Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

@[sp...]

The way I did it was I went down appx. .01mg/day. The pills were about .75mg. So I used pill weight and just went down .01mg every day. So, if I'm tapering one pill, it would be .75, then .74, then .73. I paused if I had too many sxs. Otherwise I did not pause.

You need to weigh your pills to make sure they are all the same weight. If the weights vary widely, you could taper them in batches based on pill weight to be extra cautious (that's what I did).

If you're dry cutting, I find that tapering based on pill weight is the easiest thing to do. I still kept a log of how the pill weights converted into drug amount so I could know when I hit the next step down (for instance, when I went from 1.2 to 1.1 valium). Hope this makes sense.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

@spitfire - I tapered 1mg appx. every three months, to give you a sense of how slow I microtapered. Ashton's method is way too fast for most of us.

The way I did it was I went down appx. .01mg/day. The pills were about .75mg. So I used pill weight and just went down .01mg every day. So, if I'm tapering one pill, it would be .75, then .74, then .73. I paused if I had too many sxs. Otherwise I did not pause.

You need to weigh your pills to make sure they are all the same weight. If the weights vary widely, you could taper them in batches based on pill weight to be extra cautious (that's what I did).

If you're dry cutting, I find that tapering based on pill weight is the easiest thing to do. I still kept a log of how the pill weights converted into drug amount so I could know when I hit the next step down (for instance, when I went from 1.2 to 1.1 valium). Hope this makes sense.

Openroad how did you adjust for the difference in pill weights?  I'm still trying to wrap my head around a dry taper vs a liquid (which i've been doing until now)

i don't want to have to carry liquid around with me so wanting to change methods

:)

Hi sixty -

This might sound complicated, but it really wasn't that bad. So when I would get the prescription, I would weigh all the pills and divide them up into categories. The .75s, .77s, .81s, etc. Then I would taper each group of pills at a time.

I would do the corresponding math for each group so I would know where I was when I had to switch groups. I would try to taper one only "weight" of pills per each .10 of valium.

So, for instance, let's say a batch of pills weighed appx .75mg in weight each.

That means that:

1mg = .75

.9mg = .675

.8mg = .6

etc.

(To do this math, you take the pill weight, divide it by 10, then multiple that number by the "step" you want to be at (.9 or .8, etc.) and that's how you get the corresponding pill weights to all the steps)

So, let's say I was at 1mg and wanted to go down to .9mg all with the same pill weight. Day one would be .75, day two would be .74, etc. When I arrived at .67/.68, I knew I was at .9mg :)

If I had more .75mg pills, I would just keep going. If not, I would start on the next batch, redo the math, and taper down till I got to .8mg.

I would make sure all broken pills would stay with their weight counterparts.

It sounds complicated, but it's not too bad and it's actually quite precise and came with no suprises.

I hope this helps!

Hi sixty -

This might sound complicated, but it really wasn't that bad. So when I would get the prescription, I would weigh all the pills and divide them up into categories. The .75s, .77s, .81s, etc. Then I would taper each group of pills at a time.

I would do the corresponding math for each group so I would know where I was when I had to switch groups. I would try to taper one only "weight" of pills per each .10 of valium.

So, for instance, let's say a batch of pills weighed appx .75mg in weight each.

That means that:

1mg = .75

.9mg = .675

.8mg = .6

etc.

(To do this math, you take the pill weight, divide it by 10, then multiple that number by the "step" you want to be at (.9 or .8, etc.) and that's how you get the corresponding pill weights to all the steps)

So, let's say I was at 1mg and wanted to go down to .9mg all with the same pill weight. Day one would be .75, day two would be .74, etc. When I arrived at .67/.68, I knew I was at .9mg :)

If I had more .75mg pills, I would just keep going. If not, I would start on the next batch, redo the math, and taper down till I got to .8mg.

I would make sure all broken pills would stay with their weight counterparts.

It sounds complicated, but it's not too bad and it's actually quite precise and came with no suprises.

I hope this helps!

It helps a lot!  so the key as I see it and you have confirmed is using the weight of each pill as the determiner and then deciding what the mg dosage is from there.

