ASHTON TAPER / CUT & HOLD SUPPORT

[...]

If you got off before you can get off again. Don't read the horror stories and think It's happening to you, since I stopped reading the paranoid bull crap I've had no anxiety at all and I'm nearly done. I'm cutting 1mg a week if you can't do that do what Arcade79 is doing and be confident.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ar...]

• [Ju...]

• [et...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually found my current doctor through the recommendation of Drew28, a member of benzobuddies. I have spent plenty of time wishing it could be different but I think I am at peace as much as I can be. One day I want to go back and educate the doctors about what happened.

I sure agree about not reading the horror stories, wishing to quicken my pace as soon as a little more stable..my math was all wrong , no wonder so much desperation...I hope to settle soon and begin not a cut and hold but a dry taper daily that will compare to at least a mg a month.....imagine a mg a week...that would be great...flower

I agree to much of anything is not good. And that goes along with reading all these opinions on how to do this.

If there was one way we all would be doing that. Its individual all the time. I kept comparing myself with others who either were doing great or really bad and it has messed with my mind badly.

We all have to support each other in whatever way they go...that's all

JKS - If your benzo-wise doctor isn't yet on the worldwide "benzo wise doctors" list, I'd suggest adding it (just email the keeper of that list, Tony Pirog, at tonypirog@gmail.com).

Well this totally blows. Here thought I was being responsible by holding at this dose for an extra week. I only "slept" two hours last night?! What?!! This is such a guessing game. I hate it hate it hate it. I know some people like noklono have cut and felt better, it has even happened to me before. I wish we had instruction manuals!

Have cut to 2.5mg 3 days ago, and going well - no sxs of note on this cut yet. Don't get me wrong, I have a 'standard' set of sxs that have been happening all the way down - early morning GI discomfort, general irritability, low level depression and some headaches, but the rate of cut seems to have kept these at a manageable level. I'm happy with the pace and the progress I'm making, after several previous tapering fails.

Dave, very happy if it works for you at 1mg/week. I tried that just over a year ago from 10mg to 1mg, and things went badly pear shaped for me to the point where I reinstated the full 10mg, and have gone 0.5mg/fortnight roughly this time. We're all different. Yep, it's an "Ashton Taper" thread - a proven methodology - but generally it's a "Slower-then-the-average-Ashton" thread for many of us.

As for the "horror stories", I'm respectful of those who have had such incredible difficulties, and the protracted withdrawals. I have read a number of them at times, and the message for me is to be so very careful about taper and post-taper. I'm doing my best to avoid what they've been through or are going through.

Well back to cutting today after a very long break.

For people wondering about holding I almost felt normal and as if I was not even in W/D.

The only down side to a long hold is you kind of fear the next cut a bit.

Glad to see this thread has got some more people posting in it.

Keep up the good work cut and holders. :)

Cutting to 5mg tomorrow.  No s/x from the 5.5 and hoping it stays this way the rest of the way. A lot of trial and error in the beginning.  Wish me luck.

Bolders,

You mentioned about being careful post taper.  What do you mean by that?  By the way I am happy that you made it to 2.5 with no s/x.  You're inspiring me!

By the way my s/x if I do get them is a migraine that cause dizziness, nausea and I feel off balance.

I can't speak for what Bolder has read about post-taper dos and don'ts. But I'm now 5 weeks post-Ashton-taper and doing pretty well. I think it's important that once you reach 0 to continue babying yourself -- for me, that means staying away from coffee and alcohol, eating healthy, and continuing with stringent sleep hygiene practices, among other things. In other words, you probably can't just resume your old lifestyle without facing negative consequences.

[1b...]
I have been reading a lot of your posts. I'm very inspired by what I have read. I have been in a funk :'(. I have a somewhat challenging life these day. I want to cut .5 instead of .25 bc of the dose I am at. I wish I had all of your guys strength. I happen to been a hypochondriac and I am very sensitive and finely tuned (feel to much)  :sick:. I was wondering if I should bite the bullet and start cutting .5 till I get lower in my dose. Maybe a lot of this stuff is just in my head bc my work is slow, I'm stressed, have no life, and feel  :sick: all the time (because I sit around and dwell on it) or is it the sx's. Not sure what's real or not. If I post this on the general support board they would tell me I'm tapering to fast but let's get real I just want off this stuff! I know I will never feel perfect bc I have a baseline mood disorder as well as PTSD but with the benzo's making me sick I can't propel myself to go out and do the things I love like ride my mountain bike or trail run in the woods bc exercise make me feel worse in the end. Sorry for the rant. I'm just lonely and frustrated. I get to sick and sad to see friends or work on my career too. Any advice for my complex situation. I really want to be a trooper and push through and have a little joy ;D. I don't want to be whiner  :laugh:.

Valley Girl,

I was an athlete before I touched benzos.  I too get scared and want my old life back. 

I can't sit here and say I am always positive but I try my best.  There are times when I get scared and dwell on it I admit.

Keep telling yourself there is an end to this.  There is hope.

Hey Valley Girl

I cut 0.5 every two weeks all the way to the end. It wasn't easy but I survived and kept working, Everyone is different I guess but once I became aware of how toxic this poison was I just couldn't stand taking it any longer than was humanly possible. For the last script I ordered liquid as I intended  to go slowly but then ended up just jumping at 0.5. I used the Ashton manual as my guide. Others told me 0.5 might be too fast. But I thought I'd just try till I was proven otherwise and it wasn't too bad so kept going. Who knows though. Don't wanna say other methods are bad just wanted you to know that it's possible.

[2f...]
Hi valley girl  ;D Im 51, and I cut .5mg But I hold alot longer than most. Im holding that cut 5 weeks. I started out cutting and holding for 2 weeks, then had to slow it down, due to vertigo. I feel great and hike 30-35 miles a week.  :thumbsup: Good luck to you!

Valley Girl,

Is your sig a typo?  It says you're taking .5 in the PM?

Anyway started getting insomnia the last two days.  When I start falling asleep my brain decides to move a body part or jerk a muscle to wake me up.  Part of the deal I guess.  My psych doc gave me Trazadone for when this creeps up.  Hopefully this doesn't stay the whole way down.

Ingrid,

How did you begin hiking? Do you have hills near you..?

Did you begin walking just a few minutes, then work your way up...?

I swam in college.. My son and I use to go year round.even in snow, we went to the community indoor pool..years ago..we went 3 times a week...he ususlly brought a friend.

:smitten:

Rose

Lainey,

Sorry about your stomach.. I know it's awful.. Wish we could fast forward ....

I've not slept at all..my workout was tossing and turning.. :-[

I'm here with you.. We'll get through the day..

:smitten:

Rose

[2f...]

Rose who is that good looking man beside of you! You look sooo happy and content in the picture.  :smitten:

I began hiking with intensity in 2004. It was either hike or go insane.  :crazy: I had some issues in marriage at the time. I got addicted to the repetitive one foot in front of the other. I hike up and down hills/mtns--whatever I come across! I live in a mountainous state! I began hiking with a neighbor in 2009 and she is more gung ho than me! We hiked 5 miles this morning. I just love it. Gives me confidence in my self too, and that's essential to get through this benzo crap.  :thumbsup: