Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New 6-12 month buddy group

[Re...]

I have the head "banding" and pain/pressure pretty bad at times, but some days it lets up.  It seems to correlate with the severity of the brain fog.  I'm also getting occasional migraines, which I've never had before.  I hope it gets better soon for all of us!

Colley, how is the lamictal working for you?  I hope you find some relief soon. 

I'm off work tomorrow, and taking off today.  Very long weekend.  It's hard for me when I don't have the routine and distraction of going to work.  Teegirl, I know you rely on routines, and I'm finding that is key for me as well.  Some days are really tough, and I can't do much... even if I only feed the pets and empty the dehumidifier morning and evening, I have a little sense of accomplishment, and feel like I can carry on. 

I'm watching the morning news.... every single commercial break has at least two commercials  for prescriptions drugs.  It's pissing me off.  :tickedoff:

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Kl...]

• [te...]

• [co...]

• [Co...]

hi ComingHome,

yes every morning i eat breakfast and go for a walk or run in the park... it gets me off to a good start ;)

last night i did not sleep well and i am feeling weary, but going to stick to my routine...

i hate those commercials too... they should be illegal!

hugs to you...

Hey guys, so I stopped taking benzos at the beginning of November, so this is month 9. I recently went to a functional medicine practitioner to run a whole battery of tests to see if there's something more going on than sheer benzo withdrawal. I found out that I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so it's autoimmune disease with symptoms similar to hypothyroidism. I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience. As I understand it root causes for Hashimoto's can include neurotransmitter imbalances. I wonder if this is a thyroid issue or a withdrawal issue. Also, with the vision issues, I went and got my eyes examed, and I need glasses with bifocals, and it's hard to make sense of what's withdrawal, and what is legitimate. No matter what it is, all of this gets old. I've worked so diligently to keep a clean diet, to heal my gut, to exercise, and be prayerful. But since I've been off all of the medicines my life has been rebuilt, and it's really difficult at times. I was a single mother, and this has been my first year married. I've moved to another state. My son left home and moved 8 hours away. I've lost my career of 13 years. And I'm seeing what happened to my life after being diagnosed many years ago for the first time. It's been a blessing in lots of ways. But it's been immeasurably hard. Any insight into if or how benzos affect our thyroids would be much appreciated.

hi PeCv, sorry i'm not familiar with thyroiditis, but i encourage you to ask this question in one of the other sections... "post withdrawal support" seems to get a lot more traffic... there are so many people on here that someone is likely to have looked into it before... as for the bifocals, i understand that's pretty normal for people who are 45+ years of age...

I hate to say it but the Lamictal is helping a little. I don't want to be on anything and psyche meds seem to never do much for me but I'm going to give this one a fair go. Dreading the upcoming week 😔

PeCvJw, 

I've been diagnosed with hashimoto's, interstitial cystitis and possibly even pancreatitis.  I wonder every day if I had them prior to benzos or if they are benzo induced symptoms/issues.  I think (IMHO), that being in flight or flight coming off these drugs really increases our levels of inflammation and hence these symptoms/problems.  I'm trying so hard to de-stress, eat an anti-inflammatory diet, take anti-inflammatory supplements and take some short walks to alleviate all this.  I really hope these symptoms will ease up as we recover from benzos.

Hey guys,  9 1/2 months today. it's been up and down, up and down for the past week again. Just had the best night in a long time. I slept 7 1/2 hours without waking at all.

Can't remember the last time that happened, even while on Ambien. Then slept a couple more hours after feeding the cats at 5am. Woke to no muscle pain at all. I think it's been 4 1/2+ months since I could say that.

I feel different this morning, I hope it's not just a one off but for now I'm going to enjoy this wonderful feeling :)

Enjoy your 4th!

Hey guys,  9 1/2 months today. it's been up and down, up and down for the past week again. Just had the best night in a long time. I slept 7 1/2 hours without waking at all.

Can't remember the last time that happened, even while on Ambien. Then slept a couple more hours after feeding the cats at 5am. Woke to no muscle pain at all. I think it's been 4 1/2+ months since I could say that.

I feel different this morning, I hope it's not just a one off but for now I'm going to enjoy this wonderful feeling :)

Enjoy your 4th!

That sounds great, Klungo! Sleeping is the best healer. Good to hear that muscle pain is gone. Did the nerve pain subside, as well?

I really hope that the "silence" on this thread means that we all are healing -- small and steady steps each day!

BurnedOut,

I understand exactly what you're saying. I feel so infuriated because I'm pretty sure these issues have existed for a long time. I'm mad at my family. I'm mad at pharmaceuticals. I'm mad at psychiatrists. I'm mad at all of the folks on ego trips thinking they know what's best. I'm mad at the people who are apathetic and just going along with the status quo. I'm mad because I've been egotistical and apathetic, so I'm mad at myself and the brokenness of this world.

I'm only finding out now that my aunt, great aunt, grandmother, great grandmother all had thyroid issues, but instead of receiving a thorough physical when I was struggling as a child, I was instead thrown in one mental hospital after another. As an adult, I tried to do my due diligence in finding a well educated and respected psychiatrist, who I was incredibly loyal too, and here I am, 37 with a new mess to try to figure out and feeling exhausted. I'm getting ready to lose my insurance. My husband and I are struggling financially, and I don't know what to do. How we're going to make it through this. It's overwhelming on top of everything else.

You mentioned a low inflammatory diet. Are you doing the Auto Immune Paleo Protocol?What labs did you ask for? How did they diagnose the interstitial cystitis and pancreatitis?  I pray all these symptoms will ease up for you and me and all of us. I need to be able to go back to work. This all feels like too much. Sorry, today is no fun. I wish that I could make these wrongs right? But I can't and it's maddening. I'm so filled with unforgiveness right now, that it just hurts.

Well not so good today... had a few windows on the weekend I think. Beginning of the week seems to be tough for me no matter what.

Enjoy your 4th!

That sounds great, Klungo! Sleeping is the best healer. Good to hear that muscle pain is gone. Did the nerve pain subside, as well?

I really hope that the "silence" on this thread means that we all are healing -- small and steady steps each day!

Well.i haven't noticed nerve pain for a couple days now. So maybe it's gone, or maybe it's mild enough that I don't notice it as such, or maybe it will come back, who knows.

Today has been great with some very mild things here and there. I guess the next few days will tell...

Hi guys -- I think I should share.  I was very, very scared today.  I was thrown in acute and can't determine what I might have done to provoke it.  I plowed through the day, denying how awful I felt (nausea, shaky, dizzy, anxious) because I have become used to dismissing everything as withdrawal.  But this wave day is bad, this far out is very freaky.  I drove 2.5 hours yesterday on highways - no problem. 

Playing detective during this process is so depressing -- I keep looking for why - why why?  Why do I feel this way?  No booze, slept ok, no meds (an advil? really?)  I've scoured all food labels but nothing stands out  - sulphur in dried fruit?  Starbucks?  Ugghh. NOthing out of the ordinary except a very bad nightmare last night but why would that destroy the whole day? 

Just pretty bummed.  WBB

Thanks Teegirl! 

Colley, yes, pumpkin seeds are very high in glutamate!  I'm reading about this-apparently much of what I eat is high in glutamate.

Do any of you know much about this?  Any recommendations?  I'm hoping I haven't been making WD worse or slowing down my recovery. I eat a lot of nuts... I also think my protein shake is a problem. Yikes

HA!  Maybe my bad day was due to all those pumpkin seeds I ate in that trailmix yesterday.  Jeez, I can't believe it.  WBB

Hi guys -- I think I should share.  I was very, very scared today.  I was thrown in acute and can't determine what I might have done to provoke it.  I plowed through the day, denying how awful I felt (nausea, shaky, dizzy, anxious) because I have become used to dismissing everything as withdrawal.  But this wave day is bad, this far out is very freaky.  I drove 2.5 hours yesterday on highways - no problem. 

Playing detective during this process is so depressing -- I keep looking for why - why why?  Why do I feel this way?  No booze, slept ok, no meds (an advil? really?)  I've scoured all food labels but nothing stands out  - sulphur in dried fruit?  Starbucks?  Ugghh. NOthing out of the ordinary except a very bad nightmare last night but why would that destroy the whole day? 

Just pretty bummed.  WBB

I'm so sorry to hear that, WBB. The triggers of the waves are mostly obscure. This makes w/d from benzos so difficult to cope with. But please remember this too shall pass...it's just one more challenge in this terrible journey. You are not alone!

HA!  Maybe my bad day was due to all those pumpkin seeds I ate in that trailmix yesterday.  Jeez, I can't believe it.  WBB

WBB, I had trail mix with mostly sunflower and pumpkin seeds.  Patted myself on the back because I was eating healthy. ha.  I went into a terrible wave, and googled the seeds to find they are very high in glutamate. 

I feel like I should just find a few foods that I know don't cause problems and just eat those things only for awhile.  Yesterday I thought I was doing a little better.  I went to Taco Bell for tacos for my son and I, and a couple hours later had increasing anxiety and depression with dp/dr.  Then learned taco bell uses msg in the meat.  Great.  I never had food sensitivities to anything before this.

I think like Fallingstar said, so many of the triggers are just so subtle and obscure - it's probably impossible to figure it all out.

I'm still struggling greatly.  On the one hand, I think my baseline has improved.  On the other hand, the depression is about the same, and feels compounded by the way this is all taking so long.  In addition to the withdrawal-related depression, I'm feeling deeply sad at losing these recent years to benzos and antidepressants. 

WBB--so sorry you had a tough day. have you taken Advil before? i read on wikipedia that Advil can be bad during benzo w/d...

CH--sorry you are having so many food sensitivities. we are so sensitive in w/d. it's so hard. at least with food, once you know, you can avoid it...

Thanks, all.

Weird that I think I was tolerating Advil once in awhile.  Now I'm unsure and will stay away.  I tossed the expensive trail mix out.  Since I am feeling slightly better today, I don't want that stuff around.  I should read all the lit. again.  I remember spinach being a problem - so I'll stay away from those premixed salads.  HOpe everyone is doing OK.  WBB

Another week of our sentence complete! How's the last week been for you?

Mine has been very up and down. Some fantastic windows, some so so days and a couple of bad ones. Yesterday was the worst day in a couple weeks for me, but today has been really good. 10 days til month 11, closer to freedom.

Hope you are all doing ok and getting through the days / weeks as well. We got this!

Great news, Klungo!!  I "hear" a lot more confidence and less frustration in your posts now than 2 or 3 months ago.  I can tell you're feeling better overall.

I'm about the same - still depressed, anxious, fatigued, and a little freaked out still by the whole fact that I'm here...yada yada.  Definitely in a daily pattern - sxs alleviate in the early to late evening, so I get a bit of a breather, but I still feel very very fragile during these times.  I'm not having windows/waves - it's more like I'm mostly at my baseline all the time, and rather than windows, I have daily waves of feeling worse, then it's back to the baseline in the evenings.  I don't know if I'm making sense.

I posted a question on the post-wd support board about how to reintegrate into life later when I'm better.  I think the fact that I'm worrying about this is definitely a sign that I'm getting better.  I also realize I'm just getting bored, and I think it's mostly due to the strong anhedonia.  Anyway... that's what is occupying my leetle thoughts today. 

Yeah I had exactly what you are experiencing in the evenings for long time. Now evenings are just like any other time, some good some bad. Overall I feel ok to good when not in waves. Once the mornings got better for me around 7 months ish it's been for the most part that way.

I get bored a lot now and restless so I try to get out. Sometimes it's hard because you don't know when you'll start to feel crappy. Exercise seems the best thing at the moment because I can carry on in spite of sx when I do.

I can't wait until mornings are good.  they're a little better.  I'm not yanked out of sleep with the cortisol rush quite as much.  I have a second or two some mornings, before it hits.  That sounds like a small thing, but it's huge because I'm awake enough to breathe through it now so it isn't as distressing.  But I still wake up full of dread/depression.... all the yucky stuff.