I've had a variety of responses to the query -- that work for the folks who answered-- saying to take an average weight, it all works out in the end etc etc.

My w/d has been protracted as you can see so i don't think i can take that kind of chance.

But weighing each pill and doing the math exactly makes sense and it's a lot of work.  Hey I'll do anything to do a w/d that is as easy as humanly possible given what we're dealing with.

Thank you open road

I felt the same - I didn't want to take any chances, and the pills had a large variance in weight (as low as .67 and as high as .81 for the same 2mg pill!)

If you put your pills in batches, it doesn't really add that much time, to be honest.

I felt the same - I didn't want to take any chances, and the pills had a large variance in weight (as low as .67 and as high as .81 for the same 2mg pill!)

If you put your pills in batches, it doesn't really add that much time, to be honest.

Yes thank you for this.

I'm just a tad spoiled I guess as I've been using liquid for so long where I simply draw up the liquid I require-- from my home made brew  -- daily.

I and settled that when and if I return to dry cutting I will follow your method.

thanks so much for your thoroughness my variance in pill weights was similar to yours!

:)

I just wanted to say that you probably don't need to worry much about pill weight except when you're near a full pill, because taking an average weight works well. The pills are made from a slurry with a reasonably well-distributed amount of drug (API) per weight, so no matter what the pill weighs, within reason, you can cut to a certain amount and expect to have the same amount of drug (API). That's what I did, and that's what many do, and it seems to work well. I didn't do any better when I was trying to account for individual pill weights, and then I realized it didn't make sense to do that because the heavier pills do not contain a different amount of drug per weight than the lighter ones; the density/distribution can be assumed to be relatively uniform, at least for our purposes.

Hope that takes a little bit of pain out the process. It definitely isn't easy, but that made things so much easier for me.

@[he...]

Your experience might be different. As they say, YMMV. :thumbsup:

Also, it depends on the drug. I tapered diazepam, and the pills really varied a lot in weight--sometimes by more than .10mg/pill. That would factor in, as well.

I just wanted to say that you probably don't need to worry much about pill weight except when you're near a full pill, because taking an average weight works well. The pills are made from a slurry with a reasonably well-distributed amount of drug (API) per weight, so no matter what the pill weighs, within reason, you can cut to a certain amount and expect to have the same amount of drug (API). That's what I did, and that's what many do, and it seems to work well. I didn't do any better when I was trying to account for individual pill weights, and then I realized it didn't make sense to do that because the heavier pills do not contain a different amount of drug per weight than the lighter ones; the density/distribution can be assumed to be relatively uniform, at least for our purposes.

Hope that takes a little bit of pain out the process. It definitely isn't easy, but that made things so much easier for me.

Yep! that what I said  so did  one of the mathematical geniuses who used to be on here and help everyone with their taper amounts maths etc  and also worked for a pharmaceutical company that makes pills and other drugs said the same thing its the fillers not the drug itself the drugs only a tiny amount  regardless of the pill weight you still get the same amount of drug.

And I'm super transitive to Benzos I have gene tests done with Myogenes that showed this as well as other drugs to avoid. Too late now to shut the gate the horse has already bolted plus this wasn't around when I was put on Benzo's year's ago  >:(

Nova  :smitten:

Thanks for this info.  :thumbsup:

And as i'm so very very sensitive I just can't make sense of this.  I know the average etc etc.  But when I'm going down less that .01mg daily the averages just don't make sense to this brain.  I'm someone who needs to dose 3x a day valium -- and I've heard the 200 hour half-life stuff -- perhaps it's kindling.

I'm going to stick to my home brew liquid or measure each pill and use the weight of each pill. 

unfortunately the Dr. im working with is not very tolerant to tapering, in fact shes not very happy that i asked to hold the tapering for a month because im moving and going through alot of personal problems right now. I told her that im moving into a new house on 26th of next month (im at 5MG valium so id at least need 30 pills? was hoping for at least 45 so i could have a few weeks to move in. She prescribed me 20 pills. Well that doesnt even make it until i move. Sigh, so i highly doubt shed be willing to go the liquid valium route or slow it down enough....she finally agreed to me coming down .5 instead of 1MG and holding for 2 weeks at a time but thats it. This comes from a "benzo wise" Dr who thinks 3 month taper is really extending it out....but was willing to do it. Her initial plan was a 3 month taper off of .5 Xanax every other day taking half my dose. LOL. Yes what a great plan. Then the 2nd month you skip your dose every other day, then 3rd month you go down to .25 every other day then your done. Ridiculous, you should have seen her frown and complain when i wanted to move over to valium. She finally agreed but would not do a cross over....i had to use the 3 remaining xanax pills i had to do it within 3 days. So i guess in 20 days i start coming down .5 every two weeks on Valium whether im ready or not. It still amazes me how clueless even these "benzo wise" doctors can be. I guess i should just shutup and consider myself lucky i get a taper at all

unfortunately the Dr. im working with is not very tolerant to tapering, in fact shes not very happy that i asked to hold the tapering for a month because im moving and going through alot of personal problems right now. I told her that im moving into a new house on 26th of next month (im at 5MG valium so id at least need 30 pills? was hoping for at least 45 so i could have a few weeks to move in. She prescribed me 20 pills. Well that doesnt even make it until i move. Sigh, so i highly doubt shed be willing to go the liquid valium route or slow it down enough....she finally agreed to me coming down .5 instead of 1MG and holding for 2 weeks at a time but thats it. This comes from a "benzo wise" Dr who thinks 3 month taper is really extending it out....but was willing to do it. Her initial plan was a 3 month taper off of .5 Xanax every other day taking half my dose. LOL. Yes what a great plan. Then the 2nd month you skip your dose every other day, then 3rd month you go down to .25 every other day then your done. Ridiculous, you should have seen her frown and complain when i wanted to move over to valium. She finally agreed but would not do a cross over....i had to use the 3 remaining xanax pills i had to do it within 3 days. So i guess in 20 days i start coming down .5 every two weeks on Valium whether im ready or not. It still amazes me how clueless even these "benzo wise" doctors can be. I guess i should just shutup and consider myself lucky i get a taper at all

Look and see if there's a Dr that may possibly help you on this list  at the bottom of this page https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/

Nova  :smitten:

There is no reason you should have to suffer.  Nova is right.  Look at the list and see if you can find a real benzo wise Dr. From the list.  If not from the list, call around your area and see if you can find someone.  Your doctor is going to have you going way too fast.  Maybe give her some information regarding benzo tapering.

Marie

I hope I didn’t double-post. My internet cut out mid-post.

Hi Hereforhelp,

You’ve definitely helped ME here earlier in my ongoing (5 months so far) taper off 1 mg ClonazePam (Accord). I am continuing my 5% dry cut and hold every 3-4 weeks working with 0.5 tablets. Down to 0.225 grams and getting ready to cut again. I’m still experiencing issues with my 2nd Gemini scale (drafts, old house, etc,), but I persist. It takes me hours to cut and weigh 7 doses! Anyhoo, I read and re-read the API weight theory (fact). Are you saying that I don’t need to weigh each full 0.5 mg pill, but use the average weight (170 grams) and add whatever filed down amount in grams to equal total desired weight?

I’ve been weighing each 0.5 mg pill, taking that weight in grams and adding additional filed down piece to equal total desired for each dose. My pills tend to range between 0.167 - 0.174 grams. Rarely do the weights consistently equal 0.170 grams. One dose may look like this: 0.170 + 0.055 = 0.225. The next might be: 0.168 + 0.057 = 0.225.

I did weigh out 10 pills to get the average weight of 0.170 grams per 0.5 mg pill.

I’m just wondering if I can eliminate the additional PITA of having to weigh each 0.5mg pill PLUS figuring out the additional weight of the piece needed for desired daily dose. I only dose in the morning. I’d be thrilled to only file and weigh one piece to add to the “supposed” 0.170 grams (or whatever the average is). I hope I haven’t completely caused your brain to explode. I’m trying to avoid a water taper or a daily dry cut micro-taper unless absolutely necessary. I’m not sure I could deal with the daily measuring and the water taper seems a bit scary to me. 😳

Congratulations and best wishes on your upcoming jump! It’s so lovely and comforting to have such intelligent and kind souls such as yourself, Libertas, WintersSun, etc. here to help the rookies start their journey. You are so very much appreciated. I wish only the smoothest transition back to a happier life for you. Eugene would be proud. 😊

Merci,

CK

Hi CKing,

That's a good question. You still need to weigh your whole tablet, because you need to weigh out the right amount of med for your full dose, and the weight of that first pill tells you what weight you need to cut/file the second pill to, but that shouldn't add more than a minute for each dose you make. Once you have that full pill weighed, you just cut/file the next pill so it weighs the remainder of what you need for your total dose. It sounds like you're already doing that. What you don't need to do is change your calculations based on individual pill weights and skew the weight you're cutting/filing to based on the weight of each pill. Calculate each new dose based on the ideal weight of .170 g, and cut, file, and weigh every dose based off that.

I'm glad I've been able to be a help to you. There are some truly great people on this site. I'm so thankful for them, as they've been great sources of information, know-how, and support in my own journey.

So if you're at .225 g pill weight, you should be at 0.662 mg clonazepam? My shortcut for that with .170-gram 0.5-mg tablets is take your pill weight in mg, which is 225 mg in this case, and divide by 340... 225 mg / 340 = 0.662 mg.

Hi CKing,

That's a good question. You still need to weigh your whole tablet, because you need to weigh out the right amount of med for your full dose, and the weight of that first pill tells you what weight you need to cut/file the second pill to, but that shouldn't add more than a minute for each dose you make. Once you have that full pill weighed, you just cut/file the next pill so it weighs the remainder of what you need for your total dose. It sounds like you're already doing that. What you don't need to do is change your calculations based on individual pill weights and skew the weight you're cutting/filing to based on the weight of each pill. Calculate each new dose based on the ideal weight of .170 g, and cut, file, and weigh every dose based off that.

I'm glad I've been able to be a help to you. There are some truly great people on this site. I'm so thankful for them, as they've been great sources of information, know-how, and support in my own journey.

So if you're at .225 g pill weight, you should be at 0.662 mg clonazepam? My shortcut for that with .170-gram 0.5-mg tablets is take your pill weight in mg, which is 225 mg in this case, and divide by 340... 225 mg / 340 = 0.662 mg.

Thank you for clarifying, hereforhelp! So it seems I’m doing it correctly. I’m surprised! Yes, thank you on the conversion from grams to mg equation. I’ve been using that to gauge my progress. Maddeningly slow.

I decided to post here because most of the FB groups I’ve joined, and left, are too horrific for me. Many newcomers are put off by the graphic details and are afraid to begin tapering. I find it’s much calmer here.

Thank you, again, and I will miss you when you jump, but I hope you never have to come back here again. 🥰

CK

Love to hear from anyone that has ground up your benzo, and used the powder for your dose?  Also, I'm talking a dry-taper, and weighing out my dose with a rather inexpensive scale, just under $30.

I cut a weeks worth of C tablets, 1 mg and have tapered and held 11.2 % since Mar. 25, so taking a .89 dose.  I got so many little chunks and powder that I feel it would be more accurate to try making a powder of one and seeing how it weighs out.  I think it would be easier but looking for feedback ;)  I don't plan to have any fans on that's for sure  :laugh: Denise  :thumbsup:

PS I guess I would just drop the dose on my tongue and wash it down with water as I do with the chunks :idiot:  although not sure of the taste, may gag me  :-\

Love to hear from anyone that has ground up your benzo, and used the powder for your dose?  Also, I'm talking a dry-taper, and weighing out my dose with a rather inexpensive scale, just under $30.

I cut a weeks worth of C tablets, 1 mg and have tapered and held 11.2 % since Mar. 25, so taking a .89 dose.  I got so many little chunks and powder that I feel it would be more accurate to try making a powder of one and seeing how it weighs out.  I think it would be easier but looking for feedback ;)  I don't plan to have any fans on that's for sure  :laugh: Denise  :thumbsup:

PS I guess I would just drop the dose on my tongue and wash it down with water as I do with the chunks :idiot:  although not sure of the taste, may gag me  :-\

You might have to make with capsules and filler. Powder will not register in smaller weights. See this link. It’s from a member.

https://benzodrytapermath.com/

It looks more complicated to me, but everyone is different.

