The Klonopin Klub#2

[ma...]

I see you didn't go back up to .5 on your midday dose, have you felt any improvement as you've held your current dose?

Did you ever get past the lethargy from taking the Valium, I've read members say this will typically fade along with the depression it can cause once they get used to it.

While on 0.375 midday of Clon, I had bad day, mostly. A few good afternoons, maybe.

I switched in July I think from Valium to Ativan, now Clon from September. The lethargy is still here.

It sounds like the lethargy is due to benzo's in general, thank you for explaining.

You haven't said why you're considering crossing over, is it interdose?  Honestly, every drug is difficult to taper from, while Valium is a little smoother, its no walk in the park.

I am on a high dose ( 0.75 + 0.375 + 0.75). My doctor is open to a valium c/o. What do you think?

Hi,

I agree with Pamster in that every benzo has its difficulty and  it doesn't mean you are doing something wrong.

When I was tapering, one of the hardest things to deal with was the helplessness around the withdrawal symtoms. Before I accepted (and it was never an easy acceptance) I used to think I could control this helplessness. The way I did that was by thinking if I changed how I was tapering, the method or the form of the benzo, then things would be better. So I tried compounding-not good for me, considered liquid-not good for me, cut and hold-not good for me and finally stayed with a dry cut micro taper.

I share this because I see that there have been some changes in your benzos over the past 6 months. Making the crossover to Valium will take some time and then you have to adjust to the medication. I'm not saying it can't be done but switching to another benzo will not necessarily make it easier. Sometime the devil you know is the better way to go.

I felt stuck too and that is part of this process. We feel terrible on the meds, and terrible getting off. We can't push the taper so we have to just keep going.

I was pollydrugged and on benzos twice. I am now off and feeling better. You can do this and the fact that you are feeling bad doesn't mean the benzo is the wrong one or that  your tapering is off. These meds make us feel bad until there is less of them in our systems. I felt better as I got lower and tnd I've known other people who have as well.

You get to choose what will help you through. I'm not saying you shouldn't switch to Valium because others have done so. Maybe gather information on the main board by making a post about what you are considering.

There is life after benzo withdrawal.

FH

I am on a high dose ( 0.75 + 0.375 + 0.75). My doctor is open to a valium c/o. What do you think?

Hi,

I agree with Pamster in that every benzo has its difficulty and  it doesn't mean you are doing something wrong.

When I was tapering, one of the hardest things to deal with was the helplessness around the withdrawal symtoms. Before I accepted (and it was never an easy acceptance) I used to think I could control this helplessness. The way I did that was by thinking if I changed how I was tapering, the method or the form of the benzo, then things would be better. So I tried compounding-not good for me, considered liquid-not good for me, cut and hold-not good for me and finally stayed with a dry cut micro taper.

I share this because I see that there have been some changes in your benzos over the past 6 months. Making the crossover to Valium will take some time and then you have to adjust to the medication. I'm not saying it can't be done but switching to another benzo will not necessarily make it easier. Sometime the devil you know is the better way to go.

I felt stuck too and that is part of this process. We feel terrible on the meds, and terrible getting off. We can't push the taper so we have to just keep going.

I was pollydrugged and on benzos twice. I am now off and feeling better. You can do this and the fact that you are feeling bad doesn't mean the benzo is the wrong one or that  your tapering is off. These meds make us feel bad until there is less of them in our systems. I felt better as I got lower and tnd I've known other people who have as well.

You get to choose what will help you through. I'm not saying you shouldn't switch to Valium because others have done so. Maybe gather information on the main board by making a post about what you are considering.

There is life after benzo withdrawal.

FH

Wow, thank you for explaining so eloquently, this helps me understand what you face when tapering.  :smitten:

Thank you "Pamster" and "Final healing". I tapered from diazepam before a few times. That is one reason. The second, as "FH" explained, I think is my lack of patience. I ALWAYS have to do something, to hasten things, to look for solutions...I am starting  to realize that's not the way to go. Just time can heal us.

Now, a technical question: should I get rid of my midday dose totally or keep 3 dosing times and when I feel ready, try to taper some of the morning dose?

