Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Vertigo...I was wondering...I am going to be flying soon and I am absolutely terrified of flying. In the past I just popped a Klonopin and all was well. Obviously that is not an option anymore..do you think 1 dose of a beta blocker would help me w/the anxiety for the flight or do you think I should just grit my teeth and bear it? I'm afraid I will get myself so worked up that I will be sick my whole vacation.

Hi Sunny,

I'm going to butt in here if that's OK...

For most of my life I couldn't fly without assistance from pot and/or alcohol and/or ambien. I now take l-theanine (anti-anxiety) and that settles me enough.  I've done more traveling - and a hell of a lot longer trips - in my post-benzo, et.al., life than I ever did before, and I must say, I'm doing fabulously.  If it's a long (6+ hours) flight I prefer to sleep, as I'm claustrophobic. On those flights I also take 1000 mg l-trytophan and I sleep for a couple hours.

I suggest you try these; at least the l-theanine. It gives a mild drunk-like buzz.  If you take the tryp, a usual dose is 500 mg. Deep breathing of course is essential, and dive into a good book.

Also, get to the airport early so you have plenty of time. The last thing you need to do is start out anxiety-ridden! Expect security to suck, as it usually does. Have your shoes ready to slip off. And smile at the TSA folks! They're mostly a bunch of a-holes and just wait for an excuse to harass people.

Bon voyage!

ginger

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Vertigo...I was wondering...I am going to be flying soon and I am absolutely terrified of flying. In the past I just popped a Klonopin and all was well. Obviously that is not an option anymore..do you think 1 dose of a beta blocker would help me w/the anxiety for the flight or do you think I should just grit my teeth and bear it? I'm afraid I will get myself so worked up that I will be sick my whole vacation.

Hi Sunny,

For most of my life I couldn't fly without assistance from pot and/or alcohol and/or ambien. I now take l-theanine (anti-anxiety) and that settles me enough.  I've done more traveling - and a hell of a lot longer trips - in my post-benzo, et.al., life than I ever did before, and I must say, I'm doing fabulously.  If it's a long (6+ hours) flight I prefer to sleep, as I'm claustrophobic. On those flights I also take 1000 mg l-trytophan and I sleep for a couple hours.

I suggest you try these; at least the l-theanine. It gives a mild drunk-like buzz.  If you take the tryp, a usual dose is 500 mg. Deep breathing of course is essential, and dive into a good book.

Also, get to the airport early so you have plenty of time. The last thing you need to do is start out anxiety-ridden! Expect security to suck, as it usually does. Have your shoes ready to slip off. And smile at the TSA folks! They're mostly a bunch of a-holes and just wait for an excuse to harass people.

Bon voyage!

ginger

Thanks Ginger..how much L-Theanine would you recommend? I take 300mgs at night to help me sleep along with a cup of CALM (magnesium drink) and do well with it. Would you take 300mgs or more for the flight?

The flight will be about 3 hours..it's the hours before it that I dread the most! Vertigo..I will look into that book and exercises. I've been able to get through most anxiety-ridden events but a flight is a whole other issue for me...

Thanks everyone!

Hi Sunny

That's great advice from Ginger.  I can't take that stuff as I'm on A/Ds.

I've done lots of flying during w/ds and it is a distraction. It's amazing what you can do when you have to.  You are further ahead in the game than me and once you get through this 'phobia' I am sure you will be fine.

Have a great time and be sure to report back!

By the way I am in a bad anxiety wave and have to fly next Wednesday but I am not worried about it.

Angel xx

Hi Sunny,

Bon voyage!

ginger

Hey Ginger.  There is no "butting in" here.  All opinions are welcome.  As far as the L-theanine, my only suggestion is that if somebody has not tried something before, I would not recommend doing it for the first time on an airplane!  Sounds like Sunny has already had experience with that supplement.  In terms of the 1000MG L-Tryptophan, I would be careful since one supplement may be calming for some, might rev up another.  As an example, last night I took 1000MG L-Tryptophan an hour before bed and felt a bit revved up for 90 minutes before I finally fell asleep.  I would suggest trying whatever it is, after checking with one's doctor, a few weeks before flight (maybe several times) to see how one reacts. 

Ginger, like me, you have had many flights and no doubt dealt with all there is to deal with in terms of pre flight stress, aggravation, discomfort on the flight and the jet lag afterwards.  What do you do for jet lag once you get there?  Do you take melatonin or anything else?  I agree, getting to the airport relatively early can be helpful (for some).  Others might find getting too early a chance to ruminate about the upcoming flight.  I never had much panic about flying, just don't like it much, but it is necessary that I do it several times a year. 

V

On another note-I have come down with a cold.  A friend came over last week and was coughing up a storm.  I kept my distance but my husband came down with it and now it is my turn.  OH well the first real cold in 3 years.  I was so scared to get sick when I was tapering.  One of the benefits of limited "outside" exposure was less germs and less illness.  SO I guess this is a sign of me getting back out and into the world! Still taking the 1000mg of L tryptophan.  Sleep is not as deep but I think it may be related to coming down with this virus.  The real benefit is my overall demeanor.  Much more positive, upbeat and resilient.  I will keep it up for a few weeks and maybe take a break to see how I feel.  The Tyrosine arrived but I will not introduce until I feel better so I can accurately assess my response.

Happy Monday!

Mimi

Hi Mimi. Hope your cold will resolve soon.  At a little over a year off, I got a virus and it impacted my sleep. Hopefully you will continue to get good sleep with the L-Tryptophan.  I did not have a great night sleep last night with 1000MG. I am going to try 500MG this evening and see how it goes.  Sounds like a good idea to wait on the Tyrosine. 

Vertigo

HI Verti

I don't have the cold as bad as my husband.  Stayed in bed for most of yesterday and today feel much better.  I did take a tyrosine this am and so far no bad reaction. 

A few notes on the L Tryptophan and feeling a bit revved up.  I had the same experience and added the magnesium which seemed to help.  Check out the Glycinate as it is much less harsh on intestinal tract.  So after almost 2 weeks of taking the L tryptophan it is as if my body has adjusted (to the extra serotonin perhaps) and now I am feeling an overall "glow" as opposed to the slight revving up and then knocked out to sleep.  I am sleeping well (up to pee twice) but back to sleep fairly quickly and still dreaming some nice dreams.  Years ago when I took Prozac for a year I had the same reaction. A tiny bit revved up but once it kicked in I felt fantastic and accomplished more in that year than I did in 5!  I am hoping that will be the case this time as well. 

Ginger I also had a good reaction to L theanine and Lysine as well.  I used lysine to wipe out my cold sores for years and it worked like a charm (Lysine is promoted to suppress the Herpes virus that causes shingles)  Now I don't even get cold sores... Obviously I was/am lacking in the amino acid department.

The L glutamine arrived and I plan of experimenting with it as well in cases of "craving".  Supposed to wipe out cravings and have a calming effect.

I guess something is working...I have a cold etc but already worked and processed quite a few orders and now stripping off all my white slipcovers to wash and bleach and then clean out the fridge and steam clean the floors...more than I did during a year of tapering!!

There is hope!!

Mimi 

HI Verti I don't have the cold as bad as my husband.  Stayed in bed for most of yesterday and today feel much better.  I did take a tyrosine this am and so far no bad reaction.  A few notes on the L Tryptophan and feeling a bit revved up.  I had the same experience and added the magnesium which seemed to help.  Check out the Glycinate as it is much less harsh on intestinal tract.  So after almost 2 weeks of taking the L tryptophan it is as if my body has adjusted (to the extra serotonin perhaps) and now I am feeling an overall "glow" as opposed to the slight revving up and then knocked out to sleep.  I am sleeping well (up to pee twice) but back to sleep fairly quickly and still dreaming some nice dreams.  Years ago when I took Prozac for a year I had the same reaction. A tiny bit revved up but once it kicked in I felt fantastic and accomplished more in that year than I did in 5!  I am hoping that will be the case this time as well.  Ginger I also had a good reaction to L theanine and Lysine as well.  I used lysine to wipe out my cold sores for years and it worked like a charm (Lysine is promoted to suppress the Herpes virus that causes shingles)  Now I don't even get cold sores... Obviously I was/am lacking in the amino acid department. The L glutamine arrived and I plan of experimenting with it as well in cases of "craving".  Supposed to wipe out cravings and have a calming effect. I guess something is working...I have a cold etc but already worked and processed quite a few orders and now stripping off all my white slipcovers to wash and bleach and then clean out the fridge and steam clean the floors...more than I did during a year of tapering!!

There is hope!!

Mimi

Hi Mimi.  Good to read that your cold is mild.  Yes, a strange thing in that last night I felt a little revved up after taking 500MG an hour before bed and another 500MG of L-Tryptophan right before bed.  I tossed and turned for over an hour before falling asleep, which is opposite to how my sleep had been before, usually fall asleep within five minutes of hitting the pillow. Tonight I plan to only take 500MG right before bed.  I've read that with prozac and lexapro, there can be a few weeks of "more anxiety" before their benefits start to emerge, so perhaps that is what is happening as the serotonin reserves "fill up" from the L-Tryptophan.  Interesting that you also had cold sores in the past.  Coincidentally, about two months ago, I had a cold sore in my mouth (not on the outside) which did go away after a week.  I think it's some indication of being out of balance.  I also had one about six months ago.  Maybe I'll look into the Lysine.  As you know, I also had the shingles a couple of years ago.  Hopefully 2012 will be the year of complete healing that we all have been striving towards.

Best,

Vertigo

Hi Sunny,

Bon voyage!

ginger

Thanks Ginger..how much L-Theanine would you recommend? I take 300mgs at night to help me sleep along with a cup of CALM (magnesium drink) and do well with it. Would you take 300mgs or more for the flight?

The flight will be about 3 hours..it's the hours before it that I dread the most! Vertigo..I will look into that book and exercises. I've been able to get through most anxiety-ridden events but a flight is a whole other issue for me...

Thanks everyone!

I'd take the same dose you take at night. But don't take it 3 hours before you fly; you'll be a zombie by the time your board. How about taking it maybe an hour before you have to board; that way most of it will be out of your system by the time you land.

Hi again V, and a big 'hi' to Rocko also!

I posted about my collector's item that I told you about. I first started the topic in the 'inspirational' boards. The topic is called 'A nice story with a happy ending'. Enjoy reading it when you can.

As for my collector's item (an old fashioned made pair---actually 2 pairs of Levi's 501 jeans), it's been a real happy booster for me!

As I explained in my post, there haven't been too many nice things for me to dwell on about my past. At least, not since my dad passed away. I've had 1 pair of jeans that were given to me when I was a junior in high school and I still have them---28 years later! They are in great shape with just minor fraying. The faded color is lovely, a nice stone-washed look. I plan to start another topic in the 'off topic boards about favorite collectable items. Right now, I'd say these are my favorite!

It looks like there has been lots of posting about supplements from different members. I really don't have much experience using these long term other than the melatonin. There was a short period of time when I took a natural sleep aid that included valerian, passionflower, melatonin, and B-6. I think the passionflower gave my some allergy troubles. I have not taken these in almost a year. I still don't know if the valerian could have caused me further GABBA damage post taper.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to all the members who have posted about supplements (vertigo, ginger, sunny, rocko, mtmimi, angel) that I wish you the best as you continue to seek out healing and peace through natural supplements. I hope that wish gives you some comfort!

As for my vintage jeans, they are safe and sound and I plan to keep them in good shape. It's so therapeutic to have some things from a somewhat difficult past that you can really feel good about!

Take care all,

pangelingua

Hi again V, and a big 'hi' to Rocko also! I posted about my collector's item that I told you about. I first started the topic in the 'inspirational' boards. The topic is called 'A nice story with a happy ending'. Enjoy reading it when you can.

As for my collector's item (an old fashioned made pair---actually 2 pairs of Levi's 501 jeans), it's been a real happy booster for me! As I explained in my post, there haven't been too many nice things for me to dwell on about my past. At least, not since my dad passed away. I've had 1 pair of jeans that were given to me when I was a junior in high school and I still have them---28 years later! They are in great shape with just minor fraying. The faded color is lovely, a nice stone-washed look. I plan to start another topic in the 'off topic boards about favorite collectable items. Right now, I'd say these are my favorite!

It looks like there has been lots of posting about supplements from different members. I really don't have much experience using these long term other than the melatonin. There was a short period of time when I took a natural sleep aid that included valerian, passionflower, melatonin, and B-6. I think the passionflower gave my some allergy troubles. I have not taken these in almost a year. I still don't know if the valerian could have caused me further GABBA damage post taper.

Anyway, I just wanted to say to all the members who have posted about supplements (vertigo, ginger, sunny, rocko, mtmimi, angel) that I wish you the best as you continue to seek out healing and peace through natural supplements. I hope that wish gives you some comfort! As for my vintage jeans, they are safe and sound and I plan to keep them in good shape. It's so therapeutic to have some things from a somewhat difficult past that you can really feel good about!

Take care all,

pangelingua

Hi Pangelingua.  Good to hear from you.  I have heard that valerian might impact GABA so perhaps best not used during taper or early on afterward.  Not sure if it's a problem once one is close to a year out.  I've heard some of the other supplements you mentioned,  but have not much experience with them.  I suppose some could cause allergies.  I've heard that about chamomile, is it made from ragweed?  Anyway, good to read that you still have those old jeans to comfort you.  I have a few like that, though probably not collectors items!  I had a decent night's sleep last night.  I took the 500MG of L-Tryptophan before bed and fell asleep much easier than the previous night when I took 500MG an hour before bed.  I did awaken at one point but fell back asleep until 6AM, total of 7 hours :yippee:.  I feel pretty good this morning.  I hope to have adequate energy throughout the day.  I currently feel a mild amount of anxiety or "revved upness" ::).  I'd rate it about a 3.5.  I'm not sure it's in the cards for me to not have any anxiety in the mornings, will see how things develop in the next week. Maybe after a week of L-Tryptophan and prolonged sleep, things can settle down further. 

Have a great Wednesday!

V

Hi Sunny,

I'm going to butt in here if that's OK...For most of my life I couldn't fly without assistance from pot and/or alcohol and/or ambien. I now take l-theanine (anti-anxiety) and that settles me enough.  I've done more traveling - and a hell of a lot longer trips - in my post-benzo, et.al., life than I ever did before, and I must say, I'm doing fabulously.  If it's a long (6+ hours) flight I prefer to sleep, as I'm claustrophobic. On those flights I also take 1000 mg l-trytophan and I sleep for a couple hours.I suggest you try these; at least the l-theanine. It gives a mild drunk-like buzz.  If you take the tryp, a usual dose is 500 mg. Deep breathing of course is essential, and dive into a good book...

ginger

I'd take the same dose you take at night. But don't take it 3 hours before you fly; you'll be a zombie by the time your board. How about taking it maybe an hour before you have to board; that way most of it will be out of your system by the time you land.

Hi Ginger.  I was reading a little about L-Theanine.  It appears it has been used in Japan for ADD and anxiety and can be taken during the day as well as night.  Just curious what your experience has been with this during the day?  Some have reported that it induces a calm but with alertness, implying that dopamine and possibly serotonin might be increased as a result.  Also, I wonder if taking both L-Tryptophan and L-Theanine together would have any risks of promoting too much serotonin?

Vertigo

Hi V,

For me, l-thea makes me feel drunk. It knocks my husband out. I guess everyone is different.  WHen I take it when I fly I also take tryptophan, and that combo helps me sleep for a couple hours. ( the hum and pressure in a plane always helps me sleep)

I'm sure taking both l-thea and tryptophan at the same time is/will have long-term s/x but that combo plus my lamictal is the only thing that knocks me out.  If I only take 1 of the 3 at a time, I'm up for a couple hours before I fall asleep.

Mind you, the 3 only keep me down for an hour or two at the most. I tried waiting on takings the supps until I woke up at 1:30, but once I start tossing there's no stopping it. If I wait until 4 when I can't stand being awake another minute, they plus exhaustion may fall back asleep but then I feel dopey the next morning when I get up at 6.

It's been 3 years (with the exception of 6 nights) since I've slept more than 4 consecutively-solid 4 hours.  My pond fish have been dormant for the winter so I haven't fed them, and therefore counted them & identified  them by name in 2 months. I looked in on them yesterday. I could remember 3 names and have no idea how many should be in there.

I feel the only chance I have of sleeping is in a little tab called ambien.  I haven't taken any in 2 years. When I took 2.5 mgs then; a year since going off it, it threw me back into nearly full-blown w/d for 4 months.

I know if that happens again I'll kill myself. So I dont' know what to do.

Sorry this is such a bad post. I've been up since 1:11 (having fallen asleep at 11:45), in part due to the neighbor's dog.  Usually I sleep off and on after my first wake up, but it would stop for 15 minutes, bark for 2, and then be quiet for another 15 minutes. So I've been getting jarred every 15 minutes. It's been 5 1/2 hours and it's still barking. I keep thinking they'll wake up any minute but they don't.

I can't keep going like this.

g

Hi Ginger.  Thanks for the post.  We've had a neighbor's dog bark in the past and it can be frustrating and very inconsiderate to allow that to happen all night long.  I hope you were able to fall back asleep.  Not being able to sleep more than 4 hours a night is probably impacting your health in the long term, at least according to Dr. Teitlebaum in his book "From Fatigued to Fantastic".  I wonder if there is something that can help you get more hours of sleep.  I know you exercise and watch your nutrition.  Do you still take caffeine?  Some have reported that even a cup of coffee in the morning can impact one's sleep at night.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.  Is Lamictal an a/d?  I wonder if either decreasing or increasing the dose might help?  Have you ever tried a small dose of either remeron like Pangelinga takes, or trazodone?  I think I recall you might have tried Trazodone before.  I agree that ambien being a z drug would best be avoided, given the desire to stay "benzo free".  Perhaps a very small dose of remeron might be worth discussing with your doctor? I know you might prefer to limit the prescription meds, but if you can reset your system for six months and catch up on rest, perhaps a low dose could be tapered off after that? Just a thought, had no experience with remeron but have read several posts around forum about it helping.  Of course there are probably equal number that say it's not been helpful ;).

I also  find  that light reading before bed sometimes helps me but others say that reading, especially work material or anything heavy can have the opposite effect! It's hard to win, eh?  A whole wheat cracker with some turkey as a snack about 90 minutes to two hours before bed used to help me and helps me keep sugar cravings at night at bay :).  Well, hopefully you will find something (not too radical) that will increase your sleep, moving forward, Ginger. 

:smitten:

Vertigo

Quick update on my L-Trytophan experiment this past week.  I took 500MG last night at 10:30PM and went up to watch 20 minutes of tv before falling asleep at 11PM (of course some say watching tv is not a good idea before bed  :idiot: but it seems to not be a problem for me).  I woke up a little after 6AM, which was about 7 solid hours of sleep :thumbsup:

That being said, I have a slight headache this morning, maybe my brain and body are not used to that much sleep or perhaps I'm getting too much serotonin?  I may take a break from the L-Tryptophan in a day or two.  One other thing.  I've noticed an increase in libido and appetite in the last 24 to 48 hours.  I take that to mean that the increase in natural serotonin production may be having an impact in other ways.  I will try it again this evening and see if I can get the sleep number up to 8 hours.  Sorry Ginger, I know you and perhaps some others might be thrilled with 6 or 7 hours, but I'm still shooting for 8 hours of consecutive sleep even though it might be a pipe dream::).  Hang in there.  I think there's hope for all of us, gotta just keep trying different things and not give up. I ordered some L-Theanine and may try that by itself tomorrow night.  I think one ought to be careful about combining some of these supplements at the same time though, especially if taking other prescription meds.

V

Hi V and other buddies who are trying supplements:

So great to hear that you got 7 straight hours of sleep! :yippee: I often feel like rejoicing after a night like that!

Are your L-Tryptophan tablets able to be split or are they in capsul form with powder inside? The reason I ask is that I had some grogginess problems with them and I think it was because a 500mg dose was too much for my system. If you have powder form, you might consider opening the capsul and taking a reduced amount of the powder.

Also, I have a leftover bottle of one of the natural sleep aids I used about a year ago and I am listing the ingredients: calcium (as Calcium Citrate) 10mg; magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 13mg; valerian extract (0.8% valeric acid root) 200mg; ashwagandha extract 150mg; hops extract 150mg; lemon balm extract (5% rosmarinic acid herb); GABBA 100mg; L-Theanine 50mg; Melatonin 2mg; and something called Bioperine Complex.

There was also another sleep aid I used which had chamomile (ragweed) and it seemed to increase sinus trouble.

You mention an increase in appetite and I have had this occur while being on remeron. I did gain about 5-8 lbs at first and then I started riding my indoor excercise bike and that seemed to take off the additional weight. Also, as I've gotten older (45 yrs), I've noticed the tendency for my weight to go up more than it used to, so I think that age is playing a natural factor in that!

Again, so great to hear that you slept 7 straight hours! Lately, I've been getting pretty consistent sleep when I don't work late nights. Last night I slept nearly 9 hours-- straight 7, then 2 more a bit broken. I had a pretty hectic work week. Although this is only February, it's also Super Bowl weekend coming up, so the chicken plant has been running a ton of product, keeping me very busy indeed!

Have a great rest of the week and for those of you trying supplements, again, it is my wish that you find the peace and healing that you so need and desire. :)

Take care all!

Hi V,

Lamictal is a mood stabilizer.

I've taken remeron and traz for sleep. Either they didn't work or they caused side effects; I don't remember which.

I've taken everything, tried everything.

I need to stress that  I fall asleep HARD, often in mid-sentence. It's staying asleep that's my problem.

I read every night until I fall asleep; I don't eat after 7pm. I have a glass of milk with my PM supplements (that aid in sleep, prescribed by a nutritonist) but that's it. Anything else and I'm up all night.  I've gotten up and out of bed; I've stayed in bed. TV on but only black and white movies because they're not bright and scene changes aren't bight. TV off.  Start reading again (nothing stimulating).  I practice deep breathing and most nights have to put on sleep music and cricket sounds to mask my tinnitus and for relaxation.  I'm even seeing a hypnotherapist for sleep.

She told me last week that she doesn't think she can help me, because it's my subconscious that's keeping me from giving in to sleep.

Thanks for your support -

g

Hey G.  Looks like you've done much to research the situation.  Just a few more questions.  Have you had a formal sleep study to see if something else might be going on such as sleep apnea?  Also, do you have allergies?  My wife sometimes sleeps better with the aid of a simple breathe right strip, might be worth a try.  Also, if you have allergies, , Doxepin is supposedly an anithistamine and a/d but Dr. Teitelbaum in his book suggests a low dose of 5mg to start to help with sleep (larger doses are apparently used for depression). See study below which compares low doses of 1mg, 3mg and 6mg Doxepin for insomnia.  The main point about doxepin is that unlike ambien and benzos which target the GABA receptors, the mechanism of action (MOA) of Doxepin appears to be to block histamines or histaminergic.  See below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2082089/

Also see another study regards to low dose doxepin as alternative to ambien:

http://brainposts.blogspot.com/2011/01/low-dose-doxepin-for-insomnia-treatment.html

I have no idea about interaction with lamictal so best to check with your doctor if low dose might be worth trying.  It appears 3mg is a pretty small dose since 150 is one number I saw used for depression.

Sometimes when I take an allegra a couple hours before bed, I sleep better, maybe it's the antihistamine (although it seems to wake me up the first hour or so after I take it). As you know, trazodone/deseryl is also an antihistamine and although originally used as an antidepressant,  it became more popular as a sleep aid.  Speaking of traz, remeron or something else, is it possible that when you tried them a while back, you were possibly either in withdrawal or much worse off so that maybe now that things have improved a bit, might one or the other have a different impact on you today, maybe a small dose which might be just enough with the L-Theanine to keep you asleep for longer periods?  Maybe your doctor can advise on this.

In regards to not eating after 7PM, I've read where low blood sugar could get one up in the middle of the night, so perhaps a small snack around 8:00 or 8:30 with a little turkey/tryptophan could keep you down longer? (I'm assuming you don't go to sleep before 10PM).  I have read that milk might help some sleep but if you have any slight allergy, it might be causing some issues. Plus, some say not to have liquids before bed as that could cause your bladder to fill and awaken you if you are sensitive to a full bladder.  Do you keep your room cool?  That can help too.  Are you able to tolerate magnesium and calcium?  Mimi and others have suggested those might help with sleep as well. 

Finally, there is always the "think about sleep too much" philosophy that the more you try to get it and "worry about it", the worse it gets.  No doubt you are aware of this paradox and it sounds like you have learned to work on your breathing and mindfulness is a great exercise too. Yet all that being said, it seems there's gotta be a way to get your system to calm down enough to where you can get more than four hours sleep per night, G.  A few things you did not mention that could also help, might include a warm bath (possibly with epsom salt) to relax, maybe an hour before bed.  I don't recall if you mentioned whether you take melatonin with your other supplements, but I recently read that 1mg is more than enough, that the 3 or 5mg on many bottles is not necessary and can actually impede sleep.  Anyway, hope something turns around for you soon G.

Vertigo

Hi V and other buddies who are trying supplements:

So great to hear that you got 7 straight hours of sleep! :yippee: I often feel like rejoicing after a night like that!  Are your L-Tryptophan tablets able to be split or are they in capsul form with powder inside? The reason I ask is that I had some grogginess problems with them and I think it was because a 500mg dose was too much for my system. If you have powder form, you might consider opening the capsul and taking a reduced amount of the powder.  Also, I have a leftover bottle of one of the natural sleep aids I used about a year ago and I am listing the ingredients: calcium (as Calcium Citrate) 10mg; magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 13mg; valerian extract (0.8% valeric acid root) 200mg; ashwagandha extract 150mg; hops extract 150mg; lemon balm extract (5% rosmarinic acid herb); GABBA 100mg; L-Theanine 50mg; Melatonin 2mg; and something called Bioperine Complex.

There was also another sleep aid I used which had chamomile (ragweed) and it seemed to increase sinus trouble...  Have a great rest of the week and for those of you trying supplements, again, it is my wish that you find the peace and healing that you so need and desire. :)  Take care all!

Hey Pangelingua.  I will check to see if I can remove some of the contents of the L-Tryptophan if I feel like 500MG is too much, good idea.  I take allegra several times a week but I cut it in half as I feel I do not need the full dose usually.  Some pills can not be done which are time released like prilosec which need to be taken whole.  However, I have found I only need them every other day to keep my stomach issues in check.  Eventually, I hope to taper off those as well.  As for the pill you took with all those ingredients, it would be too much for me.  First, it has valerian, which I believe acts on GABA, plus as you mentioned, can be a problem if you have ragweed allergy.  Then are so many things in it that if it didn't agree, you wouldn't know which one was the problem.  Dr. Weil often speaks highly of ashwaganda as a supplement which some find to be stabilizing in terms of anxiety and mood.  For now though, the only ones I'm going to work with are the L-Tryptophan (possibly in a smaller dose) and/or L-Theanine.  Good to hear from you Pange, as always.

V

hi v and other buds

hey do you think u could tell me again that this will end?  i am in my 8th month and been in a grand slam for almost 2 weeks; dr/dp back; crying, anx.  sorry to say i feel so lost and hopeless at times.  did have more good days in month 7 than 6.

would just appreciate some hope i guess

wonder if teaching high school is too much for my cns but love these kids and want to stick by  them somehow; someway; one day at a time.

worried i'll be in the 2-3 year group.  fear.  need to keep that at bay

working on cognitive stuff big time and praying

rozerem - for sleeping - any thoughts?

thanks so much for being there.  really :smitten: :smitten:

Warm Milk, True or False?

I just love it when some old piece of advice proves totally absurd, false, or, in the case of drinking a glass of warm milk before bed as a sleep inducer, TRUE!

Last month New York Times writer Anahad O’Connor settled the claim about milk as a sleeping aid in a great, short article that put to bed some old assertions about milk…with a twist.

YES, warm milk can help you get to sleep. But it’s not because it contains the enzyme tryptophan, which urban legend has it will lull you to sleep (and which is often the talk at Thanksgiving when people drop like flies after a large meal heavy in tryptophan-rich turkey).

In fact, the jury is still out on exactly whether or not milk can encourage sleep. Studies of tryptophan’s impact on sleep have found only one phase of sleep – the first one when you’re falling asleep – is enhanced by tryptophan. Other aspects of sleep, such as the amount of

deep-sleep reached during the night, can be harmed by tryptophan, especially if it’s taken in supplemental form. I remind people that sleep-friendly foods, such as turkey, would require you to eat about 40 pounds of turkey to get enough of that enzyme to make you sleepy!

As the article further points out, tryptophan has to cross the blood-brain barrier in order to have any effect on sleep. And that can be difficult in the presence of other amino acids, which explains why researchers find that eating protein-rich foods, including milk, can decrease the ability of tryptophan to enter the brain. The trick is to eat foods high in carbohydrates because the insulin released will make it easier for tryptophan to nudge itself into the brain. And for this very reason I recommend combining an ample dose of carbohydrate together with a small amount of protein (which contains the amino acid tryptophan) as the ideal bedtime snack. This can also encourage your brain to produce serotonin, which is known as the “calming hormone.”

If you are not quite the “cook” in the kitchen, or simply do not have the time, I would encourage you to check out a great new product on the market called Dreamerz Foods. It’s an all-natural sleep beverage that has just the right amount of Melatonin (0.3 mg) and a substance called Lactium (this is the protein in milk that causes relaxation in infants but in a more concentrated dosage), and I have to admit it’s a great alternative to many of those “PM” medications.

But what, then, do we make of all the anecdotal evidence that says a glass of warm milk (with nothing else) can help you fall asleep? Well, my friends, here’s the real kicker: it may just be that the routine of drinking a glass of warm milk is like an old teddy bear that reminds you of home when your mom tucked you into bed at night. The psychological association with milk is stronger than what the milk’s content actually does (or doesn’t do!)

It’s all in your head…so to speak.

Pan

Please hold on!

You are over the worst hun, you really are.  It can only get better despite the occasional dips.

You have managed to carry on with a very demanding job despite your w/ds. Don't give up your job!  Don't give in to these stupid withdrawals. 

You are going to get through this .. And don't even think about protracted ... What will be will be and even protracted peeps heal.

You are just having some bad days but you are going to be fine! So HOLD ON!

V and others will be along later to reassure you too

Angel xx

hi v and other buds hey do you think u could tell me again that this will end?  i am in my 8th month and been in a grand slam for almost 2 weeks; dr/dp back; crying, anx.  sorry to say i feel so lost and hopeless at times.  did have more good days in month 7 than 6.  would just appreciate some hope i guess wonder if teaching high school is too much for my cns but love these kids and want to stick by  them somehow; someway; one day at a time. worried i'll be in the 2-3 year group.  fear.  need to keep that at bay working on cognitive stuff big time and praying rozerem - for sleeping - any thoughts?

thanks so much for being there.  really :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Pan.  I can't promise an end date but the symptoms will diminish gradually, sometimes increasing with the periodic waves but then getting even better than before, then another mini wave and so on.  Healing after the benzo is not a straight line as you know.  As Angel said, you're doing remarkably well in that you've managed to hold on to your job and this is a tribute to your strength and perseverance.  No doubt this whole experience is rough, but it will make you stronger as you overcome each hurdle.  By the way, the odds are that it will not  be 2 to 3 years.  Most feel significantly better by 12-18 months.

Hang in there and have a restful weekend :smitten:,

Vertigo

angel and v- got tears in my eyes reading your hopeful words.  i really need them right now.  i guess i don't feel like i am getting better right now; i feel worse. but i know u r right - it gets worse sometimes.  i called in for a sub today at 4am.  so shaken; so numb.  i can't believe how hard this is u guy.  i appreciate that you are proud of me for working;  each day was a miracle and in the beginning that kept me going; now not so much

if i did take a week or two off i would lie down more and for u guys - the adrenalin surges really hit when we lie down, don't they?

sometimes i think the adrenalin causes the dr/dp scary stuff - when i am this nervous my thinking gets whackadoodle.

i did have good windows in month 7...

is it really normal for someone in month 8 to be like this?

thank u so so much for being there.  i have the self esteem of an amoeba right now...xoxo

angel and v- got tears in my eyes reading your hopeful words.  i really need them right now.  i guess i don't feel like i am getting better right now; i feel worse. but i know u r right - it gets worse sometimes.  i called in for a sub today at 4am.  so shaken; so numb.  i can't believe how hard this is u guy.  i appreciate that you are proud of me for working;  each day was a miracle and in the beginning that kept me going; now not so much

if i did take a week or two off i would lie down more and for u guys - the adrenalin surges really hit when we lie down, don't they?

sometimes i think the adrenalin causes the dr/dp scary stuff - when i am this nervous my thinking gets whackadoodle.

i did have good windows in month 7...

is it really normal for someone in month 8 to be like this?

thank u so so much for being there.  i have the self esteem of an amoeba right now...xoxo

Hi Pan, I remember facing symptoms similar to yours around the same time.  I bookmarked this thread back then to remind myself that I wasn't alone.  It was a thread a buddie made about being 8 months off and still suffering.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=33318.0