Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Rough night last night.  Had a practice last night for my son's team and although I'm happy to check off the bucket list item of "coaching my son's sports team during his childhood", it's still wearing a bit on me and my sleep.  The jet lag from being on the W. Coast last week is compounding things too.  Only slept about 2-3 hours last night and I feel like I'm a bit run down.  These trips sometimes take four or five days to adjust to, particularly when I'm out of town for longer than an extended weekend. I first took valium a few years ago for an International trip and "worry" about taking a long flight and whether I'll be able to enjoy a trip like that in the future, if I'm not able to sleep on the plane or the first night or two when I get there.  I might try the Silenor tonight. It seemed to help me reset my clock when I got to the West coast last week.  I only took the one sample so I might give it another go this evening and see if it helps at all.

Vertigo

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear V.  It could be the stress of your recent trip that's affecting your sleep.

Will update you on me later on. Just edited a feeling sorry for myself thread on resurgence of anxiety but a negative attitude will get one nowhere.

Hugs to all

Angel

Sorry to hear V.  It could be the stress of your recent trip that's affecting your sleep.

Will update you on me later on. Just edited a feeling sorry for myself thread on resurgence of anxiety but a negative attitude will get one nowhere.

Hugs to all

Angel

Must be quite rough to move your mother now, Angel.  Hope you're giving yourself lots of breaks and if need be, stay longer in London and take things gradually rather than feeling you have to do everything too quickly or all at once...

Hugs,

Vertigo

Decided not to take Silenor sample last night.  1mg melatonin and slept pretty good but still feel a tad jet lagged.  I got back last Monday.  Hopefully the weekend will fare better.  Any other post benzo pepes struggling with issues while traveling or jet lag in particular?

Vertigo

Thanks V. You too xx

Not a good start to the weekend :tickedoff:. Dog woke us up at 3 and I've had some reflux the last two days, could be a sinus infection brewing from flying in a few days ago. Am congested and have not ben feeling stellar. Took a 3mg Silenor sample at 3:30AM (since I've not slept well for a few days now since my return from the W. Coast) and had the following result- Stayed up on computer til 4 or so and then went up to bed again. Felt sleepy and was asleep and dreaming very soon after :thumbsup:. I know this because I was briefly awakened by my wife and remembered lightly dreaming.  The downside is that I feel groggier than "normal" this morning, which I assume is from the pill.  I'm having a small breakfast now and plan to go back up and see if I can sleep another couple hours. How are things going with your Mum, Angel?

V

Hi V :)

Today is a Saturday work day for me. I was just checking the forum this morning before setting off.

Sorry to hear about the sleep/ acid reflux troubles. Sometimes when I've eaten something that didn't agree with me during the day, I've had troubles sleeping at night due to gurgly stomach :-\.

I did have some trouble sleeping last night also. I was dead asleep when I got woken up by a thud after just 15 minutes! It took me about 30 minutes to fall back asleep and then I woke up an hour early.

I have a long day to get through, but still the same I'm looking forward to a nice weekend and I hope you have one also!

Take care V and I'll try to blog more this evening. :thumbsup:

Hi V :) Today is a Saturday work day for me. I was just checking the forum this morning before setting off. Sorry to hear about the sleep/ acid reflux troubles. Sometimes when I've eaten something that didn't agree with me during the day, I've had troubles sleeping at night due to gurgly stomach :-\. I did have some trouble sleeping last night also. I was dead asleep when I got woken up by a thud after just 15 minutes! It took me about 30 minutes to fall back asleep and then I woke up an hour early. I have a long day to get through, but still the same I'm looking forward to a nice weekend and I hope you have one also! Take care V and I'll try to blog more this evening. :thumbsup:

Hey Pangelingua. Sorry you had a rough night as well. I wonder what the thud was? Falling back asleep in 30 minutes ain't so bad :pokey:. I suppose it's relative. This past week, I've gone downstairs after an hour or more of tossing and turning on some occasions. The Silenor sample I took at 3:30AM or so worked pretty well but I woke up kind of groggy and have felt a little groggy even now at 2PM.  Having antihistamine in it, maybe it's similar to benadryl?. I did catch another hour of sleep after breakfast though. I think 6mg might be too much. They make Silenor in 3 and 6mg. So far, I only took the 3mg sample twice, once in CA and now once here. I almost wish I had just taken it at 11PM last night and maybe would have slept through my wife's getting up twice, once for the dog barking and another time for the bathroom I think ::). Anyway, I'm hoping that it'll be a better night tonight.  I won't take another Silenor tonight. Not going anywhere this evening, plan to hang with the fam and take it easy. I really don't like the readjustment phase after being out of town. It's a bit of a bummer but nothing I've not seen before, even before benzos!

Vertigo

Hi Vertigo, I'm a big fan!  :)

You made me stop and thing about this topic, and I thought I had exhausted very possible topic about myself!  ;D

I used to travel a lot, but it would always take a toll. It didn't occur to me until just now how much the benzo use probably had to do with my long "lag" time. Traveling just seemed to be too exhausing for me, so I have not been on a plane for several years, right about the time I felt like I was constantly having more general anxiety. This must have been when tolerance withdrawal was really kicking in.

In this last year of my w/d process, I have no anxiety per see of flying, just not physically up to it yet, but excited at the idea.

I wonder if I will find it easier to snap back now?

Best of luck to you in your travels, and congrats on that coaching gig!  Good for you, your son will always have the memory of his dad being there in that way for him.

M.

Hi M.

That's a beautiful picture of Liz Taylor in your avatar.  Anyway, glad you have stopped by the post benzo thread.  Travel is tricky, especially when going across several time zones, something I've had no choice about in the last ten to fifteen years or so.  Well, I suppose I could move back to the West coast but not my first choice right now :)

Although I don't particularly like flying, I don't have any phobias or intense fears about it, as you indicated as well.  It's more the inconvenience and hassle along with having chronic sinus problems that have been more problematic, along with the jet lag and trouble adjusting to time changes.  Only one way to find out whether you'll "snap back" is to maybe try a short trip somewhere when you feel ready to do so.  In my case, having one parent with cancer and inlaws who are also not in the best health, I can't wait for timing, just have to bite the bullet and fly three to four times a year ::).  That was rough to do as my taper was ending and in that first year off. I have a feeling that in my retirement, I'll be doing a lot of driving trips as opposed to by plane!  I'd still like to be able to have the option to maybe take a few International trips one day but those long flights don't sound too enjoyable.  I suppose it's a trade off.

Best,

Vertigo

Why, that's not Liz (soon to be portrayed by Lindsay Lohen  :idiot:) Vertigo, that's me!  :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you for the kind encouragement about travel, I do look forward to it, I've promised a good friend a trip back to Minneapolis in the fall to enjoy fall colors.

I have not yet made it out of the continental US, unless you count the fact that I've gone swimming in the Atlantic and the Pacific ocean's.  ;)

Maybe someday....I've always wanted to tour areas of Russia and I do hear London calling.

Continued success in your post days!

M.

Thanks V. You too xx

Not a good start to the weekend :tickedoff:. Dog woke us up at 3 and I've had some reflux the last two days, could be a sinus infection brewing from flying in a few days ago. Am congested and have not ben feeling stellar. Took a 3mg Silenor sample at 3:30AM (since I've not slept well for a few days now since my return from the W. Coast) and had the following result- Stayed up on computer til 4 or so and then went up to bed again. Felt sleepy and was asleep and dreaming very soon after :thumbsup:. I know this because I was briefly awakened by my wife and remembered lightly dreaming.  The downside is that I feel groggier than "normal" this morning, which I assume is from the pill.  I'm having a small breakfast now and plan to go back up and see if I can sleep another couple hours. How are things going with your Mum, Angel?

V

Hi V

Perhaps you are focusing on your sleep problem too much?  I know because I was a terrible insomniac and still have moments but I honestly feel when I don't pay attention to it or think it about sleep I sleep much better.  That is how it seems to be with me anyhow.

One of my brothers and I brought our Mum down to the carehome today from Leeds in the north of England down to London.  It went well, my brother was brilliant with her and kept her "in the present" in the journey.  Good job he did because my anxiety during the past week or so has been at an all-time high so I sat in the back of the car and tried to "chill out".    I have had to take a betablocker again.  I think I must have GAD - my GP seems to think I have it although I have never suffered from anxiety in my life prior to benzos!!  If he is right then I have to live with it and learn to deal with.  I don't really have anything to be anxious about especially as Mum is now safe in the home and we had a report that she had done very well on her first day there (we are not allowed to visit her for a few days to give her time to settle in).  Deep down I am praying the anxiety is solely the result of the benzo w/ds and will go one day but only time will tell.

My husband seems to think that now that major problem is sorted I shall relax and not get my anxiety attacks again.  I hope he is right.

Update on me ... exhausted from my busy 2 days so off to bed shortly.

Have a good rest of the day amigos/amigas!

Angel

Hi Angel. Glad you've got your Mum settled in and hope it will lead to a reduction in stress and anxiety for you. Good point about trying not to over focus on sleep. It's hard for me not to since it's one of the few remaining issues. I don't go to bed ruminating about how much sleep I'll get. It's usually only once I wake up or the next day when I make a note of how it's gone.

I realized yesterday that I caught a sinus infection from this last trip and will start an antibiotic this morning. I was feeling lethargic the last few days and part of my sleep trouble the last two days was congestion and a post nasal drip which I was hoping would go away. I was lucky to not need the antibiotic the last two times I flew but it's pretty clear or "unclear congestion wise ;D" that something has not been right.. have too much to do this week to try and gut it out ::).  Am supposed to take my son Tuesday night to the NBA playoff game between Boston and Atlanta plus have a game to coach next weekend.

I happen to have a bottle of antibiotics in the house which were prescribed for my last trip "just in case". Hopefully they'll make a difference within a couple days if I start taking them this morning.  My only concern is I've not taken this type of antibiotic probably since I was a teen.  It's called Doxycycline.  Anyone have any experience with it?  I read that it can be a little rough on the gut so I'll take a probiotic with it like I do with all antibiotics I take.  I also read that one should be careful about being in the sun too much.

Vertigo

Make sure you stay well hydrated while taking the doxy, Veritgo.  Drink lots of water when taking the pill to avoid esophogeal problems and stay covered when in the sun. 

Patty  xo

Hi V :)

I was on antibiotics a couple of weeks ago. Not the one you mention, but I did get a bit of stomach upset with the one I had. Nothing too bad. I took it for 5 days. The stomach upset could have also come from the flu that I contracted. I had flu plus sinus plus shifted sleep that week. :-[

Last night I slept  pretty well. This was good because the night before I hadn't and when I worked yesterday I was dragging. Friday was a real challenge day for me. My supervisor showed up unexpectedly to do a 'visit' with me. This means he watches how I perform my duties and goes over my samples and calls that I make. He's really a nice guy and a pleasure to talk to however, it does add stress when a visit comes about. Also, the plant was running tons of product and it makes it hard to finish all my rounds especially when I'm interacting with my supervisor.

I think the tiredness I had Friday may have made for a bit of a restless night but I got through. Looking forward to a nice sunny day today for a change. We're supposed to have warmer weather today and tomorrow. A nice outing at a local park is in order! Hope you're having a great rest of the weekend. :)

Make sure you stay well hydrated while taking the doxy, Veritgo.  Drink lots of water when taking the pill to avoid esophogeal problems and stay covered when in the sun. 

Patty  xo

Hi Patty.  Unfortunately, this sinus infection started with some reflux and the post nasal drip came next so my esophagus is probably already irritated!  However, good idea to stay hydrated.  I will also start up with probiotics today and hope my gut and throat don't get too much irritation from here.  When I fly, I normally listen to my ENT and spray with Afrin an hour before landing but didn't do it this time for some reason.  Oh well, live and learn.

Vertigo

Why, that's not Liz (soon to be portrayed by Lindsay Lohen  :idiot:) Vertigo, that's me!  :laugh: :laugh:  Thank you for the kind encouragement about travel, I do look forward to it, I've promised a good friend a trip back to Minneapolis in the fall to enjoy fall colors.

I have not yet made it out of the continental US, unless you count the fact that I've gone swimming in the Atlantic and the Pacific ocean's.  ;) Maybe someday....I've always wanted to tour areas of Russia and I do hear London calling. Continued success in your post days!

M.

Hi M or should I say L :pokey::).  I hope you enjoy your trip back to Minnesota in the Fall.  I love the change of colors and have fond memories of our trips to Vermont.  As far as swimming in the ocean, I think I prefer the Atlantic to the Pacific, much warmer although there have been some shark sightings in the Carolinas :socool:.  Enjoy your visits to Russia and England but I'd start with a shorter trip first :).

Vertigo

Hi V :)  I was on antibiotics a couple of weeks ago. Not the one you mention, but I did get a bit of stomach upset with the one I had. Nothing too bad. I took it for 5 days. The stomach upset could have also come from the flu that I contracted. I had flu plus sinus plus shifted sleep that week. :-[ Last night I slept  pretty well. This was good because the night before I hadn't and when I worked yesterday I was dragging. Friday was a real challenge day for me. My supervisor showed up unexpectedly to do a 'visit' with me. This means he watches how I perform my duties and goes over my samples and calls that I make. He's really a nice guy and a pleasure to talk to however, it does add stress when a visit comes about. Also, the plant was running tons of product and it makes it hard to finish all my rounds especially when I'm interacting with my supervisor.

I think the tiredness I had Friday may have made for a bit of a restless night but I got through. Looking forward to a nice sunny day today for a change. We're supposed to have warmer weather today and tomorrow. A nice outing at a local park is in order! Hope you're having a great rest of the weekend. :)

Hi Pange.  So far the antibiotic does not seem to be impacting me negatively, but it sometimes takes a couple days if it is going to do a number on my GI system.  I've already had a yogurt smoothie and plan to pick up a probiotic at the store later.  Sounds like you passed the test with your supervisor the other day, but I can see how it might rev up some adrenalin to be observed.  I think that is similar to what happens when I coach my son's games, knowing all the other parents are watching my calls and whether we're moving the ball and winning or losing.  It's silly because they're really just focused on their own kid(s) playing but I do feel a bit like I'm on stage too, at least with the kids.  A friend of mine told me "who cares what a bunch of 11 year olds think" :laugh: but I guess I do on some level!  Oh well, perhaps it's a little left over social anxiety from before benzos, maybe it's me remembering what it was like to be eleven and wanting a role model, perhaps trying to be that role model that I didn't have when I was a kid, for some of these kids I coach...

Vertigo

Hi Angel. Glad you've got your Mum settled in and hope it will lead to a reduction in stress and anxiety for you. Good point about trying not to over focus on sleep. It's hard for me not to since it's one of the few remaining issues. I don't go to bed ruminating about how much sleep I'll get. It's usually only once I wake up or the next day when I make a note of how it's gone.

I realized yesterday that I caught a sinus infection from this last trip and will start an antibiotic this morning. I was feeling lethargic the last few days and part of my sleep trouble the last two days was congestion and a post nasal drip which I was hoping would go away. I was lucky to not need the antibiotic the last two times I flew but it's pretty clear or "unclear congestion wise ;D" that something has not been right.. have too much to do this week to try and gut it out ::).  Am supposed to take my son Tuesday night to the NBA Finals between Boston and Atlanta plus have a game to coach next weekend.

I happen to have a bottle of antibiotics in the house which were prescribed for my last trip "just in case". Hopefully they'll make a difference within a couple days if I start taking them this morning.  My only concern is I've not taken this type of antibiotic probably since I was a teen.  It's called Doxycycline.  Anyone have any experience with it?  I read that it can be a little rough on the gut so I'll take a probiotic with it like I do with all antibiotics I take.  I also read that one should be careful about being in the sun too much.

Vertigo

Hi Vertigo,

I used to have a lot of sinus problems, in fact, I had endoscopic sinus surgery about 10 years ago.  Do you do saline rinses regularly?  I have recently read an article, I believe it was in the New York Times, that they are recommending not using antibiotics anymore for sinus infections.  I am far less prone to these things now and find if I am diligent about the saline rinses at the hint of congestion that I can nip it in the bud.

pianogirl

Thanks PG.  I have used sinus rinses and avoided antibiotics the last two times I had sinus problems.  However, when I get sinus pain in my forehead and "colorful" discharge :pokey::o, sometimes I do take the antibiotic.  I've got a lot going on this week and next month plus more flying to do this summer, plus this seems to be moving to the chest now,  so I figure I'll just go ahead with the antibiotics this time to be safe, but thanks for the advice.

V

Just checking in with my post-benzo peeps! Two weeks from today I will be ONE YEAR BENZO FREE. I can't believe it, the year has flown by. I was afraid time would drag during w/d, but it's actually gone pretty fast. I still struggle with insomnia, increased pain, fatigue, some muscle spasms. Overall though I'm doing really well- any symptoms I have come and go, as is so typical of this recovery time. I did a ten day juice fast last month (fresh fruits and veggies juiced, as well as salads etc if I was needing some substance) and did really well with that. I've decided I want to stay mostly raw, and am at this point leaning toward 100% raw because for me it's actually easier to do all or nothing. I find myself going, "Oh, I'll just have this one cookie" and then the whole day ends up being shot and I eat crap the whole day. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, it is a diet (rather, lifestyle) that works incredibly well for me. When I'm 100% raw, my mood is stable, I'm happy, I have tons of energy, fatigue is gone, I sleep better, and my chronic pain is less. With all those benefits (plus shedding a few lbs- though not as many as I thought I would!), it's hard to understand why it's even difficult to make the transition. It is a HUGE transition though, so I don't beat myself up over it. I'm just grateful I've found something that works for me. I've not been good about exercising the last two weeks and I can tell a MAJOR difference in my sleep, mood, and energy levels without that daily exercise. Starting back up tomorrow!

Hope everyone is well.

Libby

Libby, Congratulations on your 1st anniversary!

You've certainly come a long way! I'm very happy for you!  Kudos to you, too,  for finding a new lifestyle & diet you can live with successfully. I couldn't go raw (I like to cook too much) but my diet is now 2/3 vegetarian and I feel better than I have in a long time.  Amazingly, hubby has followed along, and now gets sick when he has a lapse into fast food.  It's amazing what the proper diet can do for a person.

Keep up the good work!

ginger

Just checking in with my post-benzo peeps! Two weeks from today I will be ONE YEAR BENZO FREE. I can't believe it, the year has flown by. I was afraid time would drag during w/d, but it's actually gone pretty fast. I still struggle with insomnia, increased pain, fatigue, some muscle spasms. Overall though I'm doing really well- any symptoms I have come and go, as is so typical of this recovery time....Hope everyone is well. Libby

Good for you Libby and congrats on your upcoming one year anniversary off the benzo poison :yippee:. It sounds like you have a very down to earth and realistic expectation of healing at this stage and that should help you moving forward. Glad the raw diet changes have been positive for you and that you are feeling well and enjoying a healthier lifestyle.

Best,

Vertigo