You might have to make with capsules and filler. Powder will not register in smaller weights. See this link. It’s from a member.

Hmm, I'm thinking more complicated too, but I'll go look at link now.  Thanks so much for the reply ;) Denise  :thumbsup:

I'd never seen this video, or the website!  Just goes to show always something new to learn on here  :thumbsup:

Wow, that is pretty neat but not sure if I want to try even with the "tools" as I have a tremor, shakey hands, and my head.  The good news is I think I can figure out a worksheet now that you showed me this, just for a dry-cut (not powder w/filler)  :thumbsup:  I was baffled by the worksheets that some pointed out for me to use but I couldn't get my brain to kick in but I really feel having a worksheet and especially a 30-31 day pill case, thank you again, so much!!

I couldn't handle the crushed benzo in capsules. My body did not metabolize it the same way, and I had more severe symptoms. I tried it for a week went back to filing and weighing. That being said, Bob7's method the CKing linked to has worked for many on this forum.

CKing, I'm glad that was helpful to you. It's always good to know you have indeed been doing things the right way. I don't think I'll be completely gone from here, though I already spend more time in the FB group chats and pages (Benzo Warrior). I only come here at this point to help others where I'm able. I'm definitely ready to get back to living and not merely surviving, and because of that, I'll inevitably be spending more time on other pursuits, but know I will not forget about you guys.

Hmm, I'm thinking more complicated too, but I'll go look at link now.  Thanks so much for the reply ;) Denise  :thumbsup:

I'd never seen this video, or the website!  Just goes to show always something new to learn on here  :thumbsup:

Wow, that is pretty neat but not sure if I want to try even with the "tools" as I have a tremor, shakey hands, and my head.  The good news is I think I can figure out a worksheet now that you showed me this, just for a dry-cut (not powder w/filler)  :thumbsup:  I was baffled by the worksheets that some pointed out for me to use but I couldn't get my brain to kick in but I really feel having a worksheet and especially a 30-31 day pill case, thank you again, so much!!

Agree. Too much work. Hereforhelp and Winters Sun really helped me with the math. I’m dry cutting from 0.5 mg Klonopin (Accord orange scored tablets).

A 10% cut is (your dose weight in grams x .90, 5% cut is dose weight x .95) Whatever weight you end up with is your dose. Example: Weight of 1mg Accord is approx 340 grams. 0.5mg = 170 grams. If you want to make a 5% cut of 0.5 mg you’d multiply 0.170 grams x 0.95 = 0.161 grams. 0.161 grams would be your new dose. Once you have your dose in the calculator you can just keep multiplying by 0.95 and record your desired monthly taper. I’m sure you know all of this, but I had to keep pounding it into my head until I had an AHA! moment. I think there are calculators and spreadsheets on line, but they just confuse me more. Of course, you know you calculate cut from last dose NOT from starting dose.

What a hassle. There really should be much smaller doses available in tablets. It’s cruel.

Best of luck with it.

I couldn't handle the crushed benzo in capsules. My body did not metabolize it the same way, and I had more severe symptoms. I tried it for a week went back to filing and weighing. That being said, Bob7's method the CKing linked to has worked for many on this forum.

CKing, I'm glad that was helpful to you. It's always good to know you have indeed been doing things the right way. I don't think I'll be completely gone from here, though I already spend more time in the FB group chats and pages (Benzo Warrior). I only come here at this point to help others where I'm able. I'm definitely ready to get back to living and not merely surviving, and because of that, I'll inevitably be spending more time on other pursuits, but know I will not forget about you guys.

You have been amazing! I spend too much time on Benzo Warriors as well. I try not to go there too often, but there I am. I’ve probably seen your posts or comments and not known it was you! It happens when one is feeling paralyzed. There’s a new FB group David Powers started called Life After Benzos. It’s not heavily symptom focused, which is refreshing.

