ASHTON TAPER / CUT & HOLD SUPPORT

[...]

I always took once a day (at night) all the way down. I tried splitting it a few times and found it either didnt help or made it worse.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ar...]

• [Ju...]

• [et...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I always took once a day (at night) all the way down. I tried splitting it a few times and found it either didn't help or made it worse.

Thanks so much for answering. I am paying forward and want to make sure the advice I give is current. The only change I see is the LOWER THE SLOWER as the Ashton time frame maybe to steep for some. This was corroborated  in BLISS JOHNS book BENZODIAZPINE WITHDRAWAL: All you need to know FORWARD and Reviewed by Professor Ashton.

Hi everyone,

All too often I've read here on BB posts written by fellow buddies who feel as if they don't quite fit anywhere on this forum because they've chosen to taper from their benzo per the Ashton cut & hold method. I find this very sad. I am one of those buddies, as well.

The general consensus on this forum seems to be "the slower the better" in order to feel comfortable while tapering which, for many, is not necessarily true. I, for example, have tried everything throughout my taper to make it more bearable for me to get through but nothing has worked. I've tried:

1. Holding for short, medium, long, and very long periods of time.

2. Liquid titration.

3. Shaving pills.

4. Alternate day, up & down dosing.

5. Up-dosing one day per week.

6. Combining two different benzos.

and on and on. Maybe there is some method that I haven't tried but I highly doubt it. And, in spite of it all, I've still suffered.

I don't believe there is a way to get through benzodiazepine withdrawal without suffering in one way or another. I am not trying to say it isn't possible, nor am I trying to start a war with anyone who believes otherwise. I am simply sharing my experience based on my 21 month taper (so far) and stating what I've personally come to believe.

The tagline, "The only way out is through", is commonplace here on the forum and I agree with that sentiment one hundred percent. That is exactly what we are all doing no matter what taper method we've chosen for ourselves. No, I am not pushing through symptom-free and this is definitely not my idea of fun, but I am pushing through and I am making progress. For the past 3 months I've been tapering on the conservative side of Dr. Heather Ashton's recommendations and it is working. For me, it is working better than anything else that I have tried.

So, I am hoping this thread will grow into a safe haven for us buddies who have chosen to follow Dr. Ashton's linear protocol of tapering off of benzos. A place where we can come for support without being berated for tapering "too fast". A place for those of us who choose to believe that Dr. Ashton's groundbreaking 20-something years of experience really does make sense. And really does work given the "wiggle room" that she, herself, advocates.

Many believe that Dr. Ashton's work is outdated -- I am not one of them. If you aren't either, please join this support thread and let's help each other get "through" and "out" of this together. There is no reason in the world why we should continuously be searching for that elusive 'perfect-balance' which, more often than not, only serves to prolong our suffering and make this whole mess... well, a whole lot messier!

THE ASHTON MANUAL:  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

with compassion,

koko

I think most of us would agree with you, there are several good ways to taper, but in all the ways your time table has to fit u and your sxs. 

• 1 month later...

I always took once a day (at night) all the way down. I tried splitting it a few times and found it either didn't help or made it worse.

Thanks so much for answering. I am paying forward and want to make sure the advice I give is current. The only change I see is the LOWER THE SLOWER as the Ashton time frame maybe to steep for some. This was corroborated  in BLISS JOHNS book BENZODIAZPINE WITHDRAWAL: All you need to know FORWARD and Reviewed by Professor Ashton.

What is the best way to set up 1.75 Mg's of Valium with both 2 mg tablets and 5 mg tablets available plus a Jewelers Gram Scale as well. Thanks

I dose 1x day -now 0.25v.. morning

I tried twice, with no noticable change, -for ME...

I cut n hold... About every 3 mths seems good for ME..

:)

• 2 months later...

Need, how slow does Baylissa say to taper?

Thx.

• 4 months later...

I’m currently deciding between liquid titration microtaper and a slowish Ashton method. I guess there’s no way to tell how symptomatic I’ll be, but I need to keep working full time as a professor.

I’m on 14mg Valium now but may need to go up to 20mg Valium before starting taper. Doc switched me from 1.5 Xanax to 12 Valium which seems to have included a significant reduction.

Anyone out here having success with Ashton Methis?  Are you able to work?

• 2 years later...

Bumping this group as there are a lot of us doing cut and hold with no support,  I've tried all sorts or tapers, from liquid daily micro , dry micro, smaller cuts and regardless I still end up with the same result no matter how low and slow I go I still suffer bad withdrawal symptoms so am back cut and hold and have been for quite some time now.

I cut .5mg at a time anything form 4 weeks apart to maybe longer if I need to hold at times as its too brutal to continue, and I am also long term over 20 year's on Diazepam, been up-dosed, down dosed, CT's, too rapid a taper by Dr's, was in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal for 12 year's too so wasn't in a great place when I first started trying to taper then get messed around by Dr's over the year's. Anyway this used to be a really active helpful support group and I'm hoping it will be again.  :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nova 1, I dry cut from 40Mg Valium in 2012 and ended at .25Mg in 2014. Just a little over 2 years. I was on this blog in the beginning and traveled this journey with many others. So thankful to have met so many helpful people. I’m stil here due to getting off my last medication, Mirtezapine.I’ve been off it for 7 months now and I dry cut that too. I’m here to help if I can. My blog has my journey and my progress log also has my taper schedule. I was on medications for over 20 years too. I had no idea at all the damage they could do. It was my wonder drug.  ::)  Now I know better. Let me know if I can help.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Bumping this group as there are a lot of us doing cut and hold with no support,  I've tried all sorts or tapers, from liquid daily micro , dry micro, smaller cuts and regardless I still end up with the same result no matter how low and slow I go I still suffer bad withdrawal symptoms so am back cut and hold and have been for quite some time now.

I cut .5mg at a time anything form 4 weeks apart to maybe longer if I need to hold at times as its too brutal to continue, and I am also long term over 20 year's on Diazepam, been up-dosed, down dosed, CT's, too rapid a taper by Dr's, was in unbeknown tolerance withdrawal for 12 year's too so wasn't in a great place when I first started trying to taper then get messed around by Dr's over the year's. Anyway this used to be a really active helpful support group and I'm hoping it will be again.  :)                                                             

I found the above words extremely familiar and validating.  On/off/up/down with benzos for decades, not much support, nobody who truly understands........who would ?  Who in the world would understand these brain sensations ?  Who would understand the crushing pain of past memories coming back over and over and over.    Regarding the taper - it's been 2 years and I've experimented in almost every way, shape or form to make this easier.  A couple of months ago I decided the smallest of cuts were about as painful as the larger ones.  Once I stabilize it's like my brain says "the pills aren't holding you up anymore...get off,.....it's still painful..but get off".  Jackie and Nova.....that you both for writing......again, your words were familiar and validating. 

Hi Nova 1, I dry cut from 40Mg Valium in 2012 and ended at .25Mg in 2014. Just a little over 2 years. I was on this blog in the beginning and traveled this journey with many others. So thankful to have met so many helpful people. I’m stil here due to getting off my last medication, Mirtezapine.I’ve been off it for 7 months now and I dry cut that too. I’m here to help if I can. My blog has my journey and my progress log also has my taper schedule. I was on medications for over 20 years too. I had no idea at all the damage they could do. It was my wonder drug.  ::)  Now I know better. Let me know if I can help.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks Jackie  :hug:  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I found the above words extremely familiar and validating.  On/off/up/down with benzos for decades, not much support, nobody who truly understands........who would ?  Who in the world would understand these brain sensations ?  Who would understand the crushing pain of past memories coming back over and over and over.    Regarding the taper - it's been 2 years and I've experimented in almost every way, shape or form to make this easier.  A couple of months ago I decided the smallest of cuts were about as painful as the larger ones.  Once I stabilize it's like my brain says "the pills aren't holding you up anymore...get off,.....it's still painful..but get off".  Jackie and Nova.....that you both for writing......again, your words were familiar and validating.

Hi Breck  :hug: I could not believe that even cutting 00.02 dry micro taper, which is practically a non existent cut was just as bad as much larger cut, as was the time I tried a liquid micro taper cutting only 00.01 of 1mg, and that was even worse!! I had to hold for 17 months and only managed to cut 1/8 in all that time  ?? Unreal!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Breck  :hug: I could not believe that even cutting 00.02 dry micro taper, which is practically a non existent cut was just as bad as much larger cut, as was the time I tried a liquid micro taper cutting only 00.01 of 1mg, and that was even worse!! I had to hold for 17 months and only managed to cut 1/8 in all that time  ?? Unreal!!

Hi Nova 1, so sorry to hear that a 1% cut got you into so much trouble, this really scares me, can you talk a bit more about exactly how you're tapering (off what total amount, type of taper, timing of cuts, etc.)?  Sorry to ask such a detailed question, just trying to understand the mechanics of how to safely taper and if that's even possible with stories like yours.  I'm currently a year into reinstating Ambien which I was told to cut by 25% while already being in withdrawal from another psyche med last year.  Thank you for your time and all you do on this site, it means a lot (I literally have some of your posts bookmarked and go to them when feeling low).

Hi all,

I did a 4 week crossover from A to V (3mg). The first 3 crossover weeks went pretty smooth and i was so grateful for the V however since my final switch 5 days ago and no more A in my system I feel like Acute sxs (high anxiety, palpitations, nausea, tired but wired). It's SO bad. I don't understand how this could happen. Now I'm wondering if I should have done it over 6 weeks but I cannot go back in time.

Just wondering if this will get better?

Has anyone seen this happen? I'm so scared about what I've done. I just couldn't taper the A anymore. I really want to survive this.