from being completely focused on my symptoms).  Over time mine has eased.  I've had more than one wave of it returning, but never as bad as originally and it slips further and further away over time for me....

Once you have an "all clear" from your MRI, maybe that will alleviate a little of your anxiety and that will help also....

Best of luck...

i don't recall people stating adverse reactions (worsening of symptoms) after an MRI (although it can really ramp up anxiety in some to have one - being enclosed, etc. - I don't find it anxiety provoking myself). 

In my 6th month of C/T I was hit with a lot of head symptoms for a couple of months. Shooting pains up my head, neck stiffness, burning, tingling, sore scalp, headache, etc.  I found that using cold sometimes, heat others (switching based on what "sounded good" at that moment) helped.  Watching my posture (never leaning forward to type, not constantly on phone or reading a book) also helped.  Very careful how I sat.  Didn't sleep on the "bad side" (once was worse than the other).  Extreme pressure in ears and side of head.

I also tried (on the recommendation of another BB-er) Tiger Balm.  I know it sounds crazy becasue I could not put it on my scalp obviously, but I would put it high on my neck in back, and on my temples and just below my hairline.  I have read that the ingredients can interrupt the nerve pain cycle.  It DID help me quite a lot.  The more my pain/burning/tingling would alleviate, the more my anxiety would ramp down.  When it flared (the anxiety), my pain would also go up.  For me, anxiety is clearly totally linked with my pain symptoms. 

I started doing meditation using phone apps (and natural pain healing/relief).  THis helped me also (maybe a combo of reasons - even just distracting me from being completely focused on my symptoms).  Over time mine has eased.  I've had more than one wave of it returning, but never as bad as originally and it slips further and further away over time for me....

Once you have an "all clear" from your MRI, maybe that will alleviate a little of your anxiety and that will help also....

Best of luck...

Hi thank you for writing back to me. Very much appreciate it!

Just to see I'm not alone and this pain and with time did better for you give me so much hope. :smitten:

Can I ask how long you had this pain? I have it now 3 years, and is not much better. Maybe it was 9-10 on a scale now is morning 7 evening 8-9.

Thank you again

Love and healing

Vica

Mine lasted a few months. It is mostly gone now but flares once in a while.  Take a look online at "occipital neuralgia" and "forward head posture". I believe that it is triggered by tight muscles in your neck and lower head and scalp.  The tight muscles are the result of the benzo withdrawal and squeeze the nerves etc in the head.  I do everything I can to relax those muscles. If I don’t then the pain etc returns. I sleep without being propped up on pillows. If I don’t do all the stuff I listed mine tightens back up.  I also eat a very clean diet and low glutamate. No MSG at all that I can avoid. 

Best of luck...

Just to see I'm not alone and this pain did better for you give me so much hope. :smitten:

Can I ask how long you had this pain? I have it now 3 years, and is not much better. Maybe it was 9-10 on a scale now is morning 7 evening 8-9.

Thank you again

Love and healing

Vica

I have this SO bad. My neurologist actually diagnosed me with occipital neuralgia and cervicalgia. I had a recent accident and that is when it started. Benzos were supposed to help. It’s so bad it just keeps getting worse. It reaches from under my head to neck up ears and to face and now forehead and scalp. It’s a burning pain and it is constant. I get the worst migraines with auras and sensitivity to light and sounds or really any sensory input. But I get bad ringing in my ears and pressure changes in my head my ears feel clogged then unclogged. It’s constant. Very hard to sleep. My head and face and neck get all super hot like I have a fever. Neurologist wants to do lidocaine and steroid injections as physical therapy and electrical stimulation and massage therapy didn’t touch it. They say it feels like solid bone. Hurts SO bad. I feel your pain. Hard to think.

Thanks

Jo

Best of luck...

Just to see I'm not alone and this pain did better for you give me so much hope. :smitten:

Thank you again

Love and healing

Vica

I have this SO bad. My neurologist actually diagnosed me with occipital neuralgia and cervicalgia. I had a recent accident and that is when it started. Benzos were supposed to help. It’s so bad it just keeps getting worse. It reaches from under my head to neck up ears and to face and now forehead and scalp. It’s a burning pain and it is constant. I get the worst migraines with auras and sensitivity to light and sounds or really any sensory input. But I get bad ringing in my ears and pressure changes in my head my ears feel clogged then unclogged. It’s constant. Very hard to sleep. My head and face and neck get all super hot like I have a fever. Neurologist wants to do lidocaine and steroid injections as physical therapy and electrical stimulation and massage therapy didn’t touch it. They say it feels like solid bone. Hurts SO bad. I feel your pain. Hard to think.

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jojo, I'm sorry you having this terrible pain too. I'm going to neurologist in 2 weeks to see what she can do for me. I told her I won't take any medication bc I believe the medication is the reason I'm in this pain now. She dos not push.

I see you were on a lots of different medication and you kindle few times too just like me. I went on  and off 5 time in 2 years benzo and remeron and my brain is fried completely. I'm off all the medication 6 months now and what I can do is ice my head and putting cold water on it.

Melissa told me is very hard for a brain to get better and heal when you still on medication. I know is extremely hard to hang on without medication,,,, trust me I know. I'm in this for 3 years now.

How long you have this pain?

Vica

Mine lasted a few months. It is mostly gone now but flares once in a while.  Take a look online at "occipital neuralgia" and "forward head posture". I believe that it is triggered by tight muscles in your neck and lower head and scalp.  The tight muscles are the result of the benzo withdrawal and squeeze the nerves etc in the head.  I do everything I can to relax those muscles. If I don’t then the pain etc returns. I sleep without being propped up on pillows. If I don’t do all the stuff I listed mine tightens back up.  I also eat a very clean diet and low glutamate. No MSG at all that I can avoid.

Hi, TN, yes  I'm sure that's what I have. I tiped a few weeks ago severe scalp pain in Google and that's what came up. I know that's what I have. Occipital neuralgia very severe form. Not even able  to sleep without ice on my head. Triggering severe anxiety and I'm exhausted with pain and anxiety all day with tinnitus and body pain.

I'm in gluten free diet, don't eat msg, no coffee no alcohol for 1.5 years now still not getting better.

Did you used ice on your head? How did you get some relief?

Vica

Vica

Also google "head forward posture headaches" also.  If you read a lot about this (and occipital neuralgia) it has a lot of info that says it is made worse by things like working on a computer, using your phone, reading a book in your lap.  These things also contribute.  Also the way you sleep.  It says never to sleep with your head up on multiple pillows.  I changed all of these things.  I use one mostly flat pillow now.  I keep my spine and head aligned as much as I can.  I don't sit the same in my chair (now I'm very upright, no bending over).  I have tried to cut back a lot on my computer usage and get up every 20-30 minutes and stretch.  I have found these things helped. 

For me mine was definitely from the benzo's.  I could feel my muscles kind of "contract" in the back of my head and scalp at times.  It says that those tight muscles squeeze the nerves and double the pain.  I used both heat and cold.  Sometimes I just had to try one or the other to see which one felt better.  I used ice sometimes but heat really relaxes my muscles too.  I bought a special longer narrow microwave heating pad and kept it around my neck in the evenings (if i wasnt using ice).  I also bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4M02IM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

This did help my neck to relax.  I used it a few minutes each day usually.

And as I mentioned, I used Tiger Balm on the upper part of my neck,behind my ears, and on the forehead below my hairline when I went to bed.

Along with my diet, I found that these things did help (it didnt make it all go away but it helped)...and slowly it went away mostly. 

I hope yours is improving.  It takes work!

As I get lower on my dosage I'm getting the neck tightness, scalp tingling, nerve pain at base of head/neck area , headaches, muscles pulling at temples.

I'm doing the PT for now so hopefully it'll improve. Some days I feel oh wow it's gone and other days it not good as I'm still tapering.

Vica

Also google "head forward posture headaches" also.  If you read a lot about this (and occipital neuralgia) it has a lot of info that says it is made worse by things like working on a computer, using your phone, reading a book in your lap.  These things also contribute.  Also the way you sleep.  It says never to sleep with your head up on multiple pillows.  I changed all of these things.  I use one mostly flat pillow now.  I keep my spine and head aligned as much as I can.  I don't sit the same in my chair (now I'm very upright, no bending over).  I have tried to cut back a lot on my computer usage and get up every 20-30 minutes and stretch.  I have found these things helped. 

For me mine was definitely from the benzo's.  I could feel my muscles kind of "contract" in the back of my head and scalp at times.  It says that those tight muscles squeeze the nerves and double the pain.  I used both heat and cold.  Sometimes I just had to try one or the other to see which one felt better.  I used ice sometimes but heat really relaxes my muscles too.  I bought a special longer narrow microwave heating pad and kept it around my neck in the evenings (if i wasnt using ice).  I also bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4M02IM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

This did help my neck to relax.  I used it a few minutes each day usually.

And as I mentioned, I used Tiger Balm on the upper part of my neck,behind my ears, and on the forehead below my hairline when I went to bed.

Along with my diet, I found that these things did help (it didnt make it all go away but it helped)...and slowly it went away mostly. 

I hope yours is improving.  It takes work!

Thank you TN for writing me back and giving me so much good advice. :smitten: I will try everything and hoping and praying is will work for me too.

Love and healing

Vica

Caitn

Sounds like you’re managing to keep it a little in control! That’s great!

I noticed that  when I read a lot of on my computer that I tend to have bad posture like you said and I would use a heat pad on my neck, so it has helped somewhat but still have the tingling in my scalp, some nerve pain, headaches.

I think the PT has helped  but there is only so much it can do.

Try to pay a lot of attention to your posture.  I was shocked at how much I would catch myself with "head forward" - at the computer, at the table, sitting on the sofa leafing through a magazine...also if you stretch your arms out in front of you (like using a mouse) it makes it worse.  I watched it all the time and really worked to stop it.  It did help and slowly the muscles relaxed some...that helped the tingling in turn. The pressure was awful also...it gets better!

10 months off and it feels like my head is being squeezed by some insane water pressure inside and out. My ears feel blocked, my eyes feel squeezed and burn, my nose feels squeezed and numb. I get weird nausea and dry heaving with this.

It gets worse when standing or sitting up.

Many doctors checked me for POTS and it's actually the opposite for me: my blood pressure rises when I stand up. So maybe that's why my head feels worse when standing.

I had horrendous head pressure,boatyness,dizziness etc daily for 2 months in tolerance withdrawal! This was exactly a year ago.Then i was hit with insomnia.Head pressure had lessened and would come back for few days a month only.By the time i finished taper it was gone ,havent had it for 5 months (had other symptoms in the meantime).I thought it was gone for good! Now 4 months off it came back and is now daily!!!! Will it ever go way ? Its debilitating ! It seems like it gets worse when weather/barometric pressure changes.Has anyone noticed that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

10 months off and it feels like my head is being squeezed by some insane water pressure inside and out. My ears feel blocked, my eyes feel squeezed and burn, my nose feels squeezed and numb. I get weird nausea and dry heaving with this.

It gets worse when standing or sitting up.

Many doctors checked me for POTS and it's actually the opposite for me: my blood pressure rises when I stand up. So maybe that's why my head feels worse when standing.

I have horrible squeezing all around head, face, nose, forehead, jaw (and rest of body actually).

I too have the ears feeling full, blocked thing and as each dose wears off my eyes squeeze and water - it is like tears are literally being squeezed out of them.

My blood pressure is starting to go all over the place.

Neck is so tight & weak I can no longer hold head on it. - I feel constantly concussed and head whooshes and sloshes.

I just wish there was one lying down position that did’t feel like my back needs to ‘snap’ and release and in which Icould get remotely comfortable.

• 1 month later...

31 months out and still struggling with this head/ scalp pain. Sometimes the burning is better and I find the squeezing is better too but still 70% times I’m in severe pain.

My body is exhausted. Feeling more and more depressed bc this headpain

Ice still helps me and now sometimes Tylenol started to help too. Before is never helped.

Anybody getting better with symptoms?

Vica

• 2 weeks later...

I describe the head vice and tension headache and ear pressure/ringing/fubar vision as my brain ran out of my ears and crawled away and I can't find it. When it is very bad, I also get vertigo.

I do daily yoga, and also physical therapy. I have degenerative discs in my neck, and wd has made things exponentially worse.

I have been a yogi for years to deal with my neck issues, and find it helps overall, because of the intentional breath (calms nervous system) and it also strengthens supporting muscles, and loosens the inevitable tightness we experience. I can't do the harder yoga (vinyasa) I could before all this, but hatha and yin focused on stretching, core and balance (to offset the floatiness, it really helps) are very helpful. Yoga is excellent for addressing poor posture, which plays into this.

Even if I am floating, my brains have left me and I am dizzy, I do it. For the dizzy days, I stay down, doing floor work. 

I have tension head pain daily, in my sinuses and neck, and my face. When I get the tight band, it is freaky, but I persevere with the yoga. 

You can get excellent classes on YouTube. My favorite site is Do Yoga with me. The founder suffers from anxiety disorder, and has videos about living with this as well as classes. He has numerous other teachers, the range of classes is from very relaxed and easy to stretching and strengthening to vinyasas. His site offers numerous classes for the neck and shoulders, as well as headaches.

• 1 month later...

Anybody can tell success story who recovered from severe headache?

I’m suffering for 33 months... no relief. Losing hope

Vica

I have experienced this for months when I got to 12 mg....and to 10mg and now that I am tapering off again at 5% (which is slow) I have less and less but when I do get it ...it's bad for days.  I cannot take meds for it and the headaches that accompany it, but I use Ice Pads all around my head to sleep at night ...it's the only way I can rest and/or get some sleep even if it's an hour.  The Ice takes down the inflammation and helps alleviate the pain from the pressure to get you through the night.

Phosphatidylserine has helped me a lot with this.  But I had to take a month opening the capsule and taking a tiny bit of it for weeks to make sure I did not have any bad reactions to it.  Now I take 100mg early morning and it really helps me.  Never take the SOY kind, only get the Sun Flower Lecithin Kind.  They usually call it Sharp PS.

Olympic Labs carries it on Amazon if you want to try it but always with anything ...small amts till you know how your body will react and if nothing.....then keep taking it......it takes 4 to 8 weeks before it builds up in your system to work.  Very gentle and it BLOCKS CORTISOL.  But by evening it wears off......which is good bcuz it can keep you awake.  That is why you only take it in the early morning on empty stomach with Alaskan Salmon Oil.  The two work together.  The Salmon Oil takes down Inflammation besides healing the brain.

Hope this helps.

I have experienced this for months when I got to 12 mg....and to 10mg and now that I am tapering off again at 5% (which is slow) I have less and less but when I do get it ...it's bad for days.  I cannot take meds for it and the headaches that accompany it, but I use Ice Pads all around my head to sleep at night ...it's the only way I can rest and/or get some sleep even if it's an hour.  The Ice takes down the inflammation and helps alleviate the pain from the pressure to get you through the night.

Phosphatidylserine has helped me a lot with this.  But I had to take a month opening the capsule and taking a tiny bit of it for weeks to make sure I did not have any bad reactions to it.  Now I take 100mg early morning and it really helps me.  Never take the SOY kind, only get the Sun Flower Lecithin Kind.  They usually call it Sharp PS.

Olympic Labs carries it on Amazon if you want to try it but always with anything ...small amts till you know how your body will react and if nothing.....then keep taking it......it takes 4 to 8 weeks before it builds up in your system to work.  Very gentle and it BLOCKS CORTISOL.  But by evening it wears off......which is good bcuz it can keep you awake.  That is why you only take it in the early morning on empty stomach with Alaskan Salmon Oil.  The two work together.  The Salmon Oil takes down Inflammation besides healing the brain.

Hope this helps.

Hi thank you so much for you respond!

What is this phosphaticdyiserine? Is it a suplement for headache?