Medical Marijuana

[Tu...]

[53...]

Hi Parker Alan,

I'm trying CBD for anxiety and pain(?).  Starting to have worse insomnia during my taper and am also interested in CBN but, don't know anything about it.  Could you explain a little more what it is and does?  Thank-you!

Hello Burnedout, (better than fading away...)  :laugh:

Yes, first of all CBD is very good for anxiety, however it will also exacerbate insomnia if used to close to bedtime, more than 3 hours before is best... Strange compounds in cannabis.

CBN is not a large part of any strain so far, but they are working on it. Les than 1% at the most. It is more of a by product that occurs when THC breaks down and degrades. I makes for a really sleep inducing product. CBN can be increased by leaving cannabis exposed to air and light for a few weeks or months as the THC breaks down it turns to CBN. It can also be increased in any strain of cannabis by letting it grow past ripeness, the same thing occurs the thc degrades. Many pot smokers can attest to this fact; old school seedy or old weed often just put the user to sleep.

This can easily be seen under a microscope 100x, the trichomes  on cannabis turns from clear like water to a cloudy and then an amber color as it reaches and passes "ripeness". The longer it is grown the more the CBN increases and the thc decreases and degrades. ) google "trichomes photos")

Alta Botanicals in California has a great Insomnia relief Tincture, I have tried it. But it is hard to get. The knowledge of cannabis as medicine and it's 70+ compounds is still in the infancy state. Expect much more good news from some of these ingredients as cross breeding and genetics further evolve.

There are ways to make any given batch of cannabis into a better sleep medicine through degradation and decarboxylation, especially when consumed as an edible and not smoked.

States that have MMJ are really leading the way and many sufferers are getting tremendous relief from many illnesses, big pharma hates it, but cannabis is miraculous for many ailments.  :thumbsup:

ParkerAlan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [GA...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[28...]

Hi Parker Alan

I emailed Alta and this is the reply today:

Hello!

We actually have produced and bottled a batch that is ready to go very soon. We are waiting to officially release it until we have another batch ready to go as there has been so much interest in this one.

--------------------------------

I'm not in California any longer, but sure wish I was. I don't think we'll see it in NY for quite some time.

I agree about the medicinal uses of Mj. I only want it to help me get well. I know sleep is the key to healing!

[53...]

Hi Parker Alan

I emailed Alta and this is the reply today:

Hello!

We actually have produced and bottled a batch that is ready to go very soon. We are waiting to officially release it until we have another batch ready to go as there has been so much interest in this one.

--------------------------------

I'm not in California any longer, but sure wish I was. I don't think we'll see it in NY for quite some time.

I agree about the medicinal uses of Mj. I only want it to help me get well. I know sleep is the key to healing!

Hi Melo,

Yes Alta Botanicals is a really good company with very stringent quality control standards... Isn't New York an MMJ State?  I am quite sure that you could find a strain and or a grower there who could get you something that would work... I would look for a Cannatonic strain that was grown past maturity thus creating more cbn... It would be perfect, very little Buzz and zero anxiety, but a great anxiolytic and sleep med. When eaten it stays

ParkerAlan

Hi again Parker Alan,

Thanks for the burnedout "better than fading away" joke :laugh: Loved the Kurgan in the Highlander-can't believe Clancy Brown does the voice for Mr. Krabbs in SpongeBob Squarepants, too.

Appreciate the heads up on not taking CBD too close to bedtime-had no idea.  I will check Alta Botanicals, too.  They sound very good.  I live in Colorado so can get lots of different things but, haven't  heard much about CBN around here. Thanks again :)

[28...]

Burned Out, Oh wow, you live in CO., Ok then contact Mary's Medicinals. They have the CBN products in capsules and patches.

I bet if you give a call, they can help you!

Be well

Hi CMGMelo,

Thank-you for the info about Mary's Medicinals having CBN products! :) Really appreciate it!  Will check them out very soon.

