The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

I have been taking clonopin for a year. I'm taking 2mg divided into two doses. I want to taper off semi fast was thinking of dropping 0.5 every 1-2 weeks depending on how I feel. Is taking it for a year a long time to do that kind of taper.

I just want to be off of it cuz it doesn't do much for my anxiety anymore,I even think it makes it worse. Makes me feel tired, slow, memory ain't that sharp anymore,just feel useless when on k. What could I expect from 0.5 taper? My only concern is I would have to do it with one of the doses not divide 0.5 less into two until my scale arrives. Or just do it slow and wait for the scale,but can't really see my self doing a year taper because how bad I want of off this drug. I might consider it idk. What could I expect from tapering 0.5 mg every week or two. I would probably consider slower taper when I'm on 1mg a day. (scale is on the way anyhow)

Hi,

I know everyone on this thread understands your desire to get off as fast as possible. And we also understand that the medication isn't helping on any way. That certainly was my experience.

I always think it's good to set yourself up for success when you are tapering. If your scale is on the way, why not wait for it so that your cuts can be as steady as possible?

As far as your rate of taper, it really depends on what you can handle. You can start with your plan and then gquge how you feel. I'm a big fan of a body based taper-meaning taper according to your plans but hold when your body says it's too much.

In my personal opinion, a year is not a long time to taper. And with benzos it sometimes doesn't matter how long or short of a time you took them because it causes dependency so quickly. 

So, create your plan, choose your method for tapering and then pay attention to your body's ability to handle the pace you have chosen.

Getting off benzos is truly possible.

FH

Thanks for the answer!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm down to .324 mg k today, and things have just gotten worse. I'm having almost daily fogs and sometimes multiple fogs. I'm having a floating sensation most evenings. I typically have some form of anxiety at some point (in my gut, chest, or all over), unless the fogs and floating keep it at bay, and my evenings are usually full of symptoms until sometime after 8 or 9. The heart palpitations have also come back this week with a vengeance. I'm really feeling them this morning. Tons of PACs and a faster-than-normal rate. I feel like my ability to function is slowly decreasing as I taper. I've tried slowing down multiple times. Holds don't seem to do much. I've been told they're worthless when you've hit tolerance before starting your taper. I don't know what to believe. And I now have near-daily episodes of rage, crying, and SI. This just doesn't feel sustainable. I'm hoping some of these symptoms let up and allow me to keep going. This is just so discouraging after starting to have near-daily windows during the day between .5 and .625 mg and having really good symptom-free evenings. So, of course, my benzo mind constantly questions whether my taper method is working for me, or if I'm somehow making things worse.

I'm currently cutting from my evening dose only (.207 mg) and trying to bring it down to match my morning dose (.117 mg), ideally smoothing out the fluctuations in blood serum level and making my body happy, but I really want to cut my morning dose out completely, because this is the dose that makes me feel terrible. I wonder if I would do better with it gone, or if I'd succumb to interdose wd sx. My mind ruminates on these things a lot. I also think sometimes about trying a liquid again or crushing and filling capsules again and giving my body more time to adjust. The constant second guessing makes this all so hard. I just want to do everything I can do to keep moving in the right direction.

Hereforhelp I'm really sorry this is happening to you. I had something similar happen to me at the 0.4 mark. I started getting severe headaches which increased in intensity with increased brain fog and I felt I was going to become non functional.

I held for about 6 weeks. I was very discouraged with my holding because I didn't see an improvement (well not quick enough for my liking). It was only after a month that I felt an ever so slight improvement I thought I might be imagining it. I don't know what happened but I'm suspecting my micro dosing cuts caught up with me even though I was tapering well within range.

How long have you held in the past?

Hi jelly baby, thanks for your response. I've been told holding doesn't do much if you hit tolerance before your taper. I can't really good a good answer regarding that. I feel like I've seen some marginal benefit from a short hold in the past during a stressful week, but I don't know for sure. I've had people tell me flat out holds don't work if you've hit tolerance. I'm so glad it worked for you. Were you in tolerance when you started your taper?

Sorry, I forgot you've got tolerance. Geez, you hit it really quickly. Just a couple of months.

No, fortunately I did not get tolerance but I believe I got close.

Hello, everybody (anybody?)

I have a long history of benzodiazepine use, and with the onset of complex medical issues, it has finally caught up with me to an extent that makes me extremely fearful.

From 2010-2013 I frequently took klonopin at varying doses, prescribed by a psychiatrist for anxiety (to take up to 3 times a day as needed). This quickly turned into an unhealthy situation, though I was successfully able to cut cold turkey with very little repercussions. Shortly after discontinuing the klonopin (or maybe even before discontinuing - I do not remember), I was then prescribed 10mg valium suppositories (1 at bedtime) for pelvic floor disorder, and was told that the medication only worked locally to relax the pelvic floor muscles, and wouldn't impact my body systemically. In 2020, I inadvertently stopped taking the valium suppositories due to a GI illness, and repeatedly ended up in the ER for chest pain and difficulty breathing, tinnitus, vertigo, extreme nausea, GERD, and insomnia. After a few horrific weeks I casually mentioned to my PCP that I hadn't been using the suppositories due to the nature of my illness, and she told me to reinstate them immediately. Shortly afterward I felt much, much better, and realized I had formed a serious physical dependency problem.

During this time I was also diagnosed with POTS (a syndrome that indicates a faulty autonomic nervous system), and MCAD (a disorder that indicates loss of tolerance and potential allergic response to pretty much anything at any time).

About a week ago (and after roughly 10 years of using the Valium suppositories), I started experiencing an allergic response after using them. I was forced to discontinue the medication immediately, and have been sent into a tailspin with supervising doctors who know absolutely nothing about benzodiazepine withdrawal. First I tried oral ativan in an attempt to alleviate my symptoms, but reacted to that as well and did nothing to roll back my withdrawal symptoms (nausea, inability to eat, insomnia, body pain, head pressure, brain zaps, disassociation, hands going numb, massive eye strain and inability to focus cognitively, heart palpitations, internal vibrations, major chest pressure, throat tightening, congestion). Now I seem to have successfully reintroduced klonopin, but am struggling to figure out a dose/dosing schedule that is as similar to the 10mg Valium suppositories as possible, and how to implement a taper schedule that is as safe as possible, considering the long duration of my benzo use and medical complexities. I just started 0.5mg of klonopin twice daily (though I am unsure if I need to add more doses to mimic the long half-life of the Valium, as taking only one dose at night definitely is not enough at the moment). I am planning on using a compounding pharmacy to help me with the dosing. ANY advice would be so, so appreciated, as I am really freaked out. Thanks, y'all.

Can someone please tell me if the Teva .5MG Klonopin evenly distributed?  I am dry cutting.  Please help.

Is your tablet scored?  If it is, you can reasonably expect to find equal distribution of the drug in both halves.  But even if its not or if you're considering cutting the pill into smaller pieces, many members have been able to successfully taper doing this.  It's all a matter of your confidence in your method, some people are happy with close enough, others need more precision, just another one of the many differences between us.

how do you know if you had tolerance ?

Hi Hilly301,

Can you tell us what your concern is?  Have you made any reductions since your last one in May?

Hello, everybody (anybody?)

I have a long history of benzodiazepine use, and with the onset of complex medical issues, it has finally caught up with me to an extent that makes me extremely fearful.

From 2010-2013 I frequently took klonopin at varying doses, prescribed by a psychiatrist for anxiety (to take up to 3 times a day as needed). This quickly turned into an unhealthy situation, though I was successfully able to cut cold turkey with very little repercussions. Shortly after discontinuing the klonopin (or maybe even before discontinuing - I do not remember), I was then prescribed 10mg valium suppositories (1 at bedtime) for pelvic floor disorder, and was told that the medication only worked locally to relax the pelvic floor muscles, and wouldn't impact my body systemically. In 2020, I inadvertently stopped taking the valium suppositories due to a GI illness, and repeatedly ended up in the ER for chest pain and difficulty breathing, tinnitus, vertigo, extreme nausea, GERD, and insomnia. After a few horrific weeks I casually mentioned to my PCP that I hadn't been using the suppositories due to the nature of my illness, and she told me to reinstate them immediately. Shortly afterward I felt much, much better, and realized I had formed a serious physical dependency problem.

During this time I was also diagnosed with POTS (a syndrome that indicates a faulty autonomic nervous system), and MCAD (a disorder that indicates loss of tolerance and potential allergic response to pretty much anything at any time).

About a week ago (and after roughly 10 years of using the Valium suppositories), I started experiencing an allergic response after using them. I was forced to discontinue the medication immediately, and have been sent into a tailspin with supervising doctors who know absolutely nothing about benzodiazepine withdrawal. First I tried oral ativan in an attempt to alleviate my symptoms, but reacted to that as well and did nothing to roll back my withdrawal symptoms (nausea, inability to eat, insomnia, body pain, head pressure, brain zaps, disassociation, hands going numb, massive eye strain and inability to focus cognitively, heart palpitations, internal vibrations, major chest pressure, throat tightening, congestion). Now I seem to have successfully reintroduced klonopin, but am struggling to figure out a dose/dosing schedule that is as similar to the 10mg Valium suppositories as possible, and how to implement a taper schedule that is as safe as possible, considering the long duration of my benzo use and medical complexities. I just started 0.5mg of klonopin twice daily (though I am unsure if I need to add more doses to mimic the long half-life of the Valium, as taking only one dose at night definitely is not enough at the moment). I am planning on using a compounding pharmacy to help me with the dosing. ANY advice would be so, so appreciated, as I am really freaked out. Thanks, y'all.

I've talked to you on your introductory thread but I'd wanted to say that for now, I believe you can probably dry cut your pills before switching to a compounded liquid if you're comfortable with this.  Many members have been able to dry cut to freedom but if your symptoms become unmanageable and you need to make smaller reductions then this is certainly an option.  Good for you for thinking ahead and learning so much in so little time.

Can someone please tell me if the Teva .5MG Klonopin evenly distributed?  I am dry cutting.  Please help.

Is your tablet scored?  If it is, you can reasonably expect to find equal distribution of the drug in both halves.  But even if its not or if you're considering cutting the pill into smaller pieces, many members have been able to successfully taper doing this.  It's all a matter of your confidence in your method, some people are happy with close enough, others need more precision, just another one of the many differences between us.

Thanks my tablet is scored.  You might remember that i was on Mylan klonopin two times before with no problems.  No I have such painful benzo belly.  I don't know how much longer I can go on.  I am currently on 1.4 something mg klonopin teva.  I can't believe this benzo belly won't go away  I have gone slower.  I don't want to do a compound pharmacy I don't want to add any more factors.  If you can think of anything I'd appreciate it.  It's really my only symptom beside crying about how painful it is.  :smitten:

Charlene, were you not tolerating the liquid taper? Because, if you were, that's the way I would go. I am also dry tapering, but I don't have great confidence of equal distribution in my tablets (Accord mfg). I don't know that Teva is much better, but like Pam said, it may be good enough, and multiple people have been able to come off the drug using this method. However symptoms might be a little rougher due to more variation, but I don't know this for sure. My symptoms have increased after going below about .4 mg. I'm now at .319 mg.

I knew I was in tolerance or at least at the beginnings of it due to anxiety, broken sleep, and fogginess creeping into my days while taking the same dose as prescribed. I was no longer getting the benefits of the drug. And it did happen fast. A little over a month of daily use and only three months of PRN and daily use combined.

Charlene, were you not tolerating the liquid taper? Because, if you were, that's the way I would go. I am also dry tapering, but I don't have great confidence of equal distribution in my tablets (Accord mfg). I don't know that Teva is much better, but like Pam said, it may be good enough, and multiple people have been able to come off the drug using this method. However symptoms might be a little rougher due to more variation, but I don't know this for sure. My symptoms have increased after going below about .4 mg. I'm now at .319 mg.

I knew I was in tolerance or at least at the beginnings of it due to anxiety, broken sleep, and fogginess creeping into my days while taking the same dose as prescribed. I was no longer getting the benefits of the drug. And it did happen fast. A little over a month of daily use and only three months of PRN and daily use combined.

No the milk taper was not working for me.  I am thinking of you

how do you know if you had tolerance ?

Hi Hilly301,

Can you tell us what your concern is?  Have you made any reductions since your last one in May?

my last cut has been the one in may and I am at the worst spot I have been yet. Ended up in the ER today thinking I had a brain bleed.

Neck spasms, eye twiching, headaches and severe calf pain right leg. I feel very very discouraged and scared.

Hilly, you are moving super fast. Have you tolerated these cuts reasonably well so far until your last one? Your last cut was 48% unless you cut to .0625, in which case it was 50%. Either way, that's huge. But if you've tolerated the others, it was probably worth trying. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble now.

I'm only cutting 5% every two weeks and having a heck of a time up at .317 mg k.

On the plus side, you are getting very low in dose and not far from being able to get off.

[be...]

my last cut has been the one in may and I am at the worst spot I have been yet. Ended up in the ER today thinking I had a brain bleed.

Neck spasms, eye twiching, headaches and severe calf pain right leg. I feel very very discouraged and scared.

Hilly, I really feel for you.  I had to slow way, way down under .125 and my symptoms really flared.  It definitely gets harder for most people at the lower doses. 

Hilly, you are moving super fast. Have you tolerated these cuts reasonably well so far until your last one? Your last cut was 48% unless you cut to .0625, in which case it was 50%. Either way, that's huge. But if you've tolerated the others, it was probably worth trying. I'm sorry you're having so much trouble now.

I'm only cutting 5% every two weeks and having a heck of a time up at .317 mg k.

On the plus side, you are getting very low in dose and not far from being able to get off.

This is by far the worst symptoms I have had throughout the entire Klonopin experience... I regret the cut now but if I go back up won't that be harder? Should I go back to 0.125?

Hilly301, I agree with hereforhelp, you have been tapering very fast. Your cuts are all probably catching up with you. It sounds like you're struggling pretty badly if you ended up in the ER. There really is no shame in updosing, I did it twice. The decision is yours, but if you're miserable, it's certainly something you could consider.

Hereforhelp I'm really sorry this is happening to you. I had something similar happen to me at the 0.4 mark. I started getting severe headaches which increased in intensity with increased brain fog and I felt I was going to become non functional.

I held for about 6 weeks. I was very discouraged with my holding because I didn't see an improvement (well not quick enough for my liking). It was only after a month that I felt an ever so slight improvement I thought I might be imagining it. I don't know what happened but I'm suspecting my micro dosing cuts caught up with me even though I was tapering well within range.

How long have you held in the past?

Hi Jelly Baby, may I ask what brand klonopin you are on?  Sorry about your long covid.  thanks much

So here is the K club. :-)

Started my DMT in newyear. Cutting 2mg pills

Currently holding at 0,50mg.

Restless leg pain, irritable, angry, cafeine/nicotine carving, brainfog, fatigue, waking up to early, not feeling any endorfines. i feel emotionally flat, with peaks of irritability.

Started having issues at exact same time as my first taper.

Was going to take a break during hollidays anyway.

Im doing ok.  Never fun, but its been 100x worse.

Wonna thank jelly baby again for everything and all you do on BB. Your support, saved my life. I really hope you realise how amazing you are.

Switching to 0,50mg pills after the hold.

The 2mg pills where getting stupidly small.

Quick question.  For those who needed to hold, did you need to adapt your taper speed after? Is it just a bumb in the road or a sign to adjust the taper?

• 2 weeks later...
Please encourage.  Significant stomach pain, hungry but no appitite for anything.  I hold and it's not stopping symptoms.  1.36 mg from compounding pharmacy now.  Constipation.  I have no will to go thru this a 4th time.