Thank you "Pamster" and "Final healing". I tapered from diazepam before a few times. That is one reason. The second, as "FH" explained, I think is my lack of patience. I ALWAYS have to do something, to hasten things, to look for solutions...I am starting  to realize that's not the way to go. Just time can heal us.

Now, a technical question: should I get rid of my midday dose totally or keep 3 dosing times and when I feel ready, try to taper some of the morning dose?

Honestly, the ruminating brain, which is constantly trying to figure things out and find the perfect solution, is a withdrawal symptom. I've dealt with it too, and it sounds like Final healing did as well. Our brains in this state think they can solve our problems if we just find the right way to do it. Choose the right taper method. Eat the right foods. Cut out the right stuff. Take the right supplements. It's enough to make you crazy.

Others on here have been very blunt: pick your taper method and stick with it (unless it truly isn't working and allowing you to drop in dose).

Personally I don't think you need those expensive scales. I've used the cheaper ones and yes there are sometimes fluctuations but it is so minute, in the bigger scheme of things it cancels each other out.

Hereforhelp, you are totally correct! BTW, did you buy a $1500 scale? :o

I did, but I got a bit of a better deal. It was worth it to me with all the trouble I'd been having to have something I could rely on. I had some money saved up, but it was definitely not what I was planning to spend it on. I can assure you of that.

My main concern in getting a scale off Amazon was that it would stop functioning normally, and I wouldn't have any clue or that it would just stop working, so I would have to have a backup on hand, which might also suffer the same fate. The added level of precision was secondary when deciding. We've experienced a lot of issues at my job (we manufacture consumer products with circuit boards) in getting the parts we need due to the chip shortage, and we've had some suppliers cut corners and use whatever components they can find, often components that fail. I couldn't deal with that anxiety, as I'm already having enough as it is.

Now would any of that actually happen to one of these inexpensive scales? I don't know. Probably not. Many buddies, like jelly baby, have had success with them, so they obviously can work and work with great success. They just weren't for me. So please don't let my concerns keep you from trying something that could work for you.

And I definitely plan to sell it when I'm done (and hopefully recoup a bit of what I spent), which will be a hugely cathartic experience I'm really looking forward to. With my current rate of taper (which is way slower than I'd like), it would be sometime late next year. I'm hoping I can tolerate tapering faster at some point as others on this site have been able to do as they've dropped in dose, but I'm using my symptoms as a guide and considering the acute withdrawal period as well.

Thank you for a thoughtful and supportive response, hereforhelp!  The bottom line is there are no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approaches to discontinuing benzodiazepines.  Each of us has to decide for ourselves what strategies and ‘tools’ are the best fit for our unique circumstances.  We also need to respect the choices made by others, as you have done in your post.

Thanks everybody :thumbsup:

Could someone advise on this: should I get rid of my midday dose totally or keep 3 dosing times and when I feel ready, try to taper some of the morning dose?

I think this is a very balanced and informative response hereforhelp. Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

Thank you for a thoughtful and supportive response, hereforhelp!  The bottom line is there are no ‘one-size-fits-all’ approaches to discontinuing benzodiazepines.  Each of us has to decide for ourselves what strategies and ‘tools’ are the best fit for our unique circumstances.  We also need to respect the choices made by others, as you have done in your post.

I'm more than happy to help and share what I've experienced, but I know my experience will be different than everyone else's. I'm not one of those blessed folks who could take this medicine for a few months and come right off. We're all soooo different.

And given our discussion involved scales, was that pun intended, jelly baby?  ;)

Your reply came in as I was posting, Teologul. We can't give prescriptive advice here, so I can't really tell you what to do. Let your body tell you what you can tolerate. Unfortunately that involves some trial and error, which I know you already know. The others might have some more insight than I do.

Could someone advise on this: should I get rid of my midday dose totally or keep 3 dosing times and when I feel ready, try to taper some of the morning dose?

I'd keep all of your doses for now and taper a little off of one, then another.  When you get low enough in dose you'll eventually have to get rid of doses but for now, why not use them to help you through the day?

Again, I agree with Pamster. 

My taper started with 2 doses and then I moved to three fairly early on.  My day time doses were equal but my night time dose was heavier to help me with sleep. Clonzapam never really helped me sleep even from the start.

