The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

I m still tapering, since yesterday night had vertigo like never before..  had to sleep sitting up, was not able to lay on my side bc the room was spinning really fast and nauseous!!, 2 nights ago was still able to sleep on my right side yesterday it intensified ... it was scary and was  dry heaving  felt like passing out  somewhat ... and the severe nausea.. I made a small reduction last week  :'( as it is Im off balance and dizzy .... help,  it sounds like bppv, but I think its all wd... one step forward 2 steps back

Bonty 

I'm sorry you're going through this but you're not alone. Even if it is WD you'll still want to get relief. Read up in great detail on the Dix Hallpike test to see which ear is affected, then do the Epley Manuever. Read in great detail and watch several You Tube videos before attempting this. It helps stop the room from spinning, but there maybe some lingering dizzyness, but the room will stop spinning and you can start to heal. You will still need to take it easy afterwards and may still feel woozy & queasy, and some folks are 100% relieved right away. Read in great detail before doing it. Watch several You Tube videos. It is very uncomfortable because you have to bring on the dizzyness to treat it with the manuever. Have someone assist you, or better yet go to a physical therapist trained in Vestibular Rehab, or a doctor who can do the Manuever with you.

I would agree that getting some professional medical help with BPPV is a good idea. It sounds like that's what you might be dealing with. Have you contacted your doctor? I do think people should get things checked out, because, as I mentioned above, there are many things that can cause dizziness.

yes thank you ... scared of the maneuver ... will get checked , nightmare

Please do get it checked out. BPPV has a very high rate of success with the treatment, according to all of the things I've read. I've never had those symptoms at all, but it does sound pretty intense. Take good care!

yes its confirmed I have bppv... He did the head maneuvers it wasn't to bad  expect for the nausea.. Hope I don't have to do it anymore. It was frighting to get this in the night... so many weird things , I wonder if its connected to wd as  I'm usually off balance and dizzy.

Anyone here have vertigo before benzos?

Tidefan,

I did NOT have dizziness before benzos. My BPPV attack, boaty feeling, tinnitus and vertigo all started about 5 years into Ativan. I know the science of crystals otoliths & all with BPPV, but I believe benzos caused it all. I believe benzos mess with the vestibular mechanisms.

did the exercises help? someone just said , it won't resolve until off k? wth

Tidefan,

I did NOT have dizziness before benzos. My BPPV attack, boaty feeling, tinnitus and vertigo all started about 5 years into Ativan. I know the science of crystals otoliths & all with BPPV, but I believe benzos caused it all. I believe benzos mess with the vestibular mechanisms.

For me, the Epley Manuever helped stopped the BPPV attack itself. I had the nystagmus, all of it. When I had the attack I was up all night, and when I laid down the room would spin again. I put up with it for one whole night. The second night I couldn't take it anymore, and I was not getting in to see the Physical Therapist for a day or so, so my husband and I watched the videos again and again and we did the Epley. After 2 or 3 tries, it made the room spins stop. I still was nauseated and woozy though. I did see a physical therapist a few days after that, who checked me with the Dix Halpike and it was negative. So I guess we did a successful Epley. Some people use Dr Fosters somersault. There is a lot of info on this. But, a really great physical therapist, or doctor who is familiar with it, is "worth their weight in gold". The Epley Manuever stopped my attack (room spinning). But, the boaty feeling with the lingering dizzyness I had did not stop until I was 9 months off of Ativan. If you have a BPPV attack it is true, it is scary, but hold still the room will stop spinning. You won't spin "out of control" more than a few minutes. Hold still. I had that fear that the room would never stop spinning because I did not know better. I didn't learn until I signed up for Joey Remenyi's Rock Steady that once you hold still, the room stops spinning. Because of this fear, which I had for months, I limited my movement, and I never properly compensated. Therefore my dizzyness lingered, not the room spinning, the DIZZYNESS lingered. VRT (vestibular rehab) videos did help some with that.  I know someone said on here: "I had BPPV, it's a different thing than WD." - or something like that. But, many many MANY people on here were taking benzos, or ADs or ZDrugs BEFORE THEY HAD THEIR FIRST BRUSH WITH BPPV. Yes, it's a "crystal otolith" issue, I get that. But, what came first? The BPPV ? Or taking the Benzo? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Our vestibular systems are more prone to these issues because of Benzos. I truly believe that.

I'm not sure about the relationship between the use of benzos and getting a case of BPPV, but personally, I've never had BPPV, and I"ve been dealing with disequilibrium for a very long time. I never get rotational dizziness, which what is "vertigo" refers to. I've had many bouts of pre-syncope, though, which is what happens right before you faint, and that again is different from my floaty-boaty disequilibrium and vertigo. That pre-syncope and syncope (fainting) has to do with low blood pressure, so that's a separate issue for me.

Sometimes the word use is confusing when it comes to dizziness, so it's probably best to describe what you feel when talking about your symptoms. Most BBs seem to experience the "floaty-boaty" sensation of dizziness, but some people use the word "vertigo" for that. Obviously, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is a different thing, and it's treated with the Epley Maneuver and various exercises.

Benzos and all psychiatric medications can affect balance. They affect neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the brain), and the vestibular system involves at least eight different neurotransmitters, including GABA, glutamate, acetylcholine and a number of others. I've posted links on this a number of times over the last few months.

Here are a couple:

https://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/anatomy/physiology/neurotransmitters.htm 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27638061/ 

Tidefan,

For me, the Epley Manuever helped stopped the BPPV attack itself. I had the nystagmus, all of it. When I had the attack I was up all night, and when I laid down the room would spin again. I put up with it for one whole night. The second night I couldn't take it anymore, and I was not getting in to see the Physical Therapist for a day or so, so my husband and I watched the videos again and again and we did the Epley. After 2 or 3 tries, it made the room spins stop. I still was nauseated and woozy though. I did see a physical therapist a few days after that, who checked me with the Dix Halpike and it was negative. So I guess we did a successful Epley. Some people use Dr Fosters somersault. There is a lot of info on this. But, a really great physical therapist, or doctor who is familiar with it, is "worth their weight in gold". The Epley Manuever stopped my attack (room spinning). But, the boaty feeling with the lingering dizzyness I had did not stop until I was 9 months off of Ativan. If you have a BPPV attack it is true, it is scary, but hold still the room will stop spinning. You won't spin "out of control" more than a few minutes. Hold still. I had that fear that the room would never stop spinning because I did not know better. I didn't learn until I signed up for Joey Remenyi's Rock Steady that once you hold still, the room stops spinning. Because of this fear, which I had for months, I limited my movement, and I never properly compensated. Therefore my dizzyness lingered, not the room spinning, the DIZZYNESS lingered. VRT (vestibular rehab) videos did help some with that.  I know someone said on here: "I had BPPV, it's a different thing than WD." - or something like that. But, many many MANY people on here were taking benzos, or ADs or ZDrugs BEFORE THEY HAD THEIR FIRST BRUSH WITH BPPV. Yes, it's a "crystal otolith" issue, I get that. But, what came first? The BPPV ? Or taking the Benzo? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Our vestibular systems are more prone to these issues because of Benzos. I truly believe that.

Yes the Epley maneuver  Helped yesterday! I still have lingering dizziness... the room is not spinning when I layed down  but was afraid so was trying to be careful... thank god ! I'm not sure if to return to the dr. and do another session.... the nausea lingered for hours  very awful ... but happy it helpe... I still have balance issues and low BP...

Tidefan,

Yes the Epley maneuver  Helped yesterday! I still have lingering dizziness... the room is not spinning when I layed down  but was afraid so was trying to be careful... thank god ! I'm not sure if to return to the dr. and do another session.... the nausea lingered for hours  very awful ... but happy it helpe... I still have balance issues and low BP...

Bonty, what did the doctor say about follow-up? It's probably a good idea to contact him/her and get proper instructions about next steps. I'm really glad you're doing better with regards to the BPPV, though! Great to hear that!

Tidefan,

Bonty, what did the doctor say about follow-up? It's probably a good idea to contact him/her and get proper instructions about next steps. I'm really glad you're doing better with regards to the BPPV, though! Great to hear that!

he said its takes a few more days to stable ... if not I should go back

Evening,

So just back from the doctors, and she's prescribed me acetyl leucine for my dizziness. A quick Google search shows it as a modified amino acid.

