The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

That's what i was taken klonopin last year because it helped me walk without holding on to anything or any vertigo for months. I just didn't know what they were. I started back on Ativan cuz i stopped klonopin cold turkey n that's when all hell broke loose. My doctor says he'll put me on them once i taper from Ativan but I'm scared now after the withdrawal hell I've been on since November. I just never knew what they were n stopped n got switched. N he wasn't benzo smart either even though it was 2 doctors i worked with.

The problem is that ALL benzos can cause dizziness and disequilibrium. It's in all of the medical literature. So, the fact that this woman was helped by the clonazepam doesn't make a safe medication for all people to take when dizzy. There's no indication in the case study whether she continued to take the clonazepam or whether she just took it for a few days. It's meant for short-term use only -- even if it's used to help someone with dizziness. So, as a reader, I find this study frustrating.

Anyway, Letty, it's something to keep in mind when you're thinking about meds.

I'm a bit a confused, though...Are you planning to taper off Ativan and then to start taking Klonopin (aka clonazepam)? For me, clonazepam was the thing that made things very bad. I had to switch to diazepam in order to taper off. I just couldn't do it from clonazepam, but of course, everyone is different.

I don't wanna be on clonazepam either.  That's what brought me here to this horrible nightmare.  But like I said I didn't know what it was when I was taking it until months later when I stopped. It's sad because I found out in February that it was withdrawal from stopping it last October.  Ativan doesn't fix all the symptoms but I finally sleep at night when before I couldn't. I was in deep withdrawal sleeping maybe 12 hours a week. I really don't know what to do seeing it's all scary to me..just want my life back before all this started.  In the past I never had this while on Ativan until I touched clonazepam n stopped it..how are you feeling without the benzos?  Curious to know about how everything changed for you. I don't think I even stabilized yet I don't know how am I supposed to feel if I was either.

Hi Letty,

In my case, I was on two different benzos (clonazepam for a few years, and then lorazepam was added on an "as needed" basis), plus an antidepressant at various times. So my situation is probably not a good example to use. I had to first stop taking the lorazepam, then the clonazepam, then eventually, the Prozac. It was a lot of meds.  :(

Everyone metabolizes meds differently too, so it's hard to make comparisons from one person to another. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here have vertigo before benzos?

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

I can only speak for myself -- no, I wasn't dizzy before all of this began. As far as there not being any responses, it could be that there aren't as many people logging in around here. I know I've been almost completely consumed by the COVID news, so I've hardly spent any time around here at all.

Have you had your dizziness symptoms checked by a doctor? Any vestibular testing? It may be difficult to get any of this right now due to the pandemic, but it might be worthwhile to have it done at some point. There are many different causes of dizziness, so it can be good to have things checked out.

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

I can only speak for myself -- no, I wasn't dizzy before all of this began. As far as there not being any responses, it could be that there aren't as many people logging in around here. I know I've been almost completely consumed by the COVID news, so I've hardly spent any time around here at all.

Have you had your dizziness symptoms checked by a doctor? Any vestibular testing? It may be difficult to get any of this right now due to the pandemic, but it might be worthwhile to have it done at some point. There are many different causes of dizziness, so it can be good to have things checked out.

Thank you for for your reply, Lapis2. I have had a complete workup for inner ear, MRI, vestibular testing, etc. All negative. I want to believe this is still from the benzos but since no one else is responding I worry it could be something the doc isn't catching. 😔

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

Thank you for for your reply, Lapis2. I have had a complete workup for inner ear, MRI, vestibular testing, etc. All negative. I want to believe this is still from the benzos but since no one else is responding I worry it could be something the doc isn't catching. 😔

It's great news that your test results are negative! That means you can rule out certain things. My tests were negative too, as were the tests of many others, from what I know. Benzo dizziness can go on a looooong time...sad to say. Everyone is different, though, so for some, it's a shorter time frame.

Tide fan, look back at all of your medications, and caffiene you have used in your life. Any heart medication? Any antidepressants? Use of caffiene? Were you taking ANY medications or using caffiene when your dizzyness started? I have BPPV. Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo. Over the past 2 and a half years, I woke up a couple times, rolling over in bed in the middle of the night with the entire room spinning and severe nausea. I learned to do the Eply on YouTube & my husband helped me do it. Even though the Eply was successful, I still had this boaty feeling all the time. I felt like when I would lay down that the room would spin again and start me yet again on a path to misery for months. My vertigo included nausea. I couldn't go to restaurants anymore. Then I finally figured out it was the Ativan. Things became more clear. Loud restaurants were overstimulating. People think they have agoraphobia, but that's not it at all. It's medication side effects. They make our brains sensitive and we can't take lights, noise, people. Even meclizine (Antivert) , Bonine, and dramamine the very drugs used for vertigo CAUSE vertigo. I think what happens is we take this medications and it alters our brain chemistry and sets our vestibular systems off. I had all the vertigo tests too & an MRI. All negative. I went through my primary care, and ENT, an Audiologist and a Neurologist.  Not one of them questioned that I took Ativan. Not one. I had no issues with dizzyness or vertigo until I took Ativan. The very first time i took it was actually about 10 years ago. I was dating crappy guys. I was single and struggling to pay my mortgage. My primary care prescribed Ativan then. I took about 2 pills. I don't remember it doing anything for me and I threw them away. Fast forward to 2015. My mom died. The funeral was stressful. I had a hard time sleeping  I took them only one pill (sometimes just a half of a pill) every other month or so. But, I took them over the course of 5 years. The span of time I was using them was bad. So, the weeks in between pills I was in "in between dose withdrawal". During this time, I had my first BPPV attack at 3am rolling over in bed. I went to my doctor & he gave me Meclizine.  Bad idea. More brain numbing medicine. I did the vestibular rehab therapy. Still felt "boaty" for months. Getting on a highway bothers me, then the restaurant thing. Something was wrong and I knew it. It wasn't until 10 months off of Ativan, then 3 months off of a betablocker that I was prescribed for a slightly high heart rate, but I never really needed in the first place (I had an EKG, stress test both normal, & lost 27 lbs). A cardiologist told me I did not need it. I don't have heart disease. (I don't recommend stopping heart medicine.) It wasn't until I was off of everything that the almost constant "boaty feeling" finally stopped. I enrolled in a pricey online course for vertigo. It's all about neuroplasticity & meditation really. It has helped me, but really it was the medications that were the culprits. Now when I'm in a session with all of the other vertigo group members on a live group call, as I listen to their suffering, I could just imagine how many of them are on an antidepressant, a benzo, a neuroleptic like Gapapentin, or an antipsychotic and that is what is truly causing their vertigo & crippling their lives. I cannot tell them this though. They have to "find their own path". And, for many they need medications for their heart etc. But, as for many of us, did we really need the benzos to start with? Maybe during a severe seizure, or for a one time dose pre op. That's it though. If I could go back 10 years ago to when I dated the crappy guys & I had to pull my house out of foreclosure,  I'd of rather taken up jogging or something to relieve the stress of it and never touched a benzo in my life. But, who knew. Doctors do a crap job educating & prescribing these poisons.

Alcohol also causes dizziness, so that can be a factor for some. Alcohol works on the same neurotransmitter that benzos do -- gamma aminobutyric acid or GABA.GABA is one of the main neurotransmitters that's involved in the vestibular system, but there are others, e.g. histamine, dopamine, glutamate, etc. Any medication or substance that affects those neurotransmitters can affect balance.

The vestibular system is quite sensitive, so even if something throws it off a bit, we can feel dizzy. A neurologist explained that to me a number of years ago. Medications can be a huge culprit for that.

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

I also have had extensive testing, Brain MRI, vestibular testing and therapy, you name it.  All negative...So then I ask why do I feel this way then.?.?  Must be the Benzos, sorry for your luck is pretty much the answer I get.  They offer me more drugs and say that they can’t help me if I am unwilling to take them.  I guess this is just my life from here on out, until it isn’t!

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

I also have had extensive testing, Brain MRI, vestibular testing and therapy, you name it.  All negative...So then I ask why do I feel this way then.?.?  Must be the Benzos, sorry for your luck is pretty much the answer I get.  They offer me more drugs and say that they can’t help me if I am unwilling to take them.  I guess this is just my life from here on out, until it isn’t!

Thanks for your reply Hopper14,

I'm sorry you're going through this too. What testing did you have done and how recent was it? I refused drugs too. My God, docs LOVE to throw drugs at us to shut us up don't they?  :tickedoff:

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

I'm sorry you're going through this too. What testing did you have done and how recent was it? I refused drugs too. My God, docs LOVE to throw drugs at us to shut us up don't they?  :tickedoff:

Thanks Tidefan - Since January of this year, I have had: A full brain MRI with and without contrast, vestibular testing and therapy, cognitive / psychological testing from a psycho-neurologist facility that included motor skill function.  They all concur that there is “nothing wrong” with me.  They say they believe the Benzo theory, but I suspect they are placating me on some level because they don’t understand it the way we do. Regardless of what they say or think, the reality is that I must deal with this every day and hope it gets better on its own.

May we all heal sooner than later!

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

Thanks Tidefan - Since January of this year, I have had: A full brain MRI with and without contrast, vestibular testing and therapy, cognitive / psychological testing from a psycho-neurologist facility that included motor skill function.  They all concur that there is “nothing wrong” with me.  They say they believe the Benzo theory, but I suspect they are placating me on some level because they don’t understand it the way we do. Regardless of what they say or think, the reality is that I must deal with this every day and hope it gets better on its own.

Same here, except I haven't done the psychological therapy. I can't afford it and I feel it's nothing I can fix with my way of thinking, if that makes sense. Can you describe your "dizziness"? Some ppl think I'm talking about lightheaded dizziness. I'm experiencing 24/7 rotating. If I close my eyes, omg it's even worse! God help us all...

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

Same here, except I haven't done the psychological therapy. I can't afford it and I feel it's nothing I can fix with my way of thinking, if that makes sense. Can you describe your "dizziness"? Some ppl think I'm talking about lightheaded dizziness. I'm experiencing 24/7 rotating. If I close my eyes, omg it's even worse! God help us all...

It’s been bad today.  It’s hard to explain really...I don’t know if mine is “traditional” dizziness.?.?  Some days it’s vertigo like sxs.  Other days it’s like a disconnected imbalance sort of thing.  Just moving my eyes or focusing them can cause issues for me. When I lie down and close my eyes it feels like I am slowly falling, especially on my side.  it feels like the ground is coming up to meet my feet and knocking me around, although people looking at me say I’m not moving.  I’m certainly not right!

Bump 🥺

Hi tidefan,

It’s been bad today.  It’s hard to explain really...I don’t know if mine is “traditional” dizziness.?.?  Some days it’s vertigo like sxs.  Other days it’s like a disconnected imbalance sort of thing.  Just moving my eyes or focusing them can cause issues for me. When I lie down and close my eyes it feels like I am slowly falling, especially on my side.  it feels like the ground is coming up to meet my feet and knocking me around, although people looking at me say I’m not moving.  I’m certainly not right!

I can relate to all of that. I can't seem to find many ppl on here that are long term users like us that had the vertigo so bad and healed. Most are still living with it. It's very disheartening. I sure hope we're not in that category bc I'll never be able to live independently the way I am now.

The thing is....when people get better, they go away. They don't hang around here and talk about it with others because they just want to get back to living. So, what you see here are only the people who still aren't feeling well.

Please keep that in mind. BB can't provide data that you can use to judge how many people have this issue and then get better because that would compromise confidentiality. It's just a place for people to support one another. I've been on here for awhile, and I'm in no way able to tell you any sort of statistics. I don't think anyone can, because there are no studies like that.

People do get better from this, and the Success Story section is the best place to read about it. Have a look there and you'll see that people can heal!

The thing is....when people get better, they go away. They don't hang around here and talk about it with others because they just want to get back to living. So, what you see here are only the people who still aren't feeling well.

Please keep that in mind. BB can't provide data that you can use to judge how many people have this issue and then get better because that would compromise confidentiality. It's just a place for people to support one another. I've been on here for awhile, and I'm in no way able to tell you any sort of statistics. I don't think anyone can, because there are no studies like that.

People do get better from this, and the Success Story section is the best place to read about it. Have a look there and you'll see that people can heal!

Thank you Lapis2 💜

However, I have searched through the success stories to try and find a buddie that was a severe vertigo case 12+ months off that healed completely. I can't find one. Do you know of any? I know you started this group and have seen many come and go with this issue.  I'd love to know if I'm missing something. 💘

Thank you Lapis2 💜

However, I have searched through the success stories to try and find a buddie that was a severe vertigo case 12+ months off that healed completely. I can't find one. Do you know of any? I know you started this group and have seen many come and go with this issue.  I'd love to know if I'm missing something. 💘

Yes, I know there are, but I never kept a list or record. We've had people come back and tell us that they're better. I don't know if they ever wrote a Success Story or not, since lots of people don't do that. Again, they just want to move on. I can't blame them either.

I know of one woman who was dizzy , got well, and then started to help others get off benzos. Baylissa Frederick, an author and counsellor, is another. She has written books about her experience, so you can check them out online. In some Success Stories, people list dizziness or vertigo in a list of their symptoms, and others just say "I had all the symptoms....". I haven't kept up with the Success Stories in awhile, though, since I'm dealing with other personal issues. I do think it's a good place to find some positivity, if you need some good news.

Hi Lapis,

I am thankful for this thread because I would feel so alone without it. I am sad to report that I believe to be going through what I think is a wave again. I just recently posted my 1 year mark success story. I have been living life and feeling pretty well with the occasional motion disturbances that make me feel dizzy for a min but it was pretty much manageable and in the back ground. I guess I am on here to say that yes, the ones who heal go away. I stayed away for a long while after my last acute wave.

I am trying to remain positive and not allow my health anxiety to get in the way this time.

I've had an MRI and all the tests done. Even a sleep study to see if it was seizures and everything came back normal.

I did a couple months of VRT therapy but those didn't seem to help, the only healer was time.

I guess to ease some of my fears, I'm back to explore this Dizzy thread and to hear what others have experienced through their 'waves'.

A little specifics:

This go around, it crept up so slowly that I didn't think anything of it. It happened a few days before my menstrual cycle so I just thought it was that because what hit me first was bone crushing fatigue. Then chills, kind of like flu like symptoms but no fever, achy joints a few days and now head is all wonky again. I'm really dizzy. I feel drunk. My jaw is tight and aches like I've been clenching my teeth so this time I have a horrible headache. Again, I thought the first few days was just that time of the month but now that I'm dizzy I think this is  a wave. Eyes are extremely sensitive to motion, light and everything is blurry to the point I feel like I can't see. Ears feel sore like cold wind has been blowing in them. My DR is back in different times through out the day and I feel the worst in the mornings where I can't think. It's like i'm spaced out and confused. Disoriented is the word I think.

Does this sound like a classic wave of symptoms to you? ... I know it's a lot, sorry  :(

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys. You're all so brave  :smitten:

Hi Lapis,

I am thankful for this thread because I would feel so alone without it. I am sad to report that I believe to be going through what I think is a wave again. I just recently posted my 1 year mark success story. I have been living life and feeling pretty well with the occasional motion disturbances that make me feel dizzy for a min but it was pretty much manageable and in the back ground. I guess I am on here to say that yes, the ones who heal go away. I stayed away for a long while after my last acute wave.

I am trying to remain positive and not allow my health anxiety to get in the way this time.

I've had an MRI and all the tests done. Even a sleep study to see if it was seizures and everything came back normal.

I did a couple months of VRT therapy but those didn't seem to help, the only healer was time.

I guess to ease some of my fears, I'm back to explore this Dizzy thread and to hear what others have experienced through their 'waves'.

A little specifics:

This go around, it crept up so slowly that I didn't think anything of it. It happened a few days before my menstrual cycle so I just thought it was that because what hit me first was bone crushing fatigue. Then chills, kind of like flu like symptoms but no fever, achy joints a few days and now head is all wonky again. I'm really dizzy. I feel drunk. My jaw is tight and aches like I've been clenching my teeth so this time I have a horrible headache. Again, I thought the first few days was just that time of the month but now that I'm dizzy I think this is  a wave. Eyes are extremely sensitive to motion, light and everything is blurry to the point I feel like I can't see. Ears feel sore like cold wind has been blowing in them. My DR is back in different times through out the day and I feel the worst in the mornings where I can't think. It's like i'm spaced out and confused. Disoriented is the word I think.

Does this sound like a classic wave of symptoms to you? ... I know it's a lot, sorry  :(

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys. You're all so brave  :smitten:

Hi IwillRise,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad again, but it sounds like you've had some better days. I just wanted to ask if you've spoken with your doctor about your symptoms and if you're at all concerned about COVID-19. Right now, of course, things are different than they were before, and we all need to be a bit careful about that. I actually checked in with my doctor recently, just to see what he thought and whether my little cough might be something or nothing.

I'm not really comfortable making a judgment either way about the symptoms you've listed, and I think it would be best for you to listen to your gut on this one. If it seems like a return of something you've experienced before with your benzo symptoms, and you don't want to get it checked further, then patience is in order. But if you're at all concerned it could be something else, then by all means, contact your doctor and see about getting a COVID-19 test.

Take good care!

Thanks for the reply Lapis! Well, I did check in with my doctor and she said unless I’m running a fever or have a cough then I should be clear from Covid. Apart from that she can’t help much with this. So, I called my ENT doctor back. I had a VNG test done back in November that showed that the balance system in my right ear has lost 40%. They said part of the test also shows that my body is not compensating like it should be and they don’t know why. They scheduled an over the phone appointment with the doc but it’s not til next week. I already did 2 months of vestibular therapy as per requested from the ENT so I’m not sure what’s next.

Thanks for the reply Lapis! Well, I did check in with my doctor and she said unless I’m running a fever or have a cough then I should be clear from Covid. Apart from that she can’t help much with this. So, I called my ENT doctor back. I had a VNG test done back in November that showed that the balance system in my right ear has lost 40%. They said part of the test also shows that my body is not compensating like it should be and they don’t know why. They scheduled an over the phone appointment with the doc but it’s not til next week. I already did 2 months of vestibular therapy as per requested from the ENT so I’m not sure what’s next.

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing exactly what you should be doing then -- checking in with the doctor. If there's something that has shown up on a test, then the doctor him/herself should hopefully be able to advise you on what's next. I'm really glad it's not COVID-19, though! That's a relief. Maybe you need to do more VRT, or maybe it will take a bit longer for your vestibular system to normalize. Benzos can obviously be very problematic for the vestibular system, and people's bodies are different -- that is, not everyone reacts in the same way.