Medical Marijuana

[Tu...]

[44...]
If you can get oils (indica or sativa) from your local dispensary, you can make your own CBN-rich oil.  It just takes heat.  You can do it in your oven (it'll stink up the place).  I'll have to go dig up the temperature/time (that computer is at work).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [GA...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish MM worked for me.  I had tried some and I have never been one to like the effects of being high, so needless to say it did not sedate me.

If you can get oils (indica or sativa) from your local dispensary, you can make your own CBN-rich oil.  It just takes heat.  You can do it in your oven (it'll stink up the place).  I'll have to go dig up the temperature/time (that computer is at work).

I have tried Indica oil and it didn't do anything to me really. They have Indica, sativa, and hybrid oils at the dispensary I go to. They come in cartridges and I would be scared to put it in the oven. The Indica caramels or certain Indica strains vaped are working and I am sleeping. It just sounds like CBN might work better. Hopefully, my dispensary will get some new options. i think MA has to catch up with CA and Colorado. The dispensaries in RI don't seem to have it either. I can't go to them, but I have seen menus.

[44...]

fwiw - heating an oil (mine was 51.6% THC by weight) at 160C (320F) for 8 hours gave me a product that contained 12.1% CBN and 3.23% THC.  At 150C (also 8 hours), the ratio of CBN to THC was close to 1:1 (each at ~ 10%).  At 170C, CBN was 9.5% and THC was only around 0.5%.

UV light is also supposed to work, but I haven't tried using that yet.

badsocref,

Hoe exactly did you heat it? The oils at the dispensary are in cartridges that are used with a specific vaper pen. I don't know why, but they were not that effective for me. My boyfriend says he is good with 12 hits from it. I also have been having some coughing. I never smoke, but even vaping can make my coughing worse. That is one of the reasons I have been using edibles more. Also tinctures and capsules didn't work for me unfortunately. So the THC turns into CBN and that works the best for sleep? Thanks for the info!

XO Maya

[44...]

I heated the oil in a glass test tube in an oven.

12 hits to be 'good' from an oil?!?  Doesn't sound like very potent oil.  Does your dispensary give the chemical composition of their products?

I don't like smoking oils either.  They're strong, but it hurts my lungs.  I agree that edibles are very nice for sleep. 

I need to make a CBN edible and try it sometime

I would give that a try.

My bf has a high tolerance. I asked him again and he said to be pretty high was around 12 hits. The oil is equivalent to .99 grams. It is mostly THC and then CBD and a little CBG and CBC. The oil is too much for me becasue I start coughing after I take one hit from its vape pen. Even vaping flower I can't do a lot of right now. It is one of my sxs. I am working on it in acupuncture. I have just been buying edibles from the dispensary. I buy a high THC Indica caramel or lozenge that puts me out. It is adding up though. This weekend I think I will try making edibles. My bf's knows how to make it into butter. I am not sure what to put it in. I can't have chocolate or gluten right now and I don't like to have much food before bed. I wish I had CBN edibles or a potent CBN strain. The capsules and tinctures didn't work on me. I am very weird with medicine though. Things don't usually affect me as strong. With most meds, unfortunately including Benzos, I metabolize them rapidly. I also developed a higher tolerance since I have been using MM more becasue of my stomach and sleep issues. I hope you are getting some good rest tonight!

I heated the oil in a glass test tube in an oven.

12 hits to be 'good' from an oil?!?  Doesn't sound like very potent oil.  Does your dispensary give the chemical composition of their products?

I don't like smoking oils either.  They're strong, but it hurts my lungs.  I agree that edibles are very nice for sleep. 

I need to make a CBN edible and try it sometime

My understanding is that CBN comes from cannabis that has gone over its optimum harvest time or is old or not stored well.  Is that right?  There's so much conflicting info on the internet and you seem to know your stuff.

[44...]
Yes, CBN slowly forms as cannabis sits around.  Heat accelerates the process.  Ultraviolet light is also supposed to produce CBN.  I've tinkered a bit with heat, but I've never tried using uv light. 

Yes, CBN slowly forms as cannabis sits around.  Heat accelerates the process.  Ultraviolet light is also supposed to produce CBN.  I've tinkered a bit with heat, but I've never tried using uv light.

I'm more interested in the pain and sleep properties CBN is supposed to produce.  I'll see if I can find some info on UV light.

Thanks, bads.

Funny how our body chemistry varies so much from person to person. I use to be able to use Marijuana until my body did an about face! Now it makes me hyper and gives me horrible anxiety.  :o

Funny how our body chemistry varies so much from person to person. I use to be able to use Marijuana until my body did an about face! Now it makes me hyper and gives me horrible anxiety.  :o

The same thing happens to me occasionally, and I think it depends a lot on the strain. Indicas are more relaxing and soothing; I rarely have a problem with those. There is a 100% indica called Grape Ape, it has done nothing but make me feel good, no paranoia or anxiety ever, at all.

Marijuana affects GABA receptors just like the benzo...

Benzodiazepines affect GABAa receptors, cannabis affects GABAb receptors, CB1 and CB2. 

This is a good article on how cannabis affects anxiety, both positively and negatively:

http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2014/03/discovery-sheds-new-light-on-marijuana-anxiety-relief-effects/

Scroll down to explanation of the body's natural endocannabinoid system. 

Also note GABAb receptors can be down-regulated by overuse of cannabis.

I’ve been following this thread and want to thank everyone who has contributed. :smitten: I’ve learned so much, and have actually started the process of getting an MMJ card in my state. It’s a costly process here, so I did a test run with some street MMJ brownies (from a friend) for 2 nights, to see if they helped me sleep….

And guess what?- Seven Hours Solid, both nights! That’s astonishing, for me - my usual is 4 hours.

I’m 2Yrs Benzo free this week, and have been seriously discouraged because my sleep has actually gotten a bit worse in the last 6 months.  :sick: I have a diagnosis of ptsd, and sleep has been a huge issue for me all my life. At 57 yrs old, if this MMJ works out, I might be able to look forward to sleeping, without psychmeds, for the first time in 37 years - Imagine that! I’m quite excited and hopeful, and I thank you all again for the great information/education here. :thumbsup:

I’ve been following this thread and want to thank everyone who has contributed. :smitten: I’ve learned so much, and have actually started the process of getting an MMJ card in my state. It’s a costly process here, so I did a test run with some street MMJ brownies (from a friend) for 2 nights, to see if they helped me sleep….

And guess what?- Seven Hours Solid, both nights! That’s astonishing, for me - my usual is 4 hours.

I’m 2Yrs Benzo free this week, and have been seriously discouraged because my sleep has actually gotten a bit worse in the last 6 months.  :sick: I have a diagnosis of ptsd, and sleep has been a huge issue for me all my life. At 57 yrs old, if this MMJ works out, I might be able to look forward to sleeping, without psychmeds, for the first time in 37 years - Imagine that! I’m quite excited and hopeful, and I thank you all again for the great information/education here. :thumbsup:

I hope it keeps working for you!

Crossing my fingers that the MM works for you Aft35yrs!!!  congratulations on being benzo free, too.  I live in Colorado and am hearing about more and more Vets using MM successfully for PTSD and getting off their prescriptions.  Best wishes!

Challis:  thanks for the link about marijuana and anxiety-will read it soon

Thank you GABAreceptors and BurnedOut - I had my consult with the PotDoc, and in 2 or 3 weeks (the State is slow) I should have my MMJ card! I’m so damn hopeful about this.

Today is my 2Yrs BenzoFree anniversary, and I’m usually big on celebrating any ole thing, but today feels different - I have no idea what to say. :o

Really. Do I do an update to my SS and say, “Hey guys, my insomnia got worse after I wrote this, and I’ve been so discouraged - until last week, when I decided to become a pothead!"

OMG - and here I am feeling the whole stigma thing again. It feels like the stigma of having people look at you like you’re an addict because of benzo dependency…. strikingly similar.

But I’m not upset. I’m not even embarrassed. In fact I’m feeling rather giddy about it all. I feel like I may be one of the lucky ones. I feel like keeping an open mind may just bring me to full healing. And we all deserve full healing. Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you.  :smitten:

[44...]

Congratulations on two years!!  I'm about two months ahead of you, and also eat mmj to help me sleep longer.

The less stigma/dogma out in the world, the better.  Your open mind will reward you.

Thx, Bads! I’ve chatted with you in Dolphin’s blog. :smitten: You sound like you’ve researched MMJ extensively - you have an amazing grasp of the pharmaceutical component of all this. I’ve read your posts on CBN for sleep, but I don’t see anything about it in my dispensary’s menu - only THC + CBD listed. Any recs on what I might say to the pharmacist when I get my card? I’ve met with her once, and she’s a very kind, compassionate person. I think she will do her best to find the right strain and presentation for me. Is it just a lot of trial and error in the beginning?

[44...]

Yes, I've done a bit of research on it.  Just signed the lease on a private cannabis testing facility (I've done testing at my university for several years).  Hope to have the doors open in a month or two.  It's exciting (although I don't need the associated stress).

Finding the right product is a lot of trial and error in the beginning until you begin to see what works for you.  Keep careful track of the various cannabinoids (and terpenes, if that info is available) that is in the products that you try.  Don't be afraid to ask for a full potency report (more than just THC and CBD).  Don't get too caught up in the Indica versus Sativa game.  There are so many hybrids that the only way one knows what's in their product is to see the potency info.

Mary's Medicinals sells a CBN patch and capsule.  It's not available in my state so I haven't tried it, although I think that I know how to make this stuff myself.  I've not seen enriched CBN products in my local dispensaries, so it may be awhile before those products are available everywhere. 

Bads, Wow! Sounds like you've been at the right place at the right time - I'm so happy for you. :thumbsup: I will keep everything you said in mind, and look forward to hearing more as your facility comes to fruition. I'm very impressed with the medical properties of cannabis, and have a strong gut feeling that I may have been able to save myself 37 years of pain, "if only"... But NOW is good enough for me. Never too late to learn. Bads, might I  PM you with my dispensary's menu and get your take on it? No rush.

Great chart badsocref!  I'm on a CBD oil which helps with appetite promotion some but, would like to increase it even more to maintain my weight during withdrawal/tapering. I'm, leery of THC and psychological benzo withdrawal affects.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!