Personally, I hope to help people someday, but after a while, I never want to hear the word withdrawal or benzodiazepine ever, ever again. You’re just lovely to pop in and help.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

:smitten:

I appreciate knowing I have some options, whatever fits me best for ease of use and I'm thinking the my little file and scale will definitely be first on my list of options. If I keep feeling as good as I do, I may try my next cut just after my doc appt. on the 9th.  I'm so glad to hear you will still be around, but even the last 2 days I am feeling like getting out and doing things I love, plus it way more like Spring finally! I so love the seasons.

I never asked how you are feel Hereforhelp?  Just the thought of going on into more quality of life,  without draggin that ball & chain around, just keeps me going, and keeps me going  :thumbsup::smitten:

Agree. Too much work. Hereforhelp and Winters Sun really helped me with the math. I’m dry cutting from 0.5 mg Klonopin (Accord orange scored tablets).

A 10% cut is (your dose weight in grams x .90, 5% cut is dose weight x .95) Whatever weight you end up with is your dose. Example: Weight of 1mg Accord is approx 340 grams. 0.5mg = 170 grams. If you want to make a 5% cut of 0.5 mg you’d multiply 0.170 grams x 0.95 = 0.161 grams. 0.161 grams would be your new dose. Once you have your dose in the calculator you can just keep multiplying by 0.95 and record your desired monthly taper. I’m sure you know all of this, but I had to keep pounding it into my head until I had an AHA! moment. I think there are calculators and spreadsheets on line, but they just confuse me more. Of course, you know you calculate cut from last dose NOT from starting dose.

What a hassle. There really should be much smaller doses available in tablets. It’s cruel.

Best of luck with it.

I so appreciate this, you taking the time to share it with me.  I can always use Math help.  I so agree with the way my C is made, no scores at all, and I don't see that mine comes in smaller that 0.5 mg. It's almost as if someone doesn't want to make it too easy for us to taper off, but I suppose that cries "conspiracy theory"  ::)

I just think it's easier to get the 1 mg and shave it off, at least I have more to hang onto since I'm getting skilled at dropping things on the floor ???

I already know they won't stop me from succeeding.  I'll get it done, I've got a good start and learned some hard lessons that I won't repeat, new mistakes only :laugh:

Best of luck with it.

I so appreciate this, you taking the time to share it with me.  I can always use Math help.  I so agree with the way my C is made, no scores at all, and I don't see that mine comes in smaller that 0.5 mg. It's almost as if someone doesn't want to make it too easy for us to taper off, but I suppose that cries "conspiracy theory"  ::)

I just think it's easier to get the 1 mg and shave it off, at least I have more to hang onto since I'm getting skilled at dropping things on the floor ???

I already know they won't stop me from succeeding.  I'll get it done, I've got a good start and learned some hard lessons that I won't repeat, new mistakes only :laugh:

Well, you’re very persistent. I hope your tapering goes more smoothly than most of ours here. It can happen. 😊

I’m surprised that your Klonopin doesn’t come in 0.5 pills. Do you know the manufacturer? It’s written on your bottle. They’ll probably change at some point as there’s been a shortage of some brands lately, but you’ll deal. Yes, you’d think there was a conspiracy. There is! Big Pharma doesn’t want us off these drugs. Less profit so they’re not going to make it any easier. There should be a liquid as well, but it only comes as a compounded suspension and it’s not cheap. There are 0.25 disintegrating tablets, but I’ve not used yet. I’m at 0.66 mg and getting ready to cut again. I started like you, with larger %s, but it caught up with me. Now doing 5% every 3 weeks. I’d LOVE to go faster, but it’s not always worth it. Whatever works for you!

I agree with trying to hold onto the tiny pieces and file. It’s ridiculous and I often file off just a bit too much. You can’t really avoid the tiny pieces if you’re dry tapering. Just a heads up.

Also, I was told to use new batteries in my scale. It helped, but it also has to be level and absolutely no drafts or fans or movement or breathing! 😡

I love your attitude! Go for it!