Menstrual Support Group

Welcome! So sorry you are dealing with severe PMS, I think most of us can relate to how you are feeling. A lot of members on here including myself have tried supplements etc, but honestly nothing really works-- it all comes down to time and waiting this w/d out. I would be careful with the BC and see if it helping or not because I know some women on here said it revved up all their sx. I wish I could be of more help, all I can say is I feel your pain. I'm 21 months out andy periods are a lot better, but I still have an uptick in sx and my cucles have been very irregular. Hang in there, Jenny

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [je...]

• [Ki...]

• [He...]

• [pr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have my days in 5 days....I think my stomach ache is related to it.....

So in 9 days I am moving to the 6-12 months support group thread :crazy:

Vasilisa

:smitten:

[f8...]

Hi everyone! I hate to see everyone here suffering so badly from this but in a weird way, it's somewhat relieving for me to see that I'm not the only one, and I'm really glad I found this thread!!

In October 2014 I tapered hard off of .5mg Ativan after using for 2 years for anxiety; I had started taking it after my dad died and a few other unfortunate life happenings. I definitely tapered too fast unknowingly, and have had quite a ride in this withdrawal. I am about 8 months out and though I am much better in regards to sleep and the prior level of anxiety and sickness, I am still suffering pretty badly. :( I still have all over body fatigue/weakness/soreness... anxiety, panic attacks, rage, depression, dizziness, etc. These symptoms are by far much worse right before and during my period... I mean I am talking absolute hell.

Between the physical crappiness that I feel and the psychological symptoms (increased anxiety, increased rage, distrust, worry, insecurity, depression, and so on) it's just the worst thing ever. I finally was able to figure out with my boyfriend that this pattern happened around the same time every month. At first it was like, "oh man, get ready for hell!" and joking because it was the only time we got in the real blow out fights. However, I can see it's really starting to wear on him and affect the way he acts towards me. I actually think it might end my relationship if I can't get myself fixed. He has suffered through all of this with me, and it is taxing. He is the best guy I have ever known, so quite naturally, this scares the shit out of me! But in his defense, who the heck would want to be with someone who is a miserable mess and consistently has an array of physical and mental problems.. it depresses me FOR him.

I have been officially "diagnosed" with PMDD due to my symptoms and put on generic Yaz as of last Friday to "level out my hormones". Aside from all of the negative info about Yaz and others like it online, I kind of believe that putting synthetic hormones in me will really just cause an even bigger imbalance in the long run. At this point, though, I don't know what the hell else to do! I am at my wit's end... I have tried supplements (magnesium, Vitamin D, C, B, E, ALL of them), naturopaths, meditation, exercise, energy healing, Maca, brainwave optimization, just all kinds of stuff. Nothing has touched my "PMDD" or severe PMS. I mean I have even thought about getting a hysterectomy to get out of this crap and I am only 27 years old. :( I haven't had children yet, so I won't likely do that, but sometimes the idea of just being free from this entirely sounds so nice, and necessary.

If anyone on here has had great results with certain supplements or methods, I would love to hear! I fear that if I don't figure it out, I will lose everything I love. I honestly am thankful the guy has stayed with me for this long because I have been a absolute mess and I know that I can't make him happy like that because I can't even make myself happy like that. It's something that gets pretty much out of my control for two weeks. And then, I struggle to pick up the pieces for two weeks until it all comes crashing down again.

I have been pushed in the direction of SSRIs and all of that and while I'm not ENTIRELY against them, I really and truly would rather avoid taking them as I personally don't know how great they are, but please correct me if you have tried them or are on them and know them to be helpful and healthy.

So sorry for the lengthy post.. it has been a long time coming. I cry so much at where my life has ended up because of these drugs. And after finally getting my life in order, it falls apart even harder when I try to do the right thing and come off of them. Really looking for some advice here. Thank you!!!

I was diagnosed w/PMDD as well. It is utterly horrible. Since tapering though, I have noticed a huge difference w/my menstrual cycle. The mental anguish and physical pain are diminishing.

got my days today :crazy:

3 days earlier than usual :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

having  a bad back pain and just feeling beyond exhausted...

i was wondering why my blackness and despair this morning was so freaking scary :'(

v

:smitten:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi- I am joining in here because I may have discovered something helpful. As I get lower in dose I am finding I am really only having symptoms the week before my period. Unfortunately my period has been coming every 20 days, and only lasting 2-3 days. Which means the bad times were happening too often. I decided to be diligent about taking my iron supplement this cycle (18 mg iron glycinate daily plus vitamin C) and I am on day 22 now with no problems thus far.

I'm so glad I found this thread.  I don't have any anxiety symptoms real bad till about a week before aunt flow comes in.  I'm due thursday for a visit from her, and boy oh boy, I've been feeling her coming. Not fun!  :tickedoff:

Hi buppup, yep a lot of us get some pretty nasty sx a week before our periods.. It messes with our cycles too..

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask. I've never had issues with PMS. When I tapered from 6 to 4mg my periods were longer than normal. Sometimes almost 2 weeks. I don't know if that had to do with the taper. I haven't had my period in awhile because I was on the depo shot. I was considering not getting it again and it is either out of my system or almost out of system now. I've been having a rough week with bad sxs and I didn't cut. I think it's from switching a GI med that through my levels off. I'm wondering if the depo shot leaving my system could also be affecting me. In the past it hasn't, but my body has been more sensitive since I started tapering again. Depo is progestin which is synthetic progesterone. I'm not sure if it would better for me to get it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

XO Maya

[f8...]

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask. I've never had issues with PMS. When I tapered from 6 to 4mg my periods were longer than normal. Sometimes almost 2 weeks. I don't know if that had to do with the taper. I haven't had my period in awhile because I was on the depo shot. I was considering not getting it again and it is either out of my system or almost out of system now. I've been having a rough week with bad sxs and I didn't cut. I think it's from switching a GI med that through my levels off. I'm wondering if the depo shot leaving my system could also be affecting me. In the past it hasn't, but my body has been more sensitive since I started tapering again. Depo is progestin which is synthetic progesterone. I'm not sure if it would better for me to get it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

XO Maya

If I were you, I would hold off on the shot. If you have to be on BC I would go with something not so permanent. The neuva ring has always worked great for me. I had the depo shot, long before I was tapering and it made my anxiety go through the roof. At the moment, I can't tolerate BC. I have always been sensitive to them and I founf the neuva ring to be the most helpful, as it's, I believe, the lowest hormone dose.

My my PMS got so bad over the past two years. That the depression and anxiety were crippling. I'm only 29 & that's what began to que me in on looking into these meds. They real havoc on our endocrine system! You are probably experiencing a long period due to not getting the shot. I know when I stopped taking BC, I had the same thing for about two month. It went back to "normal," meaning my usual 4 days. I NEVER cut around my period that would be like throwing gasoline on a fire. For me at least. I was due to cut, but my doc and I both agreed to wait until this bout of PMS runs its course. Feel better girl!  :smitten::hug:

Hello!

XO Maya

If I were you, I would hold off on the shot. If you have to be on BC I would go with something not so permanent. The neuva ring has always worked great for me. I had the depo shot, long before I was tapering and it made my anxiety go through the roof. At the moment, I can't tolerate BC. I have always been sensitive to them and I founf the neuva ring to be the most helpful, as it's, I believe, the lowest hormone dose.

My my PMS got so bad over the past two years. That the depression and anxiety were crippling. I'm only 29 & that's what began to que me in on looking into these meds. They real havoc on our endocrine system! You are probably experiencing a long period due to not getting the shot. I know when I stopped taking BC, I had the same thing for about two month. It went back to "normal," meaning my usual 4 days. I NEVER cut around my period that would be like throwing gasoline on a fire. For me at least. I was due to cut, but my doc and I both agreed to wait until this bout of PMS runs its course. Feel better girl!  :smitten::hug:

I will hold off, thanks for the advice. I actually just got have my tubes tied at the end of June. I was wondering if it would perhaps be better for me to keep progestin in my system because progesterone is cross tolerant to benzos. I have always done well with the depo shot. I actually haven't had issues with any BC, but I tend to prefer progesterone to estrogen based. I'm sorry you are so sensitive to them.

I got really bad depression and anxiety, as well. I never got PMS though. I also have been on BC for a long time, so I don't usually get my period often. I'm 31 and my severe depression that I never had before got me looking into klonopin. I actually haven't got my period yet. The last time I tapered which was over a year ago, it was from 6mg to 4mg and I wasn't on BC for most of it and I was getting my period for longer. I don't know if it was just a random thing or tapering could affect my period. I went on the depo shot and it went away. That was a very easy taper though, this one has been a lot harder.

Even though I can't get pregnant my dr said I could go on hormonal birth control, so I wouldn't get my period. I am nervous to get it because I'm tapering. I will take your advice and just see what happens. I hope your PMS gets better! Thank so much!!!

XOXO

Maya  :smitten:  :hug:

Great idea for a support group, Jenny!  I am ALWAYS hit with worse symptoms right before and the first few days of my period...and seem to cry about it on BB.  This will be perfect!  :) 

I'm there right now, having started my period yesterday.  In and out of waves...UGH! I started noticing the connection back in October, and it used to be much, MUCH, worse during this time.  Also, my cycle was all over the place for many months and it has started to regulate itself again.  So, this all does improve. 

Today I'm feeling a bit jittery, with some chest anxiety, some head pressure, and am somewhat depressed.  It's really hard to tell how much is from my period and how much is brought on by summer vacation having started.  I do so much better with being busy and having lots of people (23 4th graders did the trick! :D) around me.  I will be figuring out my new normal the next couple weeks as I settle in to this new routine.

I'm feeling the same way today - except I'm ovulating. Does that mess with the withdrawal like PMS?

Hi Ladies,

I am really getting slammed during this month's period. This morning I woke up at 4 to a big cortisol rush and I have been very anxious and symptomatic since (it's a little after 8 now).  I've had dry heaves, benzo-rhea, internal vibrations, jitters, depression, anxiety through the roof.  UGH!!  :'(  My period only lasted 2 1/2 days this time and ended yesterday afternoon, but I'm still getting slammed. 

I am feeling SO discouraged (yet again...as I seem to say EVERY time that I am in a wave).  I keep thinking "what if this stays, or gets worse?"  I know it won't, I know that overall I am healing and doing well, but I feel that stupid benzo fear.  Right now I feel like I should change my profile signature to say 20% healed....

I am trying to be proactive about this wave.  I just got back from a 2 1/2 mile walk, I'm going to get in the shower, then I'm going to go help out with the basketball team's parking lot sale.  I'm praying this wave ends soon!

I sure hope you all are having a better few days than me!!  Periods REALLY are terrible during recovery.  At least we can say that with each one we are a month (more or less) further down the healing road....

Had the SAME exact thing happen to me this morning at 5am!!!! I'm so glad I'm not going crazy!!!!!!

[f8...]

Hi Ladies,

I am really getting slammed during this month's period. This morning I woke up at 4 to a big cortisol rush and I have been very anxious and symptomatic since (it's a little after 8 now).  I've had dry heaves, benzo-rhea, internal vibrations, jitters, depression, anxiety through the roof.  UGH!!  :'(  My period only lasted 2 1/2 days this time and ended yesterday afternoon, but I'm still getting slammed. 

I am feeling SO discouraged (yet again...as I seem to say EVERY time that I am in a wave).  I keep thinking "what if this stays, or gets worse?"  I know it won't, I know that overall I am healing and doing well, but I feel that stupid benzo fear.  Right now I feel like I should change my profile signature to say 20% healed....

I am trying to be proactive about this wave.  I just got back from a 2 1/2 mile walk, I'm going to get in the shower, then I'm going to go help out with the basketball team's parking lot sale.  I'm praying this wave ends soon!

I sure hope you all are having a better few days than me!!  Periods REALLY are terrible during recovery.  At least we can say that with each one we are a month (more or less) further down the healing road....

Had the SAME exact thing happen to me this morning at 5am!!!! I'm so glad I'm not going crazy!!!!!!

Me too! I'm still 4 days away from starting! :crazy::sick: horrible sxs, plus just made a cut. Kept waking up every hour last night with adrenaline surges and the sweats. Have horrible depression and anxiety. I definitely think, us woman, suffer a bit more due to having both demons to battle. I'm glued to my couch and Advil is doing NOTHING. Chamomile, hot baths and heating pads are my buddies today. I try to stay away from sugar, but bought a giant double chocolate chip cookie, the size of my head that I will be digging into! :D

Hi Ladies,

Me too! I'm still 4 days away from starting! :crazy::sick: horrible sxs, plus just made a cut. Kept waking up every hour last night with adrenaline surges and the sweats. Have horrible depression and anxiety. I definitely think, us woman, suffer a bit more due to having both demons to battle. I'm glued to my couch and Advil is doing NOTHING. Chamomile, hot baths and heating pads are my buddies today. I try to stay away from sugar, but bought a giant double chocolate chip cookie, the size of my head that I will be digging into! :D

Enjoy that cookie!

Well this seems like the right thread to vent in.

Just saw my dr. He thinks I am super sensitive to Xanax. Given my increase in problems during PMS time, he now thinks I should only cut once a month, at the start of my cycle. So I'll cut down 1/4 of a pill to .125mg once my period starts this week, then cut down to .0625 when it starts in early October, then drop it when it starts in early November. Then wait another month to start tapering the Valium.

I'm feeling sad that it is taking so long to get off Xanax. I had done a partial crossover to Valium, really don't want to add more Valium since it makes me tired during the day, so I'm tapering off the remaining Xanax. I had thought I would be off by now. It seems like my taper plan keeps getting longer and longer, now due to how bad I've been feeling during PMS time the past few months. I never really had much of a PMS problem until I started tapering. Actually, it is more that feel withdrawal symptoms during PMS time rather than your typical cramps. I don't get cramps, but my sleep gets disrupted, my tinnitus spikes up, I feel dizzy and more anxious and emotional in general until my period starts.

[f8...]

Well this seems like the right thread to vent in.

Just saw my dr. He thinks I am super sensitive to Xanax. Given my increase in problems during PMS time, he now thinks I should only cut once a month, at the start of my cycle. So I'll cut down 1/4 of a pill to .125mg once my period starts this week, then cut down to .0625 when it starts in early October, then drop it when it starts in early November. Then wait another month to start tapering the Valium.

I'm feeling sad that it is taking so long to get off Xanax. I had done a partial crossover to Valium, really don't want to add more Valium since it makes me tired during the day, so I'm tapering off the remaining Xanax. I had thought I would be off by now. It seems like my taper plan keeps getting longer and longer, now due to how bad I've been feeling during PMS time the past few months. I never really had much of a PMS problem until I started tapering. Actually, it is more that feel withdrawal symptoms during PMS time rather than your typical cramps. I don't get cramps, but my sleep gets disrupted, my tinnitus spikes up, I feel dizzy and more anxious and emotional in general until my period starts.

I feel the same way. I've only been cutting once a month to cater to my dreadful PMS! I've just excepted that it will take as long as it takes. It's like making vacation plans and some unforeseen weather cropping up. Just got to adjust. These tapers should be designed around our life, not the other way around. Just be great full you have an understanding doctor who's not forcing you to keep cutting if circumstances are bad. The whole thing just sucks. I had to go, just to get through these next few days. The anxiety and depression and physical stuff are awful. I will proceed with cut once I start flowing. Feel better! :smitten:

Thanks purevida! I see you're coming off Xanax too, nasty stuff! My dr says theoretically tapering off the Valium should be easier , once I get to that point. Just got to survive these next three months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread but finding it helpful to know that this process does affect our hormones and something may not be terribly wrong. Although I am seeing my doctor today I didn't realize my period problems can be due to benzos.

My issue is that I'm 14 days late and not pregnant. I find myself in a large wave and I just can't get out of it. I've never ever been this late or missed my period before. Do you think it is benzo related? Has anyone experienced it? I'm wondering if there are things I need to do to get myself balanced or just ride it out...

Any comments or suggestions would be amazing!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread but finding it helpful to know that this process does affect our hormones and something may not be terribly wrong. Although I am seeing my doctor today I didn't realize my period problems can be due to benzos.

My issue is that I'm 14 days late and not pregnant. I find myself in a large wave and I just can't get out of it. I've never ever been this late or missed my period before. Do you think it is benzo related? Has anyone experienced it? I'm wondering if there are things I need to do to get myself balanced or just ride it out...

Any comments or suggestions would be amazing!

HI MsSmile-Welcome to the thread. Benzo's definitely mess up the HPA Axis/Endocrine/Adrenals/Periods. I'm attaching a link that you should print out and bring to your doctor. Most doctors are clueless what stopping a Benzo does to the body.

After I c/t'd I did not get my period for two months and then I got my period every two weeks for about one month and it was very heavy. Prior to coming off a Benzo I used to get my period every month despite being 51 years old. I didn't get my period for almost 5 months and I just got it last week. Stopping a Benzo definitely interfere's with your cycle and it can take months for it to balance out.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44373.0

Mine comes SO frequently now (every 19-21 days). Before my jump, I was 28 days. My PMS has become terrible. I have 5 days left until I get it. This past week has been terrible. Head rushes, dizzy, cravings really bad, terrible low back pain and headaches. Before the benzos, my PMS would just consist of minor cravings and some irritability. I also bleed so heavily now. It stinks but I think it will improve. Our bodies have changed and are healing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ladies,

I am having a similar problem... haven't ovulated at day 32 of cycle... just days and days of egg white cervical mucus.  I am losing hope.  When do people's hormones actually balance out?  I only took this poison for 5 weeks!!!!

Beckers

clonazepam at 1mg for 3 weeks, down to nothing by 5 weeks (aug 12)

zopiclone for a month after (sept 12, 2015)

hey everyone!

I was looking at support groups and stumbled upon this one.

I am 8.5 months out, and definitely find my symptoms spike hardcore before I get my period.

Also, my cycle is all messed up.

I'm looking forward to joining in on this discussion...

Hi Everyone-

My symptoms spike a lot during PMS and my period as well. It's horrible. I'm over a year out and my period has been going crazy. Ovulation gets a little rough too with bad cramps and abdominal pain. Hopefully this will end soon.

[5f...]