So I just tapered off the night time dose till I got it even with the day time doses. Then I tapered a little off one dose at a time. First cut AM, next cut afternoon, next cut PM. Then the same thing again. I did it that way and it worked well for me because it kept everything stable. 

What did you do when desperate, FH? Like I am now. I am 3 week from my last cut...feeling bad.

What cuts have you made over the last 3 months? It will really help if you can update your signature as the cuts over the past couple of months will give an indication of where things might have gone south for you.

Hi Jelly Baby,

In the last three months...I held at 12.5 escitalopram, after a few days, maybe a week at 15. Regarding clonazepam, I used to dose 0.75 x  2 that became 0.75 x 3 maybe for 2 months. On Jan 15th I dropped to 0.50 midday and on Jan 25th to 0.375 . That's where I am. My main issue is huge back pain midday, I mean horrendous , disabling pain and contracture for hours. Beside the usual shakes, chills, brain fog, anxiety, etc. Ten day ago I started  tapering my mirtazapine, I started at 1.25ml (18.75mg), I cut 0.01 ml every couple days. That would be 0.15mg (less than 1%, hoping my brain won't feel it!)

Thank you.

Teologul

Thanks for the extra info. Two things stand out to me in your post. Firstly you made a 16% reduction within a ten day period. I know we sometimes say reductions can be made every 10-14 days and I know some people on Clonazepam can do 10 day cuts. For me however I only start to feel the cut on day 5, so cutting every 10 days would not give my body enough time to recover.  I'm wondering if you've allowed enough recovery time between cuts?

Secondly, we always recommend only tapering one drug at a time because it's impossible to tell which taper is causing which symptoms. I know you're saying it's a very small percentage but some people are extremely sensitive to various things and we cannot for certain say that your other taper is not contributing to your symptoms.

My advice would be to only taper one med at a time and to hold your current doses for a little longer. When I made bigger cuts it took me a couple of weeks to recover so hopefully you'll see some improvements soon.

Jelly Baby,

"  I'm wondering if you've allowed enough recovery time between cuts?" I am sure I did not, but my "friends" at SA hurried me and scolded me. I was slowly tapering mirtazapine so, maybe, I can increase my Lex, since I am feeling awful.

Would you advise a hold on everything? My doc and family is pushing for 15 lexapro and to slowly continue to taper mirt. I am scared and confused.

I'm so sorry you were scolded Teologul. No one deserves that. I'm not familiar with the other meds and how they make you feel but I think this was mainly caused by Clonazepam and I don't know if other meds will fix a cut in K. You'll know better than me.

If it were me I would consider either holding all meds or if its really tough updosing K to the 0.5 mid day dose.

How does that sound to you?

Also, I would suggest you choose one med to taper. Is this a possibility?

I know all of this can be scary and overwhelming but I think once you've decided on a course of action you'll feel much more confident.

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the site but have been on more the last week.  I could use the support and learn as much as I can. A little about my situation, I was on klonopin 1mg - 1.5 mg for the last 6 years for sleep.  November, I started a took the step to get off of it and not knowing what i got myself into.  i followed the instructions my doc gave me for leaning off in a "safe" way. It was .5mg one week and the .25 mg the next week, nov 30 was the last time i had any klonopin. Two weeks after the last dose my brain couldnt handle anything , it was hard to do anything , after the week nothing was as bad as that. sorry if im not typing as well as i use to i had a bad night last night.  I have been off of it for 2.5 months, i can work drive, work out, but not as well as i use to. i mainly force my self to do what i need to and not let it win. Last night i had crazy anxiety, i never had any anxiety before i got off these pills and it seems like lately its gotten a lot worse. I can function but lately i feel that its beating me. I wish i did a taper like everyone else had done but i don't want to reinstate because i heard its worse. I never been on ssri but have thought about it last few days because of how much fear i have that it will beat me.  any suport or advice would be great. 

I have a few questions i can't find answers to that i was wondering if any one knew.

1 At a month and a half am i still in withdrawls and how long does that process take?

2 Has anyone taken and ssri or other meds to help with the process?

3 What usually happens in a rapid taper like i did?

4 Never reinstate right?

Thanks everyone, its been a battle and hope to help others once i am better.  still learning the site so forgive me if i did anything wrong