Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Menstrual Support Group

Interestingly, I still haven't started my period and I'm on Day 26 of my cycle. This is good because during withdrawal my cycle got shorter, sometimes even as short as every 2 weeks. It seemed to have settled at 22-25 days the past several months, so this is the longest I have had.

My PMS symptoms have been manageable and intermittent. I had the bad night of sleep a few nights ago and some feelings of being sick, tired, depressed, and anxious on a different morning...but they didn't stick around. This is a huge improvement over the thick blanket of anxiety and despair that I'm usually dealing with! I still have some fear that it will still come crashing down on me, but so far so good.

I've taken DIM every night for about 3 weeks now. I'll continue to keep you posted.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [Ki...]

• [He...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Could you remind me what DIM is? Thanks.

Bennie

Hi Bennie,

This is copied from a previous post:

DIM is an extract from cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, ect) that helps with regulating estrogen imbalance.  My 13 year old daughter was recommended to take it by our OB-GYN when she was getting 2 periods per month.  It helped regulate her cycle tremendously.  Here is a link with some information about it.  There is a section specifically about its effects on PMS. 

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/hormones/diindolymethane.htm

DIM update:

Still no period for me and it's Day 27 now.  My PMS is very manageable, with only a few uncomfortable spikes that have been very short-lived.  :thumbsup:

HH,

Great updates :)

I felt what I believe is my 'uptick' this afternoon...let's sew if I start here in the next 1-3 days! :laugh:

How are you feeling?

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Mrs,

I'm sorry you are in the uptick right now. It's my least favorite time!! I hope your period comes soon and relatively uneventfully. Won't it be wonderful to JUST have a period???

My physical symptoms (I call it "anxiety", but I'm not sure that is accurate) have had an upswing tonight, too. Still MUCH better than the last 2 months, but I don't like it. Today was good on the whole, however.

Tonight will be a crawl into bed early kind of a night.  :)

DIM update:

I started my period this morning on Day 28, so the DIM worked to stretch my cycle out an additional 4 days. PMS seemed more manageable this month than most previous ones. I slept good last night, though I woke up at about 4:30 with a jolt of physical anxiety, which is when my period started. I feel some physical crud right now, shaky muscles, burning chest, sore spots, but I'm not up moving around yet. Hopefully it gets better after I get up!

So far I have been pleased with what DIM seems to be doing with my cycle. It'll be interesting if my actual period is changed any. Normally I experience heavy cramps (sometimes even after my period stops, not sure how?), light bleeding for 2-3 days, high anxiety, high depression.

Do you take DIM instead of progesterone cream?

Yes, only DIM. My doctor suggested progesterone, and prescribed me a pill. It made me feel terrible the next day so I haven't taken it since, and she said to only take the DIM.

OK. Thanks. I'm talking to my Dr soon. I've taken DIM in the past for years and it helped so much. My progesterone cream I think it increasing my sxs but I don't know. I'm glad it is helping you.

i wish i would just start ....my anxiety is the most right now....im being a weirdo today not a good day. think i will order in tonight and go to bed early. i hope you guys are doing better than me eh. big hug to ya!! i really hate anxiety. just when i think I'm getting a little better bam on my butt again. I'm getting tired from all the mental stuff going on in my head. i want to scream.  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Yes, only DIM. My doctor suggested progesterone, and prescribed me a pill. It made me feel terrible the next day so I haven't taken it since, and she said to only take the DIM.

HH,

what does the DIM do again? my doctor said that my estrogen is low. can you supply the link for the DIM again? thanks , pretty

HH,

what does the DIM do again? my doctor said that my estrogen is low. can you supply the link for the DIM again? thanks , pretty

Here is a link that contains some information.  If you google DIM, lots of info will pop up.  My understanding is that it helps to balance hormones.

HH,

Here is a link that contains some information.  If you google DIM, lots of info will pop up.  My understanding is that it helps to balance hormones.

i just got all my hormone results today and the doc said the 2 things that were really low were estrogen and vit D. i don't know what to do about the vit D because many on here say that too much is toxic and that it also revvs people up.

she actually said my progesterone, testosterone, thyroid & DHEA were all okay. so i'm glad that i'm not taking the progesterone right now. but wish to balance the estrogen.

Pretty, now I see your question about the vita. D. I would just start low but you really need vitamin d for mood and health as well!

I really push myself to get out with my dog and I gave the sun for at least a few minutes. My hot flashes have made the cold feel good so I even go without gloves most of the time. They say to take gloves off if the air is not too bitter.

HH- thank you so much for keeping us posted. Did the DIM  increase any sx  for you that you noticed? Where do you buy it? I think I'm going to try it, I need to do something...

I need to go back a few pages, but I am thinking the DIM mentioned was for menopause symptoms? I better look it up also before my next doc appt. the drop in hormones is for sure triggering my biggest withdrawal symptoms.

I am noticing I can't get have much fluctuation in emotion or I trigger quite a mess. I am trying to let the emotion come ha more subdued form of that makes sense? Not easy when I cry or get mad easily this time of month!

HH- thank you so much for keeping us posted. Did the DIM  increase any sx  for you that you noticed? Where do you buy it? I think I'm going to try it, I need to do something...

Jenny,

It actually seemed to decrease many of my symptoms.  My PMS was definitely better this month, though I am on the 2nd day of my period right now and feel like I'm in the middle of Crap Soup....but I don't think it has anything to do with the DIM.  I got mine from The Vitamin Shoppe and the kind I take has vitamin D in it.  There are many different varieties out there, from what I can tell.

I think it is worth a try, for sure.  Good luck!     

Hi Ladies,

It seems the DIM did not make my period any better, but i think it certainly helped my PMS. I'm in my usual wave with my period.

I could just scream and cry! My body hurts, it burns, it feels like it's being squeezed, it fluctuates from being too hot or too cold, sleep was almost nonexistent last night.

My period is stopping, so I am hoping this wave will leave, but it seems quite intense and gaining.  :'(

HH- so sorry to hear this.. Once again there are no quick fixes, we just have to get through and endure. I think its a positive thing that it did help your PMS and your next period may prove to be better. Jenny

• 3 weeks later...

hi

well, I have a question on what to do if you're anxiety gets even more bothersome during your menstrual ?

I know of meditating, but do you all take any supplements or drink certain herbal teas? ( if so, what herbs ?)

Currently feeling a tad bit anxious, but it is coming in waves.

:) if you guys are currently feeling like crap b/c of your cycle....don't fret , I am too  :laugh: :laugh: :-[:) *sends positive vibes to all on the forum/thread*

ps....anyone on the east coast, it is a crazy blizzard out here :tickedoff:

hi

well, I have a question on what to do if you're anxiety gets even more bothersome during your menstrual ?

I know of meditating, but do you all take any supplements or drink certain herbal teas? ( if so, what herbs ?)

Currently feeling a tad bit anxious, but it is coming in waves.

:) if you guys are currently feeling like crap b/c of your cycle....don't fret , I am too  :laugh: :laugh: :-[:) *sends positive vibes to all on the forum/thread*

ps....anyone on the east coast, it is a crazy blizzard out here :tickedoff:

Hi there!

Yes, I know for me my anxiety gets ramped up during my menstrual cycle too. I think most of us here are scared of any supplements, but I do try and eat super healthy and exercise.. Sometimes I do notice it really helping me with my sx, and other times nothing seems to help.. I hope you get some relief soon, and thanks for sending us your positive vibes  :smitten: jenny

I'm 14 days late....which I would be fine with if I hadn't been experiencing the pre-menstrual uptick the whole time  :tickedoff: So annoying.

Hippie - I don't take anything. I'm too afraid to risk it since people seem to often react poorly to a variety of supplements.

http://i.imgur.com/mDDMxxjl.jpg

So sorry kiddo! Im still getting my period every 21 days with a full week of PMS and sx  right before. It sucks!! I hope you get it soon, it always brings me some relief after a few days.  :smitten:

[63...]