Someone said this thread would be the best place to ask

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it? Really don't want to take anything that is going to make me worse, and this is the same doctor that got me into this mess so not sure at all

Thanks

Evening,

So just back from the doctors, and she's prescribed me acetyl leucine for my dizziness. A quick Google search shows it as a modified amino acid.

Someone said this thread would be the best place to ask

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of it? Really don't want to take anything that is going to make me worse, and this is the same doctor that got me into this mess so not sure at all

Thanks

Hi Having a mare,

I don't have any personal experience with that medication, and I can't actually remember anyone else mentioning it before, but I'd be curious to hear more about it. Have you contacted your pharmacist to ask any questions about things like side effects, long-term effects, withdrawal, etc. -- or did your doctor talk to you about those things? Did she name the condition you have? I see that it has been studied for use with cerebellar ataxia. Did the doctor say that's what you have, or did she say she has given it to other patients and they had good results?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but I'm interested to hear what you've been told.

Thanks!

To be honest she didn't really say much hence my hesitation in taking it.

After a quick physical examination concluded I had vertigo caused by a vestibula imbalance, and the normal cause of action would to prescribe Acetytlleucine. I originally point blank said no, but she reassured me that it wasn't a psychoactive.

Unfortunately I'm English currently living in France, so things can get lost in translation, which doesn't help.

I found a few trials of it have been carried out. As you mentioned its been used for Ataxia, but she never actually said that's what I have. Not much faith in her, and will be returning to the UK once flights resume. It's basically an amino acid from what I can find, so withdrawal shouldn't be an issue, and it's only 10 day script. But then I'm not a doctor

"Since 1957, acetyl-dl-leucine (Tanganil; Pierre Fabre, Castres, France), an acetylated derivative of a natural amino acid, has been widely used—mainly in France—for the symptomatic treatment of acute vertigo and dizziness and to improve central vestibular compensation [8]. Clinical experience has shown that it is a well-tolerated and safe drug without serious adverse effects [9–11]"

Taken from:

Effects of acetyl-dl-leucine in patients with cerebellar ataxia: a case series

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3824630/

And according to the Mayo Clinic:

"Toxic reaction. Ataxia is a potential side effect of certain medications, especially barbiturates, such as phenobarbital; sedatives, such as benzodiazepines; antiepileptic drugs, such as phenytoin"

Information seems to be thin on the ground though, especially side effects, which I can only find as "very rare" skin rashes

I will continue to research it, and let you know if I decide to try it, and the outcome

To be honest she didn't really say much hence my hesitation in taking it.

After a quick physical examination concluded I had vertigo caused by a vestibula imbalance, and the normal cause of action would to prescribe Acetytlleucine. I originally point blank said no, but she reassured me that it wasn't a psychoactive.

Unfortunately I'm English currently living in France, so things can get lost in translation, which doesn't help.

I found a few trials of it have been carried out. As you mentioned its been used for Ataxia, but she never actually said that's what I have. Not much faith in her, and will be returning to the UK once flights resume. It's basically an amino acid from what I can find, so withdrawal shouldn't be an issue, and it's only 10 day script. But then I'm not a doctor

"Since 1957, acetyl-dl-leucine (Tanganil; Pierre Fabre, Castres, France), an acetylated derivative of a natural amino acid, has been widely used—mainly in France—for the symptomatic treatment of acute vertigo and dizziness and to improve central vestibular compensation [8]. Clinical experience has shown that it is a well-tolerated and safe drug without serious adverse effects [9–11]"

Taken from:

Effects of acetyl-dl-leucine in patients with cerebellar ataxia: a case series

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3824630/

And according to the Mayo Clinic:

"Toxic reaction. Ataxia is a potential side effect of certain medications, especially barbiturates, such as phenobarbital; sedatives, such as benzodiazepines; antiepileptic drugs, such as phenytoin"

Information seems to be thin on the ground though, especially side effects, which I can only find as "very rare" skin rashes

I will continue to research it, and let you know if I decide to try it, and the outcome

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed info. I think that if I were in your position, I would likely fill the prescription and give it a try. If the risks are low, and there's a chance it could help, that would be a very positive thing. If it's used often in France but not so much elsewhere, it may be that French doctors are better versed in its use. I'm in Canada, and I don't remember hearing about this medication as an option.

If that medication can "improve vestibular compensation", then it sounds like it could actually help your body do what it needs to do. Benzos are known as "vestibular suppressants" in the medical literature, and they interfere with "vestibular compensation". So, countering that sounds like a positive thing to me.

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide to do and how it goes.

Thank you all for this support group. Most valuable info I've ever found.

Glad to hear it's helpful, MrX!

I'm in a constant state of movement. 18 months off and terrible vestibular issues. Feels like I'm rocking back and forth. Also have tinnitus. Vrt doesn't help. My eyes get blurry vision with all this too. Anyone else?

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

I have a short abstract to share. I still check PubMed to see the new studies on vestibular issues, and I post them when I think they might be of interest to people here. This abstract is called "Stress and the Vestibular System ".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32450997/?from_term=vestibular&from_sort=date&from_page=11&from_pos=8 

Abstract

In this chapter we review the existing literature regarding the interactions between stress and the mechanisms that maintain balance. Evidence suggests that the interplay between neuro-endocrine and psychological factors may have a significant role in balance function. For example, in healthy individuals vestibular stimulation has been shown to trigger the stress response as indicated by increased blood cortisol levels, whereas in patients with vestibular pathology factors such as resilience and anxiety may be the key focus of interactions with stress. Critically, factors such as anxiety are known to influence clinical outcomes, despite our mechanistic understanding of these processes remaining in their infancy.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to check in and share a study I came across recently. It's a case study that reports on a man who had Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDS), which is a condition whose symptoms are very similar to those experienced by many dizzy BBs. MdDS is sometimes caused by travel (e.g. boat, plane, car), whereby people feel as if they're still moving, even if they've gotten off the boat or plane, or gotten out of the car. As well, there's another form of it whose origins are unclear but whose symptoms are the same. I've shared literature on this topic here before.

Anyway, this case study is called "Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation as Treatment for Mal De Debarquement Syndrome: Case Report and Literature Review".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32496300/

Abstract

This manuscript presents the case of an adult, male patient with mal de debarquement syndrome (MdDS); results from his experimental treatment with repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) are also provided. Additionally, we included a review of literature related to the neurophysiology of MdDS and its treatment with rTMS. A 41-year-old man had been experiencing symptoms of MdDS, which initially emerged following a car ride, for 11 to 12 years. Pharmacologic approaches had failed to provide symptom relief; thus, we investigated an intervention using low-frequency (1 Hz) rTMS unilaterally for 2 consecutive weeks. The outcome measures included a standardized, computerized dynamic posturography test to quantify the patient's balance and identify abnormalities in his use of the sensory systems contributing to postural control, as well as the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) to measure his anxiety and depression. An rTMS treatment log was created to document any adverse events. Following rTMS, the patient's balance scores improved significantly; these improvements were mostly related to the patient's increased reliance on the visual and vestibular systems. Our patient's HADS Anxiety and Depression subscores also showed improvement post-rTMS. The presented case study provides preliminary evidence that rTMS may be a noninvasive treatment option for improving balance, specifically in individuals with MdDS. This evidence can be used to further therapeutic research on, and provide strategies for treating, MdDS.

And there's also this study called "Epidemiology of Balance Disorders in Primary Care". It mentions that one of the major causes of balance disorders that are seen by primary care physicians is "medication side effects". In the conclusions, it states "It is not necessary to prescribe vestibular suppressants in most patients." Benzodiazepines are known as "vestibular suppressants" in the medical literature, and they are often prescribed for balance problems. But clearly, they can also CAUSE balance problems. One would hope that primary care physicians are aware of this fact.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32522341/

Abstract

Background and objective: In our country, there are no series of patients that have described the incidence of the different diseases which cause balance disorders (BD) in primary care. The objective of this study is to calculate the incidence of each disease to propose specific training measures.

Materials and method: Prospective cross-sectional study. Patient data of five primary care physicians in five different primary care centres in our hospital area were collected. All patients who attended consultations for any type of vertigo, imbalance or dizziness over one year as the main reason for consultation were recruited. Using a diagnostic-therapeutic algorithm, patients were diagnosed and treated in primary care or referred for study in hospital care.

Results: The population studied was 7,896 people. An annual incidence of BD of 2.2% was detected. Of the cases, 56.1% could be diagnosed and treated in primary care. Of the patients, 53.8% were diagnosed with some type of positional vertigo; the next three most frequent diagnoses were vestibular migraine, central nervous system ischaemia and medication side effects. These four groups accounted for 87.9% of the population.

Conclusions: The incidence of BD in primary care requires an approach that includes training in the diagnosis and treatment of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, headache, cardiovascular risk factors and pharmacology. It is not necessary to prescribe vestibular suppressants in most patients.

And this one is related to the last one with regards to the role that medications can play in causing dizziness. It's called "Clinical Profiles of Elderly Patients Presenting With Persistent Dizziness". I'll highlight the pertinent line in the study.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32532526/ 

Abstract

Background: Dizziness among elderly patients is primarily treated in emergency and primary care centers. However, the causes and comorbidities responsible for dizziness in the elderly may differ in tertiary health care centers.

Objective: To determine the subtypes of persistent dizziness and to evaluate the number of contributory causes of dizziness among elderly patients.

Methods and materials: This observational cross-sectional study comprised of 130 patients aged >60 years. A detailed history of existing comorbidities was obtained. A standardized comprehensive evaluation of all patients was done using an International Delphi procedure. Data from each patient was independently reviewed for major and contributory causes of dizziness. Chi square test was used to find the association between dizziness and various contributing factors.

Results: Presyncope was the most frequent dizziness subtype (71.5%). Majority of patients showed one dizziness subtype (54.6%) and three contributory causes of dizziness (40.6%). An adverse effect of drug was the most common contributory cause for dizziness (20%). The most frequent underlying cause of dizziness was noted to be cardiovascular disease (40%), followed by peripheral vestibular disease (22.3%) and neurological disease (19%). Sixty six percent of the patients were identified with more than one contributing cause for dizziness.

Conclusion: Primary care physicians need to anticipate that many elderly dizzy patients can have more than one cause of dizziness. A systematic and planned approach can help the clinician to effectively treat dizziness in the elderly.

Hi Lapis2,

Thanks for the latest info. on floater/boater legs and keeping this important group going!

All the best

Hi Lapis2,

Thanks for the latest info. on floater/boater legs and keeping this important group going!

All the best

Hey, you're welcome, Spartan! I hope you're doing okay.  :)

Thanks for asking Lapis2. 

I'm still pushing myself to walk a couple miles everyday, however I'm more unstable then ever.  Feel like I'm bouncing off the walls at times. 

Hope you are doing well.

All the best

Would you consider using a walking stick or cane, maybe? It's great that you're staying active, because that will definitely help. It's good for your brain as well as your body. Keep it up!

All the best to you too, Spartan!

• 1 month later...

Hi I was wondering if there is a neurological test that can show, are dizziness and balance issues among other sxs?

I would appreciate any  advice as I need  any proof....

also anyone  feel when pulling your head back , you can fall  like it takes you down?

Hi I was wondering if there is a neurological test that can show, are dizziness and balance issues among other sxs?

I would appreciate any  advice as I need  any proof....

also anyone  feel when pulling your head back , you can fall  like it takes you down?

Hi bonty,

There are definitely tests for dizziness, and they're usually administered by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) doctor, but other types of specialists also do tests to determine the cause of dizziness. Have you seen any specialists at all? Dizziness can be caused by many things, so you may have to see a number of different doctors to get different types of tests (e.g. vestibular, neurological, CAT, MRI, etc.).

I didn't understand that last question you wrote, so if you can clarify it a bit, I'll definitely try to respond. My symptoms are boat-like dizziness with a push-pull sensation. I have some degree of it everyday, although some days are worse than others.

I have the same dizziness  I'm also very tired, insomnia got really bad  bc of stressful situation...

I meant  is that I look up and feel like my head is pulling me back and feel I get out of balance....

No I have not seen a specialist, I have had  this sxs before for an other wd. But now there are more pronounced. I with start with the ENT... what would be the best dr. in BWD, I think its vestibular

thxs for your reply :smitten: