Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

Like many others, I've tried the dry cut method and found no success so I'm finally starting on a milk titration. I've spoken with Sharkey and he's helped me set up a schedule (thank you!) which originally was to be 1 mg in 100 mL of milk taken twice daily and 1 mg cut in half and taken dry (I take 2 mg's of Klonopin daily). So right now I'm doing that without any cuts for a week just to get used to the whole process of making a daily milk solution. But I've decided that it makes things much easier and makes more sense if next week when I do start my cuts to just put both 1 mg pills in the same solution and disperse that out into two even doses to take daily. I guess that means I'll have to use 200 mL instead of 100 but does that mean my original cut (0.5 mL a day) should remain the same? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just find some of this titration stuff to be confusing and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Hi Fuzzy, and welcome aboard. You and I are fairly close with our dose. I'm not down to 2mg of K/day yet, but getting there (today I'm at 2.44mg/day and counting...started at 8 ). I know Sharkey already answered your questions. You're good to go. I was interested in your signature. Do you take the Omega's, Vit. C D and E, calcium, magnesium, and L-Theanine separately? If so, I was wondering what this addresses for you and why you selected these particular nutrients. Do you use the L-Theanine for calmness/anxiety? I'd love your input. Many thanks, and good luck with things!

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Ul...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized how close we are to Independence Day!!  I think im going to hold at 1ml on Friday so my Benzo Free day is on July 4th!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL  how cool is that  :laugh:

I don't know whether to cry from happiness for you or from sadness for us. You're not leaving us, are you?!

If he ever left us, then we'd begin a huge man-hunt! Sharkey, you're on a 3-year contract with me (since I have so far to go).  You're not allowed to leave any of us  ;D  Hang tight, all!!!!!

LOL.  I will be around for sure.  In 6 months you will be teaching people this stuff!

Six months? Yeh, it'll take me that long to figure out how to get 1/2ml of K solution out of a jar into my mouth!

I just realized how close we are to Independence Day!!  I think im going to hold at 1ml on Friday so my Benzo Free day is on July 4th!!!

I don't know whether to cry from happiness for you or from sadness for us. You're not leaving us, are you?!

If he ever left us, then we'd begin a huge man-hunt! Sharkey, you're on a 3-year contract with me (since I have so far to go).  You're not allowed to leave any of us  ;D  Hang tight, all!!!!!

LOL.  I will be around for sure.  In 6 months you will be teaching people this stuff!

Six months? Yeh, it'll take me that long to figure out how to get 1/2ml of K solution out of a jar into my mouth!

:laugh:

No.... It won't. Once you start this, you learn very quick.

Ok not good at math so I'm just not getting this.  Was planning now on titration 100ml cylinder with 1ml  markings; 1mg day dose taken 4xday. Previous last 2 dry cuts failed.  Gonna take break now but want to prepare for next when ready.  Plan on dissolving 2x .5mg pills in 2ml  80proof vodka then fill with water to 100ml mark. Take out 1ml of solution a day for 14 days the  next 2ml out for 14 days etc.  1ml=1mg correct?  Is this micro titration??  So wished i would have paid attention in math classes when i was younger!  Now it hurts my brain!

Hi everyone, I am new to BB, and about to start my tapering from 1.5 of K that I take at night (.05 x 3). I have learned so much from this forum, the biggest one being that I need/would like to take the slow lane for tapering.  I was prescribed K 8 years ago in June 2007 (not sure of initial dosage), to help withdrawal from an accidental benzo intake.  I was taking a sleep aid with chinese herbs from a multi-marketing company - the chinese decided to replace one of the more expensive herbs with a benzo, then switched up their formula, likely taking the benzo out,  and I started going through hell from benzo withdrawal.  I did not know what was happening to me, but put two and two together about a week later when I saw a news story on TV about it.  Went to Dr. who put me on K to help with withdrawl, but also to help with sleep, which was my initial problem and why I was taking herbal prep.  And, I just kept taking K, not knowing about long term use.  Upon reflection, and reading these posts I realize that I have many symptoms of tolerance withdrawl.

Liquid micro tapering appeals to me, and I found a compouding pharmacist to do the liquid. 

I will begin to do the daily micro tapering hopefully next week, with a combination of pills and liquid, with the goal of  doing a 5% cut at the end of 2 weeks - I don't know what the daily taper is, that's for the pharmacist to figure out!  I dry tapered off of .05 of K in January with 10% cuts and holding for 2 weeks and it was manageble, but I didn't continue the tapering, and have been holding at 1.5 of K since then.  Last week I tried dry tapering at the 10% rate again, and it wasn't so manageble.

I would like feed back on the following questions:

1.  I will be doing a combination of still taking pills and doing my daily tapers with liquid suspension from a pharmacy - has anyone else done a combination - I'm thinking there shouldn't be any difference.

2.  As I am already experiencing tolerance withdrawal, (anxiety, fog, sensory overload), am I perhaps doing too high of a taper?  If I start experienceing unmanageable withdrawal, should I just hold my daily taper for a few days?

I am self administering my tapering plan, with my Dr. going along with it, but him not really understanding a slow withdrawal, or withdrawl effects.  I also have an appt. with my Naturopathic Dr. next week to support me with supplementation.  Any support or other ideas on my plan would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Hi Finnie. I'm a newbie to micro-tapering, too, so not much help but I wanted to say welcome!

You tell him, Ultra!! And at the rate I'm going, I may need that 3-year contract, too. Ugh!

Mercy! From all of my physiology and chemistry labs I had when I went back to graduate school at my old age (Lord only knows how I managed to complete the masters degree while being on boat-loads of K as well as other psychotropic meds), I learned one hard lesson...ALWAYS use glass. I do know that plastics mess with various solvents and meds, not to mention the toxins released by the plastic into the solution. For what it's worth...

Ultra, I store my liquid alprazolam and its dilution in glass bottles. But, after supper each day, I draw up my bedtime and the next day's alprazolam into 6 separate syringes, one for each dose. My son is there to check to make sure I do it right. I have serious cog fog. I need to do this when I know I can focus and get it right. The syringes have little caps. I can grab one and go if I need to leave the house. The med is in the syringe for 3-24 hours depending on the dose. Do you think keeping the med in the plastic syringe that long is risky? The manufacturer said not to do it. Another person on BB said she does it all the time.

Ok not good at math so I'm just not getting this.  Was planning now on titration 100ml cylinder with 1ml  markings; 1mg day dose taken 4xday. Previous last 2 dry cuts failed.  Gonna take break now but want to prepare for next when ready.  Plan on dissolving 2x .5mg pills in 2ml  80proof vodka then fill with water to 100ml mark. Take out 1ml of solution a day for 14 days the  next 2ml out for 14 days etc.  1ml=1mg correct?  Is this micro titration??  So wished i would have paid attention in math classes when i was younger!  Now it hurts my brain!

Welcome bigbird. Glad to hear you are taking break and planning ahead. Fear not. The math gurus (not me) will be along soon to help!

Place the 2 pills into a jar with the 2 mL of vodka.  Let pills dissolve. Then measure out 98 mL of water using your graduated cylinder. Add to the jar.  Shake. Remove 0.25 mL, toss, and then divide the liquid into your four doses or you can measure out each dose when you are ready to take it with the graduated cylinder.

1 mg/100 mL = 0.01 mg/mL   

You can remove 0.25 mL (this will be a 0.0025 mg/day cut) the first day. The second day remove 2 x 0.25 mL = 0.50 mL, the third day remove 3 x 0.25 mL = 0.75 mL, the fourth day remove 4 x 0.25 mL = 1 mL and so on.

Once you start your taper, you can increase your daily cut if you feel good.  Right now, I am tapering lorazepam (started at 0.75 mg/day) and I decrease by 0.005 mg/day.

Hope this helps

Anne

Place the 2 pills into a jar with the 2 mL of vodka.  Let pills dissolve. Then measure out 98 mL of water using your graduated cylinder. Add to the jar.  Shake. Remove 0.25 mL, toss, and then divide the liquid into your four doses or you can measure out each dose when you are ready to take it with the graduated cylinder.

1 mg/100 mL = 0.01 mg/mL   

You can remove 0.25 mL (this will be a 0.0025 mg/day cut) the first day. The second day remove 2 x 0.25 mL = 0.50 mL, the third day remove 3 x 0.25 mL = 0.75 mL, the fourth day remove 4 x 0.25 mL = 1 mL and so on.

Once you start your taper, you can increase your daily cut if you feel good.  Right now, I am tapering lorazepam (started at 0.75 mg/day) and I decrease by 0.005 mg/day.

Hope this helps

Anne

This is exactly what I would have suggested.  Thanks Anne!

Bigbird, If you have questions about this let us know.

sharkey

Wow, this thread goes fast....

Just wanted to say hello to anyone who has been hopping in the micro taper train .

Little too foggy to read it all back. But hello from me too.

And hope everyones morning finds them feeling a bit better and a bit stronger.

:smitten:

Hello Buddies,

I hope everyone had a good day.

Quick question please:  Is it ok to put my solution in plastic? I see so many using glass containers.  Does it have something to do with absorption?

Just curious.  I just want to be successful in my taper.

Thanks so much.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle, I just know that some forms of plastic can absorb some Valium, yes.

Mercy! From all of my physiology and chemistry labs I had when I went back to graduate school at my old age (Lord only knows how I managed to complete the masters degree while being on boat-loads of K as well as other psychotropic meds), I learned one hard lesson...ALWAYS use glass. I do know that plastics mess with various solvents and meds, not to mention the toxins released by the plastic into the solution. For what it's worth...

Hello Ultra,

Thank you kindly for your input too.  So much appreciated.  Yes, I went out today and bought some glass containers  And, you just reaffirmed my decision.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Anne,

I looked at your progress log.  Your taper is very impressive.  you got this down!  Thanks for posting your progress.  I wish I would have kept up with mine.  I did about 10 posts but stopped.  It is very important for people to see the progress while someone is taper.  It inspired me when I was new here.

sharkey

Hello Buddies,

I have all my equipment now to make my first patch to begin my daily micro taper.

As suggested, I will hold for a week at my current dose to get used to using the liquid.

Before everyone takes off to enjoy their 4th of July weekend, I was hoping someone could please tell me by how much I should begin my cut.

I currently take 1/4 of a 0.5 mg tab twice daily of ativan.

You are all so much appreciated by me.  I can't wait to share my progress.

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Sharkey,

Yes, the taper is going well.  I was a bit worried at first because I did not feel fully stabilized as I did with my first taper.  So far so good.  I did a daily water titration taper back in 2007.  Before the taper I had terrible symptoms--high blood pressure spikes, shakiness, and constant lightheadedness with balance issues. I had no idea it was due to that little pill. Once I updosed and started tapering, I was pretty much symptom free except for the few times when I made a mistake with my dosage. I had no problems after I jumped. The turtle taper was the key for me.  It took  almost 1.5 years to taper from 0.75 mg of lorazepam. 

I am going to keep posting in the progress log. I regret that I did not keep a journal during my last taper.

Congratulations to you!!  Only a few days left and you will be off the benzo!!  You have done a great job with your taper.  Starting this support thread was a great idea. It does and will continue to allow many other people to taper smoothly and avoid some of the worse symptoms of benzo withdrawal.

I wish you all the best.

Anne

Hello Buddies,

I have all my equipment now to make my first patch to begin my daily micro taper.

As suggested, I will hold for a week at my current dose to get used to using the liquid.

Before everyone takes off to enjoy their 4th of July weekend, I was hoping someone could please tell me by how much I should begin my cut.

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

So glad you are ready to roll.  If you follow the plan that I did for you,  I would reduce by 1ml (CORRECTION) a day which would be .0025mg a day.  I think we did a .5mg/200ml solution right?

sharkey

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

So glad you are ready to roll.  If you follow the plan that I did for you,  I would reduce by 1ml (CORRECTION) a day which would be .0025mg a day.  I think we did a .5mg/200ml solution right?

sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

I might have this wrong, but I think Doodledog is on 0.250 mg/day and not 0.5 mg/day.  He only needs to use 100 mL of the liquid and save the other 100 mL for the next day (or toss it). 0.5 mg in 200 mL (0.0025 mg/mL) gives him 0.25 mg/day for two days. If he uses 100 mL of  liquid and reduces by 1 mL/day, after two weeks this would be a 14% cut. If he reduces by 0.5 mL/day this will be a 7% cut after 2 weeks. 

Anne

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

I might have this wrong, but I think Doodledog is on 0.250 mg/day and not 0.5 mg/day.  He only needs to use 100 mL of the liquid and save the other 100 mL for the next day (or toss it). 0.5 mg in 200 mL (0.0025 mg/mL) gives him 0.25 mg/day for two days. If he uses 100 mL of  liquid and reduces by 1 mL/day, after two weeks this would be a 14% cut. If he reduces by 0.5 mL/day this will be a 7% cut after 2 weeks. 

Anne

You guys are making my head spin! :o

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

sharkey

Hey Sharkey,

I am so sorry that my printer is not working so I could not print everything out.  I went back from the time I joined this group and reread your posts. 

Yes, I see how much to make for my first week of staying at my current dose, however, I just could not find by how much I should cut once I begin the daily taper.  Looks like it should be 1ml a day.....right?

Thanks again.  I should hope that your last few days before freedom are going ok for you.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

Anne

Hi Anne,

Now I am really confused.  Yes, I take the 0.5 mg pills and cut them 4 ways and take 2 of the quarters daily.

Oh by the way, I am a she and not a he.  :laugh:  But, it's all good.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

Anne

You guys are making my head spin! :o

Hey Gardener,

My head is spinning a bit too!

Here's wishing you all the best in your taper.

doodle dog

Hi all  :hug: to anyone thats in fear of all the 'What ifs  :-\ that may well be the ''what never happened after all ''  ::) before, during tapering and withdrawal here is a  couple of quotes that I really believe in and maybe others will find it helpful . Paolo Coelho was right when he wrote: ''The fear of suffering is worse than suffering itself. :thumbsup:

Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.

Aman Dahanda

To complain is always nonacceptance of what is. It invariably carries an unconscious negative charge. When you complain, you make yourself into a victim. When you speak out, you are in your power. So change the situation by taking action or by speaking out if necessary or possible; leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness.

Eckhart Tolle

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey doodle dog and Anne,

You are doing 2 days worth of batches at a time.  This is so you don't have to break a pill in half before making the solution.  That can cause inconsistencies.  So you will take one of your .5mg pills and make a 200ml solution.  So 100ml will contain .25mg which is your daily dose correct?

So your schedule will look like this:

100ml/.25mg solution

Day 1:  100ml (divide into 2 even doses)

Day 2:  99ml (divide)

Day 3:  98ml

Day 4:  97ml

And so on....

Each 1ml represents .0025mg.  After you start,  you can them decide if you want to keep this rate, increase it, or slow down some.

Anne, I glad someone is checking my math.  I do make mistakes so I'm glad I have someone to catch them.

Stay strong!

sharkey

Hello Buddies,

With much gratitude,

doodle dog

Hey doodledog,

sharkey

Hi Sharkey,

Anne

Hi Anne,

Now I am really confused.  Yes, I take the 0.5 mg pills and cut them 4 ways and take 2 of the quarters daily.

Oh by the way, I am a she and not a he.  :laugh:  But, it's all good.

With gratitude,

doodle dog

Doodle Dog,

I am sorry about typing he instead of she.  :-[ 

You take 0.250 mg daily. When you make up your liquid, you use a 0.5 mg pill in 200 mL.  Each 100 mL contains 0.25 mg and each mL will contain 0.0025 mg. 

Removing 0.5 mL from your 100 mL liquid, will be a 7% reduction in 14 days. If you remove 1 mL/day this would be a 14% cut in two weeks.  Removing 0.5 mL/day which will be much easier on you than a 14% cut.

Anne

Doodle Dog,

I see Sharkey provided you with a sample schedule.  Removing 1 mL/day from the 200 mL is the same as removing 0.5 mL/day from 100 mL of liquid. This is a good plan.  I have been tapering since June 1, and it is going very well. I am down from 0.75 mg/day of lorazepam to 0.590 mg/day. 

Have a great day!!

Anne