Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Polydrugging support group

[Co...]

I am currently on 200mg Lamictal, 1.5mg Ativan, and 10mg Prozac. My new psychiatrist agrees with me that the Lamictal is not necessary, but I’m scared to start a taper. I would love to hear from someone that has experience with Lamictal withdrawal. Thanks!

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [ga...]

• [Li...]

• [ra...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently on 200mg Lamictal, 1.5mg Ativan, and 10mg Prozac. My new psychiatrist agrees with me that the Lamictal is not necessary, but I’m scared to start a taper. I would love to hear from someone that has experience with Lamictal withdrawal. Thanks!

Hello :)

I took anti-epileptics, too. And Ativan. And other stuff. For me the taper from Ativan was the first. I cannot see any signature from you, it would be helpful to know how long you have been on which med etc.

As I have been on almost any med on earth that a psychiatrist can put you on, I am convinced no one on earth NEEDs a psychiatrist OR the meds they prescribe. When I started to taper one after the other they told me I was crazy and would never make it and here I am. Its possible. Not an easy ride, but possible. My experience is that I could not recover fully while being on a med, thats why I decided to get rid of all of them and the day I was finally med free I still remember.. and the effects. It hink under the 3 meds you are currently on, its difficult even to decide what to do cause its not possible to feel your true self. The hole body s chemistry is influenced by this cocktail. I would start with the medication that has the lowest impact on your sleep and go slowly according the ashton manual. I would then not updose the other 2 meds no matter how hard it gets! Thats a mistake doctors want to play with us telling us, well then for short time you need more from med 2 in order to taper med 1...

I would also consider the possibility to switch Ativan towards Valium, because tis so difficult to cut and maybe the long term effect of Valium would help to overcome the 2 other meds.

Its the nature of withdrawal that we think we will never make it, do not forget about that. Its not the truth. So many of us have done it.

Wishing you the best!

Marigold

Hello :)

I took anti-epileptics, too. And Ativan. And other stuff. For me the taper from Ativan was the first. I cannot see any signature from you, it would be helpful to know how long you have been on which med etc.

As I have been on almost any med on earth that a psychiatrist can put you on, I am convinced no one on earth NEEDs a psychiatrist OR the meds they prescribe. When I started to taper one after the other they told me I was crazy and would never make it and here I am. Its possible. Not an easy ride, but possible. My experience is that I could not recover fully while being on a med, thats why I decided to get rid of all of them and the day I was finally med free I still remember.. and the effects. It hink under the 3 meds you are currently on, its difficult even to decide what to do cause its not possible to feel your true self. The hole body s chemistry is influenced by this cocktail. I would start with the medication that has the lowest impact on your sleep and go slowly according the ashton manual. I would then not updose the other 2 meds no matter how hard it gets! Thats a mistake doctors want to play with us telling us, well then for short time you need more from med 2 in order to taper med 1...

I would also consider the possibility to switch Ativan towards Valium, because tis so difficult to cut and maybe the long term effect of Valium would help to overcome the 2 other meds.

Its the nature of withdrawal that we think we will never make it, do not forget about that. Its not the truth. So many of us have done it.

Wishing you the best!

Marigold

excellent advice :thumbsup: and i bolded the part that sang to me

• 4 weeks later...

is anybody else here polytapering?

You mean tapering more than one med at a time?

I would not do that. I tried it once.  ::)

Which med do you want to taper at the same time?

hey marigold!

yes, more than one drug at once.  :thumbsup:

i've been tapering seroquel for 2 years, only been DLMT'ing clonazepam for a couple of weeks.

so far so good...hope i'm not jinxing myself saying it!

but i'm going snail's pace slow. on both tapers. my drug hx is in my signature, the first link.

i'm only going 5% every 2 months on clonazepam, a 3 years taper approximately off of 1mg clonazepam/klonopin. maybe that's why it's going well so far?

hey marigold!

yes, more than one drug at once.  :thumbsup:

i've been tapering seroquel for 2 years, only been DLMT'ing clonazepam for a couple of weeks.

so far so good...hope i'm not jinxing myself saying it!

but i'm going snail's pace slow. on both tapers. my drug hx is in my signature, the first link.

i'm only going 5% every 2 months on clonazepam, a 3 years taper approximately off of 1mg clonazepam/klonopin. maybe that's why it's going well so far?

To be honest I do not know one person with a taper which was going well, so you seem to be very lucky! When it comes to tapering, as long as you feel fine, time does not matter, why not go slow? :thumbsup:

thank you marigold!

today i've been going thru a big bunch of records from a pharmacy who sent me my RX history...putting everything in an accurate timeline.

to be honest, seeing this crap laid out in black and white, the chronological order of exactly which drugs were foisted on me, makes me wanna s*** the crap outta a certain prescriber. and i think they know it too.

anyways.

how is your taper going?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I know someone who is polydrugged and is pretty messed up from it. She is on Wellbutrin, Lorazepam, Ambien and Adderall. This person is close to me and I’m very worried. I am thinking she needs to taper the Adderall first. Curious of your thoughts and how to taper the Adderall? Thank you for your help.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi, I know someone who is polydrugged and is pretty messed up from it. She is on Wellbutrin, Lorazepam, Ambien and Adderall. This person is close to me and I’m very worried. I am thinking she needs to taper the Adderall first. Curious of your thoughts and how to taper the Adderall? Thank you for your help.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

I'm not an expert but I was pollydrugged (tapering a benzo now). I have read that when considering tapering from a bunch a meds, to consider tapering the most agitating medication first and then move from there.  Considerations are preserving sleep and managing depression/anxiety to the best of one's ability. 

So perhaps your friend could reflect on the med that is the most agitating of the group and start with that one. Just a thought. 

İs there anybody who have CT'd polyrug like me? When i was already in wd of abilify, i have ct'd lamictal,brintellix and remeron in hospital after 20 days. 20 days were in my favor, but my sensitized system corrupted with this sudden changes. İ  am now on remeron for app 4 months and waiting for stabilization. When will it come, to you?

Thank you Gardener and Final healing, I believe the Adderall is an upper and it is by far the most agitating Imo. I’ll look under other medications and check on the Surviving antidepressants forum. I am just starting to look into all this for her. This all breaks my heart because I’ve come off Benzodiazepines twice and now Remeron and I know how debilitating it is to taper off these drugs. Finalhealing how many meds have you tapered and how are you doing? I appreciate you both for responding to me. I feel very sad for this person, it’s a family member. It boggles my mind that her doctor would write her all these scripts and at huge amounts and Mgs. Anyway thank you!

Jackie  :smitten:

Thank you Gardener and Final healing, I believe the Adderall is an upper and it is by far the most agitating Imo. I’ll look under other medications and check on the Surviving antidepressants forum. I am just starting to look into all this for her. This all breaks my heart because I’ve come off Benzodiazepines twice and now Remeron and I know how debilitating it is to taper off these drugs. Finalhealing how many meds have you tapered and how are you doing? I appreciate you both for responding to me. I feel very sad for this person, it’s a family member. It boggles my mind that her doctor would write her all these scripts and at huge amounts and Mgs. Anyway thank you!

Jackie  :smitten:

Hi Jackie,

I am on my 4th taper.  After the death of my mom, I fell into grief and depression.  In a short period of time I was cycled on and off about 6 medications, never more than 10 days because I couldn't handle them.  After a hyper reaction to being on one of them for a day, I was prescribed Xanax.  Was on that for 4 months, switched to Clonzapam.  I thought I shouldn't be on them and just started snapping the pills in half.  I went into acute withdrawal but didn't know what was going on and by this time had been on benzos for 8 months. 

I was then put on Remeron and after that Lamictal.  I was on each of those 11 months and then started tapering.  First the Remeron, then 6 months later I started tapering the Lamictal.  I tapered them both at the same time.  Got off Remeron in 2017, continued tapering the Lamictal till the summer of 2018, had some trauma, the medication started making me hyper.  I jumped off in November of 2018, reinstated 2 tenths of a dose and then got off that in February of 2019.  Because I had insomina and was in a bad state, my psychiatrist put me on Clonzapam. 

I'm now tapering Clonzapam and trying to keep my sanity. 

So sorry Final healing. I wish you much healing as you continue to taper. You’ll get there. Someday you’ll look back at all you’ve been through and think, never again. That’s what I’m thinking.  :)

Jackie :smitten:

So sorry Final healing. I wish you much healing as you continue to taper. You’ll get there. Someday you’ll look back at all you’ve been through and think, never again. That’s what I’m thinking.  :)

Jackie :smitten:

Thank you Jackie.  I will get there and you're right, never again.

How you are doing well. 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, i keep going back and forth with this dilemma :idiot:

I reinstalled celexa 5mg despite not being a big dose,it was activating that's why it was given with klonopin 0.5, which was a big mistake, as before  i cted paxil after 4 months and started having which I know now withdrawal sxs: crying spells and anxiety that I never had in my life, cortisol rushes which I mistaken as panic in the mornings.  The dr.  said it was a relapse ...Not.

I listened  even thou I felt it was not  right, I know this drug was addictive but didn't know what extent of hell  it can cause.

after some weeks , I started having sxs from K and reached tolerance, so I started tapering after 5 months bc I had to move and wasn't sure how to taper.... now Im more than have way and , since I tapered celexa first time and ct paxil I haven't sleep well to say the least, Surviving, told me to taper the ssri to preserve my sleep... but I didn't do that , Im so confused ... I wonder if its to late taper celexa or if its correct... I'm scared for my sleep and to take more drugs ...i know the lower i go I feel sleep is a challenge, so or its the ssri effects or regular BW, I do take natural things not always helps...  not sure what to do :'(

Hi,

I know all different polydrugging has caused a lot of suffering, thats why we are here and my heart goes out to all of you who are suffering, which I can obviously empathise. I just get concerned, as whenever I have read  on this site about a combination of Lexapro, Ambien and Lorazepam/Ativan, it just spells a whole lot of trouble serious and problematic SX's when the person is on them pre-taper and when tapering off. I dont want to carry on about all the symptoms I still experience, as I we all suffering different SX's, but all I can say from experience going through this process, the Ambien taper seemed to hit the "Mount Everest" scales when it comes to spikes of anxiety, levels of continuous psychological fear and dread and memory/brain issues. From being a very relaxed and easy going person (even after actively being in a war as a soldier), I have never or could never have imagined the amount of fear and and continual 24/7 anxiety (or one could also call adrenal rush), as the experience of going off Ambien and this combination of drugs would bring. I just wanted it out there, if I had the hindsight, even though my initial problem was days of insomnia, I would easily chose insomnia compared to the hell ride I have been through and still continue to go through.

This could be only subjective experience and an assumption, but I really have followed a lot of members experiences who were poly drugged and it does appear quite apparent.

I reinstalled celexa 5mg despite not being a big dose,it was activating that's why it was given with klonopin 0.5, which was a big mistake, as before  i cted paxil after 4 months and started having which I know now withdrawal sxs: crying spells and anxiety that I never had in my life, cortisol rushes which I mistaken as panic in the mornings.  The dr.  said it was a relapse ...Not.

I listened  even thou I felt it was not  right, I know this drug was addictive but didn't know what extent of hell  it can cause.

after some weeks , I started having sxs from K and reached tolerance, so I started tapering after 5 months bc I had to move and wasn't sure how to taper.... now Im more than have way and , since I tapered celexa first time and ct paxil I haven't sleep well to say the least, Surviving, told me to taper the ssri to preserve my sleep... but I didn't do that , Im so confused ... I wonder if its to late taper celexa or if its correct... I'm scared for my sleep and to take more drugs ...i know the lower i go I feel sleep is a challenge, so or its the ssri effects or regular BW, I do take natural things not always helps...  not sure what to do :'(

Hi Bonty,

I know you are trying to figure out how to proceed and we exchanged posts on the Klonipin Klub thread.  Can you post what doses and meds you are on now? I'm a little confused. 

I struggle with sleep too and it can be scary to think it will get worse but having a plan and going slow will help some with that.  It won't guarantee sleep but it won't shake your CNS so much if you move slowly. 

Hi Bonty,

I know you are trying to figure out how to proceed and we exchanged posts on the Klonipin Klub thread.  Can you post what doses and meds you are on now? I'm a little confused. 

I struggle with sleep too and it can be scary to think it will get worse but having a plan and going slow will help some with that.  It won't guarantee sleep but it won't shake your CNS so much if you move slowly.

Hi HF,

as i mentioned in my post 5mg celexa, 0.23k now from .5mg, which im still struggling with my last cut, breathless, wobbly legs and chest pains that come and go... this is exhausting... and I don't want to add more medication bc of sleep..from the side effects of celexa  idk anymore

I once went to a drug-counselling meeting with my list of drugs that I'd taken in my life, and when he saw 37 on the list he sort of looked a bit shocked.. and said.. I'm surprised to be talking to you today!

I'm thinking of trying to make such a list for 17 years worth of problems and wasted potential.

Hi Bonty,

Hi HF,

as i mentioned in my post 5mg celexa, 0.23k now from .5mg, which im still struggling with my last cut, breathless, wobbly legs and chest pains that come and go... this is exhausting... and I don't want to add more medication bc of sleep..from the side effects of celexa  idk anymore

It sounds like you need a break.  I dont know if you are holding for a bit but it sounds like your body needs to stabilize.  Is the Klonipin helping you sleep at this time?  I always have followed thr general guideline of tapering the most activating med first. 

But first, see if you can stabilize for a bit on order to make a clear decision. 

Hi Bonty,

Hi HF,

It sounds like you need a break.  I dont know if you are holding for a bit but it sounds like your body needs to stabilize.  Is the Klonipin helping you sleep at this time?  I always have followed thr general guideline of tapering the most activating med first. 

But first, see if you can stabilize for a bit on order to make a clear decision.

yes I agree to hold anyway, it was a very difficult 2 weeks and trying to stabilize

thxs  HF for your replay  :)

Hi Bonty,

Hi HF,

yes I agree to hold anyway, it was a very difficult 2 weeks and trying to stabilize

thxs  HF for your replay  :)

You're welcome.  Hang in there.