Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Thanks for posting the info on adrenals and thyroid, Mimi.  I will take a look at the Great Lakes product and get back to you.  Yep, too bad about the Source Naturals L-Tryptophan situation.  I threw out my bottle yesterday.  I think you mentioned you used the "Now" brand of tyrosine.  By coincidence, I use the NOW brand of 1mg melatonin and have found it be good quality myself.  I agree that "getting older requires care".  Glad you are managing to get more done :).

Vertigo

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vertigo. I have been using melatonin from Source Naturals for quite a while, including last nite. Do you think all their product is sourced from China?

I use L tryptophan from Doctor's Best and it is from Japan. I spoke to the company as I was worried about the radiation now. She said they had a 2 yr supply from before so I feel ok with it for a while. Will check back to see where they will obtain clean product in the future.

Was your source on the Source Naturals reliable? I don't want to take anything from China. Just don't trust it. Now I'm worried about the melatonin. Do you know another source that is sublingual and safe? Most nites it really helps me....tho some nites not at all. I don't use it every nite.

Thanks for the information. That is what is great about this forum. Helping each other.

Kathi

Hi Vertigo. I have been using melatonin from Source Naturals for quite a while, including last nite. Do you think all their product is sourced from China?

I use L tryptophan from Doctor's Best and it is from Japan. I spoke to the company as I was worried about the radiation now. She said they had a 2 yr supply from before so I feel ok with it for a while. Will check back to see where they will obtain clean product in the future.  Was your source on the Source Naturals reliable? I don't want to take anything from China. Just don't trust it. Now I'm worried about the melatonin. Do you know another source that is sublingual and safe? Most nites it really helps me....tho some nites not at all. I don't use it every nite. Thanks for the information. That is what is great about this forum. Helping each other.

Kathi

Hi Maltese,

I use NOW brand of melatonin which also has some niacin in it (which for me is good because it helps raise good HDL cholesterol).  Actually I take the tablet which has some kind of delayed release if I recall,  but I think they also have sublingual kind.  I might try the NOW brand of others as I am a little concerned about Source Naturals from what was reported.

Vertigo

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd stop by and say hi. I've been working and dealing with an incredibly huge amount of home drama/personal **** so I haven't been online much, and practically on BB at all anymore.

My insomnia continues to worsen; now I'm sleeping 90 minutes then toss the next 5 hours.  I"m a walking zombie and am even passing out at my desk, which isn't good since I"m the receptionist.  Lack of sleep = mania for me, so I'm also a simmering pot of anger with mind-blowing racing thoughts.

Just when I think I can put most of this behind me, I'm reminded how damaged my poor brain still is. Stress is so bad for us!  I haven't had a drumming back or burning mouth like this in YEARS.

Here's to better days everyone! They're out there, right? I've been looking for 3 years now...they're out here, right?

g

Edit: Profanity removed

Hi everyone, Thought I'd stop by and say hi. I've been working and dealing with an incredibly huge amount of home drama/personal shit so I haven't been online much, and practically on BB at all anymore. My insomnia continues to worsen; now I'm sleeping 90 minutes then toss the next 5 hours.  I"m a walking zombie and am even passing out at my desk, which isn't good since I"m the receptionist.  Lack of sleep = mania for me, so I'm also a simmering pot of anger with mind-blowing racing thoughts.  Just when I think I can put most of this behind me, I'm reminded how damaged my poor brain still is. Stress is so bad for us!  I haven't had a drumming back or burning mouth like this in YEARS.  Here's to better days everyone! They're out there, right? I've been looking for 3 years now...they're out here, right?

g

Hey G.  Sorry to read about the insomnia and issues of late.  Stress is no doubt something to watch out for during the initial few years off the benzo.  Check out "The Emotional Life of your Brain" by Richard Davidson.  Mindfulness and meditation have very strong research support for lowering stress and both functionally and structurally changing the brain for the better :thumbsup:.

Hope you feel better soon,

Vertigo

I am almost 16 months off Valium and feeling a lot better each day....still not perfect but I can see the end is coming.  And stress from anxiety is  still around...so nervous physical symptoms like shakes, pounding racing heart, Increased BP, sweats, especially in social settings occur but I found a way to make it much better....I went to the Doctor and got propranolol (Inderal) which is a Beta Blocker.  It controls and  limits the manafestation of the  physical symptoms. ..... But not the mental symptoms.  So I still feel nervous but I feel better in control because my hearting is not coming out of my chest and no sweats or shaking.....so much better. The Downside is I feel a little tired and hungry.  I take 10 mg twice a day if needed depending on what is on my daily agenda..somedays I take none......really nice results...been on it for a month and will continue it on an as needed basis.

Have others found this drug to be helpful?

Andy

Hi Andy.  As I posted on another thread about beta blockers, I've not used them but I do know of a few on this thread who have used them, so hopefully they will reply.  Congrats on being 16 months off valium :yippee:. I made significant progress between months 15 and 18 and hope you will as well :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

Just popping over to say I'm on day 7 of eating raw and doing a juice fast (though it's obviously not really a juice fast since I'm also eating raw foods) and apart from a couple days where I had headaches and was tired (typical detox), I feel amazing. Sleep is improved, pain is consistently less, cog fog is better, mood is better, I feel lighter and have more energy. It's obviously not something I'll do long-term, but I am going to try to stay mostly raw most of the time because this last week has made such a difference in my life. I'm not taking any supplements apart from D3 and B12, have cut my pain meds by 1/3, and only take one muscle relaxant to sleep at night instead of two (and probably could do with none). I feel nourished and like I'm doing something so good for my body. I was really scared to try it, but am so glad I took the plunge. Just wanted to share my experience- here's to hoping it continues to get even better!

Libby

I am almost 16 months off Valium and feeling a lot better each day....still not perfect but I can see the end is coming.  And stress from anxiety is  still around...so nervous physical symptoms like shakes, pounding racing heart, Increased BP, sweats, especially in social settings occur but I found a way to make it much better....I went to the Doctor and got propranolol (Inderal) which is a Beta Blocker.  It controls and  limits the manafestation of the  physical symptoms. ..... But not the mental symptoms.  So I still feel nervous but I feel better in control because my hearting is not coming out of my chest and no sweats or shaking.....so much better. The Downside is I feel a little tired and hungry.  I take 10 mg twice a day if needed depending on what is on my daily agenda..somedays I take none......really nice results...been on it for a month and will continue it on an as needed basis.

Have others found this drug to be helpful?

Andy

Andy did you know that many performers take low dose beta blockers (like you are on) for performance anxiety?  It is commonly used in the entertainment industry for the symptoms you described.  I am on metoprolol for cardiac arrhythmia and have been since 05.  You may not have to be on it forever!

Libby, I am buying an Omega 8004 juicer today so I can start juicing very soon.  I am glad you found it to be so beneficial.  I cannot eat all raw as I am a protein type and have food sensitivities.  Have a great Sunday!

Libby, I am buying an Omega 8004 juicer today so I can start juicing very soon.  I am glad you found it to be so beneficial.  I cannot eat all raw as I am a protein type and have food sensitivities.  Have a great Sunday!

I like to have a smoothie a few times a week with blueberries, half banana, Greek plain yogurt for protein, some stabilized rice bran for fiber, super greens, sometimes some protein powder depending on the need and sometimes some walnuts for texture plus ice.  I'm getting thirsty just writing about it here!

Bottoms up :thumbsup:

Vertigo

I am just about to make my fruit/green smoothie right now.  I will use frozen fruit of blueberrys, a small amount of banana, some raspberries and a handful of super greens and some hemp protein powder!  I think it is very helpful to eat healthy while we are going through this. 

Yes Sky I am aware that beta blockers are used by many performers for stage fright and public speaking.

Propranolol removes the physical symptoms of anxiety so i feel in better control and less self conscience out being nervous.

My heart has taken a serious beating (no pun) since the w/d procdess....pounding out of control at time and i think I damaged it.  So went to the doctor and he said I have a heart murmur...so EKG tomorrow....sucks....once in a while my heart mis fires...so will check it out.  But the BB slows it down and that is good.

Andy

Andy, a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram)  will source the murmur, not an EKG.  Have you had one?  A holter moniter can evaluate for arrhythmia.

Andy, a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram)  will source the murmur, not an EKG.  Have you had one?  A holter moniter can evaluate for arrhythmia.

I've always heard that the ekg is limited info.  Mine did show some type of unusual wave though.  Oh well, guess I should have the echo test soon too. 

Vertigo

:thumbsup:  Yay, let me know how you like it!

Sky the doc wants to start with ekg and go from there

Andy

Sounds like a plan, Andy.

Best of luck,

Vertigo

Crappy night last night. I think I've mentioned that I'm coaching my son's soccer team this Spring. We had a very close game over the weekend. I went to bed feeling a bit of adrenalin surge and riled up last night. Tossed and turned for about 2 hours and finally got up about 12:30AM and went downstairs for an hour, then back up to bed and maybe caught about 3-4 hours. This has been a challenge to do, have to lead practice this week by myself (other coach can't make it). It's just a kid's practice with like ten kids and probably a handful of parents. Well, guess even little things can stress us out. I wasn't there for some of my son's activities during taper and that first six months off was a bit rough, so trying to make some of it up to him now.

Vertigo

Hi V

It seems like there's always a tadeoff when it comes to sports. Yes, it's good for confidence and team building skills, but oh, the stress involved! :-\

That's how I felt the day of my son's swim meet. That was the day I had the bad altercation with the parents in the parking lot. Can you imagine? You're going to see your son swim in a meet and end up getting into an altercation with another set of parents?! :idiot:

Between that and the next day (I stormed out of Wendy's with kids in hand because they couldn't make up their minds!), and I would say it was one of the most stress filled weekends I'd had in a while.

I suppose sports are a fine balancing act. If you say that your sleep has been impacted, V, I can certainly see where your coming from. On the other hand, enjoy the time you have coaching with your son's team! :thumbsup: I think the memories of doing it will be rewarding for you!

I too will be involved in something like that next month. My son's 5th grade class will be going to outdoor school in May. I have volunteered my services as a chaperon. I will be in charge of the boys in the class along with another dad. We will be traveling to a YMCA camp in Gig Harbor. Hope to have lots of fun. As for the sleep? Who knows how that will go! I wouldn't trade it for the world though...

Again, V, focus on the good memories you'll take with you and perhaps that will keep the old insomnia beast at bay!

Blog with you later. :thumbsup: