How risky would this be - again/Help!

[...]

I forgot to say one more thing, John (sorry for the lengthy verbage....hehehe) --

I just got a new supplement in the mail yesterday (it's like Christmas!).  It's called:  Theanine Serene, by Source Naturals.  I've had my eye on it for awhile, and decided to try it.  It has theanine, taurine, and some GABA in it.  Took two tabs on an empty stomach yesterday evening.  Then I was watching a spy thriller on PBS last night (which I normally try to avoid, because my post-benzo heartrate will start skyrocketing...) and I was just watching it very calmly.  My heartrate didn't go up at all!!!  Wow, that was cool.   This is just what happend for me, I realize, and it may not work for everyone.  I've tried all those amino acids separately though, and I knew no bad reaction was coming. 

Anyway, just wanted to "report" on these things.  I love precursors to neurotransmitters! 

adelia

p.s.  I probably would have slept well too, if it weren't for my love-struck neighbor talking loudly on her cell phone at 12:30 and one of her boyfriend's knocking down her door at 2 am....geeeeeeez). 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Pa...]

• [Js...]

• [an...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much adelia.  I'm going to read up on amino acids.  Sounds like they could help with my general anxiety issues.  Ahh ... what we put with in the name of love.  Sorry you didn't get the full benefit of your new helper but it sounds promising and maybe tonight she'll go to his place.  Do you have earplugs ?  That's how we block out our neighbor's little yap dog at 2:00 a.m.

Funny you'd bring up the drug approval process and the doctor/patient relationship as these are big issues for me and I just posted a response on the Intro board to shelleyr's post that has to do with those things.  Your use of "co-pilot" as how to view the doctor's role fits closely with my views.  I get to make the decisions.

No, I'm not on any thyroid meds.  The thought is I may have Hashimoto's disease which (eventually) results in damage to the thyroid and hypothyroidism.  Its too complicated to go into here, but in the early stages of this disease one can be hyperthyroid until enough of the thyroid dies off so as to end up hypothyroid.  As you noted, lab findings can be "pesky" in thyroid cases and so that's why the plan now is to just do some tests a month apart and see if a pattern eventually emerges.  A frustrating and confusing mess really.  Not much else I can do though.

My insurance will pay for EMDR so all it costs me is the co-pay which I can afford.  Also, if it turns out my problem is stress and the EMDR works then I'll know before the next thyroid lab tests and can abandon that rabbit trail.  Worth a shot I figure.  BTW - I don't literally think its voodoo; just a little humor there.

Thanks again for checking up on me and the amino acid tips.

John

Thanks so much adelia.  I'm going to read up on amino acids.  Sounds like they could help with my general anxiety issues.  Ahh ... what we put with in the name of love.  Sorry you didn't get the full benefit of your new helper but it sounds promising and maybe tonight she'll go to his place.  Do you have earplugs ?  That's how we block out our neighbor's little yap dog at 2:00 a.m.

Funny you'd bring up the drug approval process and the doctor/patient relationship as these are big issues for me and I just posted a response on the Intro board to shelleyr's post that has to do with those things.  Your use of "co-pilot" as how to view the doctor's role fits closely with my views.  I get to make the decisions.

No, I'm not on any thyroid meds.  The thought is I may have Hashimoto's disease which (eventually) results in damage to the thyroid and hypothyroidism.  Its too complicated to go into here, but in the early stages of this disease one can be hyperthyroid until enough of the thyroid dies off so as to end up hypothyroid.  As you noted, lab findings can be "pesky" in thyroid cases and so that's why the plan now is to just do some tests a month apart and see if a pattern eventually emerges.  A frustrating and confusing mess really.  Not much else I can do though.

My insurance will pay for EMDR so all it costs me is the co-pay which I can afford.  Also, if it turns out my problem is stress and the EMDR works then I'll know before the next thyroid lab tests and can abandon that rabbit trail.  Worth a shot I figure.  BTW - I don't literally think its voodoo; just a little humor there.

Thanks again for checking up on me and the amino acid tips.

John

:2funny: :2funny: Oh man, I thought you said amino acid trips.

Hi John,

I know about Hashimoto's, strangely enough.  I may have had it.  I see a primary care doc that is willing to treat me based on my "symptoms", so I don't have to go through the endocrinologist rigamarole...how do you spell that anyway. 

I'll be interested to hear how your EMDR treatments go. 

adelia

John,

How is your sleep going? I'm noticing insomnia is creeping back. Waiting for my evening dose of Lorazepam to kick in and hoping I'll make it until 5am.

Anna

Hey all - I've been sleeping better.  I'm really glad the cocktail is working for you Pam.  One of my symptoms is rapid heart beat with palpitations.  I'm on a beta blocker for that and it works well for the heart rate but not so well for the palpitations.  When those are bad at night I can't get to sleep.  If they aren't bothering me, though, then the supplement mix does the trick.  Before, I wasn't sleeping even when there weren't any palpitations.  Its light sleep and I wake up but get back to sleep quickly.  Lots of dreaming, too (vivid but not bad; no nightmare stuff).  All in all a victory.

Anna - I have my second visit with the psychologist today.  I don't know if she'll start therapy today or if we have some more interviewing to do.  Both she and my primary doc (who recommended her) think I'm stressing about my medical situation and, while this is not causing all my troubles, it is making symptoms worse and is probably strongly linked to my sleep problems.  I agree.  Anyway, I'll let you know how the EMDR goes once I've tried it for a while.

Thanks for checking in on me folks.

John

Thanks for asking, Pam.  I am a little depressed but doing my best to keep it at bay.  What I really am is major stressed out and anxious.  I've been slammed by arthitis, psoriasis, and the collection of hyperthyroid-like symptoms (that still haven't been diagnosed) over the last four months or so and its just all adding up.  It was on top of all that that I got hooked on the benzos.  At least I don't have that to deal with now.  My sleep is still not that great.  My supplement recipe works most, but not all, nights and even when it works the hours I get are variable.  All in all I'm just feeling hammered and don't see an out.  I worry about what the future holds for me and if I will ever get better.  That's it in a nutshell.  I just try to deal with it all one day at a time and count my blessings.

Thanks again for your concern.

John

I've never had thyroid problems, but when they took mine out last year I found out what it felt like. I was empty, I was a hollowed out shell with no energy.  It's a terrible feeling, I'm so sorry you've not been diagnosed as of yet.  Do any of the Cipro symptoms fit what you're feeling now?  Have you had arthritis before this? What kind of Dr are you seeing for your problems?

I'm sorry for so many questions, I can sure understand why you're anxious.

All the symptoms have been reported by Cipro victims so its a possibility.  However, since it can't be tested for and there isn't any cure its kind of academic.  I and all my docs seem to think its thyroid related (but I am hyper, not hypo as you were).  It doesn't really fit anything else.

I've never had arthritis or psoriasis before.  It all came on within a few months.  In addition to two primary care internists I have seen an orthopedic doc, a rheumatologist, a dermatologist, and an endocrinologist.  The ortho guy referred me to the rheumy guy who diagnosed my arthritis.  He wants me to take a chemothereapy drug that is dangerous and has lots of bad side effects.  I'm not willing to do that and am being treated with a somewhat experimental (but harmless) treatment by my new primary doc.  It'll be another month or so before I'll know if that's working, though.

The dermatoligist has prescribed cortisone creams for the psoriasis.  The endo doc is somewhat mystified but feels that something will show up in the blood work in the next month or so if what I have is a thyroid problem.  I get tested tomorrow morning.  Maybe it'll reveal something.  In the meantime I'm also seeing a psychologist for stress.  I just started with her, though, so that'll take some time, too.  How's that for a medi-go-round ?

OK, more than you probably wanted to know but hey ... you asked !  Thanks for your concern.

John

What a nightmare John, I can only imagine how tired you must be of going to Dr's and having tests.  It must make it even more difficult because of your new wariness of the medical profession in relationship to the Cipro.

I hope the psychologist will be helpful, but I'm sure the best thing would be to see an end to this madness.

John, keep the faith bud. I too am dealing with some very depressed thoughts lately, all for the same reason that you state. It's been a year for me dealing with this crap. As you know from your research that thyroid problems can be a result of a FQ reaction, alot of people report but high and low readings and it seems that many reslove themselves over time. I have not heard of psoriasis being a complication but I can say that I have has some weird skin issues over the past year as well. lastly, when we spoke you were having the arthritis issues before the Cipro/benzo wagon train correct, or did that start after. All I can say is that you are not alone and it's definitely a ride that no one should have to endure but at this point all we can do is try to be positive and go forward, as you said be thankful and take one day at a time.

Feel free to call me if you ever need to talk,

Jim

Thanks so much all.  Your thoughts and kind words mean a lot.

Jim, the psoriasis and arthritis are pre-Cipro.  Its all the thyroid symptoms that are post-Cipro (insomnia, rapid heart beat, palpitations, reduced appetite).  It all does make for a heavy load.  OK, I've got to go get blood drawn (again).

John

John, I know the feeling, I have given more blood in the past 12 months than the Red Cross could ever use. Good luck and they probably won't find anything, they never did with me. Told me I should be in perfect health, the only problem is they don't have a test for Cipro toxicity.

Be well my friend,

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Just got back.  The tests are for thyroid stuff, not Cipro per se.  I suppose that if the thyroid tests continue to be normal then I'll have to think Cipro.  If its Cipro then I guess I'm just screwed unless, as Dr. Cohen said, it all eventually fades away.

John

Hi John, Just wanted to stop by and check on you.  I'm sorry you're going through all this...especially the sleep issues.  I can relate as I started on benzos 10 years ago for insomnia.  I still have sleep problems but not every night and I'm almost done with my taper.  I started taking 1000 mg. of L-tryptophan every night a while back and it did help me as I really wasn't sleeping much at all.  I continue to take it along with Melotonin (in the form of tart cherry tablets).  I also take some milk peptide called "Relax" which I buy from the Label Me Same People but something similar can be purchased elsewhere a lot cheaper...I need to look into that.  I noticed that when I added the L-tryptophan to this mix it really helped with my sleep.  I believe that with any of these "natural" products it takes a while to kick-in and doesn't work the first night you take it (like a benzo).  I get about 5 hours of straight sleep about 3 nights a week, sometimes more but a lot of nights are just plain tough.  I've caved in a lot and have taken a Unisom pill just out of desparation but like you have vivid dreams and feel drugged/tired the next day.  Some trade off.  if you have any questions on the supplements i take just let me know.  It is a crap shoot though as what may work for some may not work for others.  I believe hours brains/bodies will heal eventually and we will get better sleep.  I depended on knocking myself out with benzos for over a decade so I'm amazed I can sleep at all now.  I count my blessings because I rarely have nights in a row where no sleep comes.

I greatly appreciate the support you've given me on some of my threads.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace,

Lyd

John, even if it's related to Cipro doesn't really mean you are screwed, just will take sometime to mend but I have spoken to quite a few people and most do get better over time.

Jim

Hi John,

You are certainly dealing with a lot right now!  So please don't despair.  Some of the conditions might actually be related, so that means when you get some progress in one area, some of the others might improve too.  You never know.... 

But I can totally relate to how overwhelming all of it can be.  I've had teeth going bad/extracted and root canals, low thyroid, car accident (I guess that's not health-related since I wasn't injured...hehe), skin cancer surgery, neck injury ongoing, other hormonal issues with hot flashes, low immune system (constant herpes viruses) -- and this isn't even counting the BENZO SYMPTOMS.  :tickedoff:

All we can do is get through one day at a time though, right?  Fix one thing at a time.  And enjoy everything we can about the day we are given.  I try to make progress in any little area and remind myself to feel good about it.  It's not what it "was", but it's what "is".  :smitten:

adelia

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.  Lyd and Adelia, you are both so right about counting blessings and I am trying to do that every time I start to get down.  Your reminders will help me to keep working at it.  And Adelia, you sure have had more than your share of medical issues !  Your attitude is admirable and you make a good role model.

And Jim and Adelia, you are both right about not assuming that things will always be this way.  My wife says the same thing - try and visualize getting better.

You have all made me feel a little better already.

John

Thanks for your kind words, John.  I notice you have a lot of those (kind words) for others around here too, and I find that very generous and very admirable of you. 

One of my favorite "mantras" I used in the first few really bad and miserable months off Klon last winter was: 

No storm can last forever. 

It sounds kind of trite, but I really thought about it.  Pictured some black storm clouds blowing in, raining really hard, thunder and lightening, and how one feels during a storm like that.  And then realized....it always goes away!  And turns to sunshine eventually.  And then I thought: 

That's right!  No storm CAN last forever.  It's physically impossible!.  And I just kept applyiing that to myself and my situation.  Knowing that things would change.  Probably when I least expected them to. 

Glad you're here, sharing your wisdom, experiences, and feelings -- no matter what they are. 

adelia

Goodness, what incredible advice! No storm can last forever. Wow.

Anna

Thanks for your kind words, John.  I notice you have a lot of those (kind words) for others around here too, and I find that very generous and very admirable of you. 

One of my favorite "mantras" I used in the first few really bad and miserable months off Klon last winter was: 

No storm can last forever. 

It sounds kind of trite, but I really thought about it.  Pictured some black storm clouds blowing in, raining really hard, thunder and lightening, and how one feels during a storm like that.  And then realized....it always goes away!  And turns to sunshine eventually.  And then I thought: 

That's right!  No storm CAN last forever.  It's physically impossible!.  And I just kept applyiing that to myself and my situation.  Knowing that things would change.  Probably when I least expected them to. 

Glad you're here, sharing your wisdom, experiences, and feelings -- no matter what they are. 

adelia