Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Menstrual Support Group

Hi ladies,

Count me in as the newest member of this support group!  My cycle greatly affects my withdrawal symptoms as well- they ramp up when I'm PMSing.  And my withdrawal greatly affects my cycle!  It's a never ending cycle of crazy ;)  And lately my cycles have been every 2 weeks- lucky me! 

I'll take the time to read through some of the posts here, but tell me, what's your 'favorite' way to cope when your cycle upticks your symptoms?  Mental and physical coping strategies?  I try to recognize things, esp the depression part, as hormonal and as temporary.  I remind myself it will all pass.  I try to realize what I can change and what I can't, and try to find ways to accept and be with what is happening.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [Ki...]

• [He...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

CandiceJM-Welcome and yes going off a Benzo will mess up your cycle. I'm going to get my period again next Monday and I will be two weeks too. I've also noticed my boobs hurt a lot, and I'm still shedding hair....

I'm sure it takes a couple of months to rebalance but who knows. Must stay positive.

Fran

Thanks Fran.  I've had problems with my cycle for a couple years now.  I think my hormones becoming imbalanced was what caused my anxiety which caused my insomnia which led me to a doctor who prescribed Xanax for sleep.  And now, here I am.  Even more hormonally imbalanced, lol!

CandiceJM-you are singing my song. I never had anxiety however I could always fall a sleep but I could not stay a sleep. I'm 51 years old and I was waking up to go to the bathroom and that's when I could not fall back to sleep. I believe when a woman is perimenoapause that's when all of the sleep problems occur. Now when I wake up to go to the bathroom at 3:00 AM I listen to meditation oasis and that always helps put me right back to sleep. So much better than taking 5 mg of Valium to get back to bed.

Fran

[43...]
Day 3 of my period and it's just horrific. Everything hurts so bad I feel so sick I can barely move I keep crying and praying for it to stop. I just want this over.

Sunnygirl02 you made me laugh. I have to share this wonderful link with everyone. This is probably why I was waking up every night at 3:00 AM....If this link is true I can't believe I used a valium to get back to sleep when it could have been something so simple as my sugar....

Fran

http://doctorkatend.com/what-really-causes-waking-in-the-middle-of-the-night/

I don't know where to post about this, but here seems as good a place as any!! So I've been off since the end of January, and was on for a very short time, so I have a hard time chalking things up to withdrawal. But I do think being on that stuff has made me more sensitive overall. This month, at mid cycle and now when I'm due for my period any second, I had horrible nighttime chest pounding/rapid pulse (120 mid-cycle, not as fast this time but I didn't want to count exactly and get more stressed out!). It lasts off and on all night, and comes on when I lay down. Now last evening(around 6pm) I did have a small cup of coffee, and think that definitely contributed, but I've had coffee in the evening before and not had this effect. That's why I think my body has become more sensitive. Also wondering about perimenopause, though I'm "only" 40 and there isn't a history of early menopause in my family. And it's hard to research anything having to do with heart stuff without heart attack hits coming up! If it happens again next month/cycle, that's when I'll get with my dr. again. Symptoms and issues seem to bounce around and change so much, there's a possibility it won't happen again! UGH. Probably just part of getting older. Thanks for listening, buddies!  :smitten:

Mookie

Mookie12-Welcome and rule number one NO caffeine allowed while your are tapering or in recovery. Caffeine is a stimulant and it will rev you up. You can try decaf which has about 14% caffeine but only one cup in the AM. No need to go to a doctor they do not understand the s/x of coming off a benzo. When I first went off of it on 12-31- by pulse, and blood pressure were high. That's normal and due to the withdrawal of a benzo and it should regulate on it's own. I have a blood pressure kit which I used to monitor it. Try not to get too compulsive monitoring your blood pressure. Once my BP returned to normal I stopped checking it daily.

You can also try mediation oasis (on computer or iphone under Podcast). This meditation exercise will help you so much. TRUST ME! My shrink told me about it. It's been a life saver for falling back to sleep at 3:00 AM or when I was feeling anxious during the day.

Fran

What's weird is that it's not every time I drink coffee...I have a small cup every morning and this doesn't happen. I'd lose my mind, and give up that cup in an instant! I think giving up the caffeine for now is probably a good idea, though. My doc has actually been pretty supportive through this, and it was because I didn't pay attention to her initial instructions that I got into this mess. We also tried an SSRI toward the end of my taper (AWFUL...stopped after 11 days with mild serotonin syndrome), but I had actually discovered that the episodes that led me to Ativan were actually from wheat/gluten!They mimicked panic attack and even some neurological symptoms, but since dropping gluten it hasn't happened again. Now I have these OTHER weird things, and they aren't consistent! But these two tachy episodes synced up with my cycle. I'm so grateful for this place to just put all this out there and get it out of my head. :)

Mookie12-I know nothing about Ativan and panic attacks but I do know from being on BB that most women experience bad waves when they get their periods so hold onto your hat.

Im dealing with my hair shedding and I'm hoping I don't end up bald!!

Sunnygirl02 you made me laugh. I have to share this wonderful link with everyone. This is probably why I was waking up every night at 3:00 AM....If this link is true I can't believe I used a valium to get back to sleep when it could have been something so simple as my sugar....

Fran

http://doctorkatend.com/what-really-causes-waking-in-the-middle-of-the-night/

;)  One has to keep a sense of humor about these things!  :crazy:

Interesting link.  It's hard to look back knowing what we know now, isn't it?  :tickedoff:

Oh, Fran, that's awful!! And yes, I've definitely noticed feeling worse around my period, through tapering and now after. I know it's nothing dangerous, and that's the important thing!! And I will definitely check out that meditation oasis...thanks for the recommendation! I'm also going to try a gentle yoga class, once I find one that fits in my schedule.

Thanks for responding, Fran!  :smitten:

Sunny.

Have you discovered anything else about the sugar? My doctor fully believes it is a part of my sleep issues but I've been on a hypoglycemic diet all along and I can't seem to stabilize at night with these cortisol surges too that get worse with the hormones. What else has worked for you?

Sunny.

Have you discovered anything else about the sugar? My doctor fully believes it is a part of my sleep issues but I've been on a hypoglycemic diet all along and I can't seem to stabilize at night with these cortisol surges too that get worse with the hormones. What else has worked for you?

I don't know.  I never had trouble with low blood sugar until withdrawal so I fully believe it is just another symptom that will disappear after wd ends.  All my symptoms also get so much worse cyclically, just before and at the beginning of my period.  All of what you're saying sounds really common, or "normal", for wd.  All we can do for some things I think is manage the symptoms until our bodies and brains heal.  The dread four letter word again - time!   

Right now I'm trying to heal my gut.  I have hope that maybe that will help jump start more healing.  There does seem to be a gut-brain connection. 

Sunngirl02-I'm supposed to get my period next Monday and today I have a little anxiety. This will be my second period so I have to monitor my waves. How many days before you get your period did you feel that your waves or symptoms got worse? OH yes laughing and being witty is so good during recovery.

Mookie12- No problem..We are all in this together.

Fran

Sunngirl02-I'm supposed to get my period next Monday and today I have a little anxiety. This will be my second period so I have to monitor my waves. How many days before you get your period did you feel that your waves or symptoms got worse? OH yes laughing and being witty is so good during recovery.

Mookie12- No problem..We are all in this together.

Fran

I'm much worse - like monster bad lol - for about a week (give or take) before my period and then up until after I get it and my flow slows.  Ugh.  I use a free period tracker app on my cell phone (it's called P Tracker Lite) where I can record various symptoms and moods throughout the month.  It also notifies you when it's due so you can plan for when to expect your next wave.  It's been helpful! 

Sunnygirl02 THANK YOU!! I just got my period two weeks ago so I'm getting it again..LOL! On a lighter note I notice new hair growing on my head. I also noticed a lot of breakage but that's probably better than the entire hair strand falling out.

How is your anxiety before Flo comes to town:) Does that get worse?

Fran (not Flo)...hahaha

Sunnygirl02 THANK YOU!! I just got my period two weeks ago so I'm getting it again..LOL! On a lighter note I notice new hair growing on my head. I also noticed a lot of breakage but that's probably better than the entire hair strand falling out.

Fran (not Flo)...hahaha

Lol.

Ugh, annoying.  That has happened to me in wd too.  Now, I get it once, but for a long time (like 7-12 days).  New hair is good, congrats!  Lol, funny the things we get excited about now, isn't it?

My anxiety does get worse before!  I also get down and very irritable and super easily aggravated, way worse than normal PMS.  A friend going through the same thing has referred to it as feeling like a bee in a jar!  Argh.  :tickedoff:

I'm curious, has anyone here tried Lunaception?  Balancing their hormones with light/darkness in your home synced to the moon?  I've been trying it the last couple of months and think it may even be working!  But I do have to get up and turn the light on during the night to care for an old pet.  :-\

http://empoweredsustenance.com/balance-hormones-with-moon/

Sunnygirl02-well that explains my anxiety. I bought a new magnesium cream today at whole foods. I just applied it all over my body after my bath so far so good...wouldn't it be nice if a cream could just get rid of my anxiety? lol..

I never heard of Lunaception.

I don't know where to post about this, but here seems as good a place as any!! So I've been off since the end of January, and was on for a very short time, so I have a hard time chalking things up to withdrawal. But I do think being on that stuff has made me more sensitive overall. This month, at mid cycle and now when I'm due for my period any second, I had horrible nighttime chest pounding/rapid pulse (120 mid-cycle, not as fast this time but I didn't want to count exactly and get more stressed out!). It lasts off and on all night, and comes on when I lay down. Now last evening(around 6pm) I did have a small cup of coffee, and think that definitely contributed, but I've had coffee in the evening before and not had this effect. That's why I think my body has become more sensitive. Also wondering about perimenopause, though I'm "only" 40 and there isn't a history of early menopause in my family. And it's hard to research anything having to do with heart stuff without heart attack hits coming up! If it happens again next month/cycle, that's when I'll get with my dr. again. Symptoms and issues seem to bounce around and change so much, there's a possibility it won't happen again! UGH. Probably just part of getting older. Thanks for listening, buddies!  :smitten:

Mookie

Hi mookie,

It may or may not be the coffee. I have had one cup of coffee ever since my taper and it has never affected me, but some people cannot tolerate it. Also, benzos ate known to throw our hormones off so bad that we are thrown into perimenopause. I'm also 40 and have started to get my period every 3 weeks along with horrible mood swings right around my period-- there is no history of peri in my family either. I'm hoping that once I heal that my periods will go back to normal and my hormones will settle down. Best of luck, jenny

Fran (not Flo)...hahaha

Hi always,

Just wanted to let you know that the hair loss is normal in w/d. I lost a ton of hair around 3 months out, but it all came back and even came in thicker. It also got super dry, and that has gotten better too. Jenny  :smitten:

Jenny21-Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I'm hoping that my hair does comes back because I'm 51 years old and hair starts to thin when you are in your 50's. I washed my hair the other day and I was shocked what came out in the shower, it was beyond scary.... Trying to remain positive and hoping this s/x will pass soon.

Hope you are well.

Fran

Thank you Jenny!! My morning cup of coffee doesn't seem to bother me, so I may just be trying to justify it with that.  :D Today I have the headache that usually means I'm getting my period very soon, so hopefully everything else will stop. I was having a shorter cycle, but this one is a little longer. It's like nothing is consistent! I found a yoga class that meets Saturday morning very close to my house, so I'm going to sign up for that. Thank you again.

xo

Mookie

hey girls :smitten:

just need a feedback

my days will come in 7 days

and i feel that my depression and anger is all over place

its really hard to have positive self talk...

normally it would work,

but yesterday and today , i feel that its almost impossible....

do you think its due to my upcoming days,,,,

:smitten:

[41...]