• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure wish your dad lived in Northern California.  It sure would be fun to meet up and share a cup of decaf coffee!

Hope you are having some sweet dreams tonight!

Mimi

Nice to hear from you Henry and Mimi :).  Yes, decaf or tea is my speed too, Mimi :thumbsup:.  I'm up a little earlier than I'd like (on a Sunday, 6:00AM) but without melatonin, Silenor or other aids, slept about 6 hours again.  This has been without a doubt the easiest adjustment to jet lag in a long time. I did take the one Silenor on my second night here but did not need it again.  As I posted earlier, I really do not wish to get dependent on any one medication or preferably anything for sleep.  It's tricky with travel though, when you want to be rested fairly quickly whether it be to be in good condition to visit family and friends or whether it's for sightseeing and exploring a new adventure.    I've just read a wonderful book which compares three therapies (Freudian, Jungian and Client Centered Rogerian).  While I have been mostly a fan of Cognitive and Acceptance based therapies over the last couple years,  I must say that it was interesting to explore some of the principles of Depth Psychology and some of the analytical approaches that were a foundation of modern psychotherapy.  I had been a fan of Carl Jung some years ago and find as I get older, that more spiritual approaches to life and its mysteries, appeal more to my sensibilities.  Further, it seems that many of one's physical issues (whether insomnia, anxiety or other "malady")  may have a deeper emotional and/or spiritual evolution and potential influence. Well, that's enough of that tangent!  Hope you all continue to heal and find peace this weekend and in the coming days.

:smitten:

Vertigo

Hi V

I am looking forward to spending some time this summer reading again.  At this time I am out and about and back to life as normal.  It feels wonderful.  I had to buy a new car (well used) and am planning some road trips to visit old friends I have missed over the last few years. Now that I have some new reliable wheels I can get out and about in the world.  Watch Out World! 

I have put off buying a car since I just could not tolerate going to a showroom and dealing with salesmen and making decisions etc.

But it was so easy and my husband was so much more hyper and stressed.  I knew it was another step forward in my healing. 

I walked in got exactly the car I wanted at the price I wanted...no big deal.  :yippee:

I have taken the Collagen Hydrolysate for the past month now and about 3/4 of the entire can is gone.  It has made a huge difference in my sleep and CNS.  I am much calmer and sleep like a log.  Even the morning yuckiness and tinnitus is almost completely gone.  Could be the 14 months of being free but seems to have arrived with my taking the Collagen.  I did not take it for a few days and still felt great so healing seems to be sticking around.  I do notice that when I first start taking it I have some vivid dreams which pass in a week or so.  Last night I was hanging out with Ryan Reynolds and friends and we were off to have dinner with Ryan Gosling?  :D

I did get my blood work back and Vit D was low (thats a first) so started some D3.  All else looked pretty good. I have an appt with Holistic Dr on June 21 so will see what recommendations he has.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!  Waiting for my breakfast in bed...my sunday treat!

Love and happiness to all!

Mimi

Hi V and buddies

Just popping in to wish you an enjoyable trip V and I hope your dad is okay.

Will update on myself in due course. Am in the throes of things here with my Mum's move but am coping .... just about! 

Angel

Thanks Wish 

I'm not coping very well actually - am a bag of nerves - am doing something thousands do, moving a parent into a carehome this weekend but am trying to keep strong ....

Will assess myself once this is all over and settled but it is very very hard

Thanks again for your good wishes and I hope you are improving.

Angel :smitten:

Good morning all.  Thanks for the posts.  Have got one more day left of this visit.  Getting some repair estimates today for my return this summer.  It's never ending.  Am dealing with a water leak that was supposedly repaired last year that was not fixed properly so will have to address it this summer. It's not a big deal since the rainy season is over but it is something to address before next winter.  Have a few contractors coming today for estimates before I leave tomorrow.  Also a few minor cosmetic issues to deal with as well.  My father wants to bring his home up to a rentable condition in case he might want to downsize in the next couple years.  My brother is usually resistant to these repairs because he fears that my father spending money on fixing his home means less $$ to give to my brother! ::).  It's been a source of tension and conflict for many years.  Oh well, can't help it if my father wants to maintain his home and asks me to help him do it.  Can't worry about an angry selfish sibling.  I went to the Building and Safety Dept for the City last week and have a good sense of what the options for repair might be.

Slept from 11-4 which was a little less than I was hoping for at this point but it's not terrible.  I may try one more Silenor when I return home if reverse jet lag becomes a problem.  I've got a game to coach this week so the combination of jet lag and the adrenalin surge when I coach, might be interesting.  I hope I can keep things at bay.  Hope things go well with you Mum's move this weekend, Angel.  No doubt it's rough and will be an adjustment for her and the family.  At least she gets to keep her dog, right? 

Cheers,

Vertigo

Slept from 11-4 which was a little less than I was hoping for at this point but it's not terrible.

10 - 2:30  here...it does get better, right?  I seem to tolerate it pretty well but a long night's sleep would be nice.  Really nice! 

Challis :smitten:

Hi Challis.  I was reporting on my sleep while traveling with jet lag this past five days.  At home, I seem to be able to get 6 hours fairly consistently. Yes, it can and does get better :thumbsup:.  Five hours is not typical for me, although it happens occasionally still.  A few weeks ago, I could only manage about four hours on two occasions.  These were pre benzo issues for me as well, so it's not like this is a new phenomenon for me after benzos!  I first took valium back in 2008 because I was concerned about jet lag on an International trip I had planned.  Right now, I'm just on a domestic trip but might have some International travel next year so it's an ongoing concern.  Some of the issues back in 2008 regarding longer flights and time zone changes concern me for future travel.  I noticed you recently finished your taper a few weeks ago.  Congrats :yippee: :yippee:.  I was pretty wiped out after my taper and slept pretty well for the most part.  The rebound anxiety and insomnnia seemed to return later but it wasn't terrible or anything like during my taper.

Vertigo

Vertigo, during my taper I averaged an hour or two a night!  Four or five is a blessing now and I can appreciate it.

Challis  :)

Vertigo, during my taper I averaged an hour or two a night!  Four or five is a blessing now and I can appreciate it.

Hi Challis,

No doubt that would be very tough to deal with only 2 hours a night!  Glad you are back to four or five and hopefully will eventually push it back to six.  The issue I found in the first year off and  now at 2 years off is that when stress gets higher than usual or there is some change like during travel, how the body adapts to it and how sleep might be impacted.  Again, I had jet lag issues long before I ever took valium and it was one of the main reasons I ever took valium for a three week trip abroad back in 2008. I have not done much International travel since I've been off valium but domestic travel has been a challenge at times, since I do need to see my father and wife's family several times a year.  I tried a Silenor sample a few days ago to see if it might be something I could take once in a while and maybe to have as a back up for certain situations.  I'm not looking for a long term pill to go back on a regular basis (NO WAY!!!).  That would be one of the last things I'd want to do right now or ever :D:).

Vertigo

I'm not looking for a long term pill to go back on a regular basis (NO WAY!!!).  That would be one of the last things I'd want to do right now or ever :D:).

Vertigo,

Do I ever hear you on that one!!

Challis

Just wanted to add that an old benzo buddy (actually a post benzo buddy for 2 years) of mine, Rumi, recently posted on my "50 and over" thread that his doctor informed him that the Kirkman brand of melatonin (1mg) is one of the "better" brands. I can't verify through personal experience as of now, but since I do take occasional melatonin, might check it out.  I've had reasonable success with the "NOW" brand.

Happy ZZZZzzzzzs :sleepy:,

Vertigo

Hi Guys,

Just a very quick question...I'm 9 months out and still get hit occasionally w/ nasty nausea...dry heaving/shaky but never vomit.  Does this really go away?  I'm just a mess tonight.  Pacing the house.  Stopping at sinks to dry heave.  Crying uncontrollably...but I'm not really "sick".  It's this horrible unrelenting nausea that I had everyday from months 4-6.  This past month I had it a total of 7 times...so a lot less than months ago...but when it comes it's so scary and SO hard to deal with.  It makes me panicky.  Since I know many of you are further along than I am, did any of you have nausea this far out (9 months) and saw great improvement eventually...and when?  Again, I have had improvement...but it's still tough some days.  I am days away from my period so that could be playing a role here. 

Hugs to all...thank you to each of you for your support you give me and each other. 

Love,

Schatje

Hi Guys,Just a very quick question...I'm 9 months out and still get hit occasionally w/ nasty nausea...dry heaving/shaky but never vomit.  Does this really go away?  I'm just a mess tonight.  Pacing the house.  Stopping at sinks to dry heave.  Crying uncontrollably...but I'm not really "sick".  It's this horrible unrelenting nausea that I had everyday from months 4-6.  This past month I had it a total of 7 times...so a lot less than months ago...but when it comes it's so scary and SO hard to deal with.  It makes me panicky.  Since I know many of you are further along than I am, did any of you have nausea this far out (9 months) and saw great improvement eventually...and when?  Again, I have had improvement...but it's still tough some days.  I am days away from my period so that could be playing a role here.  Hugs to all...thank you to each of you for your support you give me and each other. 

Love,

Schatje

Hi Schatje. I have a relative who has been quite nauseous for the last few weeks and she threw up several times.  She recently went to the GI doctor who thought it was reflux.  I believe he gave her some new medication for it but I don't know the name.  I can try to find out. Have you been to a GI doc about this?  I personally had reflux for which I took either zantac or prilosec intermittently, but I was not nauseous.  The only time I was close to  nauseous was when I first got vertigo after my c/t back in 2008 and even then, it was less nausea and more about the room spinning.  Hope you get to the bottom of it.  Meanwhile, 9 months out is a good dent but many including myself, still had some symptoms at that point.  I had a big wave and setback right at 9 months, but it passed in time.  Perhaps others have had some more experience with nausea than I did.  Hopefully they will post back something here.

Vertigo

Hi Schatje,

From other women I know dealing with w/d and post benzo issues I am sure what you are feeling is from your hormone shift-in particular progesterone levels dropping.  If I were you I would chart your cycle along with symptoms each month so when you get symptomatic you can confirm that it is "hormonal" based and will pass.  It can be scary and if you see a certain rhythum it may bring you some peace of mind that it is your body still healing-in particular that old HPA Axis dysfunction that can effect our entire endocrine system.

Sorry you are feeling bad.  Hopefully in a day or so once your hormones shift you will get some relief.

All my best

Mimi

Back from my trip.  Did not take any melatonin or anything yesterday.  Managed to sleep about five or six hours, but not solid and the sleep was interrupted by a few wake ups (bathroom, wife moving about or snoring ::)...).  We'll see how the next few days unfold.  The reverse jet lag can take some adjusting sometimes too!  For those post benzo pepes who have not flown or travelled much since your benzo freedom, there can be a few challenges involved, so be prepared.  Have any other post benzo pepes had some issues travelling?

Vertigo

Hi V and buddies

Just popping in to wish you an enjoyable trip V and I hope your dad is okay.

Will update on myself in due course. Am in the throes of things here with my Mum's move but am coping .... just about! 

Angel

Thanks Angel.  My dad is doing remarkably well at present, thanks for asking. We had a good visit although only a week.  Hope things go well with your mother's move.  Glad to hear that you are coping as best you can.

Vertigo

Hi Challis.  Have you travelled at all during your taper?  Jet lag can be rough.  It's unfortunately a major reason why I ever tried that first valium back in 2008.

Vertigo

Hi V :)

So glad to hear that your home safe and sound.

No jet lag issues to report from me. This is just because I haven't tried any really long distance travel in some time. My last major trip was when my dad passed away.

Since then, it's mostly been local or interstate travel. We might plan a trip to Fremont in the summer but since there's no time difference, that won't be an issue.

Again, so glad to hear your back. Did you take in any interesting sites before leaving?

Hi V :)

So glad to hear that your home safe and sound.

No jet lag issues to report from me. This is just because I haven't tried any really long distance travel in some time. My last major trip was when my dad passed away.

Since then, it's mostly been local or interstate travel. We might plan a trip to Fremont in the summer but since there's no time difference, that won't be an issue.

Again, so glad to hear your back. Did you take in any interesting sites before leaving?

Hey Pange.  Sounds like you might be overdue for an out of state trip this summer.  I think you mentioned you might travel to the San Francisco Bay Area in a previous post.  Yes, no time change from WA to CA :pokey:, but it's a fun place to visit.  I didn't get too many sights in as my visit was mostly to spend some time with my father last week, but I managed to drive out to Malibu one day for a hike with a friend.  Also went to a musical performance downtown, but the rest was visiting friends and family who live locally, along with getting some estimates for a repair at his house.  In the last two years, I think I've had to fly about 8 times, involving a change in time zone ::).  I'm up at the moment (4:00AM) with some reverse jet lag :tickedoff:.  Will try to catch some sleep in a few minutes.

Vertigo

[9a...]

Hi Guys,

Just a very quick question...I'm 9 months out and still get hit occasionally w/ nasty nausea...dry heaving/shaky but never vomit.  Does this really go away?  I'm just a mess tonight.  Pacing the house.  Stopping at sinks to dry heave.  Crying uncontrollably...but I'm not really "sick".  It's this horrible unrelenting nausea that I had everyday from months 4-6.  This past month I had it a total of 7 times...so a lot less than months ago...but when it comes it's so scary and SO hard to deal with.  It makes me panicky.  Since I know many of you are further along than I am, did any of you have nausea this far out (9 months) and saw great improvement eventually...and when?  Again, I have had improvement...but it's still tough some days.  I am days away from my period so that could be playing a role here. 

Hugs to all...thank you to each of you for your support you give me and each other. 

Love,

Schatje

Schatje, if a doctor has ruled out other GI problems, you should try ginger root or ginger root tablets. I find that ginger root tablets help my nausea very, very well.  Ginger tea is also very good.  Hope that helps!