I hope New York legislators come around to see the benefits of MM sooner than later.  They need to watch CNN'S Dr. Gupta's series "Weed".  He said he was skeptical a first, but after seeing so many people benefiting from MM/CBD, he changed his mind.  Take care! :)

[28...]

Hello there

It's legal here now but very very limited conditions and also medical dispensaries just opening up.

I hope they come around too, I really need sleep every night

I am not trying to get high I am interested in CBN.

Thank you

[53...]

Hey Burned out,

Haha, Didn't know that about Clancy Brown... my kids say that I do a pretty mean Mr. Krabbs myself!  :heybabe:

As you know there are two main sleep issues, sleep initiation (getting to sleep) and sleep Maintenance (staying asleep)... If you can get a nice CBN rich batch of cannabis, it is far more effective when eaten than smoked. It will stay in your system much longer and allow for better sleep maintenance, whereas a puff or two an hour before bedtime will be helpful in sleep initiation.

Just be careful with edibles, start with a small dose. The proper dose is easy to calculate and they are easy to make at home or buy them pre-made. The difference in strains and thc content and thus effects is as different as Tequila and wine coolers...

Best of luck,

ParkerAlan

Hi ParkerAlan,

Mr. Krabbs and Squidword are my son's favorite characters on SpongeBob :)

We watch the TV show Sleepy Hollow, too and Clancy has been in that from time to time.  He's a fun actor.

Fortunately, I can usually fall asleep, it's  the maintenance part that's a problem.  Mary's Medicinals  in Denver has different kinds of CBN and I'm looking into that.

Thanks again for your help!  BurnedOut

• 3 weeks later...

Jayne3,

Glad it helps you!  Now that I'm taking a little higher dose of the CBD oil, its helping with sleep a bit, too. Haven't been able to get the CBN yet to try. Where it's really been helping is for the; benzo flu aches and pains, shaking and tremors, appetite, GI issues and a bit for the anxiety.  I appreciate anything that takes the edge off these rotten withdrawal symptoms!

[28...]

Burned out

When do you take the CBD?

I've ordered some from marys medicinals

It's legal to ship everywhere

I've read that it's good for anxiety and ptsd

CBN is supposed to be good for sleep

Some say CBD taken too late can cause insomnia

Since the CBD is easy to get I'll be starting with that

Any advice ?

I should have CBN next week and I'll try for sleep and report back

Thank you

Anyone who has CBD advice !

I'm really curious to hear how the high CBN content MJ works out. I'm in a totally legal state. I don't have much interest in getting high (not since 20s), but something that helped with sleep maintenance a bit would be great. Does it sap motivation like normal MJ?

I'm really curious to hear how the high CBN content MJ works out. I'm in a totally legal state. I don't have much interest in getting high (not since 20s), but something that helped with sleep maintenance a bit would be great. Does it sap motivation like normal MJ?

Even if it did sap motivation, would that matter if you used it right before bedtime? I've used it off and on for many years, but as of late have only used it at night anyway. By morning it has completely worn off.

You're fortunate to be in a completely legal state. Go to a dispensary and explain what you want and I'm sure they can help you out. They have all the information on the content of various strains. Last time I was at the Medicine Man, I overheard a guy asking for a strain that helped with insomnia. There was no hesitation at all when they offered a certain strain. Also, you can purchase an amount as low as one gram, so if it doesn't work for you, no big loss.

[28...]

Meowie

Hi

If you are in a legal state I'm sure you can buy marys medicinals capsules or patches to try.

You can search their site for locations in CO WA and CA.

Would love to hear others reports on CBN and CBD.

Thank you

I haven't smoked since the first year of benzo withdrawal. I guess I was worried it was becoming a habit but after this last year of not smoking, I think stress might be killing me. I'm considering going back to it for the insomnia and stress

I haven't smoked since the first year of benzo withdrawal. I guess I was worried it was becoming a habit but after this last year of not smoking, I think stress might be killing me. I'm considering going back to it for the insomnia and stress

Please be careful and ease into it. With THC there is always a risk of anxiety. And of course, that is the last thing that you want. But after a year of not doing it, who knows?

When I smoke I meditate. It completely erases anxiety. The best meditation experienced I've had was after a J. Work starts again in two weeks, I might have to do the dabble again.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a pot shop (I live in a legal state) and asked them about MJ for insomnia. I mentioned CBN but they steered me toward Highland Pharmacies CBD hemp oil drops--said it would help me feel a lot better and help me get to sleep. I've been feeling quite sick (like the flu) since my C/T 3 days ago.

Now I'm reading once again that CBD is activating, rather than sedating. Or at the very least has different effects on different people. I certainly don't want to take anything activating! so I'm afraid to try this stuff. Frustrating, as it wasn't cheap.

Does anyone have experience with CBD hemp oil drops? I'm not interested in getting any kind of high (been there, done that), just not feeling so sick.

OOps, I just realized (after reading another thread) that this thread is really pushing the limits for BB. So sorry if I've encouraged anything here that is out of line. Being in a state that has been totally legal for a while, the attitudes about it here are just really laissez-faire.

Back in my earlier days I was about as big as a "pothead" as you could get, but eventually marijuana quit me and not the other way around. No matter how much I tried, I just could not find anymore enjoyment in it so I stopped for good. These days I can easily imagine the desire to use marijuana to help get through withdrawal because symptom relief is such a powerful attraction, but the stuff out there now is so potent that I would have to question the wisdom of doing so.

I'm not coming from a legal or social perspective when I say that using one powerful drug to counter the effects of another might be questionable. On a purely personal level it could be problematic in that it can be used to bypass any potential good that can actually come from our withdrawal experience. We all got into our benzo and z-drug problems for pretty much the same reason. We had issues that we could not, or would not, find other solutions for. We wanted fast easy fixes that did not require any real life-style changes. Just stay up late, do what we want and then pop a pill for sleep, as an example. Recovering from withdrawal forces us to make life style changes and to look deep inside to discover an inner strength that we did not know that we had. It would be such a shame to go through all of this and not come away with these lessons.

I mentioned this belief earlier and no one seemed to pickup on it in this thread. My apologies if I offend anyone's strongly held beliefs since that is not my intention. I'm just putting out an alternative viewpoint that I believe I have the credentials to put forward. I had a close relationship with marijuana in the past and have more recently experienced a withdrawal that was as bad as many people in this forum have experienced.

[78...]

OOps, I just realized (after reading another thread) that this thread is really pushing the limits for BB. So sorry if I've encouraged anything here that is out of line. Being in a state that has been totally legal for a while, the attitudes about it here are just really laissez-faire.

The stigma is still strong with some people, but it is slowly disappearing. 

CBD isn't really known for sleep.  I suspect you were directed in that direction because the dispensary didn't have an enriched CBN product available. 

Hi all,

I posted here months ago. I have had my MM card since Dec. I live in MA, so our dispensaries are still newer. It was suggested on here that I look for CBN for sleep, but I have yet to see any CBN products. I use particular indica strains for sleep. I found I need higher THC for sleep. I also have been taking mm mostly in edible form for sleep lately. I have found strains high in CBD and low THC, that help my nausea, stomach issues, appetite, aches, pains, and just overall relaxation. I vape a bit and I don't get that high feeling, but it really helps my stomach...which has been a big issue for me. I never thought I would use MM. I was never against it or anything. I just had experiences where it made more anxious. With MM this has not been a problem. It also had been like 8 years. I am hoping the dispensaries here start getting more products. I see people have different feelings with CBD and sleep. I think its different for different people. For me it is relaxing, but I need more than just CBD for sleep now. I would love to try CBN, but for now I will just keep using Indica. I am glad others are being helped by MM. It is interesting that it treats a lot of the same conditions Benzos "treat", including even seizures. Wishing better sleep and quick healing for everyone!

XO Maya