• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [GA...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this thread yesterday and started reading up on medical MJ, and now I am really wanted to try some!! I do live in CA, but I have no idea how to go about this. I used to be very anti-cannabis for many reasons, but now I have seen how it helps so many people with so many things! I am just afraid to ask about it or go somewhere, because it's a whole new thing for me and I have literally never smoked or used anything like it in my whole life. I would want to try the kinds that help insomnia and anxiety.

I found this thread yesterday and started reading up on medical MJ, and now I am really wanted to try some!! I do live in CA, but I have no idea how to go about this. I used to be very anti-cannabis for many reasons, but now I have seen how it helps so many people with so many things! I am just afraid to ask about it or go somewhere, because it's a whole new thing for me and I have literally never smoked or used anything like it in my whole life. I would want to try the kinds that help insomnia and anxiety.

tealwater11,

You are in a similar situation as me.  I live in a MM state (not CA unfortunately) but I have only a minimal amount of information as to how to go about doing this.  The only thing I know is that in my state I would need the psychiatrist to give me a diagnosis of PTSD.  It's probably similar in CA.  I was very anti-cannabis too and never smoked anything either.  I've read that we need Indica strains in order to help with anxiety and insomnia.  There are more and more dispensaries opening all over and I even found one that is only 20 - 30 minutes away from my home.  CA probably has a lot more places than where I live.

Anecdotally, indicas are supposed to offer a more relaxed experience, so should be better for anxiety and sleep.  Efforts to correlate that relaxing effect to the chemical profile have so far been eluding.  There are sedating terpenes and cannabinoids in both indica and sativa.  Most analyses only examine a dozen or so terpenes and cannabinoids while there are several scores of each actually in the plant.  I think it's the interplay of many dozens of compounds, and that trying to zero in on just one or two compounds doesn't always work well.  Nevertheless, I try to find material that is low in THCV and high in CBN

I also see anecdotal reports that occasionally switching strains is beneficial - that we get used to one 'chemistry' after a while. 

So for now, the anecdotal accounts shared by users is probably the best advice you can get.  Just note that one shoppe's Blue Dream isn't necessary the same material (genetically) as another shoppe's Blue Dream.  A good 'cannabista' (the person behind the counter at the dispensary) is worth their weight in gold, but some are just trying to sell their shoppe's goods.  So find a good dispensary, talk to people who use products from or work for that dispensary.  Learn what you can, and make as informed a decision as possible given the circumstances.

fwiw - I just finished off an OG Kush that I found to be very relaxing.

Anecdotally, indicas are supposed to offer a more relaxed experience, so should be better for anxiety and sleep.  Efforts to correlate that relaxing effect to the chemical profile have so far been eluding.  There are sedating terpenes and cannabinoids in both indica and sativa.  Most analyses only examine a dozen or so terpenes and cannabinoids while there are several scores of each actually in the plant.  I think it's the interplay of many dozens of compounds, and that trying to zero in on just one or two compounds doesn't always work well.  Nevertheless, I try to find material that is low in THCV and high in CBN

I also see anecdotal reports that occasionally switching strains is beneficial - that we get used to one 'chemistry' after a while. 

So for now, the anecdotal accounts shared by users is probably the best advice you can get.  Just note that one shoppe's Blue Dream isn't necessary the same material (genetically) as another shoppe's Blue Dream.  A good 'cannabista' (the person behind the counter at the dispensary) is worth their weight in gold, but some are just trying to sell their shoppe's goods.  So find a good dispensary, talk to people who use products from or work for that dispensary.  Learn what you can, and make as informed a decision as possible given the circumstances.

fwiw - I just finished off an OG Kush that I found to be very relaxing.

Are edibles always going to be a possibility at dispensaries?  Because I cannot imagine myself trying to smoke or vape in my state of mind now.  I'd probably burn the house down.

I don't see it (edibles) going away any time soon.  Politics are funny, however.

That's good then.  Did you have to get a PTSD diagnosis in order to get your MM?

I have a question about CBD and tapering. My understanding is that CBD uses the same liver enzyme (P450) as the one used to clear Valium. I'm already dealing with that problem with Prilosec. So is CBD completely off the table for me? My mother has similar body chemistry to me. She's struggled getting off gaba medications for years. First benzos and now gabapentin. She has fibromyalgia (which I suspect might also be benzo related). She told me recently she got a lot of relief from high-CBD mm edibles. I'm wondering if I could do the same thing or if I should avoid it. 

I don't see it (edibles) going away any time soon.  Politics are funny, however.

That's good then.  Did you have to get a PTSD diagnosis in order to get your MM?

At first, I had a cancer diagnosis (melanoma), but after I survived that, I got a PTSD diagnosis (caused by the klonopin/ativan that I had been taking).

I just ordered some CBD spray online. I've used cannabis for most of my adult life, though not on a daily basis. I live in a state where not even medical marijuana is legal.

I am hoping this will live up to its reputation as being an anxiety reducer. THC is a mixed bag for me, it can cause anxiety as well as ease it.

I'm relieved that CBD is legal in all 50 states, although some countries require a prescription, in the US it is perfectly legal and available.

I haven't further pursued getting a MM card yet, but I'm waiting for the upcoming election to vote for a Prop that would help make things easier (I'm in CA). I definitely am going to try using CBD, especially in edible form, when I can at some point in the future. I hope as things become more common and accepted, we can have more legit research done around it to see how it can help people. I wish more research was dedicated to natural cures/treatments instead of all the crap. Our healthcare system and pharmaceutical system is so effed up and backwards.

I used to work for a mental health organization, with a certain set of clients, who were prescribed meds for serious psychological conditions. Some of them did not want to take the meds, and the way it was forced on them was incomprehensible. I now see the role I played in this, and feel terrible about it. My semi-trauma from this environment will take a long time to heal, and I don't know if I can ever work at a place like this again. I think it contributed to my health issues that got me to where I am today.

When I first came to Benzobuddies back in 2011, we weren't allowed to discuss cannabis. Glad to see times have changed.

I live in Colorado and for a year bought Ingrid which is recommended for sleep. I cooked it in coconut oil and put it into capsules, but didn't enjoy the stoned feeling and realized it was keeping me from remembering my dreams. Had no trouble at all quitting it. Took it every night for a year, then stopped cold turkey, and had no repercussions whatsoever.

My insomnia has been a very tough nut to crack, and I'm sure if the pot had given me 7 hours of sleep a night, I'd still be swallowing it, but it didn't, unfortunately. If it helps you, I'm all for it.

In the United States how does it work if your state allows medical marijuana, but you need to take the medication to another state? Are you allowed to transport it there somehow or do you need to buy it when you get to another state? I'm a little worried that the state I'm going to be living in long term is very friendly, but for the first couple months I'm home I'll be spending significant time in Texas.

In the United States how does it work if your state allows medical marijuana, but you need to take the medication to another state? Are you allowed to transport it there somehow or do you need to buy it when you get to another state? I'm a little worried that the state I'm going to be living in long term is very friendly, but for the first couple months I'm home I'll be spending significant time in Texas.

Hi SD,

I'm not super knowledgeable in this, but I can tell you my experience, who knows, it, might help...

I have a friend who visits from time to time and she lives in Colorado. She is prescribed MM for her pain. When she visits, she leaves her MM at home. She flies here and she doesn't want to risk getting caught and having it confiscated. She always manages to hide some away on her person, so she has it while she is here. It's not legal to transport it from state to state, if she got caught with it at the airport, she'd be in trouble.

Does TX have MM legally? If so, I'm thinking you'll have to be careful when going from state to state. And we can't just go into the store to buy it....that would be too easy  ::) a doctor has to prescribe it.

Is cannabis useful to relieve neuromuscular pains in legs

During benzo or alcohol wd ?

I have never tried in 46 years..

;)

Honestly?? I guess I had you pegged wrong, Sybase  ;)

Seriously though, you could try it, it helps my headaches. I don't like the TCH kind, but MM is really helpful for pain, anxiety, sleeplessness and the list goes on........ :thumbsup:

Anyway i ll have to find something to ease

Leg pains

My doc is ok for cannabis

Or little dose of alcohol after 6 months off

I am bedridden again

[ce...]

Interstate transport is illegal.  Texas is considering relaxing some laws so that CBD could be produced, but the SE US is way behind the curve when it comes to MMJ legalization.  If you drive there, you could probably carry edibles in without any difficulty.  You might even be able to have some things mailed to you (use ground delivery).  Always a risk, however, in the old confederacy.

Interstate transport is illegal.  Texas is considering relaxing some laws so that CBD could be produced, but the SE US is way behind the curve when it comes to MMJ legalization.  If you drive there, you could probably carry edibles in without any difficulty.  You might even be able to have some things mailed to you (use ground delivery).  Always a risk, however, in the old confederacy.

Oh, of course. Interstate transport, etc. Right. Are CBD patches probably fairly safe or same thing? That's, in all likelihood, the thing I would end up using I imagine.

[ce...]

Oh, of course. Interstate transport, etc. Right. Are CBD patches probably fairly safe or same thing? That's, in all likelihood, the thing I would end up using I imagine.

I wouldn't think CBD patches would catch anybody's attention, but I'm not an attorney and we're talking about Texas.

Anyway i ll have to find something to ease

Leg pains

My doc is ok for cannabis

Or little dose of alcohol after 6 months off

I am bedridden again

I'm sorry to hear this, Sybase  :(

Are you feeling any better at all?

I don't know if everyone has seen but there is a support group about using medical cannanis for help with BZ WD. Also the Medical marijuana consultant who has helped me is doing a free online class for people harmed by benzos on MM. One of the things he will talk about is sleep. He also will answer questions. If you want more info I posed about on the support thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=165140.80

:smitten:

XO Maya

I haven't further pursued getting a MM card yet, but I'm waiting for the upcoming election to vote for a Prop that would help make things easier (I'm in CA). I definitely am going to try using CBD, especially in edible form, when I can at some point in the future. I hope as things become more common and accepted, we can have more legit research done around it to see how it can help people. I wish more research was dedicated to natural cures/treatments instead of all the crap. Our healthcare system and pharmaceutical system is so effed up and backwards.

I used to work for a mental health organization, with a certain set of clients, who were prescribed meds for serious psychological conditions. Some of them did not want to take the meds, and the way it was forced on them was incomprehensible. I now see the role I played in this, and feel terrible about it. My semi-trauma from this environment will take a long time to heal, and I don't know if I can ever work at a place like this again. I think it contributed to my health issues that got me to where I am today.

From all I've read, and I do like to keep abreast of this topic, at least six states are voting in November to legalize recreational marijuana and one of them is California. That makes it a lot simpler, no need for a medical marijuana card, no need for a doctor.

Hi SD,

I'm not super knowledgeable in this, but I can tell you my experience, who knows, it, might help...

I have a friend who visits from time to time and she lives in Colorado. She is prescribed MM for her pain. When she visits, she leaves her MM at home. She flies here and she doesn't want to risk getting caught and having it confiscated. She always manages to hide some away on her person, so she has it while she is here. It's not legal to transport it from state to state, if she got caught with it at the airport, she'd be in trouble.

Does TX have MM legally? If so, I'm thinking you'll have to be careful when going from state to state. And we can't just go into the store to buy it....that would be too easy  ::) a doctor has to prescribe it.

Unfortunately, at the Federal level, marijuana is a Schedule I controlled substance. That makes it technically illegal every where in the US. However, the Federal government lets the individual states regulate it as they want to, but there's always that Catch 22 - you can always get into trouble because it's illegal. Crossing state lines with it is actually a federal offense.

More states will be voting to legalize recreational marijuana this November. But the big change will come when it is legalized at the national level and taken out of the Schedule I where it now resides along with drugs like heroin.