Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Menstrual Support Group

Cactus,

Three days before my cycle too, and I feel weepies coming on. Crap sleep and more anxiety. Had a beautiful two week window. The wave is on it's way. Now holding my dose for 10 days.

Bennie

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [Ki...]

• [He...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenny,

Did you ever try maca? It's in a multivitamin I have and I'm wondering about it.

Thanks and I love you mucho,

Peace2

Hi Peace,

No I haven't tried it yet, its just sitting on my desk staring at me. I really want to, but I'm scared it will rev me up. I'm due for my period any day and I just am not feeling very well right now as you know so I'm gonna see if I get some courage to try it once I start feeling better. Love ya too, jenny

Hi Ladies,

I have been taking the supplement DIM, which helps balance out estrogen issues, for a few weeks now.  I am cautiously optimistic about how my upcoming cycle will go.  I'm feeling good now, despite having some hormonal issues (sore breasts), but I have no anxiety and depression.  It is day 18 for my cycle and at this time last month I was FULL into disaster mode. 

I'll keep you updated on how this goes, but so far, so good with the DIM.  :thumbsup: 

I need to take Plan B, but I'm very nervous about symptoms flaring up. I know this isn't exactly the right group but it's really appreciate any feedback. Hope everyone is well.

Hi Ladies,

I'm definitely afraid of my period. I have a fear that things are going to implode in the next few days. I'm feeling pretty good now, but in the back of my mind is this constant fear of tomorrow being day 20 of my cycle, which was horrible last month.

I'll sure be glad to lose the fear of my period! It feels so unpredictable now.

Anyone else have this?

Hi Ladies,

I'm definitely afraid of my period. I have a fear that things are going to implode in the next few days. I'm feeling pretty good now, but in the back of my mind is this constant fear of tomorrow being day 20 of my cycle, which was horrible last month.

I'll sure be glad to lose the fear of my period! It feels so unpredictable now.

Anyone else have this?

I did, for a while. And although periods can still be wavy, I am working very diligently to correcting any fear related thoughts. I plan lightly on the week that I've been symptomatic in the past, and just keep re-correcting my thoughts when any fear creeps in. I'm realizing more and more, HH -- its just symptoms! We're here, and healthy -- which means that those stupid feelings & symptoms have kept spinning lies about themselves for too long. What's there to be "afraid" of, really? Feeling some certain symptoms? But then...isn't the fear of said symptoms worse feeling than the symptoms themselves? Yeah. 'Nuff's enough. :muscle::boxer:

You're doing awesome, HH. Onward, sister. No fear, girlfriend; at least the kind that you have control over :) Keep smilin' :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Oh, I forgot to ask -- how was your daughter's volleyball game (or was it basketball?)?

Mrs,

I've been working on correcting my thinking, too, but because this past month was SO out-of-the-ordinary bad, it has derailed my efforts a bit. I'll keep at it and (hopefully!!) this period will come and go like normal.

Thanks for asking about my daughters' games! :) It was BOTH volleyball and basketball. Lol! Wins all the way around.  :thumbsup:

How was your weekend? I had today off for MLK day and it was nice to have the extra day.

Lots of love and healing to you, my friend.

HH

Mrs,

I've been working on correcting my thinking, too, but because this past month was SO out-of-the-ordinary bad, it has derailed my efforts a bit. I'll keep at it and (hopefully!!) this period will come and go like normal.

Thanks for asking about my daughters' games! :) It was BOTH volleyball and basketball. Lol! Wins all the way around.  :thumbsup:

How was your weekend? I had today off for MLK day and it was nice to have the extra day.

Lots of love and healing to you, my friend.

HH

I am telling you, friend, I think you're giving your period "too much" credit for that uptick in symptoms. I really think it was the tummy bug you had - I've read it lots of times where buddies got "slammed" with fear/anxiety/panic from the flu. Northofhere had that happen last December/January - read her posts from then :) I think you will be juuuust fine, my friend :)

Glad to hear of the wins all around! I used to play volleyball in high school, so I miss the game! :)

Glad things are better for you, dear :) Keep feeling better, yo. ;):P

Hi Mrs,

I may be giving my period too much credit for last month's wave. I do know you are right that my stomach virus really made everything MUCH worse. I've always been half afraid of my periods anyway throughout this withdrawal process, ever since I made the connection. This past one just seemed to have made my fear go haywire. I almost feel like I'm holding a time bomb.  :idiot: It will be good to have my "period fears" go back to their pre-Wave-From-Hell level!

Today is day 20 and, despite a smallish wave with physical anxiety tonight, I am doing ok so far. Despite my fears, I am feeling pretty optimistic that this period will come and go without anything too major. The next few days will be telling.

You are so strong! I wish I had half of your courage and mental toughness.  :smitten:

Hi Mrs,

I may be giving my period too much credit for last month's wave. I do know you are right that my stomach virus really made everything MUCH worse. I've always been half afraid of my periods anyway throughout this withdrawal process, ever since I made the connection. This past one just seemed to have made my fear go haywire. I almost feel like I'm holding a time bomb.  :idiot: It will be good to have my "period fears" go back to their pre-Wave-From-Hell level!

Today is day 20 and, despite a smallish wave with physical anxiety tonight, I am doing ok so far. Despite my fears, I am feeling pretty optimistic that this period will come and go without anything too major. The next few days will be telling.

You are so strong! I wish I had half of your courage and mental toughness.  :smitten:

There's only so many times that lying toothless bully can push you around, before you get plain ole p!$$ed off and start shoving back :P

Most of last year, my periods were UGH. Then my last two were - dare I say good? It just...lifted. Stopped "sucking". Lol :P Took me by complete surprise ~ I, like you, was bracing for a "ride". Then I almost forgot it was coming...when it arrived, I was shocked! I was like What?!? No panic?!? Yesssssss :)

Maybe this one will be like that for you! ;)

jenny,

i'm not sure where on the forum i should post my dilemma about progesterone so i will just talk about here first and see if anyone can help me with this. it's kinda a confusing back history so i will try to make it as clear as possible.

okay, in tolerance withdrawal for some reason i started on both bio-identicals vivelle dot estradiol patch and prometrium which is progesterone. i don't even remember why i started on them and maybe my periods were sketchy --... i don't even know if i had any hormone level tests done. anyway, since then i had only been using the prometrium on my legs. i never used it vaginally or orally so i don't even think it was being aborbed. i guess i was using it for 5 years like that. but lately i've been wanting to take the progesterone orally so i can up my levels.

a lot of women on here (except diaz-pam and a few others) keep saying to not start the progesterone because it's cross tolerant to the benzo's and that progesterone acts on the GABA receptor's just like benzo's do -- and after that one thread that was started by doublewave way back on the alternaitve section and she got into a really bad wave from the progesterone -- it has made me very scared and wary to try it orally.

well, 4 days ago i decided to try the 200mg prometrium orally and for the last 3 days felt fine and didn't really feel anything but when i took it today it was like -boom- -- like i had taken a benzo. i really felt like i had taken a benzo and i fell asleep during the day which i never do and it really knocked me out and sedated me.

so now i don't know what to do?

and some people even say that the withdrawal from progesterone is just like withdrawal from benzos? and i don't want to halt my healing but i do wish to protect my uterus if it needs to be protected by progesterone since i'm probably lacking due to this withdrawal. i don't know what to do? keep taking and see if the sedation goes away and build up my levels or just go without and allow my body to come back naturally.

by the way, i'm in my forties and i don't really have any menopausal symptoms per say. just the neurological benzo withdrawal symptoms. i don't have any hot flashes or anything other emotional symptoms and seem to be doing okay with all of that but i still haven't had a period in almost one year and i am still only 85 lbs if you  can believe that - can't seem to gain any weight and pretty sure it's still all from withdrawal. oh and i also tapered off the vivelle dot and not taking that anymore for now.

anyway, i hope some people on here can help me with a decision and i wanted to find Perseverance's posts about the cross tolerance bewteen progesterone and benzo's in the 'chewing the fat' section but can't seem to find any info on that right now. but i know that her and i have spoken about this when i first got on here and she as opposed to taking the progesterone for that reason but feel like i need to read more about it.

okay, thanks everyone and jenny!

pretty

i'm back modifying this post after a little research and came across this link about hormones and benzos. still not sure what to do?

http://www.benzosupport.org/Hormones%20and%20benzo%20diazepines.htm

I am interested in reading about this too. I have had to use bioidentical creams in the past too. They have always really helped balance my hormones and I never had any issues getting off of them. They helped me so much when my ovaries stopped producing hormones and at that same time I came off of Xanax. I haven't used them since and my hormones have been pretty stable. However, recent blood tests now show I'm really estrogen dominant and having terrible symptoms... In addition to withdrawal symptoms and I started low progesterone cream last month. It seemed to really help then but now I think it might be aggravating my symptoms. I only took it 2 weeks last month as prescribed and 2 days so far of this new cycle. Can this be? What do I do now? I'm really confused as to what to do.

hey cactuss,

i am still very confused about what to do as well. i just modified my post after reading this link about hormones and benzos.

which states:

"Progesterone, in both men and women, breaks down into allopregnanolone, which enhances the sedative effects of GABA, although precisely how is unknown"

and

"Since benzodiazepines potentiate GABA, the authors decided to test the hypothesis that there is cross-tolerance to progesterone, allopregnanolone, and benzodiazepines. They found that 24 hours after progesterone withdrawal, the GABA-potentiating effect of lorazepam fell drastically, in some cases disappearing completely. They confirmed that this was a result of the withdrawal of the progesterone metabolite allopregnanolone by using another drug to block the initial formation of allopreg-nanolone during progesterone exposure. When they did this, the insensitivity to lorazepam following progesterone withdrawal did not occur. Further tests found that the decreased sensitivity to lorazepam correlated with increased seizure activity"

which i am still unsure of what this means? i wish someone could shed a light on this stuff, i am so sick of trying to figure this stuff out.

i know that having too little progesterone can't be a good thing as far as protecting the uterus. i don't care about mood/emotions right now as i've been pretty even keeled espeically going through this horrid benzo withdrawal as i am more concerned about keeping the uterus protected and not having estrogen dominance.

i did finally find Perseverance's post about progesterone and benzo's so maybe that will shed some light.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=47259.0

Thanks for the links.  I did read through a lot of the discussions.  I am still confused though.  Please let us know anything else you find out! Thank you again!

i found something else kinda interesting that may help us to make an informed choice of whether or not to supplement with progesterone. i think i may not supplement with it for a little while more and have more natural healing take place and see how i feel. it's hard to do that though when one fears about uterus protection. and like i said, i don't have any hot flashes and my mood is always pretty good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19272715

thought i would share a little more of my experience of taking the 200mg prometrium orally. like i stated before i had taken it 3 days in a row with no problem. then yesterday i felt so unbelievably sedated and like i had taken a benzo which really kinda felt good to tell you the truth. but that told me just how sedating it is and how sensitive i personllly am to be taking this progesterone.

and this morning i awoke after having gruesome 'themed' nightmares all night of little boys with guns shooting everyone and i couldn't get out of the gun fire -- it was horrible and i do attribute this to the progesterone because i hadn't had any nightmares for months. so i won't be taking the progesterone orally anymore or until i am more healed and then i will see how it goes.

for now, i may just dab a little on my labia and legs only because i really do want to take this bio-identical but i don't wish to prolong my healing.

i thought some women may want to have a look at this link of dr. wilson talking about bio-identicals as the information is helping me a little more with my decision to not take this hormone right now. i don't agree with everything he says about everything but i like a lot of his info.

http://drlwilson.com/articles/hormone%20therapy.htm

Hi pretty,

I really don't know what to say as all this stuff is so confusing to me too. I do think that we are probably more sensitive to progesterone than the average person, which sucks because I do think it would be very beneficial. I think I'm perimenopausal because I'm getting my period every 3 weeks and I have a very hard time the week before my period, I get very moody and emotional-- I think hormones might help me but I'm still too scared. What have you decided to do? Also, thanks for sharing your experience I think it is very helpful to hear from different women and their experience with hormones. Hope you are doing well, jenny  :smitten:

I clicked Dr. Wilson's. He seems kind of out there. If one clicks on all his home page info it's a mash of medical, political and philosophical posts. Do I trust a "doctor" that has a banner. "Impeach the president" ?  :P

i thought some women may want to have a look at this link of dr. wilson talking about bio-identicals as the information is helping me a little more with my decision to not take this hormone right now. i don't agree with everything he says about everything but i like a lot of his info.

like i said above that i don't agree with everything he says but i do think he's got some good and interesting thought provoking info about health.

jenny,

i am deciding to not take the progesterone at this time. i couldn't believe how it made me feel like i took a benzo which was great and felt good for change. but i think i should wait until i am more healed to make my decision about it.

Hi Ladies,

I am hoping my period starts today, because I'm starting to get hit with symptoms. Horrible night sleeping with waking every hour or two. My physical anxiety is up, along with fear and depression. I hate this!

Yesterday was a great day, and this cycle my PMS has been good until now. If I start my period today, then I'll consider taking DIM as being successful, because my PMS will have been only a day. Fingers crossed that's the case!

HH, it probably will. For me, its like I could tell when my hormones would drop (namely progesterone), which jumpstarts menstruation for women. That seemed to be when my "uptick" would occur. Then, it was only a matter of time - for me, it seemed to range from 1-3 days after the "uptick" :)

We'll know we're on our way when our period starts and it surprises us! :) Yesssssss!!!

Yes, HH keep us posted. I start feeling like crap a full week before my period. This period was bad again for me, it literally jump starts all my sx , every month. I think I'd be doing a lot better if it wasn't for the periods. I'm really at a loss... I mean I'm 16 months out and still dealing with hell every month due to my period. Let us know if you think the DIM is working, Jenny

Hi Mrs and Jenny,

Periods really suck, don't they? I also feel like I'd be doing so much better if my hormones didn't cause such disruption. I'm actually thinking that the DIM has been a positive help so far. I don't feel good right now, but I'm up and cleaning my house for my daughter's sleepover tonight. All my symptoms currently feel less sharp, except maybe the depression.

I can not be sick today and I have to power through however I feel to put the middle school dinner/dance on. I wish I could just curl up in bed and cry.

PLEASE, period, start TODAY so I can start to feel better again!